Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jimmy Carter posted:

the Wired article about it said that there’s massive base isolators so the ground can shift like 5 feet in any direction and it’ll be fine.

The Bay Area can burn but nothing will stop the spaceship.

yeah but will the floor line up in the same place after a 6+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
imagine working in a perfectly level place... except the whole campus is tilted a couple of degrees

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Matt Zerella posted:

when they knock it down in 30years it's gonna leave a ring

Lmbo

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

:eyepop:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Matt Zerella posted:

:pusheen:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the guy with the fro? thought that was teapot

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/964617095626612737

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah but will the floor line up in the same place after a 6+

get up to speed bro, we're on the 8+ already

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

only the best and brightest at tim cook's apple

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
just install a arkit glass detection app

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stymie posted:

only the best and brightest at tim cook's apple

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The correct way to fix this problem is to make every single wall a sliding door so that the glass just gets out of your way before you try to walk through it

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
are people walking into glass walls (as opposed to glass doors)?

why are there paths guiding them toward the walls?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doors handles vs. push plates to indicate direction and axis as an example of an affordance is literally one of the first things taught in design 101 so lol at the primacy of aesthetics, or something.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

exploded mummy posted:

One of the most vexing features was the doorways, which Apple wanted to be perfectly flat, with no threshold. The construction team pushed back, but Apple held firm.

The rationale? If engineers had to adjust their gait while entering the building, they risked distraction from their work, according to a former construction manager.

absolutely nothing about the spaceship campus was done for the benefit of the engineers, least of all to reduce distraction, I can assure you of that. do you know what minimizes distraction? opaque, sound proof walls and doors that you can close. designing a space that is one giant, infinitely long open office with cramped desks and no partitioning surrounded by two tracks that carry all of the building’s traffic is the opposite of that.

on average getting from one point in the spaceship to another means walking 1/4 of its circumference. there are two paths per floor leading around the building and nobody is going to walk the outer path. that means every person walking in the building is going to be in the same hallway in two continuous circles. it’s literally a one dimensional office floor, designed to maximize traffic.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
are you suggesting that apple is... not very good at design?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I hope it is an unmitigated disaster and nearly ruins Apple so that it can at least serve as a clear warning to others.

Maybe idiot managers will finally stop building new open floor plan offices sometime in the distant future.

A man can dream.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
would Apple still honor its warranties and such if that one big earthquake that's supposed to obliterate California ever happens?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

would Apple still honor its warranties and such if that one big earthquake that's supposed to obliterate California ever happens?

Items destroyed because of the earthquake would not be covered but apple has enough money to rebuild itself many times over.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
there’s only so ruined apple can be by the spaceship, since the vast majority of the company is not moving in. i think it’s just the executives, the industrial designers, and some select app engineering teams

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

r u ready to WALK posted:

I hope it is an unmitigated disaster and nearly ruins Apple so that it can at least serve as a clear warning to others.

Maybe idiot managers will finally stop building new open floor plan offices sometime in the distant future.

A man can dream.

i mean it is a disaster, every team that can avoid working there is doing so

building it cost 1/12 of last quarter's iphone revenue tho, so the near ruin part won't happen

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

The Management posted:

absolutely nothing about the spaceship campus was done for the benefit of the engineers, least of all to reduce distraction, I can assure you of that. do you know what minimizes distraction? opaque, sound proof walls and doors that you can close. designing a space that is one giant, infinitely long open office with cramped desks and no partitioning surrounded by two tracks that carry all of the building’s traffic is the opposite of that.

on average getting from one point in the spaceship to another means walking 1/4 of its circumference. there are two paths per floor leading around the building and nobody is going to walk the outer path. that means every person walking in the building is going to be in the same hallway in two continuous circles. it’s literally a one dimensional office floor, designed to maximize traffic.

the mac pro of buildings

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my nexus 5 is acting up more and more, im not sure ill make it to this years isPhone

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

companies set aside part of revenues to service warranty claims, based on projected claim rates. that money is not counted in their profit. outside of that money, Apple also has two hundred billion dollars in cash that it can use to replace a few hundred million devices.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

my nexus 5 is acting up more and more, im not sure ill make it to this years isPhone

Get a pixel 2

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
alternatively, buy a good telephone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

Get a pixel 2

my next telephone will be from apple

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

my next telephone will be from apple

Enjoy safari and apple maps i guess.....

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

will do, cheers

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

does android chrome even have ad blockers yet without having to run all your traffic through a vpn

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Safari is literally the only good browser.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Samsung Internet is GOAT for ad-blocking reasons.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

does android chrome even have ad blockers yet without having to run all your traffic through a vpn

when thinking about what does and does not make it to the play store simply remember that google is an advertisement delivery company

so no, chrome will not have ad blockers

that said it's pretty easy to get netguard from github but eh, phone janiting

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
phone janitizing

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

that and no ui stutters. and an app store with a decent selection of software.

you can't have custom boot animations tho, so I guess you're right, android ftw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k6k9-H6KcE

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

that and no ui stutters. and an app store with a decent selection of software.

you can't have custom boot animations tho, so I guess you're right, android ftw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k6k9-H6KcE

that animation demands to be set to this music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwXR-gey9XE

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

and an app store with a decent selection of software.

Oh yeah, who doesn't love all that great software.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Oh yeah, who doesn't love all that great software.

i love software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

syscall girl posted:

when thinking about what does and does not make it to the play store simply remember that google is an advertisement delivery company

so no, chrome will not have ad blockers

that said it's pretty easy to get netguard from github but eh, phone janiting
you mean the one that's built-in and already out?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/14/17011266/google-chrome-ad-blocker-features