Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JustJeff88 posted:

The JCPenney thing was depressing to me because it showed me how stupid people are. Not that I didn't already know that, but it will saddens me to have it shown so clearly. Basically being tacitly told that people are thundering dumbfucks who like to be emotionally manipulated is a bitter pill to swallow.

Yeah it really shows how JC Penney's recent executive direction was stupid as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

JustJeff88 posted:

The JCPenney thing was depressing to me because it showed me how stupid people are. Not that I didn't already know that, but it will saddens me to have it shown so clearly. Basically being tacitly told that people are thundering dumbfucks who like to be emotionally manipulated is a bitter pill to swallow.
Kohl's operates on the same model. I've had one or two people go "I like going there because everything is always on sale!"

Apparently it never quite connects that if there's always a sale, that's actually the normal price & the normal price is the "we're legally obligated to have this not on sale sometimes, but feel free to buy it when it's more expensive" idiot tax.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Idiot tax funded by coupon loopholes when I worked there though so that's nice.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Haifisch posted:

Kohl's operates on the same model. I've had one or two people go "I like going there because everything is always on sale!"

Apparently it never quite connects that if there's always a sale, that's actually the normal price & the normal price is the "we're legally obligated to have this not on sale sometimes, but feel free to buy it when it's more expensive" idiot tax.

Kohl's still ends up being a reasonable discount on the normal retail price for the same items at other stores though.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

JustJeff88 posted:

This is one of my favorite charts. Same question, same meaning but different word choice.

And look at that swing. Brains are ridiculous.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Is green yes and green no, or is green no and green yes?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Sorry, the first one.

Here's Americans in general:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

FCKGW posted:

:byodood: "I'm colorblind, gently caress you!"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/964621782253699072

That's 200 out of 500 stores.

Interesting to see a grocery chain go down.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How do you gently caress up selling a product that absolutely every human who's ever lived needs to obtain on a regular basis?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

PT6A posted:

How do you gently caress up selling a product that absolutely every human who's ever lived needs to obtain on a regular basis?

By being real bad at capitalism?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

PT6A posted:

Discount chains and premium chains are both getting huge traction and leaving mid range chains sort of without a market.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

lower class and upper class are both getting huge and leaving middle class sort of without options.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ha, what?

I'm far too middle class to shop at this discount supermarket. ugg, a minority might touch me.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

ha, what?

I'm far too middle class to shop at this discount supermarket. ugg, a minority might touch me.

no I was just making a mildly unfunny analogy between the decline in middle market supermarkets and the decline of the middle class

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
"Well, I'm afraid the market for 'food' this quarter was was not as strong as anticipated."

I mean, what???

Mind you, I haven't regularly used a car to do grocery shopping for my entire adult life, so selecting a supermarket on the basis of anything other than "I can walk there, and it has the food I need to buy" is foreign to me.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

PT6A posted:

Mind you, I haven't regularly used a car to do grocery shopping for my entire adult life, so selecting a supermarket on the basis of anything other than "I can walk there, and it has the food I need to buy" is foreign to me.

This. People with cars will absolutely drive to the other side of town because of premium organic borderline-scam food or whatever, and they'll drive to get sick deals instead if they don't want to burn money.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

suck my woke dick posted:

This. People with cars will absolutely drive to the other side of town because of premium organic borderline-scam food or whatever, and they'll drive to get sick deals instead if they don't want to burn money.

I have a car, I just don't use it for grocery shopping because driving when I could just walk six blocks would make me feel like the laziest rear end in a top hat in the world, and during any sort of high traffic period it would probably take longer and be more stressful anyway.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

PT6A posted:

driving when I could just walk six blocks would make me feel like the laziest rear end in a top hat in the world, and during any sort of high traffic period it would probably take longer and be more stressful anyway.

I don't think you "get" Americans. Or suburbanites anywhere else.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Grocery shopping without a car is a huge pain in the rear end. Even if the store is close you're still limited on what you can haul back, vs putting it all in your trunk. We regularly shop at Costco, no way would we be hauling pallets of stuff home on foot.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

PT6A posted:

"Well, I'm afraid the market for 'food' this quarter was was not as strong as anticipated."

More like the market for food used to be "you buy food from a supermarket" but now is so big that every town with more than 5 people has a dollar general and a walmart and a target and a big lots and a trader joes and a whole food and enough restaurants and take out and fast food competing and every dollar spent anywhere else isn't spent at what used to be the one place in town that used to sell food.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
We shop at giant eagle because until recently the gas program was generous enough that we would fill up 30 gallons every 6 weeks. Almost haven't paid for gas in 5 years. Granted we had a new child which required buying formula and diapers so that worked out.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The grocery market is highly competitive and operates on somewhat small margins. Everybody wants a piece of the pie, and everyone has their own ideas about how to get it. When a chain goes under, it's due to mismanagement, or because other chains punched and spit on it until it died.

PT6A posted:

I have a car, I just don't use it for grocery shopping because driving when I could just walk six blocks would make me feel like the laziest rear end in a top hat in the world, and during any sort of high traffic period it would probably take longer and be more stressful anyway.

Idiots at my store will complain about the price of our milk, and then say, "We'll just go get it at <competing store across town> where it's a dollar cheaper!" And then they do, because they're morons. As someone that used to work at that store, I know that the milk is roughly the same price as our own. They're saving less than a dollar. It seems more like spite than thriftiness.

Myself, I drive to a store less than two blocks from my house. Why? Because in order to get there, I have to drive about six blocks. If I wanted to walk there, I'd be walking the same route that I drive. My infrastructure blows.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

ha, what?

I mean, yeah, people do act on this kind of motivation.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Any regional mid market store is generally pretty hosed, especially for grocery.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

OhFunny posted:

Pretty certain Winn-Dixie filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection a decade ago, and A&P's parent went bust in late 2015, so it's not really that uncommon to see supermarket chains go under.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Hand Row posted:

Any regional mid market store is generally pretty hosed, especially for grocery.

It'll be a cold day in hell before Market Basket fails in New England.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

OhFunny posted:

Most of the time they get bought. Winn Dixie is a holding of Southeastern Grocers, also owns BiLo. I've talked about them before in the thread.

PT6A posted:

Margins are really small.

Alternately on purpose to shed obligations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Horseshoe theory posted:

Pretty certain Winn-Dixie filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection a decade ago, and A&P's parent went bust in late 2015, so it's not really that uncommon to see supermarket chains go under.

That's when Southeastern Grocers bought em.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
People are mostly price sensitive ir quality sensitive

If you're price sensitive you go to the cheapest

If quality sensitive you go to the best

Who then, goes to the middle?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

there's a shitload of competition in food retail, and dollar stores have been eating up the "rural and poor" demographic that winn-dixie and southeastern grocers group have been leaning on

within a mile of me there's seven grocery stores. its a crowded marketplace

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Also thier competition in Florida is Publix. Publix don't gently caress around.

Dad says "They have been renaming underperforming stores over the last year." Most of the closures may be Harvey's and BiLos. Sounds like they are keeping the Winn Dixie brand.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Horseshoe theory posted:

A&P's parent WAS A&P, and they'd basically been hosed since 2010 when they first went under chapter 11 protection due to leveraging so much to buy out Pathmark just before the great recession (which itself hadn't been doing well in the first place).

Of course, A&P had been slowly fading since the 1960s, going through repeating cycles of attempting to keep up with competition by building new stores and financinang that by closing many more of their older smaller stores, etc.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

OhFunny posted:

It'll be a cold day in hell before Market Basket fails in New England.

Aren't they all about low prices? By mid market I meant middle prices, middle quality.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Hand Row posted:

Aren't they all about low prices? By mid market I meant middle prices, middle quality.

Are they? I've pretty much only shopped there or at Shaw's and Shaw's is cheaper. That didn't help keep the Shaw's in my hometown from closing despite there being two Market Baskets on the same street.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Malcolm XML posted:

People are mostly price sensitive ir quality sensitive

If you're price sensitive you go to the cheapest

If quality sensitive you go to the best

Who then, goes to the middle?

Yeah, and it's not like any one place makes you swear allegiance to only use them. Even if you sometimes go to the supermarket but also pick up some food when you go to target and sometimes get the stuff you like at the farmers market and buy cereal at the dollar general because you forgot and eat at the food truck for lunch when it's there on wednesday every meal you buy somewhere else you don't buy from the traditional super market. So they can lose a lot of money if they have the same amount of customers overall but each one is splitting their money a lot more ways a lot more often.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

The demand for food isn't infinite. Despite America's gluttony we can still only consume so much food. America is just plain oversaturated in stores in general; food is no exception. Aside from that with stagnating wages and related shenanigans going on the majority of people are getting more frugal by pure necessity. Yeah, everybody needs to eat but most Americans are low enough on the income scale to be considered "poor."

Winn-Dixie's parent company is also Bi-Lo which has been having trouble for a while. They also have a history of gobbling up smaller chains (they ate all of the small chains where I'm originally from, for example) and have filed for bankruptcy in the past. They're one of those lumbering behemoth companies that mostly exists to funnel money from not rich people to rich people at this point.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

suck my woke dick posted:

My local Safeway literally doesn't carry the good meat. I have to go to one of the quality Safeways in our neighboring towns to get sell by date USDA prime.

Only if they're on my way home, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I was at the mall today for the first time in a few months, and like usual, before leaving I went over to check out how the Sears looked. It's never good, but somehow it's managing to stay open. There were a few people standing around outside the entrance, and they told me someone was apparently trying to rob the place.

what the heck, who would rob a sears ?? I just left and drove over to Trader Joe's for some cheap whiskey.

Beachcomber posted:

My local Safeway literally doesn't carry the good meat. I have to go to one of the quality Safeways in our neighboring towns to get sell by date USDA prime.

Only if they're on my way home, though.

My local Safeway carries a rotating supply of offal. I walked out with three cow hearts the last time I was there :kheldragar:

e: before anybody asks why three, it was all they had left