Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Recently I’ve been thinking the unthinkable and wondering if I should hold out on getting X in favor of a Switch version that hasn’t been announced yet.
Did you mean a Switch game in general? SRW has a pretty poor track record for ports - really only MX Portable. Impact and AP are remakes so I wouldn't hold my breath for an X port

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Davzz posted:

Did you mean a Switch game in general? SRW has a pretty poor track record for ports - really only MX Portable. Impact and AP are remakes so I wouldn't hold my breath for an X port
The Switch and SRW are made for each other unlike any game and hardware I have ever seen and they’d have to be idiots not to jump on that poo poo immediately. They may be idiots though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
They are traditionally EXTREMELY slow to adapt new hardware and tend to pick a "focus" console with each generation while other consoles get B-Team experimental games, so I would be surprised to see a real high effort SRW on Switch. Moon Dwellers was the first PS4 SRW, and it was a cross-port of a PS3 game, and it came out in 2016, 3 years into the PS4's life cycle. Hell, OGs2nd was the first PS3 game and it came out in 2012, 6 years into the PS3's life cycle.

That said, B-Team experimental games can own extremely hard, because Neo exists.

e: The lack of an actual new handheld console in production might skew this, since the Switch is the closest thing to a "new" handheld we have right now. They might put their previous handheld efforts towards Switch games.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Hunter Noventa posted:

Excellent.

On a related note, I just got back from Mazinger Z Infinity. Can confirm, good movie, should be in SRW.

sure would be nice if we got a tv show out of it! :shepface:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Kanos posted:

They are traditionally EXTREMELY slow to adapt new hardware and tend to pick a "focus" console with each generation while other consoles get B-Team experimental games, so I would be surprised to see a real high effort SRW on Switch. Moon Dwellers was the first PS4 SRW, and it was a cross-port of a PS3 game, and it came out in 2016, 3 years into the PS4's life cycle. Hell, OGs2nd was the first PS3 game and it came out in 2012, 6 years into the PS3's life cycle.

That said, B-Team experimental games can own extremely hard, because Neo exists.

e: The lack of an actual new handheld console in production might skew this, since the Switch is the closest thing to a "new" handheld we have right now. They might put their previous handheld efforts towards Switch games.

Part of the slow-to-adopt thing has been declining console sales in Japan, but both the PS4 and Switch are selling gangbusters like we havent seen since the PS2, I wouldnt be surprised if they eventually ditch the VITA versions for Switch versions.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Kanos posted:

I bet they killed off those teams to focus on sweet sweet mobage money.

Anyway, I feel like people might be reading my statement as "SRW will never have a Switch game until it's super late" but it's really supposed to be "The Switch will probably have an SRW game at some point of time, but it won't specifically be a port of SRW X"

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm sure the next SRW in like 2 years will be PS4/Switch.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

KoB posted:

Part of the slow-to-adopt thing has been declining console sales in Japan, but both the PS4 and Switch are selling gangbusters like we havent seen since the PS2, I wouldnt be surprised if they eventually ditch the VITA versions for Switch versions.

They have always been pretty slow to adopt new technology. The first fully original PSX game(Shin SRW) came out 2 years after the PSX's release, and Impact didn't come out until 2 years after the PS2 and had a lot of reused/retouched assets and was itself a remake of an older game. SRW W came out 3 years after the DS's release and had a cast list largely ported from J. It's just a thing with Banpresto, it seems.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I'm sure the next SRW in like 2 years will be PS4/Switch.

SRW games have been yearly for a little while now.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Virtual On sticks are coming back, care of a Japanese health and fitness company that apparently specializes in weight scales? Looking at this article, the president of the company is a big Virtual On fan and this is a personal project or something.

KoB posted:

SRW games have been yearly for a little while now.

Well yeah but

Kanos posted:

They have always been pretty slow to adopt new technology. The first fully original PSX game(Shin SRW) came out 2 years after the PSX's release, and Impact didn't come out until 2 years after the PS2 and had a lot of reused/retouched assets and was itself a remake of an older game. SRW W came out 3 years after the DS's release and had a cast list largely ported from J. It's just a thing with Banpresto, it seems.

So next year's will still be PS4/Vita and people'll still be asking where the Switch version is.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Play-Asia is doing a Lunar New Year Sale and a bunch of Asian English SRW/mecha games are on sale right now.

SD Gundam G Generation Genesis (PS4): $34.99 USD
Super Robot Wars V (Vita): $49.99 USD
Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers: $33.99 USD
Gundam Breaker 3 (Vita): $39.99 USD
Gundam Breaker 3 Break Edition (PS4): $52.99 USD

The Vita version of SD Gundam G Generation Genesis is listed on the sale page but there's no sale price in effect and the PS4 version of Super Robot Wars V is not on sale, probably because it's been on back order for a few weeks now.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Since they are probably going to announce the originals tomorrow what are people’s predictions?

I’m going with physical based super copiloted by a princess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

female knight with a melee based real, prince with a ranged based super. protag choice but they both join early and their routes are essentially the same. one of the mechs will have a dragon motif.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think we're going to have two choices. The female will have a skimpy outfit for no reason, and will pilot a range based robot. The male is going to have stupid hair and pilot a melee based robot.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think they might do a V again and only have a single base mech (maybe a super this time?) that you get a upgrade choice with 2/3rds through the game to turn into an even badder suit of magiarmor or turn into ninja bullshit.

No real storyline difference either.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Are we guessing what will happen or saying what we want to happen? Because in the latter case, I want to choose from 4 robots, Alpha-style, that are basically a fighter, wizard, priest, or thief. They get mid-game upgrades to knight, sorceror, paladin, and rogue. In the former case:

Zore posted:

I think they might do a V again and only have a single base mech (maybe a super this time?) that you get a upgrade choice with 2/3rds through the game to turn into an even badder suit of magiarmor or turn into ninja bullshit.

No real storyline difference either.

For characters, I think we're all expecting high school students who were transported from Earth seconds before one of them could ask the other out on a date. They're childhood friends and one is fun & sporty while the other is cool & intelligent. Right?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I can see "male or female protagonist, the one you pick pushes the other out of the way of a speeding truck and ends up in magic super robot land."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Mecha designs by Yoshihiro Togashi.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Schwarzwald posted:

Mecha designs by Yoshihiro Togashi.

Do we have to wait until he has them done? Because if so this game won't be released for years.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Because of the Real Heavy line up I'm hoping we get the option of a really nice Super. Choice of male or female MC. I predict another Nine/Falsaber thing where the mech has a personality but this time its possessed by a wizard or something.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm gonna go long odds. Full NEO. Male protag brought in as a Defender and winds up in a special robot. Female protagonist/rival native to Al Warth joins at some point.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
PV2's out. Here you go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA-Uqv4BNC0

Lelouch cut-in is the high mark I think

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Which of you guessed "They're both locals from Tales Atelier the Fantasy World and pilot a Birb Wizard?"

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Wizard Bird mech makes me pretty happy dunno about you guys.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Definitely going to be playing as the male protag. His theme sounds cooler. But that doesn't really matter because JOINT DRAGON FIRE AND MAZINGER BROTHERS!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh wow CCA-era Char joins us. Are we actually doing the CCA plot then?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Raxivace posted:

I think it's just units - Hi-nu and Nightingale

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Raxivace posted:

And we fight Glemy! High chance of ZZ plot too. Looking forwards to Char just seeing everyone else's buttfuck stupid plans, motivations and reconquistas and going "No I have my limits"

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

And we fight Glemy! High chance of ZZ plot too. Looking forwards to Char just seeing everyone else's buttfuck stupid plans, motivations and reconquistas and going "No I have my limits"

I think the point he gives up is when Klim starts dancing.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Inferno-sama posted:

I think the point he gives up is when Klim starts dancing.

Klim: "I'm a genius! OH NO!"
Char: "... is that really how I look to everyone else?"
Amuro: "For the last time YES"

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Klim: "I'm a genius! OH NO!"
Char: "... is that really how I look to everyone else?"
Amuro: "For the last time YES"

I would love a Buddy Cop show where CCA Amuro and Char meet various people from across Gundam, and Char and Amuro just commenting on them while making snide jabs at each other. Probably throw in Judau as the wacky sidekick, Haman Karn as the under-appreciated secretary and, of course, Haro as the pet.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Inferno-sama posted:

I would love a Buddy Cop show where CCA Amuro and Char meet various people from across Gundam, and Char and Amuro just commenting on them while making snide jabs at each other. Probably throw in Judau as the wacky sidekick, Haman Karn as the under-appreciated secretary and, of course, Haro as the pet.

Also Kamille asleep somewhere in every scene. Fund it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Bright can be the police chief who is sick of Amuro and Char playing by their own rules!!! God dammit, you're a loose cannon Aznable!!!!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Yeah, not really feeling the MCs on this one, but I like the male design and theme music better. This is kind of different because I gravitated towards Chitose immediately in V (and only liked her more the farther I went into V).

Also, looks like Glemy is back. Unless they're just going to revive dead villains/write it so he survived after ZZ, are they going to go through ZZ story?

If the latter, I demand a two-part Moon Moon Chapter.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Bright can be the police chief who is sick of Amuro and Char playing by their own rules!!! God dammit, you're a loose cannon Aznable!!!!

"We broke up that drug-lab Chief, what's the problem?"
"The problem, Officer Aznable?! You dropped an asteroid on the lab! Now the entire city is a crater! You can see it from space!"
"Yeah well I guess you get a good view of it from your office. In the colonies"

MechaX posted:

Yeah, not really feeling the MCs on this one, but I like the male design and theme music better. This is kind of different because I gravitated towards Chitose immediately in V (and only liked her more the farther I went into V).

Also, looks like Glemy is back. Unless they're just going to revive dead villains/write it so he survived after ZZ, are they going to go through ZZ story?

I've wanted to punch Glemy with a lot of mechs for a long time so I'm digging the possibility of getting some ZZ. He'll fit right in with the other creepy dickhead antagonists we're getting from Buddy Complex and Cross Ange, what with his small force of cloned little girls and all.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

TheLastRoboKy posted:

"We broke up that drug-lab Chief, what's the problem?"
"The problem, Officer Aznable?! You dropped an asteroid on the lab! Now the entire city is a crater! You can see it from space!"
"Yeah well I guess you get a good view of it from your office. In the colonies"

The only reasons they haven't been arrested for everything they've (Char's) done is because they're that good at their job...and Haman is the best secretary ever.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Inferno-sama posted:

The only reasons they haven't been arrested for everything they've (Char's) done is because they're that good at their job...and Haman is the best secretary ever.

Everyone else is weighed down by paperwork.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Everyone else is weighed down by paperwork.

Scirocco is the cop that has all the ladies swooning despite him being a complete tool, Jamitov is the dirty Superintendent and Jerid is constantly trying to one up Kamille and failing despite Kamille always being asleep every time we see him.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I feel like we've slipped away from the original point and that is the bird mech is pretty cool looking but I'm also absolutely hyped for playable Klim because he's my spirit animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I believe they actually talked about how Char / Nightingale wasn't originally going to be shown in the PV but it was mandated (probably to lure people who didn't like that he was gone in V) and he's supposed to be a secret, so barring some really weird handling, there's probably going to be some amount of CCA plot.

Or maybe they meant just the unit is a secret, I dunno.

• Locked thread