Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

You eat one first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Take one.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
None for me, thank you. Don't want to get ideas above our station, here.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Eat a drat chocolate.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Eat the chocolate

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"Take three. You won't regret it."

You take a few and sample one. The dark chocolate is intense, not at all sweet - almost bitter, but with an aftertaste that you find wonderfully satisfying, and you tell Haze so.

"Well put," she says. "Much like me."

"Are you sweet and bitter?"

"And wonderfully satisfying. But also, I fear, a bit cloying as well. Alas."

"And now I will leave you for a moment to give you time to miss me. I read that in a book somewhere," you say.

As Haze leaves you, you catch Mopsie's eye. She makes a retching expression at you, to suggest that she does not like Haze very much at all, and that she is bewildered by your willingness to talk to her.

quote:

Everyone is assembled near the fountain, ringed with honeysuckle shrubs. Next to the fountain is a feature you have never seen here before. A great pen made of gold-colored wire mesh standing about ten feet high holds three full-grown peafowl. A peacock struts about, train feathers fully extended in a riot of iridescent green and blue; a peafowl and a peahen, nearby, ignoring the display entirely and groom their feathers in a noncommittal manner.

"My pride and joy," says Aunt Primrose, looking at her birds indulgently. "Sanchi-San, Galatea, and Orlando are my entrants into the Exotic Animal Show at the Harvest Festival, as you may know. They will do me proud. I have been raising them for months and months on a very special diet. They are certain to receive the blue ribbon." She bares her teeth at Col. Firesnuff.

"Stuff and nonsense, Primrose," he says. "You will have to resign yourself to the red or yellow ribbon...again. I have a very special entry that puts yours to shame."

"A laughable proposition," Aunt Primrose says. "You will eat those words. And, I don't mind saying, your team will also lose the boat race. You had best get used to losing."

Col. Firesnuff laughs and laughs. "Oh, Primrose, you are a card."

quote:

Aunt Primrose perches on a campstool near the peafowl pen, accepting birthday wishes and small gifts from her guests with the air of a magnanimous empress receiving homage from visiting dignitaries. The cake, on a wheeled cart, is Aunt Primrose's favorite, Battenberg cake. Footmen slice and distribute the checkerboard yellow-and-pink sponge cake, slathered in apricot jam, wrapped in marzipan, and decorated with autumn leaves made of spun sugar.

"Very nice," she says, as one of her neighbors gives her a set of three lavendar candles wrapped in ribbon. "Very thoughtful indeed," she says. "Good to have one's birthday appreciated. Makes one feel valued." She looks to Mopsie.

Mopsie looks cross and approaches Aunt Primrose. "If I were not imprisoned on the estate, I could have given you a better present," she protests loudly, hitting such a pitch on the word "imprisoned" that some of the hounds perk up. "I have made homemade stationery for you, pressed with wildflowers."

"Ah," says Aunt Primrose. "You know perfectly well why I am keeping you here. So that you do not mix with that Figs person, as you call him."

"You may use that stationery to write me an apology note when you later realize you have done me wrong," Mopsie says, and steps away from Aunt Primrose. You can see that Rory is slowly nodding in solidarity with his cousin.

I wink at Mopsie to let her know that I, too, approve of her rebllious nature.
I give Mopsie an admonishing look.
I raise one eyebrow to suggest to Rory that he ought to make less of a show of support for Mopsie in public.

Most current stats posted:

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Bold: 64%
Culture: 25%
Intellect: 43%
Observe: 49%
Persuade: 47%
Skulduggery: 19%
Soothing/Abrasive: 28%/72%

Your Reputation
Renown: 51%
Tranquility: 18%
Suspicion: 10%
Invitation: 17%

Rory: 55%
Valentine: 40%
Frankincense: 44%
Aunt Primrose: 21%
Col. Firesnuff: 34%
Haze: 43% (+6%)
Mopsie: 0%

Ready Monies: 23

Pangurban fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 17, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
That is the worst Relations loss I have ever seen in a Choice of Game! Wink at Mopsie! We need those Relations back up pronto! To heck with Haze- if Mopsie doesn't like her, I don't care how much of a flirty charming vixen she is!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Wink!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I’m winkin at cha!

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

achtungnight posted:

That is the worst Relations loss I have ever seen in a Choice of Game! Wink at Mopsie! We need those Relations back up pronto! To heck with Haze- if Mopsie doesn't like her, I don't care how much of a flirty charming vixen she is!

Mopsie is a creature of absolutes. Either she loves you or she hates you. It's kinda impressive.

Anyways, let's wink.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Mopsie is dead to us. Signal to Rory

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Wink! Wink like your life depends on it!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Raise an eyebrow at Rory. If Mopsie's gonna hate us for just talking to someone, well screw her.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Wink. Primrose isn't one of our favourite people.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Raise an eyebrow - our first duty is to the man who pays our salary the person whom we serve.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

Mopsie clearly appreciates your show of support; however, Aunt Primrose narrows her eyes at you and Rory.

Luckily, Col. Firesnuff steps forth before any words can be exchanged.

quote:

"Primrose," says Col. Firesnuff. "I'm a man of few words, as everyone knows. And I'm not much for sentiment and all that rot. When you've charged across a field of hedgerows under heavy mortar fire at dawn, one doesn't think too much of birthdays." He pauses to eat a bite of cake. "And yet, as I think people generally know; I am not to be outdone when it comes to giving gifts. And so I have brought you this small token of my esteem. And I hope that it will soften the blow when my entries crush your entries at the Harvest Festival."

"Ha!" booms Aunt Primrose. "Let's see this gift."

"I have here a fine lace doily," Firesnuff says, displaying it. "It will serve to place things on top of. I believe that is what one does with a doily. To be quite honest, I don't quite know. But it is quite dainty."

"Yes, yes, very nice, Firesnuff," she says. "A doily, you say. Well, it's a nice thought. Such as it is."

"I had intended to purchase something else. Something more befitting the occasion. But there were...obstacles." Here, he fixes you with a challenging look. "Suffice to say the fault was not mine."

"Thank you, Colonel," she says.

quote:

It is now time for Rory to give his gift to Aunt Primrose, but he doesn't step forward.

"Go on, sir," you say.

"Yes, yes, of course," Rory says. "Except I should have written out a speech or something. Butler, am I getting flushed?"

"A trifle. But go on. Everyone is awaiting your honeyed words."

"Dearest Auntie," Rory says, clearing his throat, and then coughing a few times. "I have a few words to say, on this, your special day."

Aunt Primrose folds her hands on her lap and looks at Rory attentively.

Rory licks his lips and looks to you, a bead of sweat beginning to trickle down his forehead.

He clearly needs help. How best to help?

I step in front of Rory, and try to ensure his speech is appropriate.
I help to lighten the mood by offering Aunt Primrose a touching compliment on behalf of Rory.
I whisper something effective in Rory's ear.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation
Renown: 51%
Tranquility: 17% (-1%)

Rory: 59% (+4%)
Aunt Primrose: 19% (-2%)
Col. Firesnuff: 31% (-3%)
Haze: 48% (+5%)
Mopsie: 100%

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Step in front of him

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Whisper sweet nothings / poison.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Whisper.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

drat, Mopsie has ups and downs like an oscilloscope.

Whisper.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Time to whisper our master into the good graces of his aunt.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
Lighten the mood

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Whisper.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Lighten the mood.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"How about, 'Here you are, Aunt Primrose. From me to you to celebrate your special day. Many happy returns of the day'."

Rory steps forward, while you hang back modestly, and speaks the phrase you gave him.

Aunt Primrose snorts. "This is what he went to diction class for: 'Here you are.' Is that how you give a gift? My word, how things have changed since I was a girl. I'm not surprised. I'm just chagrined at the way of the world. When I was a young girl, we used to make little speeches at birthday parties noting the various qualities of the birthday boy or girl. That could never happen now, eh, Col. Firesnuff?"

"Never!" he agrees.

"Well, thank you, Rory. It's a nice gesture all the same. 'Here you are' - huh!"

Rory looks at you, abashed, as Aunt Primrose admires her new hairstick.

As Aunt Primrose mingles with her guests, Col. Firesnuff accosts you and Rory, hands behind his back, leaning slightly forward as if keenly anticipating this conversation.

"I have never been so humiliated when it comes to gift-giving," he says to Rory, exhaling furiously through his nose. "One does not like to admit defeat. And yet I am magnanimous in defeat as well as victory. Well played, sir, well played. Your git-giving is second to none."

"I do not really think of gift-giving as a competition," Rory says.

"Said like a true master of the art. And you have struck first blood. But I will take my revenge, mark my words. You shall rue the day you vied with a seasoned competitor and tactical genius like me.

We bungled the presentation, but since the gift was a slam dunk, Achievement unlocked - A Superior Gift (You ensured that Rory gave a superior birthday gift to Aunt Primrose.)

quote:

And with those parting words, Col. Firesnuff snaps to attention and joins Aunt Primrose. They, and the other guests, mount their horses, and you aid Rory to mount his horse as well. The Master of Hounds is heading into the woods, and the hunters are just about to set off behind him.

An air of excitement fills the hunting party, and Aunt Primrose shouts with glee, "Yoicks and tallyho! Let's go!" She kicks her heels and leads the party off to the sound of horns and hounds.

They do not wait, alas, for Rory, whose horse is slowly turning in a complete circle.

"Just a moment!" he calls. "Forward, Cinnamon Bun! Yah!"

You are working wit Rory to explain the proper order of things to Cinnamon Bun when a familiar voice calls out.

"Rory...and Butler! I'm so sorry I'm late!"

And riding up, looking magnificently elegant as ever, is Rory's bride-to-be, Frankincense Cygnet-Signet.

Chapter 3 is in the bag. :toot:

Chapter Four - A-Hunting We Will Go! posted:

"How lovely!" says Frankincense. "How wonderful to see you both. I have been looking forward to this day. I hope you haven't all been having fun without me."

"Oh, well," says Rory, making fumbling movements with his hands. "Not at all. Glad you're here and all that."

"I hear that we have some interesting guests to mingle with. An Inspector Ambrose, old Col. Firesnuff, that strange Haze woman and dear Mopsie, naturally. Such a shame about her and Figs, don't you think? It's so sad when true love is thwarted."

"Dftgn," Rory utters incoherently.

"I hear that one of the guests, the esteemed professor of psychology, Clarence Q. Hickory, will not be attending. Isn't that sad? He is, of course, a very brilliant man. I think we could all stand some improving intellectual discourse. There's simply not enough of it these days. But he had some sort of incident down at the train station on the way here, and has decided not to attend at all."

She reaches out and smooths Cinnamon Bun's flank; Rory's horse immediately calms down and even nuzzles Frankincense a bit.

"What do I say?" Rory whispers to you.

"Say something loving and sweet to her."
"Say that you are looking forward to spending some time with her. Be genial."
"Comment upon the weather," I murmur, knowing that Frankincense must surely desire a word of affection from Rory.

To those of you who were hoping that the idiot man on the train platform would come up again later, well, ta-da!

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation
Renown: 55% (+4%)
Tranquility: 16% (-1%)

Rory: 51% (-8%)
Aunt Primrose: 19%
Col. Firesnuff: 28%
Haze: 48%

Pangurban fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 18, 2018

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Loving and Sweet. We are not a jealous sort.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Loving and sweet.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
#2. I think we need to spell out what Rory should say, lest he bungle it again.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

achtungnight posted:

:same:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

achtungnight posted:

He said everything perfectly, we bungled the phrasing.

"Say something loving and sweet to her."

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Look forward to spending time.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

We are tied between loving and sweet and love spending time. Next new or changed vote takes it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I'll change my vote to loving and sweet to move things ahead.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"Say something loving and sweet to her," you whisper.

"Like what?"

"Say something about how she makes you complete or is a sight for sore eyes. Just something sweet like that."

"Frankincense?" says Rory.

"Yes, my dear?"

"You are here now, and you are a sight for sore eyes. My eyes, specifically. They were sore before, and now that you are here it is as if my eyes no longer hurt. If you take my meaning."

"I think I do, however clumsily put. I think you are saying that you love me."

"Well, that isn't quite what I said. I was just saying I was happy to see you."

"Oh, that isn't what you said?" Frankincense is clearly annoyed now.

"N-no. I'm sorry. I think I've gone and said everything all wrong."

Rory coughs nervously.

"You know, Rory, I didn't want to be quite so blunt, but I expected nothing less than a kiss. You know that it is permitted. We are engaged."

"Are we? I mean, I know we are. It's just that, ah...rather, that is to say..."

"In public? It would be most shocking!" I say.
"You have a bit of a cold and a sore throat, and don't wish to infect her," I murmur, knowing that this may irritate Frankincense.
"We should get along with the hunt, I think. There will be time for pleasantries later."
"Oh, go ahead, sir," I whisper, knowing that this may help to unit the two of them.
"You wish to prolong the delights of wedded bliss until the time is ripe," I say softly, thinking that you may be able to put Frankincense off with a pretty lie.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation
Renown: 55%
Tranquility: 16%

Rory: 51%
Aunt Primrose: 19%
Col. Firesnuff: 28%
Haze: 48%

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Go ahead, you dog you

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Do it pussy.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Go ahead and Kiss the girl! drat shy idiot!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Do it you dolt. Were your parents this bad? Because ifso I have no idea how they managed to procreate.

• Locked thread