Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

turn off the TV posted:

No like that guy went on to form a duo group called The Yes Men who do weird corporate pranks to this day. The other member is the only other person who has claimed any affiliation with RTmark. I think he finally gave a clear account in a book he wrote.

Best Yes Men prank to date was when they blagged their way onto the BBC as representatives of Dow Chemicals, and said they accept full responsibility for and offer a formal apology for, the Bhopal disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
i took it upon myself to fix the tragic lack of big american warehouses on the workshop -- Modular Prewar Warehouse Pack

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there anything worthwhile in the Natural Disasters DLC if I'm not actually interested in having natural disasters?

Lasse Lillebakken
Jul 23, 2007

请大家闭嘴
Not really

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jack Trades posted:

Is there anything worthwhile in the Natural Disasters DLC if I'm not actually interested in having natural disasters?

It's got helicopters and some really nice QOL features that should just be in the base game.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Jack Trades posted:

No.

turn off the TV posted:

some really nice QOL features that should just be in the base game.

This is the first I've heard of this - what QOL features does Natural Disasters have?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bold Robot posted:

This is the first I've heard of this - what QOL features does Natural Disasters have?

Disaster response units clear damaged buildings. If a building burns down or collapses due to flood water they will send out a truck or helicopter, clear the building and return whatever pops you just lost, at which point the building usually repairs itself on its own.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Hm yeah, that's pretty decent. Doesn't sound like it makes the DLC worth purchasing and sounds like it

turn off the TV posted:

should just be in the base game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

Disaster response units clear damaged buildings. If a building burns down or collapses due to flood water they will send out a truck or helicopter, clear the building and return whatever pops you just lost, at which point the building usually repairs itself on its own.

I don't know much about how the game works.
How is that different from an Auto Bulldoze mod?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So helicopter emergency services, disaster response units, and clean water pumps.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I just discovered that alt+f4 quits without prompting to save. Sigh.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Jack Trades posted:

If you get Natural Disasters, even if you keep random disasters turned off, once in a while an entire hillside will burn down for no reason. It's like living in California!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jack Trades posted:

I don't know much about how the game works.
How is that different from an Auto Bulldoze mod?

Auto bulldoze demolishes damaged and abandoned buildings. The disaster relief/response agents allow the damaged building to be repaired, as in your level 5 residential building with 30 cims will be repaired as the same level 5 residential building with 30 cims.

It makes playing cities with hand plopped buildings a lot less frustrating.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

Auto bulldoze demolishes damaged and abandoned buildings. The disaster relief/response agents allow the damaged building to be repaired, as in your level 5 residential building with 30 cims will be repaired as the same level 5 residential building with 30 cims.

Ah, okay.
That really should be a default feature then.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

It makes playing cities with hand plopped buildings a lot less frustrating.

Or you can play with disasters off and a "No Abandonment" mod installed :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I got no-abandonment mod plus a mod that makes it so flooding can never actually destroy things. RIP hundreds of hand-placed props before that though :(

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Albino Squirrel posted:

If you get Natural Disasters, even if you keep random disasters turned off, once in a while an entire hillside will burn down for no reason. It's like living in California!
Yeah it seems pretty familiar to me in Australia too. (Why did California plant so many gum trees? Everyone goes on about how dangerous the animals are, but they're manageable, the most dangerous thing is the trees!)

Really you could probably skip Natural Disasters - I got it because completionist but really the tsunamis are a massive pain in the arse in particular. They go on forever especially when you get the waves coming BACK after you think the worst of it is over.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yeah it seems pretty familiar to me in Australia too. (Why did California plant so many gum trees? Everyone goes on about how dangerous the animals are, but they're manageable, the most dangerous thing is the trees!)

California already had fire-propagating trees of their own, although to be fair I don't think they were near as fire-propagating as gum trees are.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The Deadly Hume posted:

(Why did California plant so many gum trees? Everyone goes on about how dangerous the animals are, but they're manageable, the most dangerous thing is the trees!)

The way I always heard it growing up in Oakland is that by around 1910 or so all of the oaks had been cut down to rebuild San Francisco after the 1906 earthquake/firestorm and to generally build up the area, which was growing a lot at that time. Some investors realized that eucalyptus grows really well in the Bay Area's climate and planted a bunch of it in the hills, hoping to use it for building materials. But it turned out that the wood was super low quality, so it just kind of got left there. This didn't work out very well.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

donoteat posted:

i took it upon myself to fix the tragic lack of big american warehouses on the workshop -- Modular Prewar Warehouse Pack

Took a look at your workshop and it's all pretty much fantastic, great work!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so i had the idea to deal with sewage without polluting the water sources by just digging a poo poo lagoon and putting my drainage stations there, and turning them off and doing a new poo poo lagoon when it got full

things went as planned until i started getting notices about citizens needing a pumping service

at which point I looked over at the poo poo lagoon and realized that a loving tsunami of poo poo water was flooding my city

e: basically this game is incredible

e2: watching cars get carried off into god knows where by the tidal wave of poo is one of the funniest things that has ever happened to me in any city builder

e3: OH GOD I MADE IT WIDER AND NOW IT'S JUST OVERFLOWING EVEN HARDER

e4: behold Cannburg, turned into a new Sodom and Gomorrah by the combined pooping might of 4000 people

see that second river? that's all poo

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 27, 2018

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so i had the idea to deal with sewage without polluting the water sources by just digging a poo poo lagoon and putting my drainage stations there, and turning them off and doing a new poo poo lagoon when it got full

things went as planned until i started getting notices about citizens needing a pumping service

at which point I looked over at the poo poo lagoon and realized that a loving tsunami of poo poo water was flooding my city

e: basically this game is incredible

e2: watching cars get carried off into god knows where by the tidal wave of poo is one of the funniest things that has ever happened to me in any city builder

e3: OH GOD I MADE IT WIDER AND NOW IT'S JUST OVERFLOWING EVEN HARDER

e4: behold Cannburg, turned into a new Sodom and Gomorrah by the combined pooping might of 4000 people

Something you can do to deal with this in an actually functional way is install the extra terrain tools mod and put in a water source in your poogoon. Sink it down to the lowest it will go, and it will simply delete the poo.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Also remember that the outflow pipe thingies create a set amount of outflow, regardless of what your city's actual poop volume is. poo poo lagoons can work even without a water source deleting the poop, as long as you limit the outflow thingies to the bare minimum required.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Ah yes. Everyone learns the poop lesson soon enough.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

dragonshardz posted:

Something you can do to deal with this in an actually functional way is install the extra terrain tools mod and put in a water source in your poogoon. Sink it down to the lowest it will go, and it will simply delete the poo.

I downloaded a custom map that had this feature by default. I’m not sure how they did it, but it had a massive lake which I discovered could have as much poo poo pumped into it as I wanted without ever overflowing. I made it the centrepiece of my utilities outpost. It was fantastic.

The best thing about it was that it was located on a hill above the city, so if I ever got bored I just stuck a bunch of canals over the edge and created a giant disgusting waterfall which devastated the CBD in the worst possible way.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

As always, the obvious Right Thing™ to do is to build a proper poop crater that you can line with poop power plants and take that infinite flow and turn it into infinite perhaps-not-entirely-green poop energy.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I just check which edge of the map the currents go out from, and stack outflow next to that edge. I pump in from opposite end.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Wooden cars? With open platforms? In the subway? What could go wrong?

donoteat fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 28, 2018

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I've come back to Skylines after clearing out my Christmas sale backlog, and I wish there were a more 'organic' way of developing from a hamlet to a village to a small town to a big town to a city to MegaCityOne.

Right now my usual city-building tactic is to build a roundabout from the initial highway junction, but by the time I've built up a sizeable population I'm having to raze everything to the ground to accommodate new services and add road arteries; it works in-game because Cims are perfectly fine with forced overnight relocations from their suburban enclaves into new housing elsewhere, but it sticks in my teeth a little. Instead, I'd love to build up a rural farming community from a single 'Main Street', or a railway village built around a single crossroads.

I suppose what I'm asking is: are there any user-made maps out there with a partial transport network already in place, that I can 'fill in the gaps' and develop myself?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'd be curious too. I think the choice between awkwardly expanding or pre-planning everything always makes me bounce off the game. I don't think I've ever made it through the normal progression.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I don't think the highway connection needed from the beginning lends itself to natural expansion. It's always irked me and felt awkward until the city has expanded enough to encompass the starting highway.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

John Murdoch posted:

I'd be curious too. I think the choice between awkwardly expanding or pre-planning everything always makes me bounce off the game. I don't think I've ever made it through the normal progression.

I just realized that this is why I stopped playing Skylines a year ago. It's exactly this.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

If my industrial areas are short on employees, would it be better to build low density or high density residential?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
I don't understand why commercial happiness is always like 10% lower than residential, office, or industrial happiness in every city I build. Is there a mechanic I'm not really understanding or is this a common problem for everyone?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SkunkDuster posted:

If my industrial areas are short on employees, would it be better to build low density or high density residential?

I generally build high density, but the bigger problem comes from everyone eventually getting educated regardless of you only having one university.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

i dunno why i did this since it's the most niche station imaginable and has a totally impractical layout, but here's North Philadelphia Station.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

dogstile posted:

I generally build high density, but the bigger problem comes from everyone eventually getting educated regardless of you only having one university.

In the long run it doesn't really matter because educated cims will eventually take a job of a lower education level, they just greatly prefer jobs of the correct education level. So they'll fill every last fancy schmancy office clerk job while the 7/11s all sit empty until finally there's not a single white-collar job left and then they will gradually lower themselves to bagging groceries and cutting trees.

Education is probably the mechanic Skylines flubs the most, particularly in relation to the fact proximity and access only matter for largely-irrelevant happiness reasons. So many education levels and they're not really relevant to anything except which jobs your cims prefer, but there doesn't really seem to be much other weighting going to that: cims don't give a poo poo if they live and work on opposite sides of the map and will 'attend' a school on an island in the middle of the ocean with no access to the rest of anything so that they can continue to live in the same lovely house and maybe get a different, slightly better job, on a different other-side of the map.

It's a fun nerd bonsai though. Traffic engineering is a satisfying little puzzle too.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

donoteat posted:

i dunno why i did this since it's the most niche station imaginable and has a totally impractical layout, but here's North Philadelphia Station.

I always enjoy seeing stuff like this, great work!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I haven't played this in a few years and am thinking of picking it back up.

What mods are worth getting these days? I am subscribed to all sorts of poo poo but who the heck knows if it's updated, broken, etc at this point. I'm mainly interested in QOL stuff and building/roadway variety especially of the non-micromanagement sort. How accurate is the OP on this stuff since it hasn't been updated since 2015 which coincidentally is about the last time I played this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Is there a mod that tells exactly what a building needs to level up instead of just the generic "provide more services or raise the land value"?