Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Given that the life-cycle of a new iPad (I guess the Pros now since the current non-pro has compromises) has been 5 years, I’d go with a Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The pro is very good.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

My 10.5 Pro is probably the best consumer electronic device I’ve ever bought.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Digital Jesus posted:

My 10.5 Pro is probably the best consumer electronic device I’ve ever bought.

Same. Combined with the keyboard cover, I use it a shitload for work stuff (email, Basecamp, documents). I just take it to the coffee shop instead of my 15” MBP.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Has the 12.9 been too big for any of you?

I want to upgrade this Spring. It feels too big, but I need a bigger screen and I'm hoping I'll get used to it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The 12.9 is the correct-size iPad.

Consuming anything on it is just a joy.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

bobfather posted:

If your use of the iPad usually involves tables or other hard surfaces, or at least a lap and comfortable seat. Holding it can get tiring. But it is really nice for consuming content.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

bobfather posted:

This this this. It’s so good for everything. I’m never going smaller.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy has the iPad Pro 10.5” for $100 off the 64gb and $125 off the 256gb this weekend so now if a good time to buy.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy has the iPad Pro 10.5” for $100 off the 64gb and $125 off the 256gb this weekend so now if a good time to buy.
Related, in case people didn’t know, about a month (?) ago Apple started selling 10.5” refurbs on their own store. They’re the same price as this Best Buy sale ($5 more for the 256)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bobfather posted:

This x2

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Cool. It looks like Apple has them in their refurb store. As long as they're there in another month I'll be rocking Apple's smallest phone and their largest iPad.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I just used my brother in laws iPad and this 120 refresh is no joke. It makes my 2016 iPad feel far more dated than it should :reject:

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
The 12.9 with the keyboard smart case has been a dream to use. I thought it'd be too big when I first bought it, but it's better in every way than the smaller form factor.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I find myself using my 10.5 Pro with the smart keyboard over my MacBook Pro for detailed writing purely because of how much of a joy it is to use. It's just a flawless little device all around.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I have a 9.7 pro and I'm so tempted to buy the newer model but uhhhhh I can't really justify it

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I have a 9.7 pro and I'm so tempted to buy the newer model but uhhhhh I can't really justify it

Yeah, it's just an iPad. You can do email and docs and "consuming anything" just fine on any modern iPad.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

This is where I’m at currently owning a 2017 iPad and looking at a Pro.

Not an artist, so there’s not really much I can’t do with the addition of a 3rd party keyboard.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

OGB posted:

This is where I’m at currently owning a 2017 iPad and looking at a Pro.

Not an artist, so there’s not really much I can’t do with the addition of a 3rd party keyboard.

The Apple Smart Keyboard is awesome and even if you don’t need a pencil, the 10.5 is an incredible package.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

The Apple Smart Keyboard is awesome and even if you don’t need a pencil, the 10.5 is an incredible package.

This but with the 12. I take my 12 all over the place and it’s awesome.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I just couldn't jive with the 12.9. I found it just heavy enough that I stopped using it. I could see if you're primarily using it as a laptop replacement it wouldn't be an issue, but I'm about 50/50 between laptop replacement and actual tablet. The 10.5 is the sweet spot for me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I have the 12.9 and did a test recently for about a week to see if I could replicate my workflow. It was *almost* a complete success:

The Good:
  • Work VPN client worked great
  • I have an O365 account through work. Email, Office Apps, Corp One Drive works great
  • Skype for Business is “ok”. Similarly Zoom is also “ok”
  • MS RDP is so/so. Paid app Jump is awesome and supports both RDP and VNC
  • Prompt2 is great SSH client
  • OmniFocus, OmniGraffle, and Fantastical are more or less the same as the Mac apps. OmniGraffle is actually far more usable with a Pencil
  • I actually prefer annotating docs using PDF Expert on the iPad (w Pencil)

The Gaps:
  • Can’t run any of my VMs (but I may have work host them)
  • No app to open pcap files. Not looking to do actual captures, but I need to be able open them to diagnose issues. Something like Wireshark (minus the live capture aspect) would be perfect. Seems like a niche unfilled right now.
  • No PyCharm. Not as much as a deal breaker of the two above

I was actually really surprised at how well the remote connection app worked, and how easy it was to get into my usual groove. I can absolutely see an iPad being a complete replacement if I can address the gaps. And I think all of that can be done via VMs.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I am baffled as to why Apple stopped making their tablet cases but still make things like $100+ sleeves :psyduck:

As someone who loved the no-frills silicone case on their iPad Air, what's an affordable third-party replacement?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Pants Donkey posted:

I am baffled as to why Apple stopped making their tablet cases but still make things like $100+ sleeves :psyduck:

As someone who loved the no-frills silicone case on their iPad Air, what's an affordable third-party replacement?

The top selling ones on Amazon, at least for my 10.5 are a perfect match for the Smart Keyboard color wise and are a nice material. They have one with a built in pencil holder and some with a built in top cover as well. Cheap too, like 15-18 bucks.

What’s cool is even with the back cover and keyboard it STILL fits in the Apple leather sleeve!

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Ultimate Mango posted:

The top selling ones on Amazon, at least for my 10.5 are a perfect match for the Smart Keyboard color wise and are a nice material. They have one with a built in pencil holder and some with a built in top cover as well. Cheap too, like 15-18 bucks.

What’s cool is even with the back cover and keyboard it STILL fits in the Apple leather sleeve!

idk which one you have but I bought a Khomo hard-back cover on Amazon for my 10.5 and it goes perfectly with the Midnight Blue leather Smart Cover. (Less so with the Smart Keyboard but when I'm working I don't care about aesthetics)

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hello Spaceman posted:

idk which one you have but I bought a Khomo hard-back cover on Amazon for my 10.5 and it goes perfectly with the Midnight Blue leather Smart Cover. (Less so with the Smart Keyboard but when I'm working I don't care about aesthetics)

Yep, those are the ones.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

You mean this?

May go that route.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

You mean this?

May go that route.

I have this one, but for the 12.9

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0758B1N62/

I like the Pencil holder along the edge as opposed to the back, myself.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If there was an iPad Mini with the 120Hz screen I'd be so jazzed. I fuckin' love the form factor of my iPad Mini, but the price tag is a little atrocious this far into its cycle. Even used they're expensive. I could spend $200 more and get a Pro, but those is some big screens for reading poo poo on the subway.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A “mini” pro would be my dream device and I’d happily replace my big pro with it.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I would also buy an updated mini tomorrow, if they make one.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
first world problem but ever since I got my Pro 9.7, my rMBP has been getting very little use. I just wish window management/splitscreen management wasnt such complete garbage on iOS (not that multitasking is much better on macOS). That said, I'm surprised how vintage it feels to work on a laptop after using an ipad for so long.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
My work laptop and home ipad are both getting a bit old (more than a bit in the case of the iPad - it's an iPad 3), and I've been thinking about replacing them both with an iPad Pro + Smart Case. I've read through the thread and seen that people who have done this tend to really like it, but what is on the horizon for iPads? Is now a good time to buy a Pro, or are we likely to get an upgrade in June?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MacRumors has the Pro at neutral in their buyer's guide, so basically if you think you want one, go for it.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

OldSenileGuy posted:

My work laptop and home ipad are both getting a bit old (more than a bit in the case of the iPad - it's an iPad 3), and I've been thinking about replacing them both with an iPad Pro + Smart Case. I've read through the thread and seen that people who have done this tend to really like it, but what is on the horizon for iPads? Is now a good time to buy a Pro, or are we likely to get an upgrade in June?

Current rumors are that FaceID will be added and the bezels will be reduced to more closely match the iPhone X. No one knows for sure though, and the next refresh *probably* won’t be until the fall.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Most of the rumors pointed to iOS 12 revamping multitasking for iPads but that’s been pushed off in favor of fixing everything iOS 11 broke.

That said, no one really knows about the hardware. The cycle seems to be set at a two-year clip (especially the big pro). But stranger things have happened.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

We’re in that sweet spot halfway through the cycle where the iPad is still pretty new but there are also a bunch of sales going on juice the numbers a bit and keep momentum rolling.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

buglord posted:

first world problem but ever since I got my Pro 9.7, my rMBP has been getting very little use. I just wish window management/splitscreen management wasnt such complete garbage on iOS (not that multitasking is much better on macOS). That said, I'm surprised how vintage it feels to work on a laptop after using an ipad for so long.
I miss the old multitasking prior to 11. I liked being able to just swipe down on the secondary window to rapidly switch between apps. Now you got to bring up the dock and gently caress about with dragging.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Pants Donkey posted:

I miss the old multitasking prior to 11. I liked being able to just swipe down on the secondary window to rapidly switch between apps. Now you got to bring up the dock and gently caress about with dragging.

Yeah its kind of mind boggling how bad they made it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

buglord posted:

Yeah its kind of mind boggling how bad they made it.

For real. It's so unintuitive.