Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Glittering Worlds mod adds two melee weapons - the lower tech burn stick, higher tech pain stick (since it won’t leave scars).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

Glittering Worlds mod adds two melee weapons - the lower tech burn stick, higher tech pain stick (since it won’t leave scars).

It also has "pain guns" but if you're not zapping your... prisoners with a cattle prod you may as well just send them off to the butchering table.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
random question but anyone know a mod where you can dispose of bodies by impaling them on spikes outside of your base

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

random question but anyone know a mod where you can dispose of bodies by impaling them on spikes outside of your base

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1222844735&searchtext=effigies

Now you too can roleplay a tribe of degenerate cannibals from various horror movies.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Keeshhound posted:

Just strip them all and put turrets outside the door

For that matter you can put turrets inside the door

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Lt. Lizard posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1222844735&searchtext=effigies

Now you too can roleplay a tribe of degenerate cannibals from various horror movies.

I love this game

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Also this one:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1267084448

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Flesh Forge posted:

For that matter you can put turrets inside the door

I was assuming a tiny cell.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
How do turrets inside work, they ignore prisoners until a prison break gets staged? Do the prisoners attack the turrets?

Never thought of turrets, I always use a straight one-tile wide hallway leading out of prison that has a three-tile end that gets filled with armored melee dudes wielding plasteel maces giving orderly beatdowns to the single file escapees.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Prisoners are "friendly" untill they star opening doors.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I just had a prison break. They were all the teenagers left over from the last pirate raid, I had released all the adults and was going to recruit the younglings to save them from a life of stupidly raiding well armed spacers.

Three out of the four were killed by the turrets or the bionic punches of the guards. The lone survivor is 15 and had his nose punched clean off his head, his arm sliced off, and his foot shattered.

They were all great friends with my wardens, I was just waiting to have bedrooms built for them and hadn't switched on the recruit button yet.

Sorry kids :smith:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Slung Blade posted:

I just had a prison break. They were all the teenagers left over from the last pirate raid, I had released all the adults and was going to recruit the younglings to save them from a life of stupidly raiding well armed spacers.

Three out of the four were killed by the turrets or the bionic punches of the guards. The lone survivor is 15 and had his nose punched clean off his head, his arm sliced off, and his foot shattered.

They were all great friends with my wardens, I was just waiting to have bedrooms built for them and hadn't switched on the recruit button yet.

Sorry kids :smith:

The slavery mod is pretty nice - hear me out - in that when a slave decides to escape you find out once they've left the home area. You've almost no chance of catching them and end up cheering for them. Also how many wardens do you have? Too many dilutes the stockholm syndrome. You really just want each of them seeing one fairly nice person, so if you've several prisoners, make wings that only certain wardens can go to.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

I was assuming a tiny cell.

I wasn't joking, I build prison cells adjacent to a common room with amenities and hold the cell doors open so prisoners can come out and have access to tables and fridges etc/ You can put one or more turrets in there if you feel like it, but your colonists will often go use the same amenities so they tend to act as guards anyway.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

wit posted:

The slavery mod is pretty nice - hear me out - in that when a slave decides to escape you find out once they've left the home area. You've almost no chance of catching them and end up cheering for them. Also how many wardens do you have? Too many dilutes the stockholm syndrome. You really just want each of them seeing one fairly nice person, so if you've several prisoners, make wings that only certain wardens can go to.

Ehhh, about eight I think? I mostly use it as social training practice, good for hospitality and trading. Recruiting is piss easy so I'm not worried about that. Wings of the prison for different wardens is a cool idea though.

Also, the :siren: OHU dropship mod updated! :siren: It's been working fine for me, multiple loaders and all!

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31906.0

https://github.com/Cpt-Ohu/OHU-Dropships/releases/tag/v1.56

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Slung Blade posted:

Also, the :siren: OHU dropship mod updated! :siren: It's been working fine for me, multiple loaders and all!

:piss: I had all but given up hope :dance: the reusable transport pods just weren't the same

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Slung Blade posted:

Ehhh, about eight I think? I mostly use it as social training practice, good for hospitality and trading. Recruiting is piss easy so I'm not worried about that. Wings of the prison for different wardens is a cool idea though.

:getin:

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

My new base is coming along nicely!

I got attacked by at least 30 huskies, my mortar team took out 10 with one hit.

Not 10 minutes later I had a trade caravan and a raid happen at the same time my relationship with the faction took a hit but atleast I know my security set up works well and I got a ton of free loot!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Props for putting your hospital right next to the kill zone but where's your prison :)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I have further refined my drug rehab getaway spa concept slightly.

Since I love mountainous boreal forest maps for my home base, I am constantly in need of wood since it grows so slowly at home. I mostly use this wood to make chemfuel to power my jet fleet. The new swamps suck for a base, but they have a literally endless supply of tree matter.

So, instead of simply wasting fuel flying these degenerates back and forth to the clinic, I am instead sending them to the Betty Ford Re-education Camp and Chemfuel Refinery Fun Spa!

That way, they get to be productive and make gas out of trees all loving day while robots cut them down and haul them back and tend to their every need except for social interaction.

Look at this ungrateful little fucker. I drop from the sky to rescue this snot nosed teenager from a prison in the middle of nowhere surrounded by turrets and angry pirates, and as soon as the plane touches land he bee-lines right for the go-juice and gets addicted like an idiot. Now he's constantly breaking down and throwing tantrums and collapsing in the hallways. Off to the gas plant spa for you little buddy!

Now they get to earn their ride home, unless they have at least 5-6k fuel stockpiled, the plane's not coming.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Flesh Forge posted:

Props for putting your hospital right next to the kill zone but where's your prison :)

Its just up the hall near the crematorium. :D

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I really need to stop trying to build my base out of stone right off the bat. I always get bottlenecked on blocks then if man hunters show up I'm hosed.

In unrelated news, I'm now out a builder and a cook. I have an OK back up for building, but my next best cook is a 3. I feel that every one is getting food poisoning for the next little while.

How much does armor help in gun fights? Should I be prioritizing getting a few sets of that?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The best defence is not getting shot but armour is quite helpful, I believe the formula is that up to about 50% armour, it increases your chance to not take damage by that percentage, and then all % on top of that cuts the incoming damage by that %.

It's a weird system but basically good armour can really help keep you alive and is useful up to well above 100%, but that unless you're using power armour its effects are very random and it tends not to prevent injury to the extremities as heavy armoured gloves aren't common.

Definitely pull the flak vests off anyone you find that has one because I don't think they count as dead man's clothing, and they generally carry great protection for the torso which is where most of your organs are located, but they won't stop people shooting off your fingers. There's no reason not to equip them on your combatants though if you have them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 19, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
flak vests definitely count as deadman armor if you pull them off a corpse. this will not stop your pawns from putting them on and being unhappy about it forever.

ask me how i know this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh, could have sworn I salvaged a bunch of them off some corpses and they didn't seem fussed. Power Armour at least doesn't count, or is that a mod?

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Deadman vests can make people sad

But when they stop a bullet you bet they are glad

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

AbortRetryFail posted:

Deadman vests can make people sad

But when they stop a bullet you bet they are glad

To kill a man, I has a sad
Wearing his vest, it makes me mad
Dead men's clothes are wrong and bad
But I don't die, then I am glad

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
They're also pretty cheap; just 100 steel and 2 components to make yourself, so once you've got a trade beacon set up it shouldn't be too hard to get your important colonists kitted out.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
vests and helmet make a huuuuuge difference. Give your lowest range dudes a vest and helmet then if it's a siege, micro your guys forward a block at a time. Also build a simple killbox (even without turrets just having a 15x25 box where enemies funnel in 1 or 2 at a time ensures that your guys take minimal damage.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Coolguye posted:

flak vests definitely count as deadman armor if you pull them off a corpse. this will not stop your pawns from putting them on and being unhappy about it forever.

ask me how i know this.

How do you know this?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I still can't believe there's no "no loving dead man's armour" option for outfits. I'm sure there's a mod but :cripes:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Wait, are you implying there's a no loving dead man's clothing option?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

loving dead man's clothing option?

First effigies and now this? Dang Rimworld, you dark.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

HelloSailorSign posted:

First effigies and now this? Dang Rimworld, you dark.

This but unironically. Remember when Tynan said he was gonna try to focus on the lighter side of Rimworld? We got more graphic combat descriptions, tons of new mental breaks, caravan raiding parties, and drugs.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

This but unironically. Remember when Tynan said he was gonna try to focus on the lighter side of Rimworld? We got more graphic combat descriptions, tons of new mental breaks, caravan raiding parties, and drugs.

Who are you kidding the lighter side is hats made out of the skin of your enemy/prisoners. It's Firefly, but we're the reavers.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Warmachine posted:

Who are you kidding the lighter side is hats made out of the skin of your enemy/prisoners. It's Firefly, but we're the reavers.

Oh yeah I forgot the positive thoughts for human leather clothing. Good catch.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

IcePhoenix posted:

How do you know this?

i used a lot of dead dudeman armor, figuring that a little -5 couldn't hurt too much. which it can't, if you're good at the game and are managing moods well, but i most certainly was not when i was doing this. one of my generally non-combat colonists (she could wield weapons but was terrible at it) was also neurotic and depressive, so that -5 combined with a Feeling Terrible day was enough to kick her off onto a traumatized wander spell where she stripped naked and wandered into the wilderness. the deadman armor was noted as the last straw.

no problem, sez i. it's a temperate environment. the predators out there aren't especially aggressive. i'll let it get out of her system and then i'll bring her back in.

that's when the flashstorm started.

i clicked on it and realized very quickly that the flashstorm was centered almost perfectly on my traumatized colonist. so i sent a soldier after her.

imagine, if you will, a former tribal fighter in a duster and a topknot slinging a naked, babbling artist over her shoulder and dashing out of a loving flashstorm, weaving between lightning strikes and brewing brushfires, to slam the dozy naked chick into a prison cell because otherwise she is going to stay out in the goddamn storm and get struck by multiple bolts of lightning. the fighter is probably cursing wildly.

and that's how i know flak vests count as dead dudeman armor.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

And this is why I always ask people when they tell me to ask them about something :lol:

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Coolguye posted:

and that's how i know flak vests count as dead dudeman armor.

Either it's one of my million mods or it's changed recently, but in my game they very definitely are not dead man's apparel. If any of these are changing it, it's medieval times.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Wait are you telling me that wearing a hat they took off a dead guy will make colonists sad, but wearing a nice hat someone made out of the same dead guy will make them happy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The mending mod cleans up the deadman designation when something is repaired. I'm imagining they're just washing the blood and puke off it.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Wait are you telling me that wearing a hat they took off a dead guy will make colonists sad, but wearing a nice hat someone made out of the same dead guy will make them happy?

I think only psychopaths enjoy human leather clothes. maybe cannibals but I'm not sure