Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Deeters posted:

I tried changing my tires with spoons for the first time. I was able to get one done today.

I think I might pay for someone to do this for me next time.

Cough it up... how many tubes did you pinch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The trick is to get the bead to sit in the drop part of the rim as much as you can.

Also to get the harbor freight tire changer kit

Also to get some tire lube like this stuff:

I need to go back to katsu burger in Seattle just to get pictures of the Japanese motorcycle mag that has cross section illustrations of the tire during a change.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 11, 2018

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Deeters posted:

I tried changing my tires with spoons for the first time. I was able to get one done today.

Did you get the big spoon? You need the big spoon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I do all of my own maintenance except tires. It’s worth the money to wander around a showroom and look at new bikes while someone else mounts your tires.

When I mounted my latest set of elite 250 tires even the dealership struggled for a solid 30 minutes, there’s no way I’d have gotten them.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Changing tubed tires is my arch nemesis. I will gladly pay people money to do my tubed tires. Even with all the good Motion Pro levers, it is still a cock sucker.

Honestly, installing a bib mousse in my CRF was easier than doing a tube.

Speaking of CRF, it was nearly 50 and pouring rain out this morning so I took my CRF out around the yard in my pajamas and got mad rutty but my slippers are p much ruined now

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've found with tubes it's much easier to partially inflate the tube, put it inside the tyre, then spoon the whole thing on. No loving around with pinched tubes/fingers.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Slide Hammer posted:

Cough it up... how many tubes did you pinch.

Just one. And it was immediately as I started the second bead.

builds character posted:

Did you get the big spoon? You need the big spoon.

The ones I had were pretty big. Plus I had another 2 smaller ones, and 2 Bead Buddies.

Slavvy posted:

I've found with tubes it's much easier to partially inflate the tube, put it inside the tyre, then spoon the whole thing on. No loving around with pinched tubes/fingers.

And this was the one good trick I had up my sleeves.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Changed the oil.
Replaced the pin holding in the brake pads on the rear caliper (the original was getting pretty rounded off).
Installed a new air box top.
Replaced the bent clutch perch. I didn't realize how big of a difference that bent perch was making. The lever operates so much smoother now.
Cleaned and lubed the chain.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Deeters posted:

The ones I had were pretty big. Plus I had another 2 smaller ones, and 2 Bead Buddies.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/726/20307/Tusk-17%22-Mega-Tire-Iron

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

This and if you can't get a tire off or on it's usually because you don't have the opposite side of the tire in the drop zone of the rim.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This and if you can't get a tire off or on it's usually because you don't have the opposite side of the tire in the drop zone of the rim.

VROOOOD :argh:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Deeters posted:

Oh, you're doin it without some kinda stand? No wonder you're having some problems.

Get the cheapest manual tire change stand you can find.

This kinda design is enough

It's so much easier when the tire does not move around at all when you apply pressure.

Have the machine on the ground, not on some wobbly table and work with your body weight on it.

It also really helps to have the tire up a good warmth before you work with it. it's so much more mallable at 100f rather then 50f garage cold.
I use a old plastic wash tub, fill that with hot water and soak both the old tire on the wheel and the new tire to get em up to temp.

This is one of the motorcycle jobs where proper tools helps a lot.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 12, 2018

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I cleaned and greased my chain on my wr250r and then sold the bike! Within a half an hour of the sale I was at a dealership trying on new bikes.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Congrats on the sale. FYI I wouldn't buy a DR650 new but I understand your wanting to sit on a few before you buy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Deeters posted:

I used to work at a motorcycle shop and now I pay for them to do it for me.
Seriously though my arm is still hosed up from me helping M42 change her dirtbike tires with spons months ago.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Finally happened. VFR fell over today. Moved in to a new place with a steep driveway. On the way to work, pull it out and put it on the kickstand, looks stable, get off to close the garage, CRUNCH.

It basically slid a meter or two on its right side.

Damage: broken front brake lever (sacrificial joint worked), bent rear brake pedal. Scratches on ALL the fairings on the right side, the clutch cover, the exhaust, the right indicator and the rear passenger peg.

Looked at parts an it's over 2 and a half grand in parts to replace, so I put in an insurance claim for it.

Man I feel like an idiot, only ever stopping at the bottom of the driveway from now on.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Fluids and lever guards on gsxr. FINALLY, after a whole season, managed to fix the brake issue on the sv. I think inverting the calipers above the mc when I was doing my forks dislodged some bubble. Ttr battery is dead but miraculously it started on the first kick despite not being stabil-ed 👌

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I used to work at a motorcycle shop and now I pay for them to do it for me.
Seriously though my arm is still hosed up from me helping M42 change her dirtbike tires with spons months ago.

Ya'll need to get one of these welded up:

It probably helps that I change tires monthly, but with this baby I can do a tire off in about 5 minutes, and a tire on in about 5 minutes. Not counting time is getting the rim in the tire itself, which really depends on how cold the tire is.

I just use C-clamps to clamp it on my bench. I also have one that goes in a receiver hitch on my truck for moto-trips.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

shacked up with Brenda posted:

Ya'll need to get one of these welded up:

It probably helps that I change tires monthly, but with this baby I can do a tire off in about 5 minutes, and a tire on in about 5 minutes. Not counting time is getting the rim in the tire itself, which really depends on how cold the tire is.

I just use C-clamps to clamp it on my bench. I also have one that goes in a receiver hitch on my truck for moto-trips.

Where'd you get the one that goes in a receiver hitch?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

builds character posted:

Where'd you get the one that goes in a receiver hitch?

I walked into a local welders shop with the one I had and asked for one.

I don't think anyone actually makes them! A welder friend of mine made one for me a decade ago.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Are those a new thing or are they popularly used? I'd be worried about loving up the rim/spokes cause you're putting stress on them you wouldn't normally on a machine or a no-mar or the ground. It's mounted just through a fake axle through the wheel hub, right?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Are those a new thing or are they popularly used? I'd be worried about loving up the rim/spokes cause you're putting stress on them you wouldn't normally on a machine or a no-mar or the ground. It's mounted just through a fake axle through the wheel hub, right?

Yeah it's sitting on the wheel spacers, so essentially when you change the tire you're putting load on the bearings, significantly less load than when riding though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've got something very similar for dirt tyres so it must be a popular idea :shrug:

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006

Yeah it's sitting on the wheel spacers, so essentially when you change the tire you're putting load on the bearings, significantly less load than when riding though.

I don't actually know what type of bearings are used in wheel hubs. If they're ball bearings (not roller bearings or plain bushings which handle this better) they don't handle static loads nearly as well as dynamic loads. Sure, there might be less force than while riding, but depending on how hard you're torquing on that tire, it could be damaging.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinelling

It might shorten the life of the bearing but I'm sure people change tires like that and have no issues with it. Just some food for thought.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

That's actually loving genius.
I hosed up my arm because I'm a puny weakling and it just pulled itself right out of the socket.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
decided today was fit enough for a midwinters crank and pray sesh (four months since last ride + started up first try like its only been a week)

see u again in a month~

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ah the ol crank’n’pray

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ah the ol crank’n’pray

kind of glad it's not currently insured or registered as the urge to gear up, hop back on and fkn split town was strong.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Fuel injection = cheating

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
DRZ400SM

rejetted the pilot jet to 22.5 from 25
hopefully this will reduce how rich it runs at idle. biek tends to start smoking when sitting in traffic for a long time. i think it's because of this, but coolant might need to be topped up. there was some dried coolant on my left radiator and fan. not enough to make me worry but having any there at all might me a pinhole which sucks.

found out that my throttle was loose as hell because the pull cable's nut at the carb had come loose and was just hanging on the cable end. tightened it back up after putting the carb back on and it's comfortable wheelie city again

recharged battery, was 11.6 after sitting a while. 14.2 while running now.

lost a screw for the hose clamp lol. used lockwire to pull it together.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Did a number on my EX500 today! Oil change, new rear brake rotor, new brake pads, new chain and sprockets... and was all excited to go for a ride, right up until i overtightened my masterlink, and popped an o-ring getting it off. Got a new masterlink coming tomorrow, because I don't have additional o-rings. Everything else is great though, and it'll be all nice and ready for a bit of plastidip soon, since i'm finally over the gold and weird red tribal stripe... thing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Looked longingly at my bikes all hooked up to their Medusa of battery tenders today while I got In my salty-rear end car and wished the weather was nice.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Put over 200 miles on the 250 in a group ride. Good fun except the area doesn't have any tight twisties (we were near Brenham, TX) which means everyone was keeping a pace of over 75. The little 250 was at red line A LOT and didn't really like anything above 90. It feels slower than my '10 250 felt (this one is an 07) but I can't tell if it's me or the bike or the fact that everyone was hamfisting and leaving me in the dust.

It was fun cutting my mechanic teeth on a non running bike for a bit. Full disclosure, I paid a shop to do the carb sync at the very end. They pulled the carbs and found a crushed o ring from me loving with that air fuel mixture screw too much. I backed it out til it pissed gas on the ground.

I've decided that my garage is just too small for two bieks right now and I'm 99% sure the wife will never ride. And if she does I have her convinced that she needs a GROM. Or perhaps a Honda elite. The 250s days are numbered.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The Pre-08s were supposed to be a bit faster cause they retuned the 08+ to actually have some minute amount of torque below 7k, as opposed to none. Sacrificing some top end, I believe the older ones had a barely higher top speed from the gearing and peakier motor.

The 2010 I had did not ride great but it rode was better than the old ones that felt very soft and mushy compared.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

KTM started right up, though it had dumped all of its oil over the winter from the slowwwww leak on the oil pan. DRZ battery survived storage in my basement. Weather is gonna be over 40 the rest of the week, and I want to work on my low rider, so bikes it is!

Wife and I are moving to Arizona in two months so I’ve gotta get the work done on these while I still got reliable income. UPS is gonna get sick of seeing me over the next couple weeks.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

nsaP posted:

The Pre-08s were supposed to be a bit faster cause they retuned the 08+ to actually have some minute amount of torque below 7k, as opposed to none. Sacrificing some top end, I believe the older ones had a barely higher top speed from the gearing and peakier motor.

The 2010 I had did not ride great but it rode was better than the old ones that felt very soft and mushy compared.

Yep this is exactly what I heard so I was expecting more power than my '10. Mechanic at the shop who actually rode the bike said it felt like it had been beaten pretty good by the PO. "feels like 40k miles rather than 4k." They had about 7 pre gens in their shop at the time...

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I went out into my backyard and rode

I made it dirty

and general fuckery

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

All three bieks have the same carb. god bles

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

All three bieks have the same carb. god bles

Seems like an awkward thing to swap out between bikes but fair enough. Sounds like it’s time for you to do some testing on lectron carbs.

builds character fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
This was a couple of days ago now, but I took my bike for a bit of a ride to run some errands, had a great time on the way home hitting a couple of corners just right (haven’t ridden much for a while so trying to get my leaning confidence up), and then copped an allen key in my not-even-fully-scrubbed-in-yet Diablo Rosso III. The rear one, too.

:shepspends: