Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Are there must have mods for a first time player? Can they be dropped in to a campaign in progress? Only like three hours in so not a big deal if not

There is literally a goon in this thread with the only mod I've heard of for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I found the cell data cache fix on the steam forums and a few different placed. It seems to fix the problem for everyone - the cause is definitely some sort of corrupted cell data, and the game has to be very badly programmed for it to force an instant hard reset of the whole computer, which it does. Just BOOM as if the power were cut, not even like crash to blue screen. It seems to be a pretty common problem too.

I suppose it could also be a problem with a faulty component that is only faulty in that specific edge case but... yeah, why is this the only game thats ever hit it if so?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Is there a place in particular where the prawn grappling arm can be found? Or a way to drive my cyclops into the jellycaves?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

HexiDave posted:

I've updated the mods (into their own repository), and included a new one - it now performs an auto-save every 5 minutes. Available here:

https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods/releases/tag/v1.0

It doesn't hitch too badly on my machine - about 1 second pause every 5 minutes is something I can live with.

I've got a few more coming:
- Removing/reducing impact damage when driving the Seamoth; I hate slamming into a little fish and getting mangled
- Reducing the time/energy for the Water Filtration machine to something better - maybe 1/4 the time and energy
- Remove the possibility of starting a fire in the Cyclops at Flank speed, maybe the cavitation as well
- Reduce the energy use of the Cyclops

I've got some other ideas for QoL changes, but I'm interested in any other ideas.

This release doesn't work for me, same issue as this guy: https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods/issues/1

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Zachack posted:

Is there a place in particular where the prawn grappling arm can be found? Or a way to drive my cyclops into the jellycaves?

You can ledge-jump the prawn out of there. It might take a few tries, mind you; consider bringing an extra powercell or two.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zachack posted:

Fragment RNG can mean needing to check multiple wrecks even if you know where they are intended to spawn, for example in my current save I unlocked the drill and saw plenty of spares, but only found one grapple part in the blood kelp wreck.

Other reputed wrecks for grapple arms are in the grand reef, and underwater island.

If it's even possible to cram your cyclops into the jellycaves I'd hate to make the attempt. Two cargo pods are standard alongside the perimeter defense and depth module on my Seamoth for a reason.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 17, 2018

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I found the cell data cache fix on the steam forums and a few different placed. It seems to fix the problem for everyone - the cause is definitely some sort of corrupted cell data, and the game has to be very badly programmed for it to force an instant hard reset of the whole computer, which it does. Just BOOM as if the power were cut, not even like crash to blue screen. It seems to be a pretty common problem too.

The game is just a userland process, it shouldn't be able to make that happen. Something like that is more likely a gpu driver bug.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I was thinking the same thing, but I dont know why the CellCache data would be triggering a gpu driver bug for people though? Cant argue with the fact that it fixed the problem though. Went from 100% crash rate to no problems at all.

Its gotta be the game doing something wonky thats triggering some flaw in the hardware or software but who the hell knows what it could be.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

HexiDave posted:

I've updated the mods (into their own repository), and included a new one - it now performs an auto-save every 5 minutes. Available here:

https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods/releases/tag/v1.0

It doesn't hitch too badly on my machine - about 1 second pause every 5 minutes is something I can live with.

I've got a few more coming:
- Removing/reducing impact damage when driving the Seamoth; I hate slamming into a little fish and getting mangled
- Reducing the time/energy for the Water Filtration machine to something better - maybe 1/4 the time and energy
- Remove the possibility of starting a fire in the Cyclops at Flank speed, maybe the cavitation as well
- Reduce the energy use of the Cyclops

I've got some other ideas for QoL changes, but I'm interested in any other ideas.

If it's possible to un/re do the "aurora power efficiency module" affects battery/cell chargers and also reduces energy cost of update module that would be excellent.

Energy cost adjustments for silent run might be nice.

If it's possible to toggle the outside of the Cyclops to be buildable on again that would be a big win.

If you're adjusting the water filtration, maybe nuclear rods should go up in power too? (It's still dumb they're basically 1 to 1)

Is personally love a Cyclops bio reactor panel in the engine room, but that gets into modeling problems.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Section Z posted:

Other reputed wrecks for grapple arms are in the grand reef, and underwater island.

If it's even possible to cram your cyclops into the jellycaves I'd hate to make the attempt. Two cargo pods are standard alongside the perimeter defense and depth module on my Seamoth for a reason.

If I remember right I found my grapple arms mostly around a wreck south of the blood kelp trench (it's kinda-sorta south of wreck in there even.)

And no, I'm pretty sure you can't get a cyclops into the jellyshroom caves without an inane amount of effort put in (which would require an equal amount of effort to get it back out.)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TheParadigm posted:

Is personally love a Cyclops bio reactor panel in the engine room, but that gets into modeling problems.
There used to be a realtime power display in the engine room, which was how I was able to nail down when they bugged the thermal reactor to take literally 300 minutes at peak performance to recharge ions (And then confirm when they ported it to live).

While the display icons of what modules you put in they replaced the working power readout with are cute, it doesn't really do anything meaningful.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 17, 2018

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Zachack posted:

In my play through I only found the grapple arm(and cyclops engine) in and around the floating islands wreck. Not the big isle, the one covered in bonesharks.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I found plenty of grappling arms in both the Grand Reef wrecks. But they were all deep inside, I think it took a laser cutter AND a repair tool AND a propulsion gun to move debris in order to get to them, as welling as noticing and swimming down several corridors.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

wolrah posted:

This release doesn't work for me, same issue as this guy: https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods/issues/1

Oh woops, I don't have an automated packager yet - there were files missing from the release archive. Re-download and try again.

TheParadigm posted:

If it's possible to un/re do the "aurora power efficiency module" affects battery/cell chargers and also reduces energy cost of update module that would be excellent.

Energy cost adjustments for silent run might be nice.

If it's possible to toggle the outside of the Cyclops to be buildable on again that would be a big win.

If you're adjusting the water filtration, maybe nuclear rods should go up in power too? (It's still dumb they're basically 1 to 1)

I'll look into this stuff tonight, too.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What are some clever uses for floaters?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

oh jeez a creepy alien thing just went 'wtf m8' at me telepathically and i want to stop playing now :cry:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

GlyphGryph posted:

I suppose it could also be a problem with a faulty component that is only faulty in that specific edge case but... yeah, why is this the only game thats ever hit it if so?

Userland software like Subnautica categorically cannot trigger flaws like this without a driver or hardware bug.

Fortunately, those aren't exactly in short supply.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

oh jeez a creepy alien thing just went 'wtf m8' at me telepathically and i want to stop playing now :cry:

Hey that just means it’s too far away to possibly eat you

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Ciaphas posted:

that startled the poo poo out of me the first time, and every time after as well.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Zachack posted:

One solution if your prawn gets stuck in the jelly cave is to stick a few foundations to the walls. You technically only need 2, as you can hop up then deconstruct the lower one.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ciaphas posted:

If it talks to you, it doesn't want to eat you, it wants something from you.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Section Z posted:

There used to be a realtime power display in the engine room, which was how I was able to nail down when they bugged the thermal reactor to take literally 300 minutes at peak performance to recharge ions (And then confirm when they ported it to live).

While the display icons of what modules you put in they replaced the working power readout with are cute, it doesn't really do anything meaningful.

I was wondering what happened to this! yeah, that was super useful and i loved being able to pop in and check battery status in the battery room.

HexiDave posted:

Oh woops, I don't have an automated packager yet - there were files missing from the release archive. Re-download and try again.

I'll look into this stuff tonight, too.

thanks, and wow, my phoneposting spelling is bottom of the barrel. I hope that came through understandably!

Even enabling a 'cyclops power status bar like bases have' when you're aboard would be useful.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I finished the game last weekend, and my only complain besides the bugs is the lack of endgame content (seriously, I spent the last few hours with a bugged thermal knife that would spew bubbles, in or out of water, whenever it was in my inventory and not in my hand), I really wanted to go on cool adventures with my Cyclops once I got it kitted out, but I only ended up really using it to visit the lava zones, and only once. I was hoping that I'd need it for long treks deep under the surface, where the ability to grow food and repair the prawn would be important.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wait can stuff like my seaglide not take powercells, why did i build this power cell charger then, it can't charge batteries

wadafuq

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ciaphas posted:

wait can stuff like my seaglide not take powercells, why did i build this power cell charger then, it can't charge batteries

wadafuq

Powercells are like bigger batteries, you'll need them for the larger vehicles.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

TheParadigm posted:

thanks, and wow, my phoneposting spelling is bottom of the barrel. I hope that came through understandably!

Even enabling a 'cyclops power status bar like bases have' when you're aboard would be useful.

No worries; I had to look up the first one because I actually didn't remember that, but it's probably do-able.

And the sub power notification idea is great - looks like it's easy, so I'll be trying that soon.

Edit: Yeah, it was - I'll build it into a mod soon

HexiDave fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 17, 2018

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Slanderer posted:

I finished the game last weekend, and my only complain besides the bugs is the lack of endgame content (seriously, I spent the last few hours with a bugged thermal knife that would spew bubbles, in or out of water, whenever it was in my inventory and not in my hand), I really wanted to go on cool adventures with my Cyclops once I got it kitted out, but I only ended up really using it to visit the lava zones, and only once. I was hoping that I'd need it for long treks deep under the surface, where the ability to grow food and repair the prawn would be important.

Yeah my Cyclops ended up being my Prawn Suit’s chauffeur. Still feels cool to get next to a deep cavern and deploy my mech suit, though, and have my sub act as a temporary base of operations for the span of a few excursions.

I really, really love this game. I think it’s pretty amazing how they made underwater traversal not disorienting or sluggish. The level of obtuseness, both in its mechanics and storytelling, strikes the perfect balance for me. They nailed the sound design. The animals and plant life are beautiful and frightening. The writing is superb, too: even what would be dry scientific bestiary entries are short and sweet. The computer lady in your head is serious when it matters, but often has lines that remind me of a more low-key GladOs from Portal. (Paraphrasing: “This biome meets at least seven of the nine criteria for instilling terror in humans”, “Prawn suit operators must undergo several weeks of training to unlearn the feelings of invincibility that occur”, etc.)

There are so many gratifying moments: first getting the higher capacity oxygen tank, then the Seaglider, then the Sea Moth, then both the Cyclops and the Prawn Suit... Each step feels like such a huge movement forward, and yet I never felt overpowered, or even completely safe.

It’s early but this is a Game of the Year contender already. drat.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007
I wish this game had a hunting only mode. I haven't seen them yet, but being able to hunt a sea emperor dragon sounds like it'll be baller.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Compared to the Reapers and Ghosts the Sea Dragons are kind of loveable goofballs, really.

They just swim around yelling at stuff and occasionally stop to look at you and sometimes spit fire at you but usually just move along. I got un-scared of them within 5 minutes whereas those other types of aggro leviathans scare the willies out of me.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Ciaphas posted:

wadafuq

Build the battery charger instead? :confused:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Still no sign of battery charger plans, or laser cutter for that matter which is REALLY cramping my style at this point

I've built a moonpool, bioreactors, food farms for aforesaid, and a seamoth and I can't make a laser cutter? :mad:

(e) That tantalizing sounding scanner room, too, need more fragments for that thing.

(e2) Found a time capsule which was amusing and also had an ion power cell and ion batteries, dunno when I'd get those normally but my seamoth sure ain't complaining :v:

Atlanton
Mar 23, 2013
I've been cruising around for a couple hours in my seamoth looking for fragments (still no cyclops fragments) and I realize I still haven't found any reason to build a base. It just seemed like a lot of materials for something that I don't see the utility of.

Am I a big doofus for not building a base? And is there a place I can put it that puts me close to good resources?

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
Added the power indicator to the Cyclops as part of this mod pack:
https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods/releases/latest

I'll be doing other things this weekend, but I'll try to make some more of the changes mentioned earlier.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Atlanton posted:

I've been cruising around for a couple hours in my seamoth looking for fragments (still no cyclops fragments) and I realize I still haven't found any reason to build a base. It just seemed like a lot of materials for something that I don't see the utility of.

Am I a big doofus for not building a base? And is there a place I can put it that puts me close to good resources?

Some people like an early base mostly for storage. Once you get the scanner room it's probably a good idea to put one down.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ya'll keep posting about time capsules that contain ion stuff meanwhile all the ones I open have loot that is just insulting.

A bottle of water? Really?

Atlanton posted:

You need a base for easy storage of your materials. You need materials for obvious reasons. If you aren't storing it somewhere easily accessible then you will need to keep running across the map to make new gear you aren't carrying the reagents for. Also without a base you can't power the scanner room to make tracking down materials easier. Recharging batteries and vehicles is also only possible with a powered base, and that's much easier than constantly crafting new power cells and batteries. Finally, vehicle and gear modification cannot be done without their respective powered stations.

The thing is, a base itself mostly just takes titanium. If you are only building practical stuff then the only other thing you'll need will be some sort of power source. Exotic materials mostly go into crafting new gear. Its not like setting up a main base is a huge resource drain unless you are focused on aesthetics over pure utility.

As far as I know you can actually go full nomad though once you get the cyclops since its basically a massive mobile base. You should probably focus on getting it if you don't wanna settle down.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 17, 2018

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
My large, submersible son is ugly, but powerful:

Do not put spotlights on my son - he does not like them:

I'll tinker with the code a bit more so it's reliable. I might be able to get standard in-base equipment to stick to it, too - they get placed, but aren't attached properly.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

HexiDave posted:

My large, submersible son is ugly, but powerful:

The Sea Emperor is proud of you.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I guess I can make a Cyclops now before I can even make a scanner room. Ok????

Gotta figure out how to get stalker teeth though, don't actually have any weapons besides ol' stabby.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Ciaphas posted:

I guess I can make a Cyclops now before I can even make a scanner room. Ok????

Gotta figure out how to get stalker teeth though, don't actually have any weapons besides ol' stabby.

Stab him. He will swim away. Then swim after him. Then stab him again. This is how our ancestors hunted. This is how you, too, must hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I mean I was able to murder one successfully by using a battery in a roundabout way* but I didn't see any teeth or anything anywhere. Wonder if I was supposed to harvest the corpse with the knife a la Monster Hunter.

stabbing a sea predator sounds like my nightmares :cry:

* ramming in seamoth and subsequent repair