Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I feel the exact opposite. I chug along with satisfactory performance for a lot longer on iPads than iPhones. I still use my old Mini 2 all the time, I just mostly upgraded to the Pro because I wanted to have a big screen once in a while and also to use it more as a laptop replacement.

Heck, my iPad 2 still seems serviceable, shame about it not being upgradable to a non-ancient version of iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

ufarn posted:

iPads seem to feel very old very quickly so I wouldn't go too many generations back. Browsing alone takes forever, especially on my iPad 3(?). Even my Air can be slow with Tweetbot sometimes.

The reason yours feels old is that the iPad 3 performs similar to an iPad 2 in spite of the faster processor, because it’s pushing more pixels with the Retina display.

So essentially yeah, your 5.5 year-old device which performs like a 6.5 year-old Device should definitely be feeling a bit slow by now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ufarn posted:

iPads seem to feel very old very quickly so I wouldn't go too many generations back. Browsing alone takes forever, especially on my iPad 3(?). Even my Air can be slow with Tweetbot sometimes.

This is probably just because they don't release new ones as often as they do phones. iPhones released at the same time as those would also feel slow. Probably more so since they have all the phone stuff to do in the background that the iPads don't.

Anyway, checking prices, a used 16 GB Air 2 is $210 in "fair" condition on Swappa, and more like $300 for something you'd actually want to buy. A new 32 GB 2017 is $329 from Apple, and they've been on sale from other retailers for $100 off pretty frequently.

(Not that an Air 2 is a bad device, but with the 2017 being as cheap as it is, it's hard to make an argument for buying one unless the marginally better screen is really important to you.)

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Unless they fi)d a way to make Face ID work sideways, won’t the next iPad have to have two or three of them?

Touchid was cool because it worked in any orientation and was fast. If they put faceid at the ‘top’ then when you held it sideways your hand would likely cover the sensor. Will be interesting to see how they handle this. Maybe two or even three notches?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ultimate Mango posted:

Unless they fi)d a way to make Face ID work sideways, won’t the next iPad have to have two or three of them?

Touchid was cool because it worked in any orientation and was fast. If they put faceid at the ‘top’ then when you held it sideways your hand would likely cover the sensor. Will be interesting to see how they handle this. Maybe two or even three notches?

I'm picturing a notch that runs all they way around the perimeter of the screen. It will be called the "FaceID Band".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think they will make an edge to edge iPad, so a notch won't be necessary.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They just did a refresh on the big iPad didn’t they? I have a first gen Big iPad but it doesn’t seem like they changed a whole lot this time around.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Do you mean the Pro 12.9"? It got a faster processor, TrueTone screen and has the new higher refresh rate. Basically it’s now exactly like the original 10.5" Pro in terms of features.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

New to the ipad, how can I add more "desktops" to the thing? What I mean is right now I have center, left, and right desktop/screen/stuff where the icons are placed. Ideally I'd like to create more for different types of applications.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Do you mean you want more screens of icons? If so, long press an icon until they all go jiggly, then drag an icon to another page.

Also if while in “jiggly mode” you drag one icon over another you can create a folder.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Ah, I see. That's how it works. Thanks a lot!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
You can also grab groups of icons with iOS 11 when you get jiggly with it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man wouldn't a full screen ipad ala the iPhone ecks be pretty cool

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Man wouldn't a full screen ipad ala the iPhone ecks be pretty cool

No, it's nice to have bezels to hold it

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
How do I stop the YouTube icon from appearing in my dock when I plug in headphones? I have “show suggested and recent apps” off.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Hey folks. My mother in law has been using my partners iPad for the two years since I gave it to her. The time has come for it to return to its rightful owner, so we are going to buy an iPad for the old lady.

Her needs are very basic, and she wants something cheap. I looked at the refurb store and there are iPad Air 2s available (with more storage) at a similar price to the current non-pro iPad which is only 32GB without spending another hundred pounds. iPad Air 2 is 3 Years Old at this point though so closer to obsolescence, but how much is that going to matter for someone who will only use it for Netflix, writing emails, and working on stuff in Google Docs?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm still using my Air2, it works great on iOS 11. I'd always go for the one with more storage.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Nice one, thanks for the suggestion. I had been inclined to go for the refurb Air2 and it’s good to know there isn’t much difference.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's debatable but the Air2 display looks better IMO, it's a different screen covering.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
On the other hand, if you’re looking for longevity, I personally wouldn’t count on the Air 2 for much longer. The original Air has moved to “pretty poo poo” in the last two months, imo.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

On the other hand, if you’re looking for longevity, I personally wouldn’t count on the Air 2 for much longer. The original Air has moved to “pretty poo poo” in the last two months, imo.

Nah, it hasn't, mine's still running nicely on iOS11.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I managed to convince her in the end that springing £70 extra for a 128GB current 9.7” iPad was worth it. It’s enough of a storage bump over what we were considering for the Air2 and this is a laptop-replacement device so she might end up putting lots of photos on it.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Welp my pro made a pop sound this morning, got stuck in a scrambled-graphics reboot loop

Tried wiping it thru itunes and it seemed to be working again until I added more touchID fingerprints and it started rebooting again

Rip in piss ipad, I now need to spend some time with a Genius ™️©️®️

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Open a video on YouTube in safari
Make sure you're signed in
Hit play
Hit the "Flag" button in the bottom right of the video
Don't press anything on the dialogue that pops up
Hit your home button

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Looked over the last few pages, so I apologize if I missed this, but is there a go to keyboard case for a 5th gen 9.7 iPad? We are looking to get away with no computer at a second house. Wife got a new iPad from work and would like to use it for the few days a month when we are there. Thanks!

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Snowmankilla posted:

Looked over the last few pages, so I apologize if I missed this, but is there a go to keyboard case for a 5th gen 9.7 iPad? We are looking to get away with no computer at a second house. Wife got a new iPad from work and would like to use it for the few days a month when we are there. Thanks!

This is almost definitely what you'll want:

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/slim-folio-ipad-keyboard-case?cvosrc=affiliate.cj.7293438

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Does anyone know of a place that has quality cases for the Air 2? My Smart Case went in the trash a while back (the front cover was coming apart, I'm not sure why). I hit the local Apple Store but they've pretty much stopped carrying cases for that (I forgot I bought this thing 3+ years ago D: )

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I got an Anker keyboard case for my Air2 and it's the best purchase ever. It was less than €40 and the build quality is exceptional.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you just want a replacement, Best Buy still sells air 2 smart cases.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mike Danger posted:

Does anyone know of a place that has quality cases for the Air 2? My Smart Case went in the trash a while back (the front cover was coming apart, I'm not sure why). I hit the local Apple Store but they've pretty much stopped carrying cases for that (I forgot I bought this thing 3+ years ago D: )

Uh Amazon dot com?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Somehow Walmart had a Smart Keyboard for sale at $49.99. But online and other Walmarts had it for the full price. Assumed it was a pricing error at the register, even questioned it. “I dunno man, I can sell you this for $149 if you really want me to” the cashier said.

This keyboard is sick. Not 150 dollars sick, but definitely worth it for 50. I’m already assuming all of the thread readers have at least tried out the keyboard to know its surprisingly good given the thinness. But man this is awesome.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

buglord posted:

Somehow Walmart had a Smart Keyboard for sale at $49.99. But online and other Walmarts had it for the full price. Assumed it was a pricing error at the register, even questioned it. “I dunno man, I can sell you this for $149 if you really want me to” the cashier said.

This keyboard is sick. Not 150 dollars sick, but definitely worth it for 50. I’m already assuming all of the thread readers have at least tried out the keyboard to know its surprisingly good given the thinness. But man this is awesome.

For the 10.5, not out-of-production 9.7?

Regardless, a great bargain. I have the Smart Keyboard and it owns bones.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Sorry. The 9.7. Even though it’s out of production it’s seemingly impossible to find cheap accessories for it.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

buglord posted:

Sorry. The 9.7. Even though it’s out of production it’s seemingly impossible to find cheap accessories for it.

That’s curious. Over here I struggle to get 10.5 accessories (cases, mostly; Apple stuff is stocked), while there is a ton of 9.7 stuff.

The 9.7 has a Apple case + Smart Cover, while the 10.5 only gets a Smart Cover. Searched high and low before I eventually imported a nice Khomo case that matches my leather Smart Cover.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm getting my first iPad :)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Over There posted:

I'm getting my first iPad :)

Great job! I used mine every single day and honestly can’t imagine not having it around.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

MarcusSA posted:

Great job! I used mine every single day and honestly can’t imagine not having it around.

That's awesome. The only thing I wish it that I could use it for work. I'm sure I'll love it though.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Getting an iPad this weekend, and debating between the regular and Pro 10.5.

I watch a lot of video on my tablets, so the better screen on the pro is tempting, in addition to the better internals since I don't have a laptop.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Go with the pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Pants Donkey posted:

Getting an iPad this weekend, and debating between the regular and Pro 10.5.

I watch a lot of video on my tablets, so the better screen on the pro is tempting, in addition to the better internals since I don't have a laptop.

The last iPad I had was an iPad two, and just never bothered to upgrade, because everything seemed so blah after that.

I finally bought a 10.5 pro and don’t regret it, it’s a huge upgrade and borders on perfect.