Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Gearhead posted:

I'm actually eyeing an X52 myself. A friend of mine who is BIG into sims is trying to talk me into an X56, but I'm not quite ready for that step yet.

For what it’s worth, I am not a huge fan of the X55 (I haven’t used a 56.) It’s hard to describe exactly what’s wrong with it, but it’s kind of a quality issue and the placement of certain things feels weird to me. It has more buttons, but I spend more time binding them and then forgetting what they do or accidentally shooting a heatsink because I bumped the wrong toggle. My buttons feel very “loose” and it feels more like a game controller than say a real flight control. YMMV and maybe the x56 has tightened up and I just got a crappy x55.

I think a little of this is buyers remorse for its price because it just feels kinda average for a high priced peripheral that I currently only use sparingly for Elite and nothing else. My x52 from forever ago felt much tighter, though the springs and throttle tension/tightness adjustment is nice and easy on the Rhino.

If your buddy is close enough to visit and play with his I would do that first. And again, I might be the outlier in not liking it.

Oh and the software is perpetually in my alt tab list even though it’s never running in an active window or has to. It seems really broken but the joystick works so I don’t touch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I play with an Xbox controller, and even though I really want a reason to buy a HOTAS, controller + keyboard works great

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The multi-key press bindings you can get away with on an Xbox controller are pretty remarkable.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Biggest thing for me about the X52 is I have no idea what I should be doing with all the slidy twisty bits that have no standard binds.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Biggest thing for me about the X52 is I have no idea what I should be doing with all the slidy twisty bits that have no standard binds.

Yeah, I am the same. Those are really more for more traditional flight sims.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I like a twisty bit for landing throttle. When I gear down over the pad I cut the main throttle and then use that to dial back and forth instead of having to use my reverse thrust key.

It’s only sometimes a problem when you forget to recenter it.

E: Also my other one is sensor spread/range which is only very occasionally useful, but if you’ve got an open binding, hey.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 17, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i successfully completed my road to riches and did NOT jump into a star and now i have 330 million spacebux

now to buy an anaconda and jump into a star with it

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
X52 would be perfect with even 2 extra buttons. As it is it doesn't look like the other hotases improve on it in any other way for Elite.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Cowcaster posted:

i successfully completed my road to riches and did NOT jump into a star and now i have 330 million spacebux

now to buy an anaconda and jump into a star with it

if ur not using this game to satisfy your fantasies of screaming into a stellar-scale active fusion reaction at nearly the speed of light I don't even know what to say to you

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tbh i’m a little disappointed in the payout, i guesstimated 585 planets at an average of about 500k a planet (660k for water/earthlikes, 400 for heavy metal with a predisposition for the latter) and honking in all the interim jumps would rack me up 290 mil and i only netted about 275.

it took me a week to pull off and it’s about a quarter of what i’d need to a-rank an anaconda and that frightens me

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
Another HOTAS option to look at is piecing together a setup from CH Products stuff. In comparison to every other HOTAS/Joystick on the market, the CH Products stuff looks like generic, ugly crap-rear end junk, but don't let their looks fool you. They look like that because the company's main business is making joysticks/controllers for industrial machinery. As a result, their gaming peripherals are basically indestructible and eternal. As an example, I started with an ancient CH Flight Stick I found buried under a pile of crap in a thrift store. I plugged into a Gameport-to-USB adapter, calibrated it, and it worked perfectly. Apparently the hard-core flight sim grognards use CH stuff for decades without having to replace a thing.

I'll admit that the CH software is a little old-school and feels like they've barely updated it since Windows 3.1, but it's rock solid, it's easy to bind anything to anything, and it has an "advanced scripting engine" thing that is so complex I haven't even tried to mess with it yet, but apparently it will do your taxes and debate Gamegate on Reddit with a single button press if you program it right.

If you don't mind me sperging out for a moment... :smuggo: My current Elite setup is a CH Throttle and CH Flight Stick on the left, a Combat Stick on the right, and (sometimes) a set of CH peddles on the floor (I use the Flight Stick for translational movement, with the buttons and thumbstick on it for menu navigation). The whole setup isn't the most attractive or flashy, but it feels rock solid.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

That sounded real cool and then I looked at the prices

For a hundred and twenty bucks that throttle drat well better last forever

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Cowcaster posted:

tbh i’m a little disappointed in the payout, i guesstimated 585 planets at an average of about 500k a planet (660k for water/earthlikes, 400 for heavy metal with a predisposition for the latter) and honking in all the interim jumps would rack me up 290 mil and i only netted about 275.

it took me a week to pull off and it’s about a quarter of what i’d need to a-rank an anaconda and that frightens me

I personally dislike using the big three unless it's really the best way to go about a thing. A python is cheaper, more maneuverable and can do anything you need in the bubble for missions and the like.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Rynoto posted:

I personally dislike using the big three unless it's really the best way to go about a thing. A python is cheaper, more maneuverable and can do anything you need in the bubble for missions and the like.

i’m considering getting a python instead of a federal assault ship with my extra profits, (the anaconda hull is non-negotiable it’s the whole reason i did this trip), would it acquit itself as well in combat missions?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

consider: now that i have money my next plan is to unlock all the engineers, starting with the one who wants 100k in combat vouchers (i’ve already five ranked felicity farsight)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Python can do just fine in combat missions with a non-specific setup like so: This will allow you to collect all the engineer mats and do any mission you desire. Just swap out the heat sink for Frame Shift Wake Scanners if you need those mats and the Warrant Scanner for those missions. If you're definitely going for 'conda then general fitting it for the same purpose could also work just fine if you rush straight for Professor Palin and Dirty Drives 5 which makes maneuvering no longer a royal pain.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i bookmarked your fit for the federal assault ship you advised me on and compared to your fit on the python it's about 80 million versus 160 million so i'll stick with that plan. thanks for the continued help though!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Cowcaster posted:

the anaconda hull is non-negotiable

Buying a scrub-tier Anaconda you can't afford to outfit is an important Ellen: Degeneres rite of passage :discourse:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
My own 'Conda is still poo poo fit because it was only used for passenger missions :v:

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

Rynoto posted:

My own 'Conda is still poo poo fit because it was only used for passenger missions :v:

My SpaceBus Conda has been retrofitted to haul robotics for the Community Mission. It'll hit the drydocks soon when I want to roll a cheap fighter.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Lima posted:

Sol at ~12k ls:

VY CM at ~12k ls:

Also Uranus is like 11k ls from sol, for reference.

e:whoops, that's what I get for not looking at the timestamp before replying.

Plek fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 18, 2018

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i’m considering getting a python instead of a federal assault ship with my extra profits, (the anaconda hull is non-negotiable it’s the whole reason i did this trip), would it acquit itself as well in combat missions?

For what it's worth, the Python is a great generalist ship - often regarded the best medium ship in the game - and can be decently easily fit for combat, too. It's a bit on the slow side, but 3xC3, 2xC2 is nothing to sneeze at.

If you want an alternative for the FAS, though, you may want to have a look at the Lakon Chieftain when it's released. 19M base, super maneuverable, great firepower. Very much planning on getting one myself.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Plek posted:

Also Uranus is like 11k ls from sol, for reference.

e:whoops, that's what I get for not looking at the timestamp before replying.

No, it's only one AU away :v:

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching
On my first trip out of the bubble in my cobra 3 space taxi and my destination system ended up having 12 stars and 3 black holes. Black holes are really creepy imho

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

theodop posted:

On my first trip out of the bubble in my cobra 3 space taxi and my destination system ended up having 12 stars and 3 black holes. Black holes are really creepy imho

There's that one moment when you're accelerating away from it, and you're sort of catching up to the speed of light within the gravity distortion, and for a while the stars are going backwards and it looks like you lost a game of cosmic tug-of-war and are getting pulled back in.. :gonk:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
At least getting close enough to a black hole to emergency drop doesn't instantly kill you like a neutron star does.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I hardly ever see those tiny white stars anymore that I swear a year or two ago you’d drop out in front of them and you’d already be exceeding the orbit line and emergency stop and the tiny white little bastard would absolutely destroy your ship with gravity.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

I hardly ever see those tiny white stars anymore that I swear a year or two ago you’d drop out in front of them and you’d already be exceeding the orbit line and emergency stop and the tiny white little bastard would absolutely destroy your ship with gravity.

Those are what neutron stars used to look like.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
would love to see FDev change the visuals on main sequence stars at some point

i think it would be really cool to see more of the corona and how magnetism twists and changes its shape over time

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I'd love to see more luminous stars, or options to tone it up and down

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

DrNutt posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/5vzc43/its_here_new_release_saitek_x52_elite_setup/

This is what you need. Everything is super intuitive and works out of the box with Voiceattack/HCS packs.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i think it would be really cool to see more of the corona and how magnetism twists and changes its shape over time
You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JimeTpJggGU&t=60s

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the prominences and stuff are very cool for sure

I guess what i'm trying to say in a roundabout way is that it looks weird to have these discrete orange spheres against the black background of space when you're that close to the star. I guess I'm saying that it should visually dominate the scene somehow.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Yeah, the prominences and stuff are very cool for sure

I guess what i'm trying to say in a roundabout way is that it looks weird to have these discrete orange spheres against the black background of space when you're that close to the star. I guess I'm saying that it should visually dominate the scene somehow.

Most everything except the star itself gets really dim when you're close to one.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Anecdotally, the X52 is the model for the control system in Elite's virtual cockpit! :eng101:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Drake_263 posted:

For what it's worth, the Python is a great generalist ship - often regarded the best medium ship in the game - and can be decently easily fit for combat, too. It's a bit on the slow side, but 3xC3, 2xC2 is nothing to sneeze at.

If you want an alternative for the FAS, though, you may want to have a look at the Lakon Chieftain when it's released. 19M base, super maneuverable, great firepower. Very much planning on getting one myself.

The thing about fighting with a Python is you have to remember you're a giant, heavy boat. You're no vulture, you're no eagle. You're more like a slightly mobile artillery platform and it takes a completely different strategy. No fancy flying and hugging their blind spot, you pretty much just hang out, shield tank forever and point at things and whatever you point at evaporates.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Also get used to turning FA off to flip your pizza slice around. The “python turn” becomes habitual after a while and helps a ton with fights.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Goredema posted:

Another HOTAS option to look at is piecing together a setup from CH Products stuff. In comparison to every other HOTAS/Joystick on the market, the CH Products stuff looks like generic, ugly crap-rear end junk, but don't let their looks fool you. They look like that because the company's main business is making joysticks/controllers for industrial machinery. As a result, their gaming peripherals are basically indestructible and eternal. As an example, I started with an ancient CH Flight Stick I found buried under a pile of crap in a thrift store. I plugged into a Gameport-to-USB adapter, calibrated it, and it worked perfectly. Apparently the hard-core flight sim grognards use CH stuff for decades without having to replace a thing.

I'll admit that the CH software is a little old-school and feels like they've barely updated it since Windows 3.1, but it's rock solid, it's easy to bind anything to anything, and it has an "advanced scripting engine" thing that is so complex I haven't even tried to mess with it yet, but apparently it will do your taxes and debate Gamegate on Reddit with a single button press if you program it right.

Assuming it works for you. As much as I love my CH hardware (that works as well now as it did in 2008), their software is no longer supported and you are SOL if it doesn't like some random thing about your configuration and randomly crashes or disconnects the controllers. CH's response on their forums has been "we made this software for like Windows XP and we don't care if it bugs out on your Win7/8/10 installation, sorry." :(

Can't say I regret the purchase of products that still work perfectly 10 years later, but man, the software just doesn't work for me anymore and that is sometimes annoying. It'd definitely be a great find a a thrift store, though.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Running my CH software on win10 and it works great. Fighter stick is the best joystick I’ve ever had.

Although it is bullshit that support is dropped, especially since they still advertise it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

For the people looking for a low-effort decent payoff replacement for the long distance passenger runs, it looks like (some) long-distance data delivery missions still pay pretty high.

Basically, I'm just starting in Barnard's Star (Boston Base), and picking up data delivery missions to Hutton Orbital in Alpha Centauri. It requires the same sort of board flipping, but once your rep is up, the missions generally pay ~1.5-3m each (about half that until your rep is up a bit, so it's worth getting it up a bit via quick local data delivery missions), and you can stack 20 of them.

I'm _sure_ there are better systems to do this is in, but ~50m per run that can be done in a sidewinder while watching netflix is probably worthwhile to some folks here.

• Locked thread