Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Page repost

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

It's the worst if you use it in whip mode, true. The standard mode however causes a lot of stagger and you can basically stun lock standard enemies one on one just by spamming R1. Even works on the werewolves which is counterintuitive since you'd normally want the serrated damage bonus against them.

I had a fun time with it as my starting weapon. It's very versatile.

Its stagger is no better than the other two options in exchange for worse damage. Nearly every single weapon in bloodborne can infinitely stunlock basic enemies with R1s, that's not a special feature

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Is the Outcast remake good? I loved the original back in the day.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Incredible

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The best comment on that video "oh no im in russian youtube again"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm so glad they finally added fidget spinners.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Looks like PaRappa the Rapper Remastered got an update today (version 1.02). Not sure what it's for, though. Stage 4's timing is still hosed up.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Is the Outcast remake good? I loved the original back in the day.

Playing it on PC (PS4 port seems to be the same): it's pretty much the same as the original with better graphics. A lot of jank, same dialogue, sounds (just cleaner) and controls fine with a controller.

It's the same game as the 1999 version gameplay wise so if you liked the original, you'll like this one too. My advice is to wait until it gets a decent sale because playing it on 2018 for full price depends way too much on nostalgia.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Guillermus posted:

Playing it on PC (PS4 port seems to be the same): it's pretty much the same as the original with better graphics. A lot of jank, same dialogue, sounds (just cleaner) and controls fine with a controller.

It's the same game as the 1999 version gameplay wise so if you liked the original, you'll like this one too. My advice is to wait until it gets a decent sale because playing it on 2018 for full price depends way too much on nostalgia.

It's 50% off in the current US flash sale. $19.99

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Not on the EU store wich has different deals (and only a few of them sadly).

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Prey was pretty cool but I think I'd enjoy it a million times more on PC. The load times are ridiculous in the later game and fighting the mimics with a controller is not fun at all.

Bash the mimics with your wrench

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bust Rodd posted:

In No Particular Order:

Resident Evil 7
Nioh
Horizon: Zero Dawn
TLoZ: Breath of the Wild
Neir: Automata
Prey
The Surge
Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
Cuphead
Observer

Here’s every game released in 2017 if you wanna debate it, but for real I had more fun with Prey than I did with any of the big cinematic masterpieces of last year, it was like someone understood what was good about Bioshock and gave you way more of that. It’s by no means perfect (low enemy variety hurts it and the ending is rushed) but I’d rather enjoy a game for 20 hours and then get a weak ending than slog through a game for 20 hours to get an amazing ending (N:A does have an amazing ending sequence, but the gameplay isn’t good enough that I’d have finished it without everyone on Earth insisting it’s worth it)

I'm sorry, but I dont see Yakuza 0 anywhere on your list, I presume thats some sort of typo?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve never played a Yakuza game

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

It's a good game for if you like good games.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They seem like Sleeping Dogs but with more mini games and better writing instead of guns and cars? Or am I getting a misread?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veni veni veni posted:

What's your PSN? I'll help you beat some bosses if you get stuck.

Personally I'd recommend 3 over 2 all the way. 3 is so much better imo. I really don't think it's any harder than 2 either, maybe for the first 2 hours but they are all around the same difficulty.

psn: weekdaynachos

That’s really nice of you, thanks :) tbh though I don’t do much multiplayer gaming but feel free to add me if we’re not already friends. I’ll tackle it solo but if I get too desperate I might shoot you a haaaaalp message.

You know, I’ll stick with 3. It can’t be that much more difficult and what you said seemed true to me. It felt better and more uh reasonable I guess to play than the others.

Anything I should know about being a shield coward early on? Stats, things to look for/know about, etc?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

Anything I should know about being a shield coward early on? Stats, things to look for/know about, etc?
Not all shields block 100% of damage, you need to carefully eyeball the damage reduction numbers, and their stability stat affects how much stamina gets used up when you block a hit.

While I prefer DS2 to any of the others, it's not the best suggestion for someone wanting to use shields because full physical defense shields are hard to come by for a while.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Bust Rodd posted:

They seem like Sleeping Dogs but with more mini games and better writing instead of guns and cars? Or am I getting a misread?

And about 100 hours more content

Yakuza 0 is also probably the funniest game I’ve ever played. The game effortlessly switches between male soap opera and comedy. “Better writing” doesn’t do it justice.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Finished SotC. I never played past Colossus 3 in the orignal and did not spoil myself. I feel like I need to let the ending sink in. I wanna go straight to ng+ on one hand but on the other I don't feel ready to spoil the experience by repetition, if that makes sense.

Also I know it is pretentious to say it normally, but if you asked me for one game that shows that games can be art, this would be the one I'd name. It is so impactful in its minimalism and offers so little to distract you from exploring you own feelings towards your deeds while it excells at immersing you in a strange world with only a sliver of a story ...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Its river city ransom 3d

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bust Rodd posted:

You should play yakuza 0. Its a prequel so you arent missing anything by starting there (it was my first one too). It is like sleeping dogs in as much as its an open world game that contains a lot of over the top violence and a decent number of contextual melee finishers, but its not as much of a GTA game as sleepydogs was. I've heard it compared to Shenmue, but I never played Shenmue so I cant speak to that at all. The guns in the game are rare, but you can get a couple and use them in the fights if you want. The combat makes me think of Final Fight, if they had ever made a good 3D final fight. No driving at all. The open world is small, but densely packed with actual stuff to do. Some of the sidequests are amazing and hilarious and the main story is rammed with ridiculous melodrama and soap opera. And yes, a lot of minigames. A whole lot of minigames. Including karaoke and disco dancing rhythm games, darts, pool, claw machines complete ports of Space Harrier and Outrun. Honestly, as much as I love Neir Automata, Yakuza 0 was my absolute game of the year.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I was browsing my purchased library and noticed The Last of Us Remastered showing up in my purchased library. I've never actually bought the game. Is this some sort of lame preload and buy after deal or what?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Jorbs posted:

I was browsing my purchased library and noticed The Last of Us Remastered showing up in my purchased library. I've never actually bought the game. Is this some sort of lame preload and buy after deal or what?

No its probably a demo you got at some point. Some sony demos are the full game locked behind like a small digital key file or whatever that downloads after purchase so the game thinks its a full game in the library but when you launch it it isnt

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

No its probably a demo you got at some point. Some sony demos are the full game locked behind like a small digital key file or whatever that downloads after purchase so the game thinks its a full game in the library but when you launch it it isnt

did TLOU have a demo?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Idk

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

It was a pack-in download for a while so a lot of codes got given away? Came with mine, I redeemed but never installed until I remembered like six months later.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I still have to finish Yakuza 0 but between that and Titanfall 2 (I know it's a 2016 game) are my favourite of the year.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yakuza 0 is a goddamn blast and I’m hyped for 6.

And Prey also owns. It’s too bad it’s probably never getting DLC/a sequel.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wonder how Arkane is doing now.... :ohdear:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know right? I wasn't huge on Prey myself, but they are a great dev. It sucks that they just double bombed financially.

Between that and TEW2 doing poorly we are in dark times for the 10-20 hour finely crafted experience genre.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Prey bombed early because of confused marketing and porting issues and TEW2's poor sales were likely in part due to the first game being very bad.

The SotC remake lighting up the charts shows that it's probably not indicative of a larger trend.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I honestly wonder if that game would have done better with a different title instead of Bethesda literally going, "We have the Prey license, can you put that name on something"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I honestly wonder if that game would have done better with a different title instead of Bethesda literally going, "We have the Prey license, can you put that name on something"

There were a lot of people who review-bombed it from the start just because it had the audacity to besmirch their beloved "Prey" series.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

There were a lot of people who review-bombed it from the start just because it had the audacity to besmirch their beloved "Prey" series.

I mean, the cancelled Prey 2 did sound pretty awesome, but it’s not like it was cancelled to make Prey.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Prey bombed early because of confused marketing and porting issues and TEW2's poor sales were likely in part due to the first game being very bad.

The SotC remake lighting up the charts shows that it's probably not indicative of a larger trend.

If nothing else it's probably indicative that people are more willing to go in on a lower price point for something they can easily finish in a week. SOTC also had the advantage of being one of the most beloved games ever made.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The '15-ish hour story action game' seems to be Sony's first party studios bread and butter right now do I don't think they're going anywhere just yet

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'd probably buy a new 8-10 hour story-based game with non-horrible pixel art production values at the $30-40 price point every week if they came out that frequently.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I wish the new God of War was coming out this month.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kilometers Davis posted:

I wish the new God of War was coming out this month.

After watching all the Game Informer vids about the upcoming Dad of War, my passing interest has now transformed into... hype? For a God of War game? I dunno, I think it might actually end up being rather good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sakurazuka posted:

The '15-ish hour story action game' seems to be Sony's first party studios bread and butter right now do I don't think they're going anywhere just yet

The games are very different of course, but I still laugh that they published The Order: 1886 and Bloodborne so close to each other. Like did a bunch of Sony execs all see a Twilight or Underworld movie at the same time or something that we got two radically different AAA games from the same publisher within a month about a secret religious blood cult that hunts werewolves in grimdark fantastical Victorian London?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I'd probably buy a new 8-10 hour story-based game with non-horrible pixel art production values at the $30-40 price point every week if they came out that frequently.

Same