Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you kill the Traitor Lord before finishing Cloth's quest she will spend the rest of the game sleeping in Dirtmouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh she seemed happy enough, that's for sure. But I felt lovely because we were fighting side by side, then I jumped to the side to heal for a second which is when the thing happened, so I felt guilty until I discovered there is no way around that apart from what Internet Kraken said.

Discendo Vox posted:

If you hadn't talked to her, she'd still be alive.

:negative:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
The thing about Cloth is that her dying is her good end. If she doesn't die, she'll end up leaving in order to try to get brave enough to die a warrior's death. Which, depending on your interpretation, means she eventually loses her mind and get reduced to a feral bug.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Finally took the plunge into Deepnest and cleared it out, boy is that place creepy and unforgiving. Midwife :gonk:

Also am I the only one who was disappointed that Herrah wasn't a boss fight? I'm guessing that the rest of them are like that (she was the first Dreamer I took down), and there's probably story justification for it, but I was all pysched up for a battle that never came.

Feels like I'm getting pretty close to the end, got two empty spots on my Charms list, two Dreamers to take down, and the Colosseum. I guess I have some dream fights to do too (warriors and re-fights alike)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Also am I the only one who was disappointed that Herrah wasn't a boss fight? I'm guessing that the rest of them are like that (she was the first Dreamer I took down), and there's probably story justification for it, but I was all pysched up for a battle that never came.

The other two dreamers both have boss fights immediately preceding them but yeah, you don't actually fight the dreamers. I get why they did it narratively, but I too, was dissapointed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh well then I have something to look forward to. But I think I know what one of those fights will be and I'm super not looking forward to it.

Also, is there an upgraded version of the upward magic attack?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Oh well then I have something to look forward to. But I think I know what one of those fights will be and I'm super not looking forward to it.

Yep.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Iirc the dreamers were originally planned as boss fights, apparently, but this rapidly changed during development. It's possible that approximations of those fights were moved into other bosses.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Hmmm...I have no idea where that could be, if it's not in the one little part of the map that I have yet to visit. Time to explore!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

C-Euro posted:

There's also a significant chance you've already been in the room where you get it. Each of these spoilers has increasing detail, don't mouse over them if you don't want it answered.

Ancient Basin

The Abyss

The room in the bottomleft of the Abyss

Use your upward spell while standing on the box

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Hmmm...I have no idea where that could be, if it's not in the one little part of the map that I have yet to visit. Time to explore!

General location spoiler: It's at the very bottom of the map; it's behind a gate you may not be able to open yet.
Much more detailed instructions spoiler: After fighting the boss of the Kingdom's Edge, you'll be able to go into The Abyss, underneath the Ancient Basin. It's in a creepy room at the bottom left, do the ability in that room and you get the upgrade.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I beat the game at 92%, went to do the flower quest, hosed up in the last room, and immediately uninstalled. Great game 9/10, will likely play again when the anger fades.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sirtommygunn posted:

I beat the game at 92%, went to do the flower quest, hosed up in the last room, and immediately uninstalled. Great game 9/10, will likely play again when the anger fades.

If you take the road through the shroom forest the end stretch is the only really dangerous part
but I feel your pain

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Also: a whole bunch of enemies on the flower-path don't respawn, so as long as you don't rest between attempts / kill them all out before hand it's really easy except for like one tricky jump right at the end.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just finished the flower quest, and getting to that final little stretch of thorns.... :gonk:

However I also gave the Elderbug a pretty flower too :3:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I completed the flower quest on the first try and I'm pretty sure I'm never doing that again :v:

Jerusalem posted:

However I also gave the Elderbug a pretty flower too :3:
Oh man, you can give it to the Elderbug? :kimchi: I mean.. it feels like a really awful thing to do to the Mourner.... but Elderbug!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Mourner will keep giving you a new one if you gently caress up (it gets kind of funny because she just becomes resigned to you loving up) so you can give him one. He's all excited and grateful because he thought nobody really cared about him hanging out greeting people as they came through the town :3:

He even changes his bench dialogue to ask you to sit around so the two of you can admire his pretty flower :)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

wait wait wait

flower quest?????

how do i initiate this

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Explore the right side of the caves beneath the Resting Grounds

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Augus posted:

If you take the road through the shroom forest the end stretch is the only really dangerous part
but I feel your pain

That's the path I took, and part of why I was so mad, I carefully planned out my route & build and even did a practice run first :negative:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

sirtommygunn posted:

That's the path I took, and part of why I was so mad, I carefully planned out my route & build and even did a practice run first :negative:

Be sure to practice that last room specifically until you have your inputs perfectly set and can do it consistently. If you DID do that and still got spiked, well... same thing happened to me. Best laid plans. :v:

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The ultimate best tip I can give anyone doing the flower quest is: Start at the destination working backwards towards the starting point and kill everything on the way. At no point should you ever sit at a bench. Now when you start the quest all the harder enemies should be gone and as long as you don't sit on any benches they won't respawn (riding the stag beetle won't reset them either incase you fail and would like to quickly go back). By doing this it only took me two tries.

Tombot fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 18, 2018

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Still wanna see someone do The Flower Challenge, where they beeline Grey Mourner ASAP and beat The Radience with the flower still intact in their inventory.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jerusalem posted:

The Mourner will keep giving you a new one if you gently caress up (it gets kind of funny because she just becomes resigned to you loving up) so you can give him one. He's all excited and grateful because he thought nobody really cared about him hanging out greeting people as they came through the town :3:

He even changes his bench dialogue to ask you to sit around so the two of you can admire his pretty flower :)

The Elderbug scene with the flower is genuinely touching. I feel obligated to do it when I play the game now even though it doesn't give you any reward.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tombot posted:

(riding the stag beetle won't reset the either incase you fail and would like to quickly go back).

:stare:

Oh my God why didn't I think of that.... :cripes:

Internet Kraken posted:

it doesn't give you any reward.

The reward is that he is happy :)

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
I always get a laugh out of this video re: flower quest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M797yfB06QA

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Last time I did the flower quest I made it all the way to the grave and got really confused because it wasn't working. I was sure I hadn't been hit.

Well I hadn't been hit, but I had forgotten to talk to the Grey Mourner and pick up a new flower after losing the last one :cripes:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I found the Mourner before the Gardens, so I had no idea where she wanted me to go, I checked the wiki, saw the Elderbug referenced and gave it to him. No regrets.

Also I ended up banishing the Dark Carnival. Suppose I missed out on some epic boss fight, but I enjoy the jaunty tone Dirtmouth has taken on. :3:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Yup. I was rage posting a few weeks ago over that flower quest myself.

It's not impossible and choking on the last jump seems fairly common despite practicing. Watching that video I'm reminded that a) the Steam forums are full of a vocal minority of "quest was easy, nub. git gud." scrotums that troll everyone asking for help, and that b) this quest crosses the line from challenging into masochistic tendencies need only apply.

Someday I'll play again and deliver that sweet fragrance to the elder bug. Chap looks like someone forgotten by their grandchildren :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just completed White Palace.

That... was not fun.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I just completed White Palace.

That... was not fun.

I take it you didn't find the entrance to the Path of Pain :unsmigghh:

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I never minded the platforming in the White Palace - hiveblood and grubsong and a little patience made it quite doable - but like a lot of people I thought the setting was jarring in a way that was unlike the rest of the game. I don't know too many palaces decorated with a circular saw motif.

As for Path of Pain, I was quite happy to just youtube it. I really disliked downward slash pogoing as a movement mechanic, and it looked like it was 500% that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The White Palace is actually extremely fun.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

The White Palace was super great and made me wish the game overall had more intricate platforming sequences

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

I take it you didn't find the entrance to the Path of Pain :unsmigghh:

Hmm, let's look that up. Oh, that looks annoying but doable, maybe I'll go ba-
gets to the sawblade pogo-sticking sections
:stonk:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'd pay money for a Path of Pain 2 dlc

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I'd pay money for a Path of Pain 2 dlc

It is called Super Meat Boy and it's on steam and you can even buy it!!!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Please no I hear the sawblades in my sleep now

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Please no I hear the sawblades in my sleep now
I extracted the music from that place (well, technically from climbing the abyss) from the game because it's so incredible and not on the soundtrack for some bizarre reason, but even listening to it without the sawblades I can still hear them :ghost:

Arrhythmia posted:

It is called Super Meat Boy and it's on steam and you can even buy it!!!
movement feels way better in Hollow Knight tho'

also pogo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Hmm, let's look that up. Oh, that looks annoying but doable, maybe I'll go ba-
gets to the sawblade pogo-sticking sections
:stonk:

Thing is, if you just got to the pogo sections, you're still missing out on the best bit. The single very final room took about half of all the time I spend on PoP (and no, I didn't die to... those things).