Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Nebalebadingdong posted:

painting requirements are idiotic

yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Nebalebadingdong posted:

while i dont know why someone who doesnt enjoy painting would play a game like 40k (i guess some people enjoy the assembly part?), i respect their right to spend poo poo loads of money to play a space barbie tournament and painting requirements are idiotic

There's a dude at my FLGS who plays a dozen different wargames and never paints anything because he doesn't think he's good and doesn't want to invest the time. He just really likes rolling dice and moving minis on the tabletop. OTOH I paint stuff and basically never play. I think it's good the hobby encompasses both of our preferences. I think painting requirements are fine for narrative events where people want more immersion, but painting reqs for serious competitive events are dumb.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

mango sentinel posted:

There's a dude at my FLGS who plays a dozen different wargames and never paints anything because he doesn't think he's good and doesn't want to invest the time. He just really likes rolling dice and moving minis on the tabletop. OTOH I paint stuff and basically never play. I think it's good the hobby encompasses both of our preferences. I think painting requirements are fine for narrative events where people want more immersion, but painting reqs for serious competitive events are dumb.

I think you're missing a golden opportunity for a tag team here.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

If you don't mind whoring out your services and can paint quickly those guys can be a decent income source. No, they won't pay huge commission prices, but they'll usually accept barely low tabletop quality. Think Heroclix paintjobs.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Floppychop posted:

If you don't mind whoring out your services and can paint quickly those guys can be a decent income source. No, they won't pay huge commission prices, but they'll usually accept barely low tabletop quality. Think Heroclix paintjobs.

I just can't get myself to work for less than minimum wage in my free time to paint models I usually don't like.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Going out in public with unpainted miniatures is indecent exposure.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Yeah my time is too valuable to spend it painting models for other people, and that guy doesn't commission either. Dude would rather spend money on more armies and just wants to actually play games.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

That's weird. I'm neither playing or painting currently, just thinking about it a lot.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No one's got time to do anything

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

quote:

to be fair, you have to have a very good eye-hand coordination to paint rick and morty. The colour transitions are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of colour theory, most of the techniqes will go over a typical painter's head. There's also pickle ricks rough texture, which is deffinently sculpted into his cast - his arms for instance draw heavily form the early rouge trader style. The painters that understand this stuff, they have the skills to truly appreciate the art of this mould, to realise that it isn't just pretty - it says something about SCULPTING. As a consequence, most of the people that dislike this sculpt are WARMACHINE PLAYERS - of course they wouldn't appreciate the lack of pauldrons, which itself is a reffrence to necromunda. I'm smirking right now just imagining how one of those simplentons is scratching his head trying to figure out how to paint this sculpt, with its briliance standing in fron of him.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
HEY LOOK AT ME I'M CALIBAN GREEEEN

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
It's like the worst of two fandoms at the same time.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Bucnasti posted:

It's like the two worst fandoms at the same time.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Much like Parks & Rec, I tried watching Rick and Morty and found it bad and couldn't watch any more, didn't understand what people were raving about.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Pickle Rick was a mediocre episode imo and I don't know why people liked it so much. That rewritten copypasta was p good.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
It was crazy and violent. Most RnM fans don't actually get the show. Hence the sechane sauce riots. Even though it was obvious to anyone with a brain it was never going to be mentioned again.

Not a terrible model though.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bucnasti posted:

It's like the worst of two fandoms at the same time.
I don't get the MLP reference.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Pierzak posted:

I don't get the MLP reference.

Nor do I see Sonic anywhere.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
dont start this poo poo

R&M is a good show with a terrible fanbase

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Screaming Idiot posted:

Nor do I see Sonic anywhere.

Perhaps I should of said "the worst parts of two bad fandoms" I don't think RnM or Hams are the very worst fans out there, just close to it.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Moola posted:

dont start this poo poo

R&M is a good show with a terrible fanbase

The "quality of show" to "utter wretchedness of fans" ratio of Rick and Morty has absolutely nothing on Invader Zim.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Nah Invader Zim had exactly the sort of fans it deserved

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Screaming Idiot posted:

Nah Invader Zim had exactly the sort of fans it deserved

Nothing deserves early 2000s randumb

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Zim came out at the same time as Adult Swim was taking off and we were regularly getting new Venture Brothers and South Park was still consistently knocking it out of the park. I never saw the appeal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's why you didnt rake in all those Hot Topic dollars.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
killallnerds.exe

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
What a lovely paintjob of the malifaux model, Killjoy.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

killallnerds.exe

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wazzu posted:

What a lovely paintjob of the malifaux model, Killjoy.

Lives up to his name. If only he painted his head read, could have called him Beetrooter. :australia:

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Vostroyan Ogryns

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

"Now Which if you xenos ordered an explosve suppository?"

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

this is the FW model

It also belongs here. it's so ugly.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Frobbe posted:

What am I looking at here? Is this all cast with intended surrounding slip? Is this forge world or is this a recast? Just... :wtc:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It's a terrain piece, it's a crashed aquila lander. Thats piles of earth and rubble around the broken pieces.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Big Ink posted:

What am I looking at here? Is this all cast with intended surrounding slip? Is this forge world or is this a recast? Just... :wtc:
It was terrain in the 4th edition starter set. It's a crashed version and some weirdo trimmed away all the dirt and reassembled it.

I think the real aquila lander looks fine. :colbert:

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
If that's the case I'm not sure if i should be impressed or doubly disgusted.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

TTerrible posted:

It's a terrain piece, it's a crashed aquila lander. Thats piles of earth and rubble around the broken pieces.

It's amazing seeing someone put in that many hours of work to avoid paying more. And despite getting an.....okay result, he then goes MLP on it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Frobbe posted:

this is the FW model

why are all imperial aircrafts ugly looking bricks?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Because aerodynamics is heresy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

Much like Parks & Rec, I tried watching Rick and Morty and found it bad and couldn't watch any more, didn't understand what people were raving about.

They're both good shows, but, like any other comedy, if you're not into the style of humor, you're not going to enjoy either.

Groetgaffel posted:

Because aerodynamics is heresy.
Don't need them in space. At least, that's the excuse, anyway.