Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
They said they had no details on pricing at this time. It was the only part of the Steam I caught, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Just looked through the last page and didn't see this posted

http://www.dacardworld.com/search?Search=warhammer

Deep Conquest sale

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

omnibobb posted:

Just looked through the last page and didn't see this posted

http://www.dacardworld.com/search?Search=warhammer

Deep Conquest sale

Well then. Considering I already collect dead card games as a hobby, this is :awesome:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Well speaking of dead games, is anyone interested in my ~6k doomtown (ccg) cards? :negative:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I hope the digital version of LotR fixes the bullshit difficulty (and has an easy mode that actually makes things easier).

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well, I did jump on that w40k Conquest deal, so Wife and I put together a couple of decks and played our first game today.

It was rather fun, though we're still getting some of the timings down (and some of the mechanics could have been better explained in the getting started guide) so we ended up playing with our nose in the bigger rulebook.

Definitely going to be on the lookout to finish out the collection (Missing 7 expansions, one pack and the expansion of which are easy enough to find, the others are apparently silver-plated unobtanium, but oh well. Proxies are a thing I guess.)

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 24, 2017

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I have a collection problem, and the first few packs of the last cycle we're VERY hard to get. I had to resort to eBay for the last pack I was missing.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There's apparently a polish gaming site that still has bits of the last cycle in stock, but holy crap the shipping costs.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

OWLS! posted:

There's apparently a polish gaming site that still has bits of the last cycle in stock, but holy crap the shipping costs.

Might stil be cheaper than eBay.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
My guess is they knew well in advance when their expiration date with GW was going to be and planned accordingly by only printing a bare minimum for those last expansions to avoid taking losses. Between some Gen Con deals and the recent DACW deal I've now got everything except those last 6 packs. I've actually heard that the whole last cycle is worth skipping though, so I'm not stressing about their scarcity.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I was unsleeving a bunch of old decks I had made and putting them away in the binder and I'm missing a whole Conquest deck

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

speaking of conquest does anyone have reccs for starter decks? ive got basically the whole thing but no one to play it with

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

omnibobb posted:

I was unsleeving a bunch of old decks I had made and putting them away in the binder and I'm missing a whole Conquest deck

bt dubs, I found the deck this weekend

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Finally got around to unwrapping Arkham Horror and solo'd the first scenario. It was real fun. Turn one I put out Roland's .38 and the very first treachery forced me to discard it the next turn before I could use it :mad:
Didn't stop him from punching and machete-ing his way past unspeakable horrors with a trusty beat cop by his side.

This game is fun and I can't wait to get into the next scenario.

Do you all play campaign style, or just one scenario at a time?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I play one scenario at a time, but I’ve basically moved to OCTGN for playing it

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

canyoneer posted:

Finally got around to unwrapping Arkham Horror and solo'd the first scenario. It was real fun. Turn one I put out Roland's .38 and the very first treachery forced me to discard it the next turn before I could use it :mad:
Didn't stop him from punching and machete-ing his way past unspeakable horrors with a trusty beat cop by his side.

This game is fun and I can't wait to get into the next scenario.

Do you all play campaign style, or just one scenario at a time?

Campaign style, usually 2-3 scenarios per meetup. Also, thre's a dedicated thread for it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806880

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Did anyone try LOTR Digital at PAX?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

GrandpaPants posted:

Very curious about how this plays compared to the analog version. A lot of the preview videos make it look overly simplified...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

GrandpaPants posted:

They announced last week that they wouldn't have a playable version available.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MeinPanzer posted:

Very curious about how this plays compared to the analog version. A lot of the preview videos make it look overly simplified...

It simplifies things, changes things, adds things. It's a pretty different game (except for the art).

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

sassassin posted:

It simplifies things, changes things, adds things. It's a pretty different game (except for the art).

I'm keeping an open mind, but, as I wrote before, if the game isn't different enough in an interesting way from the analog version I'd hesitate to spend nearly as much money on it as I have on physical cards.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Beneath the Sands may be thematically clever but holy poo poo it's the definition of a go nowhere quest. Ending with 12 threat after 15 rounds feels weird.

Also take chump blockers. Lots of them.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkY7zHBNzyU

Beware, you have to look at streamers. Haven't watched it yet, so can't really speak to any mechanical changes.

Edit: Wow I really don't like how the targeting seems to be RNG. In the card game, it was a good tactical decision to figure out who's defending and who's attacking and who's questing, whereas this is just...random.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 14, 2018

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No shadow cards makes it just another hearthstone clone

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
These mechanical decisions and the design so far are kind of turning me off. I hope they revamp the overall design to make the cards in play look more like actual cards.

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

I know this is the "Living Card Game" thread, but are there any card games with a similar model coming out by companies other than FFG?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

VS 2PCG. It's mostly Marvel, with Aliens and Predator sets.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

agscala posted:

I know this is the "Living Card Game" thread, but are there any card games with a similar model coming out by companies other than FFG?

Shadowfist gets an annual kickstarter. Doomtown just went back to Pinnacle.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Apparently they're finally getting organized play sorted out more fully for Ashes. I wish more people had that near me, it had some really interesting stuff going on and I would love to have a group that played it competitively.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PaybackJack posted:

Apparently they're finally getting organized play sorted out more fully for Ashes. I wish more people had that near me, it had some really interesting stuff going on and I would love to have a group that played it competitively.

It got a decent following at my LCGS, but their distribution model was so hosed up that nobody could get existing products for months and so everyone kinda stopped playing it. Cool game, though.

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

Wow, that seems way too late considering all the hype around Ashes in 2015. Honestly, I'm surprised they're even trying. Do you think it will actually revitalize the scene for that game?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Reposting here since I'm apparently too stupid to see that this thread exists:

So I managed to pick up the Lord of the Rings LCG from FFG at a board gaming flea market for an absolute steal (8 Euros, with the core set + the first Shadows of Mirkwood adventure pack, and in perfect condition). My husband and I have been playing steadily for the past couple weeks, and he's been loving it. He really dislikes competitive gaming, but co-op like this is right up his ally. And it helps that he likes LOTR as a property.

For just casual weekend play between us (or with another couple we occasionally game with, who are also fantasy/card game nerds), should I continue with buying the Shadows of Mirkwood adventure packs to keep with a coherent "campaign" structure, or is there another recommended box for me to go with first? I like the look of a lot of the Khazad-Dum stuff since I'm a big fan of dorfs, but I've also heard a lot of people strongly recommending doing the saga expansions (Black Riders) as a next-step.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Honestly, they are all strong choices if you really want the campaign structure, which would also nudge the black riders ahead.

I think the game has been totally superseded by Arkham but it's still a fine game in its own right.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Thirsty Dog posted:

Honestly, they are all strong choices if you really want the campaign structure, which would also nudge the black riders ahead.

I think the game has been totally superseded by Arkham but it's still a fine game in its own right.

It's really mostly about the IP. LOTR interests the people I want to play with, while Lovecraft doesn't. :shrug:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Black Riders is an extremely good campaign.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Drone posted:

Reposting here since I'm apparently too stupid to see that this thread exists:

So I managed to pick up the Lord of the Rings LCG from FFG at a board gaming flea market for an absolute steal (8 Euros, with the core set + the first Shadows of Mirkwood adventure pack, and in perfect condition). My husband and I have been playing steadily for the past couple weeks, and he's been loving it. He really dislikes competitive gaming, but co-op like this is right up his ally. And it helps that he likes LOTR as a property.

For just casual weekend play between us (or with another couple we occasionally game with, who are also fantasy/card game nerds), should I continue with buying the Shadows of Mirkwood adventure packs to keep with a coherent "campaign" structure, or is there another recommended box for me to go with first? I like the look of a lot of the Khazad-Dum stuff since I'm a big fan of dorfs, but I've also heard a lot of people strongly recommending doing the saga expansions (Black Riders) as a next-step.

I would prioritize packs/boxes with player cards that you want to incorporate into your decks. If you like Dwarves, the Hobbit boxes are good for that. Starting with the Heirs of Numenor box the designers started writing a lot more narrative text which adds to the experience of playing a cycle sequentially, so I'd encourage you to do so at least starting with that box.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
Shadows of Mirkwood isn't particularly good design wise. It was okay at release, but now I find it rather hard to recommend other than for the player cards. The dwarf cycle is way better already and in general enjoyable.

Saga boxes are probably the best choice for a casual play as they have a lot of familiar content.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Am I reading The last quest card of Dunland trap correctly that there are a minimum of TWENTY TURNS in a 4 player game?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Epi Lepi posted:

I would prioritize packs/boxes with player cards that you want to incorporate into your decks. If you like Dwarves, the Hobbit boxes are good for that. Starting with the Heirs of Numenor box the designers started writing a lot more narrative text which adds to the experience of playing a cycle sequentially, so I'd encourage you to do so at least starting with that box.

Print off proxies for cards you want. It's insanely expensive and wasteful to buy quest packs just for 3 of a card you think could be good.

Chazani posted:

Shadows of Mirkwood isn't particularly good design wise. It was okay at release, but now I find it rather hard to recommend other than for the player cards. The dwarf cycle is way better already and in general enjoyable.

Yup.

Core + Dwarrowdelf + Saga campaign is the definitive collection for good lotrsy quests without inflexible gimmicks and/or crippling difficulty spikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

sassassin posted:

Print off proxies for cards you want. It's insanely expensive and wasteful to buy quest packs just for 3 of a card you think could be good.

Man I own all of the cards, expensive and wasteful is miles behind me.