Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raserys posted:

I watched dbz with my dad when it came out, but I was too young to really understand it so that came later with budokai and the internet

...How young are you? I'm not sure if I'm missing something or you're genuinely making me feel really old here, because I was like, six when I watched this darned anime, thanks to my brother getting me into the stuff he liked. And it was the Androids already at that point, so it was quite the ride.

Rhonne posted:

I played Dragon Ball Final Bout while we were still in the middle of the Namek saga.

Oh man, I loved that terrible game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Is there an episode this week?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I remember being in eighth grade and playing Score's DBZ card game and one of the older players outlining the Buu Saga. I had this idea that Goten was insanely powerful and that Gotenks was even more insane. I was also incredibly confused by the vague description of Buu's progression.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Fargin Icehole posted:

Is there an episode this week?

Yep, there's one tonight, then the next one isn't until March 3rd

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I’ll never forget the first super saiyan. The day Goku went super saiyan was the day my parents separated. My mom and myself moved to our apartment and I was sumpremely stressed because it was 30 min before DBZ came on and I asked if we could leave later. I rushed into the apartment hooked up my tv, and didn’t unpack anything else until dbz was over

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

...How young are you? I'm not sure if I'm missing something or you're genuinely making me feel really old here, because I was like, six when I watched this darned anime, thanks to my brother getting me into the stuff he liked. And it was the Androids already at that point, so it was quite the ride.

Oh man, I loved that terrible game.

Dunno about that guy but I'm 22, personally. First time I ever experienced the DBZ story was the Budokai 2 story mode.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Blaze Dragon posted:

I vaguely remember an awareness of dragonball from when I lived in the Philippines, and that was 4 years old at the oldest

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'll never forget growing up with Z. It was the first anime I ever really got into. I remember watching Toonami every night I could to see the latest episode, or watching one of the movies. I specifically remember sneaking off to watch The Tree of Might while we were visiting one of my aunt and uncle's houses. It was too long ago to remember my specific reaction to Super Saiyan, but I'm sure it blew my tiny child mind.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I'll never forget growing up with Z. It was the first anime I ever really got into. I remember watching Toonami every night I could to see the latest episode, or watching one of the movies. I specifically remember sneaking off to watch The Tree of Might while we were visiting one of my aunt and uncle's houses. It was too long ago to remember my specific reaction to Super Saiyan, but I'm sure it blew my tiny child mind.

everyone in my elementary school got super excited over trunks showing up and talked about it a bunch

I do specifically remember getting hyped as gently caress over gohan going super saiyan 2 the first time

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Momomo posted:

I loved the hell out of this amazing, terrible game. It was so cool to see all these characters we wouldn't have any context for until like five years in the future.

I played the SNES fighting game first, I forget its title but it had Broly and Goku as unlockable characters if during the little intro video you input Up X Down B L Y R A and I remember that entirely from muscle memory
It also had this weird story mode that I guess was the Cell Games saga but there was multiple choice and you could somehow fight Broly I think if you made the right choices?

Also I just discovered I don’t even have to make like a crunchyroll account to watch it on the PS4 and am now watching DBSuper like a normal human being. Kinda distracting when they use italicized japanese honorifics in the subs

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Calaveron posted:

I played the SNES fighting game first, I forget its title but it had Broly and Goku as unlockable characters if during the little intro video you input Up X Down B L Y R A and I remember that entirely from muscle memory
It also had this weird story mode that I guess was the Cell Games saga but there was multiple choice and you could somehow fight Broly I think if you made the right choices?
I think that was one of the Super Butodens. I played a ton of those SNES DB games. Hyper Dimension was my jam.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The episode is up on Crunchyroll.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Crunchyroll appears to be dead from the stress

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Where the gently caress is Freeza?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Daisuke is live @ 1080p.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I love how they don't acknowledge Frieza a single time in this episode, not even the Universe 7 members in the stand are curious as to where he is.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Watching RoF arc now, cracks me up how Frieza’s entire catastrophically powerful upgrade hinges on push ups, sit ups, and plenty of juice

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

e;fb

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The best thing that the hiatus/end of Dragon Ball Super brings is that Jiren won't be around anymore.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Calaveron posted:

Watching RoF arc now, cracks me up how Frieza’s entire catastrophically powerful upgrade hinges on push ups, sit ups, and plenty of juice

He found out what juice Vegeta drinks

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm impressed. The more we see and learn about Jiren the more boring he becomes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
they're absolutely going to go with U7 winning via Freeza's unconscious loving husk lying on the arena floor and I love it

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So I don’t know if future arcs answer this but so Jaco is a space cop right, so who is his boss or how’d he get the job

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I love how they don't acknowledge Frieza a single time in this episode, not even the Universe 7 members in the stand are curious as to where he is.

Goku's fighting to protect him, didn't you see the flashback

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Calaveron posted:

So I don’t know if future arcs answer this but so Jaco is a space cop right, so who is his boss or how’d he get the job

They already showed his boss in the U6 tournament arc, the Galactic King

As for how he got in, who knows? Police academy?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

The best thing that the hiatus/end of Dragon Ball Super brings is that Jiren won't be around anymore.

Yeah like holy gently caress did they ruin him hard and quick. It was better when the anime didn’t tell us anything about him because holy poo poo it’s bad

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kashuno posted:

Yeah like holy gently caress did they ruin him hard and quick. It was better when the anime didn’t tell us anything about him because holy poo poo it’s bad

Like what we saw of him in the manga was interesting. It's a shame the anime did not follow that and are kind of making him out as a generic bad guy despite being a Super Hero Team.

Like I have no understanding of why Jiren is part of the Pride Troopers.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 18, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Every time he opens its mouth it's some of the worst, nothing villain dialogue in the series.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I know 18 is pretty important in ToP but man so far these people want to pretend women don’t exist in Dragon Ball huh

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Calaveron posted:

I know 18 is pretty important in ToP but man so far these people want to pretend women don’t exist in Dragon Ball huh

Were did this come from.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Like I have no understanding of why Jiren is part of the Pride Troopers.

Yeah pretty much this. What the hell is Jiren even doing with Toppo and the rest if he

A) doesn’t like them
B) doesn’t trust them
C) thinks they’re weak

Why did he help Dyspo earlier? What the gently caress was that meditation thing all about?

It’s like they had a character in mind then scrapped him to turn him into standard garbage idiot

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Were did this come from.

I mean Videl’s just there to hold Pan and 18 was just there to hold Marron and shave Krillin. Yes I might intentionally have forgotten Bulma who is a lifelong friend of what the third most powerful mortal, wife of the fourth most powerful mortal and in good terms with an angel and thus has some huge pull

EDIT: Also has huge balls of steel

Also man Gohan looks like such a dweeb

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How dare you forget Vados

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

I mean Videl’s just there to hold Pan and 18 was just there to hold Marron and shave Krillin. Yes I might intentionally have forgotten Bulma who is a lifelong friend of what the third most powerful mortal, wife of the fourth most powerful mortal and in good terms with an angel and thus has some huge pull

EDIT: Also has huge balls of steel

Also man Gohan looks like such a dweeb

Did you forget like the 5 episodes dedicated just to Caulifla and Kale and then Kefla?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Jiren is an Ok antagonist (not villain) but he doesn;t work as part of the pride troopers.
Ever since 4-5 eps ago i get the idea that they got the announcement for the hiatus/end a few eps too late and are rushing through things.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Remember how 3 episodes ago Jiren was all disappointed in Toppo and we thought it was because he didn't like how Toppo sacrificed his ideals for power or w/e but no turns out he's just mad Toppo didn't punch hard enough.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Calaveron posted:

What are you even talking about?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Guys Calaveron said he's rewatching the RoF arc.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pureauthor posted:

Remember how 3 episodes ago Jiren was all disappointed in Toppo and we thought it was because he didn't like how Toppo sacrificed his ideals for power or w/e but no turns out he's just mad Toppo didn't punch hard enough.

jiren seemed like he'd be interesting but for some reason they just took a hard left into the most boring explanation for his behavior possible.
I guess that's what happens when you're juggling the show between different writers each week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

What are you even talking about?

Shonen Anime Does Not Give Women Strong Roles, news at 11