Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sitting in that chair with the window cockeyed like that would bug the gently caress out of my OCD self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I checked out a couple of local open houses today. One house was advertised as having 1.5 baths. It took me a bit to find the half bath, because it was masquerading as a closet.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I checked out a couple of local open houses today. One house was advertised as having 1.5 baths. It took me a bit to find the half bath, because it was masquerading as a closet.

Bit of a tall bidet.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Looks perfectly reasonable to me, just a little WC. How much more space do you need to take a quick piss?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Baronjutter posted:

Looks perfectly reasonable to me, just a little WC. How much more space do you need to take a quick piss?

Yeah but what's the thing on the right for?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GotLag posted:

Yeah but what's the thing on the right for?

Maybe my sense of scale is off but either the sink is a bit high or the toilet is like small child sized?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

This is America boyo, American's would barely have room to take their dick out in that room :911:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

tangy yet delightful posted:

This is America boyo, American's would barely have room to take their dick out in that room :911:

I rented a place in downtown Madison, WI that was a converted Victorian. The bathroom door was so narrow I had to enter at an angle because the door frame would hit my shoulders.

What a dump.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

tangy yet delightful posted:

This is America boyo, American's would barely have room to find their dick in that room :911:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Baronjutter posted:

My parents put a bathroom in a closet when they went to sell their house in Mankato, MN. When they bought it, a second bathroom wasn't a big deal but, by the time they sold it, it was. It was a shotgun house built in the 1860's with editions put on in the 1880's and then again in the 1980's. Weird house, but pleasant. It definitely needed another pisser.

I didn't think it would work, but, by God, it did. As small as that picture looks, it's bigger in real life. Exactly the same layout. If you have 24", you'll fit just fine and you can have a pleasant poo poo in a bathroom that isn't just off the kitchen.

Now, if I only had pictures of the late 1800's engineering of the walls. That cost them about $24k to repair. The previous owner had hidden the poor engineering that caused wall on the front of the house to fail. Siding covers all. It was built with two structural brick walls with a void in between. Held together with wood ties that had failed over the 150 years. When they stripped the siding, there was a 6" crack that had developed. The whole front of the house was actively trying to fall off.

3 season porches with no footings = bad for brick construction when tied in at the top.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

Not Crappy Construction but probably inspired by crappy construction

omg they have a matching trashcan :3:

why

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Youth Decay posted:

omg they have a matching trashcan :3:

Why go to all this effort for so little? If you're going to do this go whole hog, gently caress everything up to the point people get nauseous just looking at it.

Our downstairs loo has like 4 feet plus of space between the sink and toilet, we're seriously considering moving the toilet closer, walking up the space behind and accessing it as a cupboard from the corridor, it'd be a great place to store ironing board, vacuum, mops etc, we only need 18" -24" of space.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The real tragedy is they're too far apart for the Salmonella Special.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

cakesmith handyman posted:

Why go to all this effort for so little? If you're going to do this go whole hog, gently caress everything up to the point people get nauseous just looking at it.

I've seen a documentary about this.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

cakesmith handyman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAkw8p5oszI

Really doesn't seem to come out in photos.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 18, 2018

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe my sense of scale is off but either the sink is a bit high or the toilet is like small child sized?

I like shorter toilets. I poo poo better in them, than taller ones.

mostlygray posted:

My parents put a bathroom in a closet when they went to sell their house in Mankato, MN. When they bought it, a second bathroom wasn't a big deal but, by the time they sold it, it was. It was a shotgun house built in the 1860's with editions put on in the 1880's and then again in the 1980's. Weird house, but pleasant. It definitely needed another pisser.

Its possible that Charles Ingalls himself took a poo poo at that house.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Youth Decay posted:

This is what happens when you grow your addition from a crystal.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Hmm, I still like cube houses more.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

They GOTTA be awful to live in, right? Humans fit well enough in downward pyramids but very badly in upright ones.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What on earth do these look like on the inside?

e: "interesting and not actually as bad as you'd think" seems to be the answer I'd go for. But also "a pain in the rear end to fit furniture in."

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 19, 2018

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Looks like you can stay in one!
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/817858

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I have too much anxiety about my kids opening the windows or bashing them with hammers.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I hates it. Wasted space AND low ceilings.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
There's a reason there haven't been more built. Livable space is a lot less than you want it to be.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'd fall through those windows so fuckin fast

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I saw a picture of a show cube house and it very conspiciously has furniture in front of every window.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Cross posting this from the OSHA thread:

I'm not an electrician, so I'm trying to figure out how this happened. It seems like a two-fold problem...the hot for the outlet/switch has shorted to the box, but also additionally the box can't actually be correctly grounded since it took a metal sheet pan touching the screw and the sink to ground itself and short out.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Okay, maybe I'm just dumb here, but question.

All of my outside outlets on the house are on one circuit. Okay, fine. Makes sense. But that WHOLE circuit is downstream from the GFCI in my garage. Around Christmas, I couldn't figure out why in the gently caress all the outside outlets ceased to function. Yesterday I got the bright idea to check that GFCI, thinking there was no way it could in any way be related. But yep...tripped. Reset and now all the outside outlets are working again.

Wouldn't it make most sense to have the GFCI downstream of everything else rather than the first outlet on a circuit?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Then the GFCI wouldn't be protecting anything. It can only detect trips that are downstream from it, as I understand it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea, at that point, you might as well have a GFCI breaker. Is that the only GFCI outlet, and all your other outside outlets are regular? If so, it looks like they're using that one garage GFCI to provide protection for all outlets. I think it would be better to have them all individually be GFCI, but I'm not an electrician, so not sure what is code.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, at that point, you might as well have a GFCI breaker. Is that the only GFCI outlet, and all your other outside outlets are regular? If so, it looks like they're using that one garage GFCI to provide protection for all outlets. I think it would be better to have them all individually be GFCI, but I'm not an electrician, so not sure what is code.
Common wisdom is that daisy chaining GFCI outlets together can lead to more frequent nuisance tripping. It definitely did for me.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

D34THROW posted:

All of my outside outlets on the house are on one circuit. Okay, fine. Makes sense. But that WHOLE circuit is downstream from the GFCI in my garage. Around Christmas, I couldn't figure out why in the gently caress all the outside outlets ceased to function. Yesterday I got the bright idea to check that GFCI, thinking there was no way it could in any way be related. But yep...tripped. Reset and now all the outside outlets are working again.

Wouldn't it make most sense to have the GFCI downstream of everything else rather than the first outlet on a circuit?

We have our garage and kitchen and bath outlets all on one GFCI and the first outlet in the series is gfci for ours. Our house was built in 1979 and our home inspector said that wasn't an unusual way to do things.

edit: I think we've tripped ours one time in 9 years.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Having had mine rewired recently, the sparky put every circuit on an RCD breaker as a matter of course, including the lights. Previously there was just one, running the electric shower.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

None of the other exterior outlets are GFCI. I have no idea what tripped this one except maybe if something knocked against the test button? I'm surprised that's not uncommon, it just seems like a weird way to do things.

Of course, in my mother-in-law's old house, the lone GFCI was in the bathroom and tripping that knocked out her bedroom and the living room. :downsgun:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

Cross posting this from the OSHA thread:

I'm not an electrician, so I'm trying to figure out how this happened. It seems like a two-fold problem...the hot for the outlet/switch has shorted to the box, but also additionally the box can't actually be correctly grounded since it took a metal sheet pan touching the screw and the sink to ground itself and short out.

You assume right. It's probably a plastic box.

D34THROW posted:

Both garage and outdoor outlets must be GFCI protected. In your case the GFCI there protects all the others down the branch.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I think it would be better to have them all individually be GFCI, but I'm not an electrician, so not sure what is code.

That could be done, you'd just have to remove the wires from that garage GFCI's Load terminals and attach them to the wires that are attached to its Line terminals. Add pigtails as necessary. The next step is to find the next box on the circuit. Once you do, figure out which hot in that box is the source hot. Now you can install at least one more GFCI there and put the rest on another GFCI, or put a GFCI at each box. If you put one at each box, the pro is a short walk if you trip the GFCI, the con is cost. GFCIs are $20ish apiece, plus you'll probably need to upgrade to new covers since the outlet is a different shape, not to mention the requirement for in-use covers now.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My condo has the outside outlet, and the two bathroom outlets downstream of one of the basement GFCI outlets. The other basement outlet is for the washer and located next to the utility sink but is not GFCI and not downstream of the GFCI outlet.

D34THROW posted:

None of the other exterior outlets are GFCI. I have no idea what tripped this one except maybe if something knocked against the test button? I'm surprised that's not uncommon, it just seems like a weird way to do things.

Of course, in my mother-in-law's old house, the lone GFCI was in the bathroom and tripping that knocked out her bedroom and the living room. :downsgun:

If the outlets are daisy chained, the GFCI can detect fault on the other outlets. It's cheaper than using GFCI outlets for each.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Guy Axlerod posted:

My condo has the outside outlet, and the two bathroom outlets downstream of one of the basement GFCI outlets. The other basement outlet is for the washer and located next to the utility sink but is not GFCI and not downstream of the GFCI outlet.

If the outlets are daisy chained, the GFCI can detect fault on the other outlets. It's cheaper than using GFCI outlets for each.

...you know, come to think of it, we DID get some pretty nasty rain with Irma and early December was the first I attempted to plug anything in outside since before that. If driving rain got under the outlet cover, it all makes a lot more sense. Thanks, goons!

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I had to explain to my father that the porch outlet wasn't working because the GFCI in his bathroom was tripped and he went on one of those "we didn't have these safety features and turned out fine" rants. Nuisance tripping indeed. His house was rewired almost 15 years ago. I never would have thought then to ask how they were doing the GFCI outlets.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

The Twinkie Czar posted:

I had to explain to my father that the porch outlet wasn't working because the GFCI in his bathroom was tripped and he went on one of those "we didn't have these safety features and turned out fine" rants. Nuisance tripping indeed. His house was rewired almost 15 years ago. I never would have thought then to ask how they were doing the GFCI outlets.

You can add more if that makes it more convenient, without needing to run new cable. You'll just have to unscrew them out of their boxes and swap some wires around.

D34THROW posted:

...you know, come to think of it, we DID get some pretty nasty rain with Irma and early December was the first I attempted to plug anything in outside since before that. If driving rain got under the outlet cover, it all makes a lot more sense. Thanks, goons!

How old is the cover? The foam might not make a good seal anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
All the outlets in my living room and dining room are daisy chained after the GFCI outside outlet next to my front door as I discovered one day.

I came home to my living room dark and none of the outlets in the living room on one wall going down into the dining room where working. After I checked the breakers I started pulling outlets out of the wall to check the wiring to make sure nothing was loose. An hour later and after having pulled all the outlets out to check them, I realized the water fountain I had plugged into the outlet outside wasn't working. Apparently the pump had failed and shorted somehow, thus tripping the GFCI. I had no idea all of those outlets where daisy chained off the GFCI...

Its a bit annoying.. as turning the hard power switch on my computer power supply on/off will sometimes trip the GFCI.