Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The Unquoteable One's dogged refusal to acknowledge that a woman has a right to free agency is very disappointing. Why must you invent malevolent intentions for an aspect of somebody's personal life which is really none of your business?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i'm just wondering how much more of a pariah he must be made into regarding his extremely public misogyny before he is finally dumped

getting excoriated in the news by reporters clearly wasn't enough although it seemed close since she refused to even have her name mentioned in association or her picture taken

and now it's the court calling him an indefensible he-man woman hater

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

why?

google is going to quietly give him his job back and he'll be on wingnut welfare the rest of his life, they're set

lol if you think she's still with him for any reason other than financial ones

he's already fialed to hop on wingnut welfare and google has no reason to rehire him at all

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

President Beep posted:

thread’s moving closer and closer to silicon valley fan fiction.

but women not wanting anything to do with the rear end in a top hat main characters is a recurring theme

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
well, again we can't assume that she might have the savvy to want to wring him for all the alt-right cash coming his way before dumping him because that would make her basically a sex worker

i suppose her actual reasons are inscrutable but we can definitively say that they are wrong and we are right and she should know better (note: i am not arguing this, the previous was ironic)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
still, let us not lose sight of the real victim here: google

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

maybe y'all should actually read the rest of that article that HP quoted a paragraph of because it actually talks about her motivations and stuff: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/16/james-damore-google-memo-interview-autism-regrets

quote:

Damore’s girlfriend was overseas on 5 August, the day she received text messages from friends urging her to click on a link to the tech website Gizmodo, where the memo had been leaked under the headline “Here’s The Full 10-Page Anti-Diversity Screed Circulating Internally at Google”.

Damore had not told her about his document, and her initial impression was that it was horrible. But after reading it a few times, and discussing it with him, her position mellowed; she even came to agree with one or two of his points. She maintains Damore was, for the most part, naive and wrong, but in the process of defending him she lost friends. She believes there was no need for Google to fire him; they could just as easily have taken corrective action.

it's also the one where damore blames this all on his ~autism~ which is gross as hell so enjoy that i guess

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/964666661935644672

I wish we could just vote stymie off the proverbial island already

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
why? stymie is fine, y'all are the ones getting stymied

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cool startup feel posted:

i'd shed some tears over government stomping labour, but if that toucan faced fuckhead had been a union member he'd be going to a company sponsored diversity workshop instead of being unemployed right now, so whatever. he made his bed

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

infernal machines posted:

i'd shed some tears over government stomping labour, but if that toucan faced fuckhead had been a union member he'd be going to a company sponsored diversity workshop instead of being unemployed right now, so whatever. he made his bed

a diversity workshop was one of the things that triggered his awakening lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://mobile.twitter.com/explanoit/status/964679432890933249

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
the kids are alright.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

silence_kit posted:

Usually when a material absorbs IR, it absorbs visible light too.

Now that you mention it, there might be a way to engineer reflectors on both sides of the cell to force IR light to make multiple round trip passes in the cell until it is absorbed, and force visible light to only make 1 pass through the absorptive cell. Then the cell could absorb IR much more strongly than visible light.

edit: I just googled hot mirror coating—I’ve never heard of that before—an important distinction between a hot mirror coating and Shifty Pony’s solar cell is that the hot coating reflects the IR and does not absorb it. Shifty Pony’s solar cell needs to absorb the IR light in order to convert it into electricity.

lol @ the condescending tone up until the "oh wow id never heard of that!!" edit

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

wow there are so many smart people in this thread i feel like a real nincumpoop

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

you hedge against a collapse of the industry you work in by investing in everything but that industry

drat it feels good to be a bankster

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JawnV6 posted:

lol @ the condescending tone up until the "oh wow id never heard of that!!" edit

welcome to yospos

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
there is nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there is nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others

wrong account, fishmech

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Seriousky though, why do you engage Stymie?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

crabrock posted:

wow there are so many smart people in this thread i feel like a real nincumpoop
:same:

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

JawnV6 posted:

I’m not trying to condescend—I’m just explaining, partially to myself, how the the optics of Shifty Pony’s frequency-selective solar cell work.

I’m sorry if you interpreted it that way!

Tavistock
Oct 30, 2010

cool startup feel posted:

the bruenig's delete their tweets after a day, what did this say?

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

silence_kit posted:

I’m sorry if you interpreted it that way!

the most humble of apologies

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

CommunistPancake posted:

the most humble of apologies

well I’m sorry you don’t like it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm sorry you're too stupid to understand what i was saying

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

i'm sorry you're too stupid to understand how i wasn't being condescending, no less

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’m sorry you’re both so tragically stupid as to get into arguments on the internet

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

I’m sorry you’re both so tragically stupid as to get into arguments on the internet
liked and subscribed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

oh yeah? well i'm sorry your face looks like that

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
tesla model 3 touchscreen design working about as well as you expected it to in practice

quote:

The user says the glovebox was jammed closed by the Model 3's big tablet-like screen that broke in the accident. The screen no longer functioned, so the glovebox couldn’t be opened—its access is controlled entirely by the screen, like many functions on the Model 3. This meant that the owner had great difficulty accessing their insurance documents, the owner said.

Next, the screen construction itself seems to be a source of some issues. When the car crashed, the passenger’s arm hit the screen, causing it to shatter and giving him some cuts. The injuries were minor enough, but the screen still caused injury, CNET said.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

infernal machines posted:

oh yeah? well i'm sorry your face looks like that

I'm sorry your monitor is not turned on

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

FMguru posted:

tesla model 3 touchscreen design working about as well as you expected it to in practice

:lol: why the gently caress is the glove box latch controlled by a tablet? At any rate, don't worry, Ole Musky is on the case:

quote:

Musk eventually heard about these issues and proposed a few fixes that he thought would work. He said that an upcoming update would allow the glovebox to automatically open if the Model 3 detects a sudden stop.

So now instead of just making an ordinary mechanical latch like every other loving car in the world, slamming the brakes too hard causes the glove box to pop open and sore your poo poo all over the floor.

This truly is the car for Gizmo obsessed techie dipshits.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mrmcd posted:

slamming the brakes too hard causes the glove box to pop open and sore your poo poo all over the floor.

lmao. this is truly the muskiest solution possible

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

why is the loving glovebox electronically controlled?! :psyboom:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mrmcd posted:

:lol: why the gently caress is the glove box latch controlled by a tablet? At any rate, don't worry, Ole Musky is on the case:

So now instead of just making an ordinary mechanical latch like every other loving car in the world, slamming the brakes too hard causes the glove box to pop open and sore your poo poo all over the floor.

This truly is the car for Gizmo obsessed techie dipshits.

or, it opens in a crash and provides a nice, sharp edge for the passenger to smash their knees into.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

hobbesmaster posted:

wrong account, fishmech

you are younger than 35

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

everything in the car is controlled with the touchscreen because that's the future

want to open the glovebox? press this button on the touchscreen!
want to move the airflow from the vents? move this crosshair on the touchscreen!
want to adjust the cruise control speed? drag this slider on the touchscreen!
open the frunk or the charging port? touchscreen!
check your speed or the status of your turn signals? they're right there in the corner of the touchscreen, dummy!
open the loving doors? not the touchscreen, amazingly! but the door handles are an electrical button so they don't work if the car runs out of power. in that event, there is a manual release hidden under the armrest, but you aren't supposed to use it because it can rip off the door trim if you do.

sum total of physical controls: pedals, wheel, headlight/windshield wiper, drive mode selector, and two scroll wheels.

but it's fine because ol'musky says you won't be driving yourself anyway, any day now...

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
> want to open the glovebox? press this button on the touchscreen!

WHAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Everytime I see that interior I'm shocked at how unattractive it is