Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Ciaphas posted:

I mean I was able to murder one successfully by using a battery in a roundabout way* but I didn't see any teeth or anything anywhere. Wonder if I was supposed to harvest the corpse with the knife a la Monster Hunter.

stabbing a sea predator sounds like my nightmares :cry:

* ramming in seamoth and subsequent repair

Shitpost aside, Stalkers occasionally lose a tooth when they pick up an object. For example, metal salvage or camera drones. They emit an audible *crack* when they break a tooth. If you've got a scanner room and the HUD chip, try setting it to scan for stalker teeth then dropping 2-3 metal salvage near one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, there's a misleading Degrassi audio log that talks about killing Stalkers for their teeth, but you can't actually get them that way in the game.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 17, 2018

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Shitpost aside, Stalkers occasionally lose a tooth when they pick up an object. For example, metal salvage or camera drones. They emit an audible *crack* when they break a tooth. If you've got a scanner room and the HUD chip, try setting it to scan for stalker teeth then dropping 2-3 metal salvage near one of them.

This. Just leave a bunch of scrap in an area with some stalkers and come back every once and a while, for some teeth :)

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

GlyphGryph posted:

Can anyone post their bases? I love seeing bases.

This was my main base in my first game - at the bottom of the slopes from the grassy plateaus to the dunes in the south-west, next to three thermal vents. I expanded it later by extending the 'towers' up and down and adding a third tower in the middle purely for alien containment, as well as adding a foundation plus exterior growbeds underneath the glass tube on the right so I could cultivate all the kelp and mushrooms and gel sacs I wanted.

Here's the bedroom area because I was quite proud of it:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

The saddest part of Subnautica is that there's so many good places for a base and so many good views for your bedroom but you can only pick one for your main base.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Build a base right next to all the teleporters; then you can jaunt between them whenever you like!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

The saddest part of Subnautica is that there's so many good places for a base and so many good views for your bedroom but you can only pick one for your main base.

My base goes through the teleporter from gun island to floater island and I have a bedroom (and soon a moonpool) on each side.

Also the view from halfway up gun island is pretty sweet.

Will post pics today for sure, they werent uplpading last night it was weird.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Or you could just set up a scanner room and let the stalkers chew on the cameras. I only used the cameras a few times in my playthrough, the rest of the time they were just there as chew toys for the stalkers.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Come on folks, just hold out a piece of metal and let them take it and they will happily give you a tooth. THAT is what the degrassi log says to do, not fighting them.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
A time capsule! What wonders has some kind stranger left me?

Large purified water and a light stick.

Thanks, guess I was feelin bit thirsty. :smith:

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Ultimate best tip: Sleeping actually has a function other than turning night to day, it also accelerates the charging of batteries and the production of water and salt from the purifier. It also may increase the speed the cyclops gains charge from heat sources and plant growths too, all without expending any food and drink.

In a similar vien, sitting on a chair prevents you from losing food or drink points too, perfect for reading entries in your tablet thingy without worrying about dying of thirst.

I'm sure some of you already know all this but I discovered it while I was playing and it was super useful.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Ya'll keep posting about time capsules that contain ion stuff meanwhile all the ones I open have loot that is just insulting.

A bottle of water? Really?
Time capsules are a source of incredible hatred by people who will complain that time capsules should be nerfed into oblivion (as people spam downvotes on the vote page over nearly everything) because finding cool poo poo "Ruined the purity of the experience".

Because as an MLG hardcore gamer who was robbed of unlocking things themselves, once realized from the comfort of their rocket putting only a bottle of water and raw fish into their time capsule, how could they have possibly had the two braincells to rub together to know space lootboxes crammed full of upgrades meant they wouldn't have to craft the upgrades if they used them?

Simply not using the stuff you find isn't good enough, gotta demand they be nerfed into the ground or disabled entirely. All while proclaiming it's for the benefit of new players who "Couldn't know better" :v:

For some reason the subject really bugs me, because the thought of helping out people struggling who would honestly enjoy so much as a free regular power cell is just an alien concept to faux hardcores that only care about their own E-Peen.

"What if somebody has been struggling to unlock the laser cutter for hours? They would be glad to have... Oh gently caress them all and burn it to the ground because an ion battery 'ruined your game'? Okay."

GlyphGryph posted:

Come on folks, just hold out a piece of metal and let them take it and they will happily give you a tooth. THAT is what the degrassi log says to do, not fighting them.
I'm still waiting on them to retcon that log, just like they removed the Stasis Rifle datafile telling you "get a conventional weapon to defend yourself" because nonlethal don't cut it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 17, 2018

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The things I put in my time capsule was a food ration, a big bottle of water and a seacrown seed. I also pretended to be some kind of concerned botanist. I only did that because I assumed that would be the kind of thing they wanted in there. Looking at the page, its filled with dozens of downvotes on every single one of them. I don't even know if mine made it through.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I dont know what log you are talking about. Theres only one I know of that talks about getting teeth from stalkers and it says to feed them metal to do it.

Although the dude does worry she killed the stalkers anyway even though it wasnt needed.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Given the community that drove Natural Selection 2 player count to nil because of insistence on high "skill" ceiling making learning any level of skill an unfun slog against people that haven't stopped playing since NS1, I can believe the stupidity. Ain't no amount of feature creep that is going to fix stupid like that.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
I shoved all the gear with ion batteries I could into the timecapsule, and wrote a note telling them where to find the floating islands edible plants and growbeds.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I mean the ideal time capsule to me is someone either putting in genuinely helpful things or doing a clever RP story with their items. Haven't found anything like that yet. Its always just "yay I won here take this garbage from the start I was keeping for inexplicable reasons :downs:".

Best thing I've found was stasis rifle, which would of been really nice if I didn't already have one.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So I just made the Cyclops and now I'm wondering a) what's next and b) can I build more storage into this thing somehow because hot diggity drat a mobile underwater base is cool as heck.

I've got a little minibase I started under my lifepod for growing food and storing poo poo because idk wtf i'm doing, dunno if I should just leave it there or tear it down or what

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 17, 2018

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You’ll still want an actual base for moonpool, fabricator, scanner room and battery charging duties, but yeah you can install as many lockers and growbeds as you can fit onto the sub, a home away from home away from home

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ciaphas posted:

So I just made the Cyclops and now I'm wondering a) what's next and b) can I build more storage into this thing somehow because hot diggity drat a mobile underwater base is cool as heck.

I've got a little minibase I started under my lifepod for growing food and storing poo poo because idk wtf i'm doing, dunno if I should just leave it there or tear it down or what

Do you have the prawn suit? Once you have the cyclops and the prawn suit you can start diving deeper into the endgame biomes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

Do you have the prawn suit? Once you have the cyclops and the prawn suit you can start diving deeper into the endgame biomes

Short a couple of lithium and a diamond on that one, but I'm close.

The Cyclops can only carry the Seamoth OR the Prawn, right? Not both at once? What should I use when?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

The Cyclops can only carry the Seamoth OR the Prawn, right? Not both at once? What should I use when?

You're probably better off with the Prawn most of the time. While the Seamoth is undoubtedly the most pleasant vehicle to drive, it doesn't actually do anything that the others cannot. Meanwhile the Prawn can drill and can enter deeper areas that would crush the Seamoth.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Vargs posted:

You're probably better off with the Prawn most of the time. While the Seamoth is undoubtedly the most pleasant vehicle to drive, it doesn't actually do anything that the others cannot. Meanwhile the Prawn can drill and can enter deeper areas that would crush the Seamoth.

Seconding this - the cyclops can park in deep but warm water and charge the prawn while you putt putt around in your mobile base. The seamoth doesn't do much that the cyclops can't (albeit the moth is easier to pilot), and when neither of them can do the job you need, the prawn will.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Fully upgraded seamoth can at least deal with all the lost river content, and can be very useful leaving beacons for return trips. But the "endgame" is deeper than it is allowed to go.

Seamoth is also easier to get in and out of the jellyshroom biome, which is why I used it with a pair of cargo pods to go down there and hand loot a bunch of lithium and magnetite (one such trip so I could build the prawn drill in the first place).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well, now I've got the Prawn :D Not too sure what to do with it, it's just got punchy arms and nothing else, but at least I have it.

gonna go punch that reaper nerd gonna punch him goooood

actually no i'm not that's too scary but idk what else to do at the mo'

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

and i STILL CAN'T CHARGE BATTERIES :mad:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Holy cow, there's a time capsule site!?

Holy cow :stare: there's a lot of time capsules. And no search function :magical:

Ciaphas posted:

Putt putt around the kelp forests and grassy plains, they should be there.

Might also be some in the Degassi Seabases.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Don't worry, all the battery charger fragments you could ever need are right next to all the laser cutter fragments you could ever need.

Inside a laser cutter door sealed room.

For a more hopeful note, every major wreck in the grassy plateau has battery charger fragments on their spawn list. But you're still mostly dealing with RNJesus even if you know the map like the back of your hand.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I put 3 posters, the mini aurora and two ion cells in my capsule.

I never actually found any capsules while playing

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Ciaphas posted:

Well, now I've got the Prawn :D Not too sure what to do with it, it's just got punchy arms and nothing else, but at least I have it.

gonna go punch that reaper nerd gonna punch him goooood

actually no i'm not that's too scary but idk what else to do at the mo'

Punch sharks to death.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Just got a scanner room going. I imagine I want these dotted all around the place, but do I want range, speed or both for upgrades?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Just got a scanner room going. I imagine I want these dotted all around the place, but do I want range, speed or both for upgrades?

Range makes it go further, speed makes it scan faster. Range therefore is generally better for static emplacements, speed more useful if you're setting one up temporarily to scan an area, though i would suggest that range overall is by far more useful as it allows you to cover a much greater area and is probably faster than trying to set up a bunch of smaller ones with speed.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I just went for 2 range and 2 speed in each scanner room I built. Also I didn't build that many of them because unless you have serious underwater-city construction plans you don't actually need to stripmine the entire map. Stripmining one or two areas will suffice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly I only build them to look at the model, I've never really had a use for them. Though the camera drones are relaxing to pilot knowing you're perfectly safe.

I'd probably like them more if the drones could pick things up.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
With the HUD chip they're a huge timesaver for finding stuff like stalker teeth or just any resource you want to pick up in bulk. I hardly use the drones at all, except as makeshift beacons early on.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I only built one on my main base thanks to stalker shenanigans triggering me when they messed with my cameras.

1 range, 1 speed and the hud chip. I only used it to find quartz, copper and stalker teeth to stock up on those when I ran low.

Being able to cherry-pick what you want out of everything is probably their best use.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Why do I feel so dull playing this? I touched it for a few hours in the early access, realized it was a good choice and left it to cook. Now that I've sunk ten hours into it I don't feel any drive to continue.

I've been to The cannon, I've seen it do the thing. I've had a alien tap me in the brain wondering who I was, I've swung by the ship and gotten irritated at jumping crabs, and I built the little sub but...

It feels like I'm replaying a game I beat already. What the gently caress is broke with my brain? :smith:

I guess what I'm really asking the thread is, should I push on? Got any spoilers for whats ahead that might invest me? I'm fully prepared to drop this game entirely and take my ten hours of peaceful sea exploring as the high note.

Convince me otherwise?

Because I really wanted to love this. The ocean is awesome, the fish are cool and the premise is extremely my poo poo after playing the hell out of a minecraft modpack called Blightfall.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean, you're in the ocean, and the thing about oceans is they have a bottom. Don't you wonder what's down in the black?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Section Z posted:

Time capsules are a source of incredible hatred by people who will complain that time capsules should be nerfed into oblivion (as people spam downvotes on the vote page over nearly everything) because finding cool poo poo "Ruined the purity of the experience".

Because as an MLG hardcore gamer who was robbed of unlocking things themselves, once realized from the comfort of their rocket putting only a bottle of water and raw fish into their time capsule, how could they have possibly had the two braincells to rub together to know space lootboxes crammed full of upgrades meant they wouldn't have to craft the upgrades if they used them?

Simply not using the stuff you find isn't good enough, gotta demand they be nerfed into the ground or disabled entirely. All while proclaiming it's for the benefit of new players who "Couldn't know better" :v:

For some reason the subject really bugs me, because the thought of helping out people struggling who would honestly enjoy so much as a free regular power cell is just an alien concept to faux hardcores that only care about their own E-Peen.

"What if somebody has been struggling to unlock the laser cutter for hours? They would be glad to have... Oh gently caress them all and burn it to the ground because an ion battery 'ruined your game'? Okay."

I know, right? These people are receiving help from a stranger and throwing it in the mud. Then, when it comes their time to help someone else, they give them a bottle of piss. It costs absolutely nothing to put anything in a time capsule, why would you not do that. There's some kind of deep social commentary to be made here but I am too angry about this and I just can not be arsed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I kind of don't want to explore anywhere with the Prawn because of how hard it is to travel vertically in it. Oh god what if I strand that expensive thing in the Jellyshroom biome :ohdear:

Finished looking around there and the Degassi area though, finally made a battery charger, then realized there's no reason I can't have a fabricator and radio in the cyclops and made those, and now the world is my oyster.

Except I've run out of guidance from the radio and I haven't a sodding clue where to explore next. :(