Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Japan’s “Greatest Generation” were the ones doing war crimes but also ended up getting rich because the occupying forces needed them after. They still vote right wing if they’re alive.

One time when I worked eikaiwa a middle aged lady told me how yes, her father was in the war. “He was a, uh, what do you call it? Ah! Yes! A Class B war criminal!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
At Chinese New Year festivities with extended family and I can't figure out how they do this sober.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

At Chinese New Year festivities with extended family and I can't figure out how they do this sober.

As far as I can figure it out, practice and repetition. Are you playing mahjong with aunties yet?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Incidentally, one of these days I’m going to get enough money to start my own restaurant and I’m going to start a beef noodle place called 牛肉麵cer and there’s nothing you can do to stop me.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pirate Radar posted:

As far as I can figure it out, practice and repetition. Are you playing mahjong with aunties yet?

Chinese versions of board games I'm not familiar with.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

Incidentally, one of these days I’m going to get enough money to start my own restaurant and I’m going to start a beef noodle place called 牛肉麵cer and there’s nothing you can do to stop me.

This is incredible.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Atlas Hugged posted:

all of the liquor everywhere isn’t for decoration FYI

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
In case anyone wanted to watch the whole thing....gawd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAypU093wtY

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Atlas Hugged posted:

I bought all of the Mountain Dew in southern Taiwan.

when you're making a list of reasons no one likes you don't forget this one

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
A good article about life in a Chinese prison.

https://www.ft.com/content/db8b9e36-1119-11e8-940e-08320fc2a277

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

paywalled

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

I'm just waiting for the goon to be like "no, that's wrong! It's actually..."

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

"famous/expert/celebrity"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

The Great Autismo! posted:

all of the liquor everywhere isn’t for decoration FYI

Just because they don't drink doesn't mean I wasn't.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

This was an awesome read. A bizarre postscript to this guy's ordeal is that the lady he was investigating for GSK was rehired by GSK after he was released from prison. It almost seems like by imprisoning this guy, the Chinese government was sending a message to GSK not to mess with this lady and keep her on the payroll.

https://www.ft.com/content/87ff00ae-39d1-11e5-8613-07d16aad2152

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Anyone else sick of seeing the Kunming knife attack brought up every time there's a mass shooting in the states?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

CIGNX posted:

This was an awesome read. A bizarre postscript to this guy's ordeal is that the lady he was investigating for GSK was rehired by GSK after he was released from prison. It almost seems like by imprisoning this guy, the Chinese government was sending a message to GSK not to mess with this lady and keep her on the payroll.

https://www.ft.com/content/87ff00ae-39d1-11e5-8613-07d16aad2152

Nobody here pays for FT, please repost the article

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
yesssss, now i'm not the only one

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

TsarZiedonis posted:

Nobody here pays for FT, please repost the article

If you copy the link in google search, it'll take you to the article.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

uguu posted:

:aaaaa:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

uguu posted:

Except for when it doesn't, and just leaves you at the subscribe page.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
For the most part, I've been having fun now I'm not literally, actually dying, but today I nearly caused a motorcycle crash by existing. Dude drove past me, did the "WHAT THE gently caress A FOREIGNER" doubletake and twisted his upper body back to stare at me despite the wet roads, causing him to skid across two lanes.

Actually, still having fun.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I'm doxxing myself.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
The original FT article is huge (>4500 words), so I've copied it into a google doc for y'all to read.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16iuPG7hCrVclCXr-SzeUnkhXLxtnAqUnu637_mlYPAE/edit?usp=sharing

Here's the accompanying video that is embedded with the article
https://streamable.com/449lu

And here's the follow-up article about the lady being rehired by GSK

quote:

GlaxoSmithKline has rehired a former senior Chinese employee who was suspected of being the whistleblower behind bribery allegations that led to a £297m fine for the UK drugmaker in China.

GSK said on Monday that Vivian Shi had rejoined the company almost three years after she was removed as the group’s head of government affairs in China.

Ms Shi was the focus of an internal GSK investigation in 2013 that identified her as the suspected “orchestrator of a smear campaign against GSK” including a covertly filmed video of the group’s then-head of Chinese operations in bed with his girlfriend.

She was never proven to be responsible for either the video or a series of whistleblower emails detailing the bribery of doctors for which GSK was eventually found guilty by a Chinese court last year. One report in 2013 said she “flatly denied” involvement in any campaign against the company.

GSK would not say whether Ms Shi had returned to her previous job or a different role. “We can confirm we have rehired Vivian. We are not going to comment further on an individual employee.”

Her reinstatement marks another twist in a saga that has badly damaged GSK’s reputation and sales in China and prompted investigations by the UK Serious Fraud Office and the US justice department.

GSK is slowly trying to rebuild its credibility in China — one of the world’s biggest and fastest-growing pharmaceuticals markets — after issuing a public apology for its corruption.

Ms Shi was fired by GSK in December 2012 “on the grounds of alleged irregularities in her travel expenses”, according to the subsequent internal investigation into her potential role in the whistleblower emails and video.

“GSK believes Vivian orchestrated the attack but the company has no direct evidence of this,” said the report by a private investigations company, seen by the Financial Times.

The inquiry — dubbed “Project Scorpion” — was carried out by ChinaWhys, whose British founder, Peter Humphrey, and his US wife and business partner, Yu Yingzeng, were later jailed for illegally obtaining private information about Chinese citizens. They were released in June after nearly two years in prison.

GSK has always stressed the investigation into Ms Shi was commissioned by Mark Reilly, former head of its Chinese business and the subject of the covert video, rather than by its London headquarters. He left the company last year after he was found guilty of bribery and deported from China.

ChinaWhys was paid about $18,000 by GSK in 2013 to conduct “a discreet and confidential investigation into Vivian’s background, track record and political influence, as well as an assessment of the planting of the hidden camera in Dr Reilly’s apartment”. The video was assumed to have been intended to cause “irreparable damage” to Dr Reilly’s reputation.

Ms Shi was found by ChinaWhys to have “many senior government contacts” in China’s medical and pharmaceutical sectors but she did not have “any privileged access to public security organs”. The report said she was probably “capable of and responsible for the smear campaign against GSK and Dr Reilly” but acknowledged there was no hard evidence to support this conclusion. GSK said Ms Shi was not available for comment.

The group has repeatedly insisted it welcomes information from whistleblowers about corporate malpractice and has no interest in finding out their identity. It has said ChinaWhys was hired by its Chinese unit to investigate a “serious breach of privacy and security”.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

CIGNX posted:

The original FT article is huge (>4500 words), so I've copied it into a google doc for y'all to read.

awww thanks man <3

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Bajaj posted:

I'm doxxing myself.

Glad your girlfriend figured out how to hide her fivehead.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Bajaj posted:

I'm doxxing myself.

Wat

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

the guy has since had his arms drained of synthol and the woman has used her eyebrow power to become the most powerful thai ever

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Bajaj posted:

I'm doxxing myself.

I'm sorry.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Bajaj posted:

I'm doxxing myself.

Me too

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

This is excellent. :discourse:

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

weg posted:

I'm sorry.

Yoko Ono ruins another band.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

ladron posted:

the guy has since had his arms drained of synthol and the woman has used her eyebrow power to become the most powerful thai ever

Eyebrow power. Most powerful thai ever. I don't follow, is that a thai thing?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
oh my god that google doc article:

quote:

he company hired ChinaWhys, a risk-advisory firm based in Shanghai, to investigate
no why

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
i believe they misspelled wise

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Cry Havoc posted:

i believe they misspelled wise

maybe they just really like dragonball super

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Bajaj posted:

I'm doxxing myself.

Fooly...Cooly?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Power Khan posted:

Eyebrow power. Most powerful thai ever. I don't follow, is that a thai thing?

yeah, having giant painted on eyebrows is definitely a thai middle aged lady thing. not to that level, but I have seen a few that were close

edit: it's kind of the thai equivalent of the korean adjumma afro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cnut
May 3, 2016

Wanna motorboat those brows.

• Locked thread