Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i seem to have this problem where i overlook the easy way to clear a screen and spend 10 or 20 minutes doing it in a very specific and hard way that is totally unnecessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'd discovered the trick taught in 7B on accident back in the A-sides and thought that it was a cool little thing but couldn't see how it would be useful in situations.

Then 7B opened my eyes, and the C-Sides taped them open.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

precision posted:

i seem to have this problem where i overlook the easy way to clear a screen and spend 10 or 20 minutes doing it in a very specific and hard way that is totally unnecessary

gotta go fast carry on

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
you know what

3b sucks

my 722 deaths on 4b isnt the greatest but i got through it. gently caress these red dust bastards. im gonna have like 2k by the end of this

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Quotey posted:

you know what

3b sucks

my 722 deaths on 4b isnt the greatest but i got through it. gently caress these red dust bastards. im gonna have like 2k by the end of this

I thought I was the only one. 3B felt much harder to me as well. I had 1300 deaths, 2X that of my next highest.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I've played through all the A sides, and 1-4B, 3B was the hardest level for me by a good margin. I also have more deaths on 3A than any level besides 3B.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I am of the opinion that 3 in general is just flatly harder than 4 or 5 regardless of which side you're comparing. You guys ain't alone, 3 is wack.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Add me to the list of 3B is the worst thing so far. The red blob timing is just so specific / quick and doesn't feel fun to die to repeatedly.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, I'm of the opinion that 3B was one of the hardest B sides. The blobs are a lot more nasty than what you have to face in the ones shortly after 3B.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It turns out the IRL Mt. Celeste has some Google Maps reviews.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ShadeofBlue posted:

I also have more deaths on 3A than any level besides 3B.

Weird, I just finished 3A and found it easier than 2A

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
I just beat 6C! 120 deaths. I really enjoyed this one for some reason. That's half of them done.. I'm starting to think I might actually have it in me to 100% this game (disregarding golden strawberries).

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I think Im going to have a million deaths by the end of the Summit's B Side

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I think I already know the answer to this but is there some kind of timing trick aside from "get good" to timing the wall bounce perfectly? Specifically, in loving 5C like 60% of my deaths are just at the very first one, but funnily enough I can consistently get to the spiky passageway after that. Of course, the first wall bounce in there is a bitch too.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Argue posted:

I think I already know the answer to this but is there some kind of timing trick aside from "get good" to timing the wall bounce perfectly? Specifically, in loving 5C like 60% of my deaths are just at the very first one, but funnily enough I can consistently get to the spiky passageway after that. Of course, the first wall bounce in there is a bitch too.

I use a visual cue when maddie is next to the wall i push jump

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I never have a problem hitting jump at the right time, there seems to be a ton of leeway on that (or it's just easy for me idk). The tricky part for me is dashing up at exactly the right place to have the wall on your side. The only way that worked for me was to beat it into my visual/muscle memory by dying 20-200 times.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Oh my god you guys weren't kidding about Chapter 3's B side. That just made me straight up mad with the game for a good chunk of it. I managed to record this and I'm honestly amazed it happened or I had the foresight to record it after it happened.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/964614387888660480

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

my buddy Superfly posted:

Oh my god you guys weren't kidding about Chapter 3's B side. That just made me straight up mad with the game for a good chunk of it. I managed to record this and I'm honestly amazed it happened or I had the foresight to record it after it happened.

I think that there's a segment like that second room in 7A so you might have come in with some timing idea from there. It might be from 3C though, I can't remember. Either way, nice work!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I literally died hundreds of times in that room.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I see you too are what I can only describe as a 'celebratory ducker'.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Meanwhile I've started celebratory jumping

https://twitter.com/japtor/status/964399770671267840

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
gifs of this game in action are so heartbreaking because they always seem like the most normal poo poo to do when theyre in thirty second clips

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Few screens further into 3B, hate it even more!!

e: it's done! apparently i was being a big baby, and 379 is my death total. Amusingly enough, my 3A death count is 388...

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 17, 2018

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I wish there was a toggle you could turn on to see a successful run of a room complete with all the deaths you incurred in it. Just to hammer home how many different ways you can find to die to things in harder rooms.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

FPzero posted:

I wish there was a toggle you could turn on to see a successful run of a room complete with all the deaths you incurred in it. Just to hammer home how many different ways you can find to die to things in harder rooms.

i want a statistics screen that tallies not just the obstacle you died most to in a room, but also which obstacle wasted the most of your time (IE dying on the first jump a lot doesn't mean much, but if you die at the last obstacle that can be upwards of 30 seconds of lost progress each)

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It's just not right to not let Madeline do a dance after beating a tough room.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ahh, man, 4B might be too much for me. I think I've hit my stop. :(

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Ahh, man, 4B might be too much for me. I think I've hit my stop. :(

Every single time I thought I had hit my limit with this game, I ended up proving myself wrong. This has happened at least 4 or 5 times now.

Most recently, I thought I was finished after beating 1C. No more, I thought, maybe I'll just mess around and try to get some of the golden strawberries in the early A-sides.

Now I've finished all but 2 of the C-sides, only 3C and 8C to go.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Hell yeah. Clearing a B-Side room on the first try is an amazing feeling, it certainly didn't happen to me very often

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FPzero posted:

Oh yah like the Super Meat Boy ghosts you'd see when you beat a level? I would love that

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

goferchan posted:

Hell yeah. Clearing a B-Side room on the first try is an amazing feeling, it certainly didn't happen to me very often

when you just get into the groove of things and are making it through rooms with barely any deaths it feels soooooo good.
this game's got such a great rhythm to it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Augus posted:

when you just get into the groove of things and are making it through rooms with barely any deaths it feels soooooo good.
this game's got such a great rhythm to it

they should do a crossover with Necrodancer with D-Sides where you can only input commands along to the beat :suicide:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Awesome. Beat all the B Sides. 8-B was hell - I could just not deal with the movement of the fireballs reliably. Got by far the most deaths there. But even though I comparitively breezed through it, 3-B will always hold a special place in my heart as a LEVEL I loving HATE. I'm really not very good with the timing for things going back and forth, and the level is absolutely riddled with those. Well, now I've gone through 1-C, 2-C, 4-C and 5-C, so I guess I shouldn't delay 3-C any lo-

- sees very first screen on 3-C -

gently caress this, I'm doing 6-C

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

Awesome. Beat all the B Sides. 8-B was hell - I could just not deal with the movement of the fireballs reliably. Got by far the most deaths there. But even though I comparitively breezed through it, 3-B will always hold a special place in my heart as a LEVEL I loving HATE. I'm really not very good with the timing for things going back and forth, and the level is absolutely riddled with those. Well, now I've gone through 1-C, 2-C, 4-C and 5-C, so I guess I shouldn't delay 3-C any lo-

- sees very first screen on 3-C -

gently caress this, I'm doing 6-C

Regarding that screen: It's not nearly as bad as you think. Once you get past the first blob, just dash up right as soon as you touch each crystal, and you'll clear them every time.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, the first two screens on 3-C are not that bad at all. The third screen, on the other hand...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Regarding that screen: It's not nearly as bad as you think. Once you get past the first blob, just dash up right as soon as you touch each crystal, and you'll clear them every time.

That's good to know... I'm not quite sure why it is, but I'm really bad at back-and-forth moving obstacles like the red-black anxiety clouds, or the fireballs. With those, it often comes down to seeing the gap at the right time, rather than precision, and I make panic decisions with those rather easily.

Like, all those precise boosted walljumps in 5-C or whatnot? Not much of an issue. The long corridor of fireballs in 8-B, with dash crystals surrounded by cycling fireballs? Pure hell. Aaaaaargh

I'm gonna fuckin beat this thing, I'm so close

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I beat 7C yesterday.. that final screen killed me like 400 times. Felt amazing to finish though! I think a patch must have made that screen harder at some point recently. I've seen a lot of videos where at the halfway point of the final screen people were able to just double-dash over the section where it wants you to do a super-walljump on a tiny block. For me there was a big wall of spikes blocking that route off.

All that's left now is 3C and 8C... wonder if I can really pull it off.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Torquemadras posted:

That's good to know... I'm not quite sure why it is, but I'm really bad at back-and-forth moving obstacles like the red-black anxiety clouds, or the fireballs. With those, it often comes down to seeing the gap at the right time, rather than precision, and I make panic decisions with those rather easily.

Like, all those precise boosted walljumps in 5-C or whatnot? Not much of an issue. The long corridor of fireballs in 8-B, with dash crystals surrounded by cycling fireballs? Pure hell. Aaaaaargh

I'm gonna fuckin beat this thing, I'm so close

Pretty sure you know this by now, but just in case you don't - you always respawn at (what the devs consider) an advantageous cycle, so it's in your best interests to move immediately upon respawning when it comes to moving obstacle rooms.

You can do this!

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

It is done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CznZTBT8HAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.