Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Instant Sunrise posted:

That editorial note at the bottom makes me laugh every time.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ok i really feel like someone needs to play devil's advocate here and explain what the gently caress harm reduction actually is, since everyone on SA outside of TCC and... every now and then D&D seems to completely have no loving clue what it is beyond "it's okay to do drugs now"

harm reduction is, in essence, the principle that you can't reasonably stop people from wanting to get hosed up, so instead of just leaving it at "NO YOU SHOULDN'T DO THIS" you should properly educate them so that if they say "gently caress you" and do it anyways, they're not being massive loving idiots with their drug of choice and know what they're getting into.

this typically comes into play with, for example, heroin. harm reduction for heroin is making sure people know how to test their dope for fentanyl, making sure they're using safe needles and have Narcan available if they overdose, making sure they know how to inject properly so they actually hit a vein and don't cause their arm muscles to rot out, that sort of thing. reducing the harm done to people who choose to use drugs in spite of the danger.

with regards to stuff like TCC and Bluelight and Erowid and the batshit insane things people put into their bodies on those forums, the concept still applies. if there's going to be sketchy internet drugs available for people to buy without any "real" research being done on them, it's genuinely important for there to be some kind of resource on what the christ those sketchy internet drugs do to you, because otherwise people aren't going to know there's a danger and will see something like phenazepam and go "oh hey, cheap legal xanax! gently caress yeah!" and gently caress their lives up (for example).

unless we're going to go full batshit-draconian Asian country with our drug laws, harm reduction is really, really goddamn important, because it reduces the societal impact of people choosing to use drugs. even if it's still not exactly good for them to use drugs, proper application of harm reduction strategies makes them less of a strain on the legal and medical systems by far.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think harm reduction for phenazepam is "handcuff yourself to a bed for a few days while someone else feeds and changes you."

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Whoa, Black Betty (phenazepam)

I loled

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

ok i really feel like someone needs to play devil's advocate here and explain what the gently caress harm reduction actually is, since everyone on SA outside of TCC and... every now and then D&D seems to completely have no loving clue what it is beyond "it's okay to do drugs now"

harm reduction is, in essence, the principle that you can't reasonably stop people from wanting to get hosed up, so instead of just leaving it at "NO YOU SHOULDN'T DO THIS" you should properly educate them so that if they say "gently caress you" and do it anyways, they're not being massive loving idiots with their drug of choice and know what they're getting into.

this typically comes into play with, for example, heroin. harm reduction for heroin is making sure people know how to test their dope for fentanyl, making sure they're using safe needles and have Narcan available if they overdose, making sure they know how to inject properly so they actually hit a vein and don't cause their arm muscles to rot out, that sort of thing. reducing the harm done to people who choose to use drugs in spite of the danger.

with regards to stuff like TCC and Bluelight and Erowid and the batshit insane things people put into their bodies on those forums, the concept still applies. if there's going to be sketchy internet drugs available for people to buy without any "real" research being done on them, it's genuinely important for there to be some kind of resource on what the christ those sketchy internet drugs do to you, because otherwise people aren't going to know there's a danger and will see something like phenazepam and go "oh hey, cheap legal xanax! gently caress yeah!" and gently caress their lives up (for example).

unless we're going to go full batshit-draconian Asian country with our drug laws, harm reduction is really, really goddamn important, because it reduces the societal impact of people choosing to use drugs. even if it's still not exactly good for them to use drugs, proper application of harm reduction strategies makes them less of a strain on the legal and medical systems by far.

That's true, but I felt compelled to add that "harm reduction" in terms of substance use also means the entire domain of treatment approaches that are not based on "abstinence." Drug-assisted treatment programs like methadone fall under the harm reduction umbrella, for instance.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yea but the problem is when someone goes into TCC saying "hey I keep getting hosed up on heroin what should I do" the response they get is "mix it with LSD, hail satan"

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

cock hero flux posted:

yea but the problem is when someone goes into TCC saying "hey I keep getting hosed up on heroin what should I do" the response they get is "mix it with LSD, hail satan"

Yeah.

Goons are so good at things like MMOs because of their ability to crowdsource and min-max things. When you apply that to drugs you get people smoking themselves retarded on synthetic marijuana because they combined forces and located the best place to get the best chemical for the best price and how to correctly vape or ingest it to get maximum possible high.

The "harm reduction" is supposed to be listening to the guy that is now vaping amounts that would boil a normal person's brain about how he no longer even gets high, he just has to do it. Instead everyone asks him how he managed to get more hosed up than anyone else on the planet so that they can too.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I thought the common agreement was that the harm reduction came in convincing people not to try the bad poo poo because we have a constant stream of hosed up Saturday morning specials on display for all to see.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

someone needs to play devil's advocate here

No, not really, no.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
The benzo thread is the one thread that actually seems to be pretty good at reducing harm sometimes and has managed to convince a few people to flush their internet powders down the toilet before they got addicted to them. Ironically, this is probably a by-product of the old joose threads

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Paladinus posted:

No, not really, no.

His post was pretty good, the only thing it left out is that tcc does not actually reduce harm

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

His post was pretty good, the only thing it left out is that tcc does not actually reduce harm

That seems like a fair take. Their slogan might be "TCC: Harm Different."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That seems like a fair take. Their slogan might be "TCC: Harm Different."

Harm 2.0.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Crackhead Clubhouse: Harm Production

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I used to have a job title with the words harm reduction in it. some clients (with serious and persistent mental illness as well as chaotic and harmful drug use) once respectfully and gently asked me "we know you're here to talk to the addicts and help them but why is that called 'charm production?'" :3:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WrenP-Complete posted:

I used to have a job title with the words harm reduction in it. some clients (with serious and persistent mental illness as well as chaotic and harmful drug use) once respectfully and gently asked me "we know you're here to talk to the addicts and help them but why is that called 'charm production?'" :3:

That's cute and also sad. :sad3:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Ariong posted:

The Crackhead Clubhouse: Harm Production

The Crackhead Clubhouse: Horror Stories? More like Horror Tutorials.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
I much prefer the practice of Ham reduction *carves a slice and eats it*.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

"Ham Reduction" is for when the word "gravy" won't let you charge $35 a plate.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

How did I not know about the F-Zero rant from 2003?!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=711267&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

cock hero flux posted:

yea, harm reduction is actually likely the best way to handle more than a handful of drugs since that's based around education and regulation and a very robust treatment/rehab focus rather than criminal.

TCC is not harm reduction because 90% of the time if you go in saying 'haha I keep doing this drug and blacking out for days' they go 'oh man that's hilarious' and not 'you should maybe do a different drug'.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

That’s a good question, considering it’s one of the most famous things to happen on these forums, and is referenced frequently, and always shows up in quote threads, and you’ve been here for so long. Does this mean you are also not familiar with the dramatic reading?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it'd be nice if TCC did those things then

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Ham reduction is what got the kink threads closed forever

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

'you should maybe do a different drug'.

This exact thing literally being suggested to a heroin addict by a TCC mod is the inspiration for the famous 'MY NIGGA HAVE YOU TRIED LSD?' quote, iirc.

In fact I'm sure it's been brought up in this very thread numerous times.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The old fitness forum (I think before they got merged into YLLS, though maybe also after) was similarly a disaster area of fad diets taken to illogical extremes, from a few stories, and the same great quote as the LSD one also mentions the paleo diet thread.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

That’s a good question, considering it’s one of the most famous things to happen on these forums, and is referenced frequently, and always shows up in quote threads, and you’ve been here for so long. Does this mean you are also not familiar with the dramatic reading?

I.... What? Oh wow, no. Gonna look that up soon. Is it in the same thread?

How did I miss this?! :negative:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Please post the dramatic reading.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Farmdizzle posted:

This exact thing literally being suggested to a heroin addict by a TCC mod is the inspiration for the famous 'MY NIGGA HAVE YOU TRIED LSD?' quote, iirc.

In fact I'm sure it's been brought up in this very thread numerous times.

Except the context is completely different. The LSD suggestion was to someone who knew they were destroying their life, and wanted help. The mod suggested lsd because rehab "never works."

Whereas actual harm reduction would be "hey, you’re killing yourself on heroin here, and you don’t seem to realize it. Have you considered moving to this other drug which is less likely to kill you?"

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I.... What? Oh wow, no. Gonna look that up soon. Is it in the same thread?

How did I miss this?! :negative:

barbecue at the folks posted:

Please post the dramatic reading.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xeeNYWl0HkI

Quality was always rough, but this sounds worse than I remember. I thought there was one specifically from SomethingAwful, but this guy is reading from another site.

Edit: I think that is the SomethingAwful reading. Maybe the video maker just pulled the screenshot from somewhere else.

Veni Vidi Ameche! has a new favorite as of 17:41 on Feb 18, 2018

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

VictorianQueerLit posted:

This is actually true. I was attacked while carrying a pizza one time and reacted purely by instinct. I tried to eat all of it before my assailants could get any and nearly choked to death on fists and stuffed crust.

Are you a dog?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xeeNYWl0HkI

Quality was always rough, but this sounds worse than I remember. I thought there was one specifically from SomethingAwful, but this guy is reading from another site.

Edit: I think that is the SomethingAwful reading. Maybe the video maker just pulled the screenshot from somewhere else.

This is the fragmaster version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLwM3nyY5g

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Except the context is completely different. The LSD suggestion was to someone who knew they were destroying their life, and wanted help. The mod suggested lsd because rehab "never works."

Whereas actual harm reduction would be "hey, you’re killing yourself on heroin here, and you don’t seem to realize it. Have you considered moving to this other drug which is less likely to kill you?"

And using lots of Motivational Interviewing techniques, which is a therapeutic modality that helps people move through ambivalence. So for example, a practitioner might work with someone to see the pros and cons of using heroin as well as the pros and cons of reducing use (or substitution of some other drug).

"So... what you like about using heroin is feeling so numb you feel invincible, I wonder if there are other ways to create feelings of safety in your life..."

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Good thing that guy got demodded. TCC is pretty decent these days, I eat baby skin is a pretty good mod. Generally when people talk about TCC they seem to be talking about an era several years ago, like when joose was a thing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

lambskin posted:

I eat baby skin is a pretty good mod

You only say that because you're not in danger :colbert:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

chitoryu12 posted:

You only say that because you're not in danger :colbert:

:golfclap:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

The old fitness forum (I think before they got merged into YLLS, though maybe also after) was similarly a disaster area of fad diets taken to illogical extremes, from a few stories, and the same great quote as the LSD one also mentions the paleo diet thread.
Listen, bro. Bro. Okay, listen. Okay? Listen. It's called ketosis. You eat a lot of hot dogs, and like, your body changes. Because of the hot dogs. Okay?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Listen, bro. Bro. Okay, listen. Okay? Listen. It's called ketosis. You eat a lot of hot dogs, and like, your body changes. Because of the hot dogs. Okay?

Please don't try to kill Mister Bibs, he can't help it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
*turns around holding white cat*

No MisterBibs, I expect you to eat hot dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Yeah, I really needed the mental image of bond strapped to a table as a giant hotdog is pushed out of a cannon at him.