Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In Idaho they use cedar char which works to just below freezing. Black ash gets warm in sunlight and melts ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Locator posted:

In Northern Arizona they used to (and I think still do but don't know for sure) use ash-rock on the frozen roads. Doesn't melt it just provides traction.

In South Dakota they used to use quartzite (locally known as Pipestone). It works like salt but it can be swept up with trucks and reused.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cellular Suicide posted:

Yeah, married with two kids. Both are young enough to not be in school or deeply rooted in friends, sports groups etc. But our support network is here and we make enough to be comfortable while we would probably giving up some quality of life by moving. I think I’m leaning towards the safe and boring choice of staying, which makes me feel guilty for even getting the offer. Then I’m going nuts over whether to tell my current employer about the offer as leverage for a raise or just keep it to myself.

A job is simply a mechanism (knowledge, action , whatever) that turns a thing into another thing (money). A job does not define you. Your wife husband significant other kids and things you do or are does. There’s nothing wrong with safe and boring.

It’s up to the individual, of course, but there is more important things than money: friends, family, etc.

Be careful how you leverage the potential new job against your old. Many employers will simply offer to match, or even give a bit more, to give time to find your replacement

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
MGS, sent you a PM.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Locator posted:

In Northern Arizona they used to (and I think still do but don't know for sure) use ash-rock on the frozen roads. Doesn't melt it just provides traction.

They use gravel here when it gets below salt's working range, which works wonders for windshields.

Sorry, windshield SHOPS, works wonders for windshield shops.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

KakerMix posted:

Does Washington use salt on their roads? Colorado doesn't, right? I've seen a ton of old cars that are rust free in Colorado, lots of old SUVs and AMC Eagles especially.
CO uses a combination of sand and magnesium chloride which is supposedly less rusty but it absolutely destroys alloy wheels. On the other hand, they only use it about 10 times a year in the metro area. As long as you have a winter beater your vintage car will not rust here.

Cellular Suicide posted:

Yeah, married with two kids. Both are young enough to not be in school or deeply rooted in friends, sports groups etc. But our support network is here and we make enough to be comfortable while we would probably giving up some quality of life by moving. I think I’m leaning towards the safe and boring choice of staying, which makes me feel guilty for even getting the offer. Then I’m going nuts over whether to tell my current employer about the offer as leverage for a raise or just keep it to myself.
I know it's in favor of the boring choice but I can honestly say moving away from your support network really sucks hard. I did build a new one in the new place but I miss the hell out of my family and old friends. I waste all my vacation time every year just to see them. The funny part is that my friends here don't need help with their cars, that's why we're friends. My friends back home need me more in that area and I'm not there to help, which makes me sad.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cellular Suicide posted:

California being too California is probably the biggest drawback right now. It would either be close to Palo Alto or south of Sacramento, leaning towards Sacramento for at least some possibility of owning a home after we move. We have a house in a fairly populated suburb here, so population density in a Sacramento suburb would be about the same. What the hell are people thinking with property values in the bay area, it's unbelievable.

We've also had a crazy amount of snow this year and frigid temps. I would miss the change of seasons but flying from -12F to 68F was pretty encouraging.

Does south of Sacramento mean elk grove or stockton?

Elk Grove is reasonably affordable, but there is a good reason for it, it sucks. The parts of Sacramento worth living in are closer in and are expensive, but not like bay area expensive. If you want more infor let me know. I really like Sacramento, but the suburbs are a cancer, even more so than most cities suburbs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We just met Rachel Maddow.

Or a random lesbian.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

We just met Rachel Maddow.

Or a random lesbian.

Great post

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

nm posted:

Does south of Sacramento mean elk grove or stockton?

Elk Grove is reasonably affordable, but there is a good reason for it, it sucks. The parts of Sacramento worth living in are closer in and are expensive, but not like bay area expensive. If you want more infor let me know. I really like Sacramento, but the suburbs are a cancer, even more so than most cities suburbs.

It is Elk Grove, I appreciate your insight. We're in south Minneapolis now and it sounded like a similar "don't go looking for a fight after dark, but it's a generally safe area" - a few of the people I've talked to highly recommended checking it out in person before making a decision.

The resounding opinion is pretty much in line with what I'm feeling - dream job is great, but happy life is another thing entirely. If I were single with no kids it would be an easy decision, but being settled with a family changes things. I tend to be int he mindset of working because I have to do something to make money to live my life rather than being defined by what my job is. We've had joking but half serious discussions about building a house on some rural land and escaping everything, and moving to a California suburb to work 60 hours a week (this job would almost undoubtedly have a worse work:life balance than I have now) is the wrong direction.

If it would just hurry up and be summer already I'm sure the idea would be even less tempting. This drat winter is dragging on too long.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a one armed man pool sharking here. It's amazing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My friend just scammed us a free cake!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cellular Suicide posted:

It is Elk Grove, I appreciate your insight. We're in south Minneapolis now and it sounded like a similar "don't go looking for a fight after dark, but it's a generally safe area" - a few of the people I've talked to highly recommended checking it out in person before making a decision.

The resounding opinion is pretty much in line with what I'm feeling - dream job is great, but happy life is another thing entirely. If I were single with no kids it would be an easy decision, but being settled with a family changes things. I tend to be int he mindset of working because I have to do something to make money to live my life rather than being defined by what my job is. We've had joking but half serious discussions about building a house on some rural land and escaping everything, and moving to a California suburb to work 60 hours a week (this job would almost undoubtedly have a worse work:life balance than I have now) is the wrong direction.

If it would just hurry up and be summer already I'm sure the idea would be even less tempting. This drat winter is dragging on too long.

The reason not to live in elk grove isn't safety, its because its soul crushing. Basically hope you like chain restaurants, lovely construction, and never talking to your neighbors. There is one decent dumpling place.
Sacramento is slightly more expensive than Minneapolis-St Paul proper (I lived in Minneapolis for like 8 years).
If you have kids somewhere like South Land Park, Hollywood Park, and Tahoe Park are reasonablish. Even very select parts of greenhaven can be decent. If you're making $$$, Land Park, Curtis Park, and East Sac are really nice. Poverty Ridge in Midtown has some sweet Victorian mansions if you wanna drop millions, but otherwise, midtown can be tough for kids unless you're really cool. Any commutes from sacramento to elk grove are nothing because it is a total reverse commute. If it is apple, it is unfortunately not near light rail, but it is right on I-5. If you must live in elk grove, appl is right next to laguna which is generally thought of as a somewhat better part of elk grove.

edit: if you want to live in the country, you can go the opposite direction and just gently caress off to Lodi, Galt, the delta, or surroundings. Elk grove is literally the south end of Sacramento, so even a few miles south and it is pretty rural. Do some research into school districts as I don't know them very well. The Elk Grove system seems to get mixed reviews and has some racism issues, which is fun.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 18, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

and never talking to your neighbors.

Sign me the gently caress up to a place like that. Even better if I never hear them talk at any time.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Any audio geeks in this thread, describe "muddy" to me, go on. Let's hear it. You're talking to someone with 1970's Kenwoods and a whole shitload of independent, Pioneer, and Sansui gear in the livingroom. Studio monitors and Sennheiser cans in the bedroom. Explain "muddy" to me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cellular Suicide posted:

I have to decide between staying in the midwest at my comfortable, safe job or accepting an offer to move to California for a dream job. On paper it seems like a pretty clear case to chase the dream, but giving up the chance to raise my kids in the relative calm and keep my current job security is tearing me apart inside.

I'm giving serious thought to moving to Austin. Yeah, partly because I now have a GF there (whom I've known since we were 15, and previously dated before when we were 18), but also because I've wanted to move there for a long time. (she's visiting now, but her sleep schedule is the opposite of mine, so she's asleep, while I'm waiting for the sweet embrace of benadryl to knock me out).

I have zero job security, but can transfer all 3 1099 jobs down there. I have somewhat of a safety net (several friends there that used to live here, plus an aunt and uncle), but I also have a cat that doesn't play well with other cats (she has 2 much younger cats that are pretty full of energy, I have an 8 year old cat that's content to be fat and lay around) and she's moving to an income-capped complex (which is fine with me, i've lived in them before... probably be an upgrade over where I live now, and my AGI is $7k for 2017 anyway... gross was several times higher of course, but yay deductions).

I have my mother and stepdad as a bit of a safety net here, but they're also incredibly needy (as in "the monitor is showing "check signal cable", it's important you come by ASAP to fix this, it's affecting production!!11!!1! HIGHEST PRIORITY TICKET" type of stuff)". When I mentioned I was considering moving, mom said "oh good, I've always wanted to live there." NO, YOU ARE NOT FOLLOWING ME. DO NOT MAKE ME MOVE TO CANADA.

The Locator posted:

I was gonna learn to swim in Arizona bay, but there's millions of dumbfounded dipshits.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dannywilson posted:

Any audio geeks in this thread, describe "muddy" to me, go on. Let's hear it. You're talking to someone with 1970's Kenwoods and a whole shitload of independent, Pioneer, and Sansui gear in the livingroom. Studio monitors and Sennheiser cans in the bedroom. Explain "muddy" to me.

The descriptor of muddy is not being able to differentiate particular tones very well, usually bass/lower mids range. 99% of the time this can easily be fixed by simply moving your speakers out of the corner or away from walls as boundaries reinforce sound, lower frequencies in particular.

If you have EQ available, cut those frequencies and you're good to go.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Sign me the gently caress up to a place like that. Even better if I never hear them talk at any time.

Agreed

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Cellular Suicide posted:

Agreed, winter in the midwest always makes me think about moving because it lasts so goddamn long.

The safety net you've got is pretty nice especially with kids. We've got no family within 2 hours drive and that sucks with a kid. Neither of us are from here and while we've made some friends in the last 5 years or so, none of them are as close as our friends from college, etc.

Rhyno posted:

My friend just scammed us a free cake!

Cool guy posting on SA while out in public with friends. If you ever thought you weren't a millennial, well :allears:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I was gonna learn to swim in Arizona bay, but there's millions of dumbfounded dipshits.

Maynard is just waiting for his winery to become beachfront property.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dannywilson posted:

I'm not a hardcore audiophile, but my best description would be a sound similar to when speakers are wired out of phase (reversed connections). Crispness is gone through throughout, but especially noticeable on highs and lows.

Powershift posted:

Sorry, windshield SHOPS, works wonders for windshield shops.
It's literally a miracle if I get through a winter/spring without a cracked windshield. So far I'm sporting 2 nice cracks on my work truck which had a new windshield installed in the fall.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

Poverty Ridge in Midtown has some sweet Victorian mansions if you wanna drop millions,

Ain't that some contradictory poo poo :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The descriptor of muddy is not being able to differentiate particular tones very well, usually bass/lower mids range. 99% of the time this can easily be fixed by simply moving your speakers out of the corner or away from walls as boundaries reinforce sound, lower frequencies in particular.

If you have EQ available, cut those frequencies and you're good to go.

Speaker location is huge. When I was setting up my system I used white noise and a mic with an analyser and it was amazing the difference that moving the subs a few inches away from the wall made in the bass curve. I ended up with one sub in the front and one in the back on opposite 'corners' to get the flattest response possible and I've been pretty happy with it. The rear surrounds are about 18" off the wall and the subs point into the room, are at least 8" off the closest wall. Reversing them to fire into the wall makes a huge change.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

When I was in middle and high school, I spent every penny of my hard earned lawn care money on a decent home theatre system (state of the art for a 15yo), and later on car audio.

Now I could buy whatever fancy rear end poo poo I want and I couldn't care any less. I have a nearly ten year old 47" LCD and a :mediocre: sound bar with wireless sub and I can't make myself care enough to upgrade until they fail.

I'm not knocking you guys, only noting how my interests have changed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

angryrobots posted:

When I was in middle and high school, I spent every penny of my hard earned lawn care money on a decent home theatre system (state of the art for a 15yo), and later on car audio.

Now I could buy whatever fancy rear end poo poo I want and I couldn't care any less. I have a nearly ten year old 47" LCD and a :mediocre: sound bar with wireless sub and I can't make myself care enough to upgrade until they fail.

I'm not knocking you guys, only noting how my interests have changed.

Same thing with me and audio... and cars too, for that matter. 10 years ago I had a Subaru Forester XT that was fully modified to STi+ spec, a Jetta that had a full APR setup, and two turbo Miatas, one fully built.

Now I have three automotive cockroaches (Escalade, Juke, Avalon) and I'm perfectly fine with it... for now.

On the flip side, I now have over a dozen high-end or just plain weird bicycles and that scratches my hobby itch... for now.

That said, I was all about buying the gently caress out of this: https://youngstown.craigslist.org/cto/d/supercharged-crown-victoria/6494683203.html yesterday, until I found out it was a scam of some sort.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

slothrop posted:

little late for stereo chat but I have a pretty sweet custom set up courtesy of a friend who's really into building audio gear. The industrial design isn't as cool as some of that B&O stuff (I'm working on that for version 2.0) but I think it has a nice aesthetic. The speakers are a great design with some Peerless drivers, I'll probably upgrade to some ribbon tweeters at some point.

This is neat. Did we already talk about the new Beocrate?
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/16/17019420/bang-olufsen-smart-speakers-raspberry-pi
I think it's a pretty neat thing, and might be exactly what I want to do with my s80.2 and MC120.2's. They're good speakers, but I have better speakers already so they don't get played much. I think they would be better used as smart home speakers, and I'll just place each one in a different room with a beocrate installed. Ideally I'd like to be able to tie them into my Google home and also be able to use them as intercoms between rooms. I still don't know why google doesn't have an intercom feature built into the google home.

Dannywilson posted:

It's basically just describing a form of distortion. I think Olympic Mathlete described it pretty good.
What's really fun is when you're in the studio and someone has no idea what 'muddy' actually sounds like. So you record them, play it back at reference volume and they think it's great.
But then you clean up the track or even just your Bus mix, introduce a little stereo track separation, play it back again and watch their jaw hit the floor. You know your mix is good when the guy that was banging his head to the track listens to it again, but this time he can't move, breathe, or blink. Only stares into the abyss with a terrified look on his face.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 18, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Oh yeah and I added a new vehicle to the stable:

:whatup:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh yeah and I added a new vehicle to the stable:

:whatup:

Looks like you could strap a Briggs in that lower basket, just sayin'

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

That said, I was all about buying the gently caress out of this: https://youngstown.craigslist.org/cto/d/supercharged-crown-victoria/6494683203.html yesterday, until I found out it was a scam of some sort.

:stare: I need something like this in my life

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the only floor shift Panthers were not P71s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wooosh.

Hangover.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Wooosh.

Hangover.

Nooooo :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had a blast. I'm glad you guys encouraged me to go because I almost called it off and stayed home. Our last stop was my favorite bar and as we were walking in one of my groomsmen ran into a group who were ending their night and they had half of a sheet cake and they gave it to us! Free cake! Pretty fun bonus to the night.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

I thought the only floor shift Panthers were not P71s

Correct, but easy to convert with Marauder or CV LS Sport console and shifter. Don’t even need to change seats since the P71 has buckets already.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cage posted:

I have it, but I am not good.

Same. Are we talking consoles or PC? I have it for both but I haven’t actually tried to play PUBG on my PC (actually a 27”iMac booted to Windows). Not sure that the video card is up to it, since it’s a 2012 or so.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Without going to far back to audio chat, anyone have any recommendations for a decent Bluetooth speaker setup? Bonus points for USB/SD card input option? Want something for the upstairs living room (main stereo downstairs) but sounds semi decent if we have company and some background tunes going or something.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for but I've had good experiences with the Dayton stuff. This allows you to turn any of your old speakers (or a pair you pick up from goodwill/garage sale) into a bluetooth setup. If you're looking for portability it's not the way to go, but will sound miles better than most of the bluetooth options.

http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/home-audio-video/audio-amplifiers/multi-zone/wf40a-multi-room-wi-fi-2x20w-amplifier-with-ir-remote.html

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I just posted in the ask tell recommend a car thread. I see mostly names I recognize from here or CA, but any idiots post in that thread a lot I should avoid?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

TheFonz posted:

I just posted in the ask tell recommend a car thread. I see mostly names I recognize from here or CA, but any idiots post in that thread a lot I should avoid?

Did Michael Scott re-reg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

nm posted:

Did Michael Scott re-reg?

:lol: that was the one I could think of.

• Locked thread