Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Lol at the doorknob in that girls room (now study) being decently out of reach for a small child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Southern Heel posted:

I do have a small few questions however:
- How can I work out what type/colour of curtains to use? It seems that pinterest/etc. are allergic to having curtains or any kind of window coverings. I'm not in direct sunlight and face into the countryside so no requirement for blackout curtains/etc.

How much use do you want to get out of that window ledge? I'd either do a simple shade hanging outside the frame, or a small curtain (possible even just cafe curtains) within the frame. Something neutral but textured for the shade, or sheers for curtains.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

BadSamaritan posted:

Lol at the doorknob in that girls room (now study) being decently out of reach for a small child.

Maybe it used to be a ballet school/witch's coven.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Interesting observation - they took off all the locks in all of the other rooms (bathroom, toilet, etc.) and the door obviously had a peephole that has been covered by a board to check in. Dinosaur lamp is being toe punted over the railway line at the end of my garden at the earliest convenience.

Not looking to get much use out of the window ledge - a current forerunner is a brass rod with a white sheer curtain. Infact, brass was going to be my go-to for metal trim; so I'm super happy to hear that it's come up independently. Thinking about it however, are cafe curtains a good bet? It would certainly look alot more delicate, but I'm on the 1st (brit)/2nd (us) floor. Do you mean that I'd have a horizontal bar in the middle of the pane? Unfortunately the window is already tiiiiny so I'm not sure about cutting that in half visually again would work?

Walls: Light Grey
Pipes: Boxed in or Dark Grey
Radiators: Radiator covers in one of the two greys
Trim: Dark wood skirting/doorframe/window sill
Metal: Brass

For lamp, I was thinking a floor-standing and shaded. I'm worried about EVERYTHING being in the grey/green spectrum; will the floor be enough to bring it away from looking monochrome?

Are those Edison bulbs taking the theme a bit too far? Other than that I'm thinking of a couple of prints framed up on the wall opposite the PC desk, and that'll basically round it out.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 7, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nooo at least put dinosaur lamp on the curb for someone to pick up, it's amazing.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

peanut posted:

Nooo at least put dinosaur lamp on the curb for someone to pick up, it's amazing.

Yeah, at least weatherize and give it life as a party lamp to hang from a tree branch at night.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Southern Heel posted:

Not looking to get much use out of the window ledge - a current forerunner is a brass rod with a white sheer curtain. Infact, brass was going to be my go-to for metal trim; so I'm super happy to hear that it's come up independently. Thinking about it however, are cafe curtains a good bet? It would certainly look alot more delicate, but I'm on the 1st (brit)/2nd (us) floor. Do you mean that I'd have a horizontal bar in the middle of the pane? Unfortunately the window is already tiiiiny so I'm not sure about cutting that in half visually again would work?

Cafe curtains can work even on tiny windows, so you'll probably just need to mock something up to see how you feel about it. I think the only thing you need to avoid is adding more visual weight to a small window on a small wall. If you have your heart set on curtains over a shade and don't want to fuss with a rod inside the frame, then go with a slim rod and a light curtain fabric that just covers the opening.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Where do I buy an art for my space? I'm looking for something original and none of the local galleries have anything that strikes me. Am I just doomed to searching on Etsy or something for paintings? I'm not looking for a commissioned piece either.

e: assuming I find a local piece, is it allowed to negotiate the price or is that in bad taste

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

PRADA SLUT posted:

Where do I buy an art for my space? I'm looking for something original and none of the local galleries have anything that strikes me. Am I just doomed to searching on Etsy or something for paintings? I'm not looking for a commissioned piece either.

e: assuming I find a local piece, is it allowed to negotiate the price or is that in bad taste
Some of the local coffee shops around here have artists' works on display that can be purchased, so maybe get caffeinated and try that.

It's bad taste, would you want someone to negotiate what you get paid every time you do your job?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PRADA SLUT posted:

Really depends on where you live. Outside of large or cultural cities it can be hard to find art galleries with stuff worth buying, depending of course on your taste. I'd have a hard time buying art without really seeing or "experiencing" it in person first though. Galleries often have fairly high turn over, just keep at it and don't think you need to quick fill wall space with art or anything, that's how you get walls covered with "an art".

Also yeah, trying to talk down art prices is kinda gauche, specially if it's with the actual artist. Sometimes though if an artist likes you and you're buying multiple pieces they will give you a deal, but that's up to them and should not at all be expected or fished for.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 7, 2018

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Try http://www.minted.com.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

PRADA SLUT posted:

If you're looking for canvas prints I've gotten a few things from iCanvas.com. They have a decent selection of stuff, they're well put together, and are usually running a deal.
Society6.com also has a lot artists who use them for canvas prints.

Edit: I'm a moron and didn't see you say original. Ignore me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PRADA SLUT posted:

Some galleries (even large public museumy ones) will let you rent or buy pieces from their collections. I’ve seen prices from about $500 to...more than $500.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a solid gold toilet up for grabs if you just want to borrow art.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Cafe curtains are the easiest. Extendy rod and a hand towel, boom!

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

I've seen some neat art on ebth.com, the only downside is that it takes them weeks to ship things.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

PRADA SLUT posted:

Shameless plug for one of my favorite local galleries

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Just to confirm, do you mean the bottom half or the top half of the window being covered? i.e. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Curtain-Sq..._72%3A419153031 or https://www.amazon.co.uk/Voile-Curt..._72%3A419153031 ?

With regard to fixing, I just assumed I could get brackets to screw into the inside faces of the window portal and have the bar sitting in them, but I can't seem to find any obvious sources. Is there a particular name for it?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

With regard to fixing, I just assumed I could get brackets to screw into the inside faces of the window portal and have the bar sitting in them, but I can't seem to find any obvious sources. Is there a particular name for it?

In the US they call them "closet rod flanges", in the UK they go by "rail end sockets" or "rail end supports": https://www.screwfix.com/c/security-ironmongery/rail-supports/cat841014

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

First colour is up, and it's looking good. I painted the pipes for now in dark grey (I appreciate I can box them in later, but painting them with a little sample put from Wickes has meant that they're no longer scabby copper and yellowed plastic) and have ordered some radiator covers to collect later on.

Now I'm in search of some prints to hang - I think like this room could do with a matched pair to hang on one of the long walls. I was thinking of going with framed line-drawings (architectural plans, etc.), but I'm worried about ending up TOO staid. While I'm after a fairly classical edwardian look I don't want it ending up looking like a grandma's spare bedroom. Is it carte blanche to go with crazy colours on prints/paintings/posters? For ex. broadly contemporary with the house and the colours would be something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Edwardia...6cUam3dJ9BtmR_Q but while the hazy orange would look great on a white wall, I'm not sure it wouldn't just push the muted colours into drabness.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 10, 2018

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

I've also got

don't leave us hanging

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
For how awful grey and orange are together, see: McLaren F1.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like it, something with trains or patent illustrations would work too.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Pictures of naked people

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
sorry thought this was google

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

The thrilling conclusion that nobody in the thread cares about : we painted over the red wall and replaced the dining room light with a fixture that we liked more.

Before:

After:

We ended up using cloud white. Next is removing all the 40 year old carpet for some new laminate.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

A massive improvement frankly.

On the question of dining room lighting I've nearly finished walling off the dining room and living room and I want to change the light in there, currently it's a pendant shade, I want something downlighty but without direct glare from the bulb. A large globe bulb with crown mirroring would be okay in the right shade but there isn't much choice in 1000-ish lumen 4000k led bulbs. Any suggestions?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Is that lamp hanging at face height?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I think it's a weird perspective thing - look at where the picture's being taken from relative to the floor.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Is that lamp hanging at face height?

It's about 6 feet off the ground; it's going to hang above our dining room table.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

cakesmith handyman posted:

A massive improvement frankly.

On the question of dining room lighting I've nearly finished walling off the dining room and living room and I want to change the light in there, currently it's a pendant shade, I want something downlighty but without direct glare from the bulb. A large globe bulb with crown mirroring would be okay in the right shade but there isn't much choice in 1000-ish lumen 4000k led bulbs. Any suggestions?

Since the most common usage for those is ambient and not primary light, yeah that's a hard ask

Here is the thing you probably already found that doesn't meet either of your requirements :haw:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/172306/MAX-76530.html

2700K / 700lm

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Thinking about it, since LED's don't get all that hot, just buying a clear LED in the temp/lumen you want then using krylon chrome on it is probably a reasonable thing to try.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I have considered both that and buying some silver nitrate and depositing silver on a suitable bright led globe. I also found this:

Which seems to be exactly what I want, but it's a floor lamp. The reflector seems to be a standard lamp screw collar fitting though, so what I want is technically doable!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

From a castle in Milwaukee, built in 1912.

This furniture just looks so uncomfortable

The Ikea rug does not fit

Even rich assholes must be reminded that they are in a KITCHEN

They ran out of money to decorate the 7th bedroom and tried half-assed shabby chic which doesn't work inside a loving castle

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
The McMansion of Mad King Ludwig.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I like the Cafe de Paris chalkboard yet they couldn’t bother using “cuisine” as their wall art

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

I like the Cafe de Paris chalkboard yet they couldn’t bother using “cuisine” as their wall art

Café de Paris, Columbus, OH

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Anyone have any software recommendations for playing around with designing houses? I don't mean laying out the contents of rooms, I mean the architecture. I could always fire up Blender I guess, but there's probably some more suitable program.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Anyone have any software recommendations for playing around with designing houses? I don't mean laying out the contents of rooms, I mean the architecture. I could always fire up Blender I guess, but there's probably some more suitable program.

I used SketchUp to put together a model of my house, and I used Fusion 360 to do the stairs. They both have their pros and cons and both are free for this sort of use.

The main kick in the balls of SketchUp is it doesn't support curves, but I found it easier to position things than with Autodesk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
I grew up using AutoCAD but then I started building more than drawing and found I was learning/fighting with the software more than drawing--plus the costs got way out of hand. I've switched to a combination of TurboFloorPlan and Chief Architect. TurboFloorPlan is very inexpensive and super easy to use.

Depending on the client and the project, I'll give my copy of TurboFloorPlan to a client to use for a few weeks and let them run wild designing their dream house. Turbo takes minutes to get started with but hits limitations pretty quickly. But it does a great job showing you what will fit/work and what wont. The thing it does save is lots of back and forth with an architect in the initial steps. For $100 or so--it is tough to beat the price.

Chief Architect lacks the complexity of AutoCAD, but after you learn its limitations works really well. Trying to create a plan pack in Turbo is a kludgey mess, so once the initial design is decided I'll create the plan pack with Chief. Laying out the majority of pages is fairly straight forward: grading, foundation, framing, MEP, cross sections/details, landscaping, etc--the only pages that suck to do in Chief are the elevations. I'll spend as much time getting elevations plans to convey what they need to as I'll spend on everything else involved in a plan pack. (But still quicker for me than AutoCAD where I was fighting with every page...)

e: both handle 3D renderings, with Chief handling more complex renderings very easily--time of day cycles/sun positioning/lights on and off inside the house, fly thoughs, views from various positions, and landscaping kind of stuff

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 19, 2018