Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Kanos posted:

This is all pretty valid. Aside from the mass production robots having a really cool team attack strategy(that they displayed in identical fashion several times) and aside from Strelizia's shenanigans, the protagonist robots have done pretty much nothing besides get thrown around and their big moments have consisted of "stab monster with spears to hold it down for Strelizia's monstrous power to finish the job". This makes sense plot-wise(they're all useless green rookies and Strelizia's "core" is a superhuman veteran), but it's not something that will remain acceptable forever if the choreography is going to remain interesting. They also take a lot of shortcuts with animating members of the squad that aren't Strelizia or Delphinium. The especially egregious moment in this episode was when they went "We've got to stop it from transforming so Strelizia can kill it!", they are all shown dashing in....and then it jump cuts to still frames of them holding open various parts of the klaxosaur, instead of actually animating them doing that, with only Delphinium actually receiving animation(her straining to hold her part open followed by yelling for Hiro and 02).

I noticed this too, and I usually never notice animation issues. There are few shots of the mecha actually in action, so you can't really follow the progress of the fighting very well. They only showed a handful of klaxosaurs actually in combat when I think there were many more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

bring back the emphasis on loving, in mechs

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RME posted:

bring back the emphasis on loving, in mechs

It's still there, only the focus has moved from sheer lust to keeping up an actual healthy relationship, this correlates to Hiro's own character as he has finally understood that being with 02 is not something he should do only for his own pleasure and self-satisfaction but also to give her happiness.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

has anyone compared this show to eureka seven yet

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

if not i'm doing it

this show reminds me of eureka seven a lot

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It reminds me of Neon Genesis Eureka Sevian

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Dryzen posted:

if not i'm doing it

this show reminds me of eureka seven a lot

it doesnt for me
mostly because i never saw e7

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

RME posted:

it doesnt for me

thanks for the input bitch!!!

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

A lot of the stuff in the latest episode really made it remind me of eureka seven, especially with the stuff between hiro and 02, so now I'm going to start comparing everything I see to eureka seven

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Dryzen posted:

thanks for the input bitch!!!

yw
glad to help, really

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I haven't watched Eureka 7 because I haven't seen the first six shows yet.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Raxivace posted:

I haven't watched Eureka 7 because I haven't seen the first six shows yet.

I still can't believe they made 6 mecha anime from a Sci-Fi show about a sheriff in a town of geniuses.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

RME posted:

it doesnt for me

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Eureka Seven is kinda bad.
It middles through a large chunk of the beginning, then it all pretty much goes downhill at the halfway point of the couple of mercenary/assasins/whatever dying because they were the most interesting aspect of the show. When they died the whole thing got lovely real fast.

I certainly haven't seen any parallel of E7 yet so thank god for that.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 19, 2018

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

If you don't see the similarities in how 02 and anemone act then I don't think you actually watched eureka seven at all!

I'm on to you...

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
anemone was really boring, why would I remember her?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you know im starting to not trust your opinion on eureka seven

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Sell me on this Eureka 7 show possibly with gifs

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
A boy and a nonhuman girl meet and learn to pilot her giant robot together while falling in love

but...the giant robots surf through the sky on giant surfboards

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's a two episode long fight scene in a denny's parking lot

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Endorph posted:

What else would you do at a Denny's? Seems redundant.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DisDisDis posted:

Sell me on this Eureka 7 show possibly with gifs

Pictured: "Boring Anemone"

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Endorph posted:

hell yeah there is

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

So how long before Strelizia performs a cut back drop turn?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

What else would you do at a Denny's? Seems redundant.

A quick one episode fight scene and/or panhandling, I'd think.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

e7 sucks and i hate holland to death!!!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's good

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Dominic and Anemone are the best part of e7. The whole issue of Eureka being a package deal with the 3 lovely brats uuggghhhhh.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

just listen to the e7 soundtrack imho its way better than anything else in the show.

fake edit: aside from Anemone

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T9Yygju9IY

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Anemone is a character that's well animated and comes across as smug and a bit on the crazy side, but by the end of the show her whole arc devolves to she's upset she's not like renton and eureka (or something I haven't watched the show since it first aired on adult swim) and all of a sudden she just sorta changes tone to realizing that's not all she cares about and jumps out of her robot into a deadfall to meet up with that one boy and the sheepcat, then her robot dies and she does nothing else for the next two episodes.
Also the poo poo with the coral alien things is loving stupid, because from what I was told the mvie hints that the coral in that alternate history are the same ones from the main series and they learned literally nothing from how bad they hosed up things the first go-around.

Honestly Bones' good shows are when they sorta wander like stray dogs, which is majority of their work. Eureka tries to be focused and doesn't do a good job of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Anemone is a character that's well animated and comes across as smug and a bit on the crazy side, but by the end of the show her whole arc devolves to she's upset she's not like renton and eureka (or something I haven't watched the show since it first aired on adult swim) and all of a sudden she just sorta changes tone to realizing that's not all she cares about and jumps out of her robot into a deadfall to meet up with that one boy and the sheepcat, then her robot dies and she does nothing else for the next two episodes.
Also the poo poo with the coral alien things is loving stupid, because from what I was told the mvie hints that the coral in that alternate history are the same ones from the main series and they learned literally nothing from how bad they hosed up things the first go-around.

Honestly Bones' good shows are when they sorta wander like stray dogs, which is majority of their work. Eureka tries to be focused and doesn't do a good job of it.

It does? I remember it kinda meandering for forty episodes (give or take the Beams arc) and then squeezing the vast majority of its plot into the last ten.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

It does? I remember it kinda meandering for forty episodes (give or take the Beams arc) and then squeezing the vast majority of its plot into the last ten.

Yeah, Eureka Seven is extremely meandering and goes absolutely nowhere for most of the runtime of the show, making it a pretty boring overall watch. There's some really good stuff in there but the show could have easily been two cour without even needing to sacrifice all of the world building and side story stuff(like the Beams) because pretty much everything important to the main plot happens at the very end.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
that's why I said 'tries to'. it spends far too much time on weird worldbuilding episodes like the racism episode with the one princess who's dying (basically the only episode of the show I remember the entire plot of because it actually left an impression on me)

I don't even remember if that stuff ever comes up again in the entire series or it's just a singular plot to try and get renton to learn he can't save everyone.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I mean it's fine to not enjoy stuff that doesn't directly influence the plot but you can't just tell everyone it completely fails at what it tries to do when so many other people enjoy it. I don't think there's many people who will say that the pacing of it is something that everyone should deal with because it is definitely an issue but a lot of those episodes where "nothing happens" have a lot of good characterization for a cast of characters that's really enjoyable. I know nobody has said exactly that and I think the things that have been said are valid complaints if you just care more about plot resolution, but as someone who just really enjoys the world it builds and all the things that went in to it I just want to defend it against what the most common complaint about it usually turns in to.

Also lol you can't just say a show tries to be focused and should be meandering instead, get told it's very meandering, and then go "uh well yeah it tries to meander and instead FOCUSES on meandering" or some poo poo I don't even get what your point is there

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

E7 always sticks out in my mind because it was from a time when you could actually get away with doing a 50 episode original anime. I think this choice did hurt its general pacing, so I agree with most of those criticisms, but it did also provide some interesting development in how the scope of the world kept getting pulled further and further out over time. A lot of times when shorter shows try to do that it ends up feeling like it's happening too quickly, so E7's length helped give it more of that "epic journey" sort of feel.

I don't think it's a revolutionary show or anything but it was really creative with its mech design and focus on counter-culture, had a great soundtrack, and Anemone rules, so it's probably always going to be one of my favorite 00-era shows, even if it does drag pretty hard at a couple of points.

And yes, I definitely see some parallels between Franxx and E7.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NotALizardman posted:

e7 sucks and i hate holland to death!!!!

E7 I am ambivalent about, but gently caress Holland and Eureka's bratty kids.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I forgot just about everything about Eureka 7 except that the openings ruled and it got really boring after a while

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Please post your lovely FRANXX opinions and leave Eureka 7 out of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Nirvashes were loving cool

• Locked thread