Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

there are four tits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

there are four tits!

settle down, gene

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

counterfeitsaint posted:

That "Well hello" might be the best delivered line in all of Star Trek.

Ezri was great because in 1 season she was in more amazing scenes than Jadzia was in 6, even if season 7 overall was weaker. In addition to the one you linked, there's also Ezri destroys the Klingon way of life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as886JnsjtQ&t=71s

And Garak destroys Ezri:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLp_HJl-0nI

It's one of my goals in life to deliver an amazing :iceburn: and then end it with "Now get out of here, before I say something unkind."

Ezri isn't my favorite character, but compared to Jadzia there is no contest. Ezri was interesting, Jadzia was super boring.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Ezri is the Poochie of DS9. At least Jadzia got to have fun adventures with her Klingon friends.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mulaney Power Move posted:

what was that horrible cg star trek fan movie where seven of nine's daughter is going around on the bridge of starfleet ships wearing hot pants and a sports bra with her gigantic hooters hanging out? i think the plot was the borg assimilate a zergling or something.

Ah, yes, for science... Please.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

quote:

10/18/2000. Drive 2.5 stars — Torres and Paris' relationship takes a twist on the eve of a shuttle racing event Paris has entered, celebrating the anniversary of a peace treaty in a former war zone.
:ohdear:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Smythe posted:

Ah, yes, for science... Please.

Inquiring...minds...want to know.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Maybe a Star Trek Online storyline? That sounds like an amalgam of every dumb thing I’ve ever heard about that game

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The LP that PoptartNinja did of ST:O had a better storyline than most Voyager episodes. Because a Cardassian was the captain and he wrote a storyline where nobody trusted him and it was...well, not awful.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pay attention to the scene in the mess hall, and watch B'Elanna turn a healthy and soundly-decided breakup into clingy obsession.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Just do loss.jpg next time.

But like, in reverse because its Lindsey Ballard.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The extensive back-story, screen-time, and character development over the seasons really made me care about what happened to Ballard.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Does anyone remember that DS9 episode where Miles fell in love with his phaser?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

MA-Horus posted:

The LP that PoptartNinja did of ST:O had a better storyline than most Voyager episodes. Because a Cardassian was the captain and he wrote a storyline where nobody trusted him and it was...well, not awful.

Is that in archives or is it still readable as a gold thread?

Also Ezri's actress did pretty good for the situation she landed in. They could have let Dax die but they did something interesting and showed it in a completely new host. If Paramount hadn't made the show runners smash two seasons of planned content into one season seven Ezri probably would have gotten a lot more interesting.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pay attention to the scene in the mess hall, and watch B'Elanna turn a healthy and soundly-decided breakup into clingy obsession.
Good episode.

I think it's a shame that the Tom and Harry episode never really got developed and neither did their characters. The show starts off with them being best buds, brothers from another mother, one an overachiever, the other a missfit. Then it stops. Tom turns into a couch. At least Harry is always Harry.

I'm convinced Neelix is the main character of Voyager and everything else is incidental.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

numberoneposter posted:

Good episode.

I think it's a shame that the Tom and Harry episode never really got developed and neither did their characters. The show starts off with them being best buds, brothers from another mother, one an overachiever, the other a missfit. Then it stops. Tom turns into a couch. At least Harry is always Harry.

I'm convinced Neelix is the main character of Voyager and everything else is incidental.

Aside from the race that's largely just Neelix commenting over moving icons on the Astrometrics screen.

And B'Elanna talking herself out of breaking up with Tom for quite sensible reasons.

And the marriage proposal coming off sounding like a poor attempt to save a relationship they both know has failed than something truly heartfelt.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I mean in terms of 6 seasons deep. Tom Paris and Harry Kim, and Bellan, and Chakotay, all barely have characters, each are still a pastiche of an established trope. Kes was lucky to get out early. The beloved and honorable Ensign Ballard has a more developed character than those four.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I mean, they might not have learnt any lessons from Enterprises fuckups at all, so trying to once more shoehorn the Borg into the story ahead of time is very likely. I don't want it to be, but it still is.

Honestly the only interesting Borg story at this point is if the non-queen ones (New Cooperative) start assimilating willing people in the Alpha Quadrant en masse. We would get a moral quandery about free will, the future of mankind within a giant AI construct and possible 'splosions as people try and retrieve those assimilated by violent means.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

numberoneposter posted:

I mean in terms of 6 seasons deep. Tom Paris and Harry Kim, and Bellan, and Chakotay, all barely have characters, each are still a pastiche of an established trope. Kes was lucky to get out early. The beloved and honorable Ensign Ballard has a more developed character than those four.

The maquis friction fizzled out after like an episode except when the whole episode suddenly had to revolve around it again. That's the thing I'd most like to see changed.

Honestly though, all characters became kind of redundant after 7 of 9 came in and was immediately better at doing the jobs of Be'lanna in Engineering, Tuvok in logic, Harry in... well he just kinda did everyone else's jobs anyway, but also in tactical(?) where he nominally was. She took over from Tom Paris in the interesting bits of being the doctor's assistant (their episodes together are one of VOY's savign graces though), but on that note she also pretty much tool the "learning to be a real human" limelight from Doc too, right down to her singing. She superseded Neelix in the local social/species knowledge about what they'd encounter, and to cap it all muscled Chakotay out of the "telling Janeway to go gently caress her stupid plan out an airlock" role.

Hell, she even cooks better than Neelix in Series 7, which sure, Neelix's thing was "lol his food is terrible" but then it started to flip-flop and "at least it isn't the replicators" has been a thing in quite a few episodes.

Think of any episode, and she switches in for almost any character you like. Disease? Cured with nanoprobes. Technology? Nanoprobes. Anomoly? Sensors upgraded with borg technology. Combat? Borg shield enhancements. Telepathy? Begins assimilation to create a new Collective of two with the cortical node link that comes with it.

Transwarp? Got it.
Subspace distortion? Species 394873984 have records of this anomoly.
Wily adversary? The a;oerivjseiouvr people have a method for dealing with them, I still have the memories from when I was assimilated.
More accurate than the ship's computer too.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 17, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

simplefish posted:

The maquis friction fizzled out after like an episode except when the whole episode suddenly had to revolve around it again.
7 of 9 came in and was immediately better at doing the jobs of Be'lanna in Engineering, Tuvok in logic, Harry in... well he just kinda did everyone else's jobs anyway, but also in tactical(?) where he nominally was. She took over from Tom Paris in the interesting bits of being the doctor's assistant (their episodes together are one of VOY's savign graces though), but on that note she also pretty much tool the "learning to be a real human" limelight from Doc too, right down to her singing. She superseded Neelix in the local social/species knowledge about what they'd encounter, and to cap it all muscled Chakotay out of the "telling Janeway to go gently caress her stupid plan out an airlock" role.

Hell, she even cooks better than Neelix in Series 7, which sure, Neelix's thing was "lol his food is terrible" but then it started to flip-flop and "at least it isn't the replicators" has been a thing in quite a few episodes.

Rick Berman mandated that the division between the crews had to be done and dusted by episode 3 of season 1. Because he wanted that sweet syndication money from being able to see any episode without the poor audience being confused by continuity.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Rick Berman mandated that the division between the crews had to be done and dusted by episode 3 of season 1. Because he wanted that sweet syndication money from being able to see any episode without the poor audience being confused by continuity.

That makes a lot of sense, now that you say it. Although, I hadn't seen any Voyager regularly past Series 2, and only a couple past Seven's arrival. And then I saw a few episodes on TV and Barclay was there and Voyager was in contact with Earth and I was all wtf.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 17, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

simplefish posted:

That makes a lot of sense, now that you say it. Although, I hadn't seen any Voyager regularly past Series 2, and only a couple past Seven's arrival. And then I saw a few episodes on TV and Barclay was there and Voyager was in contact with Earth and I was all wtf.

One of the major failings of Voyager is just abandoning functional technology improvements over a minor quirk or failure. The fault of the Slipstream Drive is that even with the Delta Flyer riding ahead providing navigation data things start erroring out over long distances and whoops planet in the face. Worked fine over a short distance and they shave years off the trip, but into the bin the whole idea goes.

What do you mean "short frequent bursts?" :confused:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Being in one syndicated series is nice, two is better.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I don't think writers will try to make the Borg morally gray, like sure they cure all diseases, end poverty and all that jazz, but so does every species besides Bajorans.

Borg have no self determination, and that's like such a huge deal in a galaxy where there are like 7 different occupations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And B'Elanna talking herself out of breaking up with Tom for quite sensible reasons.

And the marriage proposal coming off sounding like a poor attempt to save a relationship they both know has failed than something truly heartfelt.

You've been on a ship with the same ~150 people for years. You're only going to see those 150 for basically the rest of your life. If you want to be a sex haver, you've got like 50 people to hook up with if you're hetrosexual, probably less for B'lena since she's a grumpy half-klingon. The only other dude who has shown any interest in her is that one vulcan, and he only wants to bone every 7 years.

Situation sucks.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Aside from the race that's largely just Neelix commenting over moving icons on the Astrometrics screen.

At that point it's like 4-5 years into a 70 year trip so everyone has already paired up with their fuckbuddies for the rest of the trip. Both of them figured out that it would be better to be miserable and be together than to spend seven decades jacking it to holo-neelix.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

You guys can have your bio-women, I'll be on Holodeck B with Minuette.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Riker had already hosed every biological organism and probably Data and three exocomps by then though very understandable and different

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

i think you mean marayna

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I like the throwaway line in the ep where everyone is popping oak over the psyche-imprinting sex slave and riker grins and says hes goin to the Holodeck

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

You could go real weird with the borg, like they’re actually a memetic virus that evolved over civilisations, the living concept of technological enhancement for technological enhancement that acts as a kind of end-state waiting out there for species if they go a certain path. They’re like hey wouldn’t it be cool if my brain was quicker and then as a society they make a series of logical sounding decisions, a good intentioned paved road, then boom, their entire species assimilates themselves and anyone nearby and their massive collective brain power figures out transwarp communication, reaches out and finds the rest of the borg waiting to hook them up.

naem
May 29, 2011

chaosbreather posted:

You could go real weird with the borg, like they’re actually a memetic virus that evolved over civilisations, the living concept of technological enhancement for technological enhancement that acts as a kind of end-state waiting out there for species if they go a certain path. They’re like hey wouldn’t it be cool if my brain was quicker and then as a society they make a series of logical sounding decisions, a good intentioned paved road, then boom, their entire species assimilates themselves and anyone nearby and their massive collective brain power figures out transwarp communication, reaches out and finds the rest of the borg waiting to hook them up.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Borg should not have had a queen. Should not have a king either.

What is the point of the collective if it still has hierarchy? Hive mind should mean hive mind, no leader, no single head to cut off. All decisions by all drones based on all information at all times. Something that literally cannot be emulated by the Federation or other species.

Space Communism Now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

chaosbreather posted:

I like it. Doctor Who's version of the borg is the Cybermen, and over 50 years of shows + terrible novels they've had several incompatible origin stories. The most recent episode featuring them had them spontaneously originating on a stranded spaceship, apparently independently from other occurrences. The Doctor was all yeah, when humans get to a certain level of technology they always start using cybernetic enhancements, and it always turns into cybermen. :shrug: It's just something humans are prone to doing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

simplefish posted:

What is the point of the collective if it still has hierarchy? Hive mind should mean hive mind, no leader, no single head to cut off. All decisions by all drones based on all information at all times. Something that literally cannot be emulated by the Federation or other species.

Space Communism Now.

You know how in theory communism was supposed to have self-rule, but the philosophers who thought it up figured illiterate farmers wouldn't actually be able to manage that, so they would need interim leaders until the proletariat could be educated? And then every single time it was tried the interim leaders decided that actually they knew best and shouldn't step aside ever? Same thing happened to the Borg.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Yeah but the Borg have perfect information, don't dissent (since they all submit to superior situational information and agree on the decision making process because it's the same one for each drone ir distributed computing node or however you want to phrase it), have no personal goals, basically live forever anyway, and all of the interim crap is handled with a swift injection of nanoprobes

I know it's not communism really, but still. A true hivemind with the sole aim of running the universe like clockwork with no surprises was cool, until they mapped rank and children and The Greater Good (good for the Borg) and other human poo poo onto it.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm going to seize the means of nanoprobe production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

simplefish posted:

The very idea of the 'hive mind' comes from insects that have definitive queens and rigid hierarchies.