Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I though Claw had one of the best performances in the movie. Maybe there's not much depth to him, but he was fun.
What is love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We don't know for sure Hela is dead. We know Asgardians can survive in space, so its possible she survived. This depends on if Blanchett wants to come back. And I never believed Red Skull was killed, the effect used for when he touched the Tesseract was pretty much what they used in Thor for the Bifrost, so I assume he's out in space somewhere. Again, it seems more dependant on the actor, but I don't think Weaving has any interest in coming back. Though unlike Hela, I don't think it would be hard to recast if they wanted to bring Red Skull back.

Ronan is the one I really agree with. There was no reason to kill him, just strip him of his power. Hopefully they won't off Thanos.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

I though Claw had one of the best performances in the movie. Maybe there's not much depth to him, but he was fun.
What is love?

Yeah, it's fine for a villain's motivation to be shallow and simple as long as the character is entertaining, and Serkis knocked it out of the park in Black Panther.

And while we're discussing characters Shuri absolutely stole the show in my opinion, the bit where she was demonstrating the suit's kinetic absorption/redirection systems was fantastic. I really hope they find an excuse to put Letitia Wright in as many Marvel movies as possible.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Kai Tave posted:

the only reason Skurge existed in the movies was so that they could do his last stand.
But the only reason Skurge's last stand works is that he's been around forever and everyone's entirely familiar with him being a somewhat dim henchman guy, so that he can pull out the hidden depths and go out in a blaze of glory. I just didn't care in Ragnarok because gently caress it, just met the guy. That moment is exactly why you need recurring villains, so it can be surprising and unique when one of them dies.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

But the only reason Skurge's last stand works is that he's been around forever and everyone's entirely familiar with him being a somewhat dim henchman guy, so that he can pull out the hidden depths and go out in a blaze of glory. I just didn't care in Ragnarok because gently caress it, just met the guy. That moment is exactly why you need recurring villains, so it can be surprising and unique when one of them dies.

Honestly though, the only reason I even knew Skurge existed was people posting the panels of his last stand. I've never seen anyone ever talk about the character outside of that moment. Like I dunno, maybe there's a whole bunch of hidden depths there that I'm not aware of, but I'm betting that to a lot of people if they're aware of Skurge at all it's only from seeing a dude shooting a couple of M-16s into a ravening horde and that's it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

for the record, I'm not saying Klaue wasn't entertaining.

I just don't really think you can do much with him. The guy is there to symbolize unchecked white aggression and appropriation, which is reflected in how he appropriates wakandan technology and makes a mockery of black culture with his "music" while calling them savages.

You can't really do much more with him other than have him cackle and shoot his gun. He was used by the kind of person he sought to victimize and steal from. His character has served its purpose and there's not much merit in keeping him around.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Honestly though, the only reason I even knew Skurge existed was people posting the panels of his last stand. I've never seen anyone ever talk about the character outside of that moment. Like I dunno, maybe there's a whole bunch of hidden depths there that I'm not aware of, but I'm betting that to a lot of people if they're aware of Skurge at all it's only from seeing a dude shooting a couple of M-16s into a ravening horde and that's it.

He died in 1985 and stayed dead, so outside of cartoon appearances he's been long gone now.

He's been dead 12 years longer than he was around.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So my buddy saw Black Panther for the third time today, this time in 3D. He mentioned that there was a couple changed lines in the 3D version that weren't there in the 2D versions he saw. He specifically called out the bit where Shuri said she thought T'Challa was taking her to Coachella and that she also mentioned Disneyland in the 3D version. Weird.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

So my buddy saw Black Panther for the third time today, this time in 3D. He mentioned that there was a couple changed lines in the 3D version that weren't there in the 2D versions he saw. He specifically called out the bit where Shuri said she thought T'Challa was taking her to Coachella and that she also mentioned Disneyland in the 3D version. Weird.

I've seen it in 3d and 2d and that was in both (at least in NZ)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CapnAndy posted:

Whiplash, Red Skull, Ronan, Crossbones, Arnim Zola, Ultron, Yellowjacket, Hela, Skurge, Klaw, and Killmonger. I'm not saying they were all great, but everyone there deserved at least another shot, and for fucksakes if you don't build up a B list of recurring punching bags, how are you ever gonna do the Thunderbolts?

skurge only ever was enchantress' lacky and she doesnt exist in the mcu and the m16 scene was just an easter egg for diehards and internet nerds like us. no one actually gives a poo poo about him

ultron was literally thrown into the sun and came back in comics you can find any excuse to bring him back but i still think its a dumb idea when you can mine a whole bunch of other stuff

ronan was barely a character why would anyone want to see him come back

like, okay lets be real, the mcu is on the verge of doing a whole new avengers deal and phasing out the og actors/characters and marvel should be holding onto b and c list villains for what?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nodosaur posted:

for the record, I'm not saying Klaue wasn't entertaining.

I just don't really think you can do much with him. The guy is there to symbolize unchecked white aggression and appropriation, which is reflected in how he appropriates wakandan technology and makes a mockery of black culture with his "music" while calling them savages.

You can't really do much more with him other than have him cackle and shoot his gun. He was used by the kind of person he sought to victimize and steal from. His character has served its purpose and there's not much merit in keeping him around.

I don't really disagree with you here, Klaue going out the way he did makes sense for the movie, it's just a pity that Serkis really only got to be in one good Marvel movie even if it was a really good one.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The walking up to the throne tilty shot here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHLU3T-e2t4&t=74s
I wonder if they edited the head, or shot the walk-up with both characters.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 18, 2018

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, it's fine for a villain's motivation to be shallow and simple as long as the character is entertaining, and Serkis knocked it out of the park in Black Panther.

And while we're discussing characters Shuri absolutely stole the show in my opinion, the bit where she was demonstrating the suit's kinetic absorption/redirection systems was fantastic. I really hope they find an excuse to put Letitia Wright in as many Marvel movies as possible.

I want Shuri/Spiderman interactions in IW please. She can make additions to his suit, they're the same age (which is way better than loving Tumblr shipping her with Tony and Bucky) and we know that this Peter has a.. uh.. type. :) Also overprotective T'Challa sounds hilarious.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

I've seen it in 3d and 2d and that was in both (at least in NZ)

No mention of Disneyland in my US 2D screening. Weird.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's weird. We definitely got "I thought you were taking me to Coachella, or at least Disneyland" (or whatever she said) in both versions.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Koalas March posted:

I want Shuri/Spiderman interactions in IW please. She can make additions to his suit, they're the same age (which is way better than loving Tumblr shipping her with Tony and Bucky) and we know that this Peter has a.. uh.. type. :) Also overprotective T'Challa sounds hilarious.

That would be pretty great, yeah.

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's weird. We definitely got "I thought you were taking me to Coachella, or at least Disneyland" (or whatever she said) in both versions.

Same here, it was in the showing I went to earlier today, standard 2D format and all.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Reflecting on it, it's amusing how Black Panther shows us echoes of various things already explored (some at depth) elsewhere in the MCU, but here they're nearly effortless and wildly superior, by virtue of the utopian nature of Wakanda and its people:

• Stark Tech is a big one here. We see him go from hard-light immersive GUIs to lifelike hologram projectors in IM3, whereas in Wakanda a flawless hologram technology is widely available to the point that everyone just has one in a bead on their wrist. Similarly, Shuri's vibranium nanoweave suit makes pretty much every iteration of the Iron Man armor look downright prehistoric by comparison
  • It takes the west all the way until Age of Ultron (IIRC) to invent Quinjets, but Wakandans were flying around in them in the 90s
  • Shuri's medical tech seem on par, if not better, with that of Asgard, whose science is so advanced that it's shorthanded into 'magic'
  • The super soldier serum? That thing you guys tried to replicate for seventy years but botched up so badly that it instead accidentally made two (2) unstoppable monsters? Yeah, T'challa's ancestors found out how to cultivate that from a plant with a mortar and pestle a thousand years ago
  • Any sort of Black Widow property seems redundant now, since Nakia is effortlessly an equal or better Femme Fatale Spy, and presumably didn't need to be conscripted and abused from childhood to become so
  • Hell, even the Jabari throne room evokes the same architecture as Avengers Tower, but was hewn out of a mountain by Wakanda's most 'primitive' tribe

There wasn't any room for it in the film, but I wonder why Wakandan science had never explored AI (though the vibranium mining process appears to be entirely automated) or transhumanism in the way that Stark/SHIELD/HYDRA did - perhaps the movie's implication is that the Wakandans either were smart or content enough to leave those cans of worms closed, or they did and safely dealt with the issues back during the War of 1812

edit: I don't think there's any tech even in the Actual Space Aliens From Space parts of the MCU that rivals Wakanda, except for FTL space vessels and maybe Thanos's cool floating chair

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 18, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^The portable hole stones in First Class were pretty rad.

Shuri should bag on Stark's tech for being "quaint" but geek out about Peter Parker's webbing formula, then make him a snazzy Afro-futurist spider suit to go with it.

e; also Miles Morales while we're there. Wakandan science outreach program in Queens, make it happen.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 18, 2018

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Kai Tave posted:

Shuri should bag on Stark's tech for being "quaint" but geek out about Peter Parker's webbing formula, then make him a snazzy Afro-futurist spider suit to go with it.

I'm 100% here for this.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Koalas March posted:

God yes. If there are no Shuri/Peter scenes in Infinity War I'm not sure why they bothered doing the movie.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Koalas March posted:

Kai Tave posted:

^^^The portable hole stones in First Class were pretty rad.

e; also Miles Morales while we're there. Wakandan science outreach program in Queens, make it happen.

Now I'm sad, because this probably isn't going to happen but it absolutely, 100% should. I want an entire movie of this, Peter and Shuri (and Miles, while I'm dreaming) teaming up to take down Tombstone, who is exploiting the New York outreach center. Shuri designs a Panther-esque nanosuit for Spiderman with a bunch of high-tech weapons and gadgets, but Mac Gargan (who I forgot was even in the first one) steals it and becomes Scorpion or whatever. gently caress now I'm not going to be able to stop thinking about this.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 18, 2018

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe the laugh at Coachella was so big I just couldn't hear a second part?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm pretty sure that was a direct attack on Trumpers when he says wise nations build bridges and foolish ones build barriers.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Beachcomber posted:

I'm pretty sure that was a direct attack on Trumpers when he says wise nations build bridges and foolish ones build barriers.
Its a direct reference to what Pope Francis said in response to Trump's presidential campaign in 2016

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I liked Black Panther, but a few comments:

I didn't like T'Challa taking a plane to the top of the waterfall. I know Wakanda is advanced but this traditional ceremony didn't have ancient kings hitching a ride in a helicopter in the past. Make T'Challa climb the mountain before his fight. He is ascending to the throne, you know. Plus it fits better with the ending of the Killmonger fight. He climbs the mountain before he is thrown off the waterfall.

That said, I disliked the second waterfall fight with Killmonger. We just saw this. We've already seen a waterfall fight. We've already seen the ritual sap the panther power. Movie, stop repeating yourself. Also, its the ancient power of a mythical panther god, not a light switch. Quite flicking that poo poo on and off.

Killmonger dying fits because his story was over. However, I'm not ready to say Klaw is really dead. Klaw dies without ever having a meaningful interaction with Black Panther? They set up his sonic hand to break a glass case and talk about vibranium sonic resonance, but don't do anything with the two? I wouldn't be surprised if he's the bad guy in a sequel with a new vibranium arm threatening to earthquake Wakanda to pieces. He and Bucky can be metal arm buddies.

I didn't care for Doctor Strange because it had too many sight gags and jokey jokes. I liked Ragnarok, but again less is more. Same for The Last Jedi. It was nice that Black Panther only had the one (DELETE THAT FOOTAGE.)

Despite being 2h15m it felt short. The last act felt rushed and I think rhino guy needed more time. How did he go from being friends with T'Challa in the beginning to siding with Killmonger? Again this sets up Klaw to be someone important.

With $85M on Friday its a safe bet Black Panther gets a sequel. It'd be neat to see T'Challa take over for Tony Stark as the linchpin of the MCU starting with Phase Four.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just saw Black Panther and I liked it. My only criticism is that I wish we saw a bit more of Wakanda itself aside from a few sets.

But Killmonger was a bit hard to pin down, until I saw a few posts like this

SonicRulez posted:

Killmonger is great. He's so so great. I feel like in spite of the way he went out, he understood T'Challa in those final moments. I liked his decision to die quite a bit. Despite all of his posturing, he revealed himself in that last fight. He was a scared kid (hence taking that form when he ate the heart fruit) lashing out at a world that he felt owed him better. It's so hard not to sympathize with a man like that and I'm glad the movie didn't bother trying to force it.

And you know what? It sounds shallow, but angry and scared kid lashing out at the world is exactly it. Basically, so many of the things he says are at odds with what he does. He goes off about rhetoric about uplifting minorities, but he works with a racist until it wasn't convenient anymore (thought it was more like it was convenient to kill him). Not to mention he signed up for the military to go out to another country and got so good at killing people there he made a game out of it. He wants the Wakanda throne, but he could give less than a poo poo once everyone started fighting each other, and burned away all the Heart Shaped Herbs, the legacy of the Black Panthers themselves, purely out of spite. He talks of overthrowing the oppressors, but uses their language ("The sun won't set on the Wakandan empire"). Even when he died, he wanted to be buried at sea, like his ancestors that threw themselves off the slave ships; He never truly considered himself a part of Wakanda. Really, the only constant is what he says in his dream: "Everyone dies"

Also, ditto on being glad that Killmonger is dead. His story is over. There is nothing to say about the character.

ALSO, Shuri is the official shitposter of the MCU and I love it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kai Tave posted:

That's how we should get Moon Girl too.

tin can made man posted:

edit: I don't think there's any tech even in the Actual Space Aliens From Space parts of the MCU that rivals Wakanda, except for FTL space vessels and maybe Thanos's cool floating chair

I think intergalactic travel in the matter of hours is pretty much the highest level of technology we've seen. Plus there's teleporters.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I like that Wakanda is basically an entire people made up of smartasses.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Vision is a pretty advanced piece of technology too tbh, though maybe it's cheating when you have an Infinity Stone grafted to your forehead.

twistedmentat posted:

That's how we should get Moon Girl too.

Agreed, but only if she comes as a package deal with Devil Dinosaur.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah, that line was in the UK screening as well.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Heathen posted:

Despite being 2h15m it felt short. The last act felt rushed and I think rhino guy needed more time. How did he go from being friends with T'Challa in the beginning to siding with Killmonger? Again this sets up Klaw to be someone important.

With $85M on Friday its a safe bet Black Panther gets a sequel. It'd be neat to see T'Challa take over for Tony Stark as the linchpin of the MCU starting with Phase Four.

This one is mostly straight forward. Klaw killed W'Kabi's parents when he stole all the vibranium. He wanted vengeance. T'Challa promised him his head or at least to return him (probably so W'Kabi could kill him himself). He failed. That's why he threw a fit T'Challa came back empty handed. Then he instantly joined Killmonger's side because Killmonger introduced himself by bringing him Klaw's body. Essentially, he finally got the king he asked for. One who would do what he wanted. It's selfish and it's not the strongest character motivation, but I get it.

Aphrodite posted:

He died in 1985 and stayed dead, so outside of cartoon appearances he's been long gone now.

He's been dead 12 years longer than he was around.

Really? I didn't know comics had that kind of restraint.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
So I’m super behind due to having a one year old but I just watched Ragnarok LST night and thought it was loving awesome. I loved the characterization of Korg being just a laid back guy rather than being a giant scream monster and wasn’t expecting that.

Also the ship at the end reminded me of Ronan’s.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Really enjoyed Black Panther, Shuri & Okoye were my favourite characters from the film.

Once Killmonger turned on Klaw the plot became very straightforward which was still very enjoyable but predictable. I was hoping they'd keep Klaw around and possibly hack off another limb- he was just OTT hamming it up and I loved it.

If we ever have a chance at returning Marvel villains I'd like:

Hela
Red Skull
Kilgrave (From Jessica Jones)
Zola
Madam Masque (From Agent Carter)
Ayesha (The golden people from GoTG2)

Extended Cameos from:
The Mandarin (Absolutely loved the Iron Man 3 version. Hilarious trolling of the audience.)
Vulture
Bartroc (He was kind of hot.)
Grandmaster
Some of the Inhumans cast being ingloriously offed.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Heathen posted:

I know Wakanda is advanced but this traditional ceremony didn't have ancient kings hitching a ride in a helicopter in the past.

I mean... are you sure?

The gap between Wakanda and everybody else is narrowing, which means it used to be even bigger. I get the feeling they've had flying machines for a long while now.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Black Panther is currently sold out in every theater in Metro Detroit for like the next couple showings. I ended up driving across town to see it again with my Mom and brother.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Trying to see it again with my dad in IMAX and there's a massive line, wow

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Wow just got out of the movie. It's drat good. Definitely gonna see it again with family.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Black Panther is currently sold out in every theater in Metro Detroit for like the next couple showings. I ended up driving across town to see it again with my Mom and brother.

I went and saw it last night and the crowds were backed up outside the building. More people were in my theater than for The Last Jedi (although I think it was showing on fewer screens than TLJ).

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Apparently the Thursday 7:00 showing hasn't caught on with the mainstream audience it's never like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Jesus, Black Panther is expecting to make as much domestic gross in 4 days as Justice League did total. That’s nuts.

Gonna see it on Tuesday, can’t wait.

• Locked thread