Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

i would absolutely not like them to elaborate on that

As an Asian American I would like to know more about how I'm basically white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It's a map for an EU4 mod someone's making. It isn't supposed to make sense.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

I assume his point is that identity does not always correlate 100% with actual cultural differences, and that culture is difficult to measure anyway, making any measure of 'diversity' questionable. I know you smell blood but chill.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Badger of Basra posted:

each terrible post that i read on who "counts as white" in america is another year in purgatory when i die

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TinTower posted:

Fun fact, during the mid-1990s, the loyalist terrorist vigilante group the Ulster Defence Association proposed repartition again, in which any Catholics left in the remaining parts of Northern Ireland would be ethnically cleansed. The press officer for the Democratic Unionist Party at the time, Sammy Wilson, was rather enthusiastic about the plan.

It's a good thing that Mr Wilson was never heard of aga–

https://twitter.com/eastantrimmp/status/933713874691510273

What the gently caress.

"well, this is an interesting history lesson"

:stonk:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Give Ulster back to Ireland and be done with it. They've had their fun.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Map of Cleveland if every Subway Restaurant was a subway station

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Tree Goat posted:

each terrible post that i read on who "counts as white" in america is another year in purgatory when i die

another reason why the model minority myth needed to die yesterday

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

fishmech posted:

Map of Cleveland if every Subway Restaurant was a subway station

:smith:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There are barely any cultural differences between Latvians and Russians in Latvia. Some Russians, uhh, celebrate Christmas and Easter on different date than most of the country does, and that's about it?

Well obviously in most circumstances when you celebrate Christmas is of little importance, but if you were talking about Yugoslavia in 1991 that might be very important right? I think the first map is a bit better as it uses a simplier and clearer methodology. It merely measures ethnic diversity rather than attempting to rank something as debatable as cultural diversity.

Badger of Basra posted:

It's not that you are the same as white americans, nor that there is no prejudice against Asians within the white community. Its that the boundaries and customs for example our choice of music, religion, dialect, and clothes, that served to keep Asian and White communities distinct have rapidly broken down over the last 60 years. Arguably the existence of these boundaries are what actually define an ethnicity.

My thinking on this matter has been heavily influenced by the writing of several first and 2nd generation African immigrants to North America. Scholars anthropologist John U. Ogbu, who in his 2003 book Black American Students in an Affluent Suburb, drew a distinction between what he called "voluntary minorities" like his own family, and "involuntary minorities" like Native Americans, who interacting with the prevailing social structure in very different ways.

Obviously this is a difficult subject and even defining what ethnicity means can be extremely contentious. Is it based on skin color, language, religion? Is an Australian whose grandparents were all Greek ethnically Greek or Australian or both? Is a White American the same ethnicity as a White Canadian? Ultimately the answer may change depending on historical circumstance.

Now what do you think about the other intentionally contentious statement I left in that post? That anabaptists like the Mennonites are "ethnically distinct" from other White Americans?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Squalid posted:

Well obviously in most circumstances when you celebrate Christmas is of little importance, but if you were talking about Yugoslavia in 1991 that might be very important right? I think the first map is a bit better as it uses a simplier and clearer methodology. It merely measures ethnic diversity rather than attempting to rank something as debatable as cultural diversity.

I don't presume anything about Balkan countries. As a Latvian, I just call bullshit on that map.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I've been reading up on the Irish Troubles (see my NMD discussion on the Troubles through song) and ran across the fascinating topic of the Repartition of Ireland. Apparently in the 1970s as the Northern Irish conflict was getting nasty, some Brits seriously considered taking the majority-Catholic areas and just ceding them to the Republic of Ireland to get rid of the most restive bits.

This map would be 10x more useful if it showed the NI/RoI border, but the Northern Ireland counties are the five clustered around the lake, and the county to the southwest with the double-lake.

So basically the fallback idea was to take the most Catholic areas and cut them off and cede them. In the 1980s there were further talks with Thatcher of doing same, but with Belfast a Jerusalem-esque divided/ghetto city. Probably for the best it didn't go this way, though with Brexit who the gently caress knows what will happen.

EDIT: a 1940s RoI stamp is eerily prescient on this issue:

Re partition talks usually floundered cause of Belfast, you know, existing. A quick glance at NI population density and an overlook of the "hottest" areas in the Troubles may give you a quick indication why shunting all those pesky west of the bann counties across the border wouldn't necessary do much - not to mention the fact that taking the Berlin solution to Belfast wouldn't do much considering Republicanism repudiated the government of the Republic as illegitimate so you'd just create a weird kind of quazi-Gaza situation in West Belfast.

Population density 1971

Each circle represents the number of deaths (the larger the circle the larger number of deaths) per Super Output Area, a ward based geographical unit designed to roughly cover 2000 people (with 890 in total). Note the crazy overlapping Belfast zones

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 17, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Squalid posted:

It's not that you are the same as white americans, nor that there is no prejudice against Asians within the white community. Its that the boundaries and customs for example our choice of music, religion, dialect, and clothes, that served to keep Asian and White communities distinct have rapidly broken down over the last 60 years. Arguably the existence of these boundaries are what actually define an ethnicity.

About 40-50% of Asian-Americans today are first generation immigrants, almost entirely those are people who came after the 1965 lifting of anti-Asian-immigration rules. Who cares what the people who were here, or whose parents were here, 60 years ago are like now, this is a whole separate wave of people, and they're often from different countries/cultures than the bulk of pre-1965 Asian Americans were.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Squalid posted:

Well obviously in most circumstances when you celebrate Christmas is of little importance, but if you were talking about Yugoslavia in 1991 that might be very important right?

It's not the date of Christmas that mattered.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Squalid posted:

They really are notably homogenous, at least relative to the rest of the world. Although their ranking on diversity indices depends on exactly how one chooses to measure diversity.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.97e46f4604cd

Map by the Washington Post. Data shows Ethnic Fractionalization Index as measured in a 2002 Harvard Institute for Economic Research study.

This index, also known as the Shannon diversity index, asks a relatively simple question: "f you called up two people at random in a particular country and ask them their ethnicity, what are the odds that they would give different answers? The higher the odds, the more ethnically "fractionalized" or diverse the country."

Map by Pew Research Center, July 18 2013

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/07/18/the-most-and-least-culturally-diverse-countries-in-the-world/

The biggest flaw of the first map (home to a completely inexplicable "mega diverse" Libya) is that there's no way it takes into account people answering for nationality over ethnicity. Among other things. Or places where large cultural and even linguistic differences never quite got the same program update of romantic nationalism other places did.

The most obvious flaw in the Western Europe example there is Italy, what with the huge rift between the north and south, a rift that has cultural and linguistic elements. But hasn't ever really come to be thought of in ethnic terms either from without or within Italy. But by any logical measure that's particular diversity.
The BIGGEST flaw on that map though because of this issue? loving lol at India.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

my dad posted:

It's not the date of Christmas that mattered.

Yeah, it was how many fingers you used to make the sign of the cross :v:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

fishmech posted:

About 40-50% of Asian-Americans today are first generation immigrants, almost entirely those are people who came after the 1965 lifting of anti-Asian-immigration rules. Who cares what the people who were here, or whose parents were here, 60 years ago are like now, this is a whole separate wave of people, and they're often from different countries/cultures than the bulk of pre-1965 Asian Americans were.

Also the earlier generations were massively discriminated against and largely lived in segregated ghettos, so the earlier Asian communities developed distinct cultural and social identities that are still extant. There's a culture clash between, say, American born Chinese and contemporary immigrant "mainlanders," but often as not, they still wind up living the same neighborhoods.

The lifting of miscegenation laws (if not always the stigma) and formal segregation has changed a lot for the 3rd/4th+ generation Asian Americans, but let's not loving push it.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Squalid posted:

My thinking on this matter has been heavily influenced by the writing of several first and 2nd generation African immigrants to North America. Scholars anthropologist John U. Ogbu, who in his 2003 book Black American Students in an Affluent Suburb, drew a distinction between what he called "voluntary minorities" like his own family, and "involuntary minorities" like Native Americans, who interacting with the prevailing social structure in very different ways.

Obviously this is a difficult subject and even defining what ethnicity means can be extremely contentious. Is it based on skin color, language, religion? Is an Australian whose grandparents were all Greek ethnically Greek or Australian or both? Is a White American the same ethnicity as a White Canadian? Ultimately the answer may change depending on historical circumstance.

Now what do you think about the other intentionally contentious statement I left in that post? That anabaptists like the Mennonites are "ethnically distinct" from other White Americans?

lol actually, saying that asian americans are ethnically the same as white americans, is loving stupid.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So Asian Americans are ethnically indistinct from white people because Asian Americans act white, but also Asian Americans still face prejudice from white people?

Also it seems to me that the anabaptists are more like the "voluntary minorities" than Asians are, given that an anabaptist could wake up one day, move to Seattle, and start acting like a mainstream white person and no one would think they were any different. An Asian American who does the same thing would still be perceived by the rest of society as non-white.

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 17, 2018

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

quote is not edit

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SaltyJesus posted:

Yeah, it was how many fingers you used to make the sign of the cross :v:

Ahahahahahaha yup

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's no such thing as "Finns".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"Bog Mongols" is the preferred nomenclature.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
You mean "Sedentary Sami".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

"Bog Mongols" is the preferred nomenclature.

I really can't argue with that.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's no such thing as "Finns".

Not even True Finns?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lycus posted:

Not even True Finns?

Seriouspost: No people on this planet are less Finnish than the nazis (and they're literally all nazis) that call themselves True Finns.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jerry Cotton posted:

Seriouspost: No people on this planet are less Finnish than the nazis (and they're literally all nazis) that call themselves True Finns.

What are they, swedes.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Probably some variety of bog or forest trolls.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

What are they, swedes.

Savonians.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jerry Cotton posted:

What no they aren't :confused:

That was in reference to the "certain very limited set of Asians"

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Squalid posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a map using Shannon's diversity index to map diversity by state in my post history, I think using race? as the definition of ethnicty. Definging ethnicty is actually really hard and arbitrary though so its easy to quibble with such maps. Asians I would argue are no longer ethnically distinct from white Americans, while the Amish and other extreme sects of Anabaptists are I think.

:chloe:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Badger of Basra posted:

So Asian Americans are ethnically indistinct from white people because Asian Americans act white, but also Asian Americans still face prejudice from white people?

Also it seems to me that the anabaptists are more like the "voluntary minorities" than Asians are, given that an anabaptist could wake up one day, move to Seattle, and start acting like a mainstream white person and no one would think they were any different. An Asian American who does the same thing would still be perceived by the rest of society as non-white.

also i'm pretty sure that downscale southeast asian refugees and their descendants, often who still suffer poor educational and health outcomes (the impetus for a data disaggregation bill in rhode island, for instance, was that southeast asians in that state actually had the lowest high school graduation rates) and are often on the wrong side of law enforcement (see hmong folks in the twin cities, for instance) would take exception with this

and poo poo i didn't even get into south asians who get profiled by law enforcement as "terrorists" or are likely to get maimed or killed in hate crimes because a lot of whites can't tell the difference between them and arabs; like poo poo, a sikh man died in a revenge killing for 9/11

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 18, 2018

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Elyv posted:

That map is extremely confusing, I think it's supposed to be a political map of ~800 except really weird for some reason?

I'll be that huge island(I guess it's supposed to be Ireland based on the name?) that's in the western Med for some reason
I think the artist screwed up when they were recompiling it... Sardinia/Corsica and Ireland are swapped over.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

kustomkarkommando posted:

Each circle represents the number of deaths (the larger the circle the larger number of deaths) per Super Output Area, a ward based geographical unit designed to roughly cover 2000 people (with 890 in total). Note the crazy overlapping Belfast zones

This is a really fascinating map, thanks! Of particular note is the big wad of violence in southern County Armagh (the county directly south of Lough Neagh, the big lake in the middle). Presumably a large chunk of that violence was due to the South Armagh Brigade, a unit with only maybe 40-some active fighters that punched way above its weight. The SAB just had a really good base for insurgency, in that they were right by an international border (good for smuggling weapons, and for Revolutionary Tax'ing other smugglers), and due to it being a low-population area pretty much everyone knew them and at least tacitly supported them, allowing them to operate in large cells that would've been infiltrated quickly in Belfast. SAB conducted the single most fatal attack on the British Army during the Troubles (killed 18 troops in a staged double-IED attack) and shot down multiple helicopters with both heavy machineguns and homemade mortars.

Looking at the re-partition proposal map, in many areas it looks more like they were trying to slice out the more restive bits more than just reflect the local population. Note that South Armagh gets lopped right off, as well as (best as I can squint) the city of Derry (the norhwestern blob on the heatmap). Derry has a substantial Protestant population and is an icon of Ulster history, but ceding it over would've removed one of the most concentrated spots of violence other then Belfast.

But yeah, as you note you can rearrange all kinds of deck chairs in NI, but unless you Berlin'ed the city of Belfast, or did a forced population transfer, you still have 90% of the same problem.

I wanted to follow up with a related map, so here's a graphic from The Sun showing how the PIRA apparently imports loose tobacco to NI to make counterfeit cigarettes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Squalid posted:

Obviously this is a difficult subject and even defining what ethnicity means can be extremely contentious.
Yeah, so you think maybe saying "Actually, these groups aren't ethnically distinct, no matter what they think," is a tad presumptuous?

You may be describing a real difference of some sort that is worth talking about perhaps, but you're putting it in terms that are either really inflammatory or obtusely specialized. Either way you're communicating poorly and should probably reconsider the way you assert what groups are not "ethnically distinct". I don't think anyone would have batted an eye if you talked about Asian Americans being seen as less "other" than some other groups, and explaining how that might even be a fundamentally different experience for them would probably have started a thoughtful conversation, but to translate that into "not ethnically distinct" is not a helpful way to phrase things.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Eiba posted:

Yeah, so you think maybe saying "Actually, these groups aren't ethnically distinct, no matter what they think," is a tad presumptuous?

You may be describing a real difference of some sort that is worth talking about perhaps, but you're putting it in terms that are either really inflammatory or obtusely specialized. Either way you're communicating poorly and should probably reconsider the way you assert what groups are not "ethnically distinct". I don't think anyone would have batted an eye if you talked about Asian Americans being seen as less "other" than some other groups, and explaining how that might even be a fundamentally different experience for them would probably have started a thoughtful conversation, but to translate that into "not ethnically distinct" is not a helpful way to phrase things.

pfft, you must just be a part of that peanut gallery that has no perspective

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ok, but seriously, what's this from, I assume an alternative history story or it's an alternative earth from some anime or something.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Reveilled posted:

Ok, but seriously, what's this from, I assume an alternative history story or it's an alternative earth from some anime or something.

This.

I dont think there's any story behind it, just "wouldn't the game be cool if the map looked like this?"

quote:

Hoping to make a mod over the summer that drastically changes the map, throwing logic out the window. The main goal is to move parts of the world into different places and radically change geography and then play out alternate history within it.

ie China now borders the Caucasus mountains, Tazmania is off the coast of Sweden, the Americas are extremely close to Japan, etc.

It would probably be set at around 800-900 AD.

I am open to suggestions/criticisms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Pakled posted:

This.

I dont think there's any story behind it, just "wouldn't the game be cool if the map looked like this?"

Aw, that's disappointing. But thanks for explaining!