Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Even if she isn't my vassal or in my court? The only "declare war" option I had on the Byzantine emperor was an embargo.

Oh, no, I was just pointing out that you don't need a regency or female ruler to use a strong claim.

In this circumstance I think you actually don't want your wife to become Basilissa because if she has another son who is born in the purple then your first son won't inherit the empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Perhaps it'd be easier to just get a new wife? Alternatively why does it matter if she is excommunicated?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Robot Dog posted:

My wife is so fat she's been excommunicated 5 times. I keep buttering up the pope until he'll lift it and then he just does it again.

yo mama so fat god abhors her being

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe if you kick the pope out of Italy, he'll cool off.

Or rather, the next Pope will cool off.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Xinder posted:

please

please just stop
in year 787, wow

just wow

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
It's a weird bug, I think.

Every month or two he declares this war, then right as he does it ends inconclusively when the cb becomes invalid. A month or two later, he does it again. I'm a child so I can do nothing but click "I refuse to be blackmailed" every time and then nobody ever raises an army.

It's been driving me crazy, though.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Xinder posted:

It's a weird bug, I think.

Every month or two he declares this war, then right as he does it ends inconclusively when the cb becomes invalid. A month or two later, he does it again. I'm a child so I can do nothing but click "I refuse to be blackmailed" every time and then nobody ever raises an army.

It's been driving me crazy, though.

I would start over, tbh, especially that early in the game. Not sure that's gonna go away, and as I can attest from the game where I had new caravans/eunuchs showing up in my court every two months, getting the same event over and over again gets old pretty quick.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
If it doesn't stop once all those in the faction are dead (which I plan to see to as soon as I am of age), I'll do that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

There is a sale and the op hasn't been updated since 2015, but all the DLC I don't have yet has come out since 2015. :argh: With some expansions you get some of the stuff just because, and other stuff only if you buy the expansions. But which expansions to buy?

Horse Lords: Silk road, tributaries, nomads
Concave: Dukes become bigger assholes, education changes, diplomacy changes
The Reaper's Due: Disease and . . . pets?
Monks and Mystics: Societies and artifacts
Jade Dragon: More silk road, dealing with distant china. Most expensive since it's new, probably won't get this one yet.

If you were only going to get one or two of these, which would you say adds the most content to most games?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Conclave is really fun and makes internal politics meaningful. It's usually no longer just "appoint the highest stat guy as advisor" - you have to weigh who can do the job vs. who you piss off by not appointing them, and how they will vote on the council.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Facebook Aunt posted:

There is a sale and the op hasn't been updated since 2015, but all the DLC I don't have yet has come out since 2015. :argh: With some expansions you get some of the stuff just because, and other stuff only if you buy the expansions. But which expansions to buy?

Horse Lords: Silk road, tributaries, nomads
Concave: Dukes become bigger assholes, education changes, diplomacy changes
The Reaper's Due: Disease and . . . pets?
Monks and Mystics: Societies and artifacts
Jade Dragon: More silk road, dealing with distant china. Most expensive since it's new, probably won't get this one yet.

If you were only going to get one or two of these, which would you say adds the most content to most games?

I don't know about strictly content, but Reaper's Due is packed with usefulness, just in the court physician alone.

edit: Also what he^^^ said about Conclave. It's real fun.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Quoting my old post back on page 482 with my DLC recommendations. The sale price total might not be right since I can't really check it on my phone, but the recommendations of Way of Life, Conclave, Reaper's Due, and Old Gods still stand.

I am hella PEEVED posted:

Must Have:
  • Way of Life - Adds a bunch of options and events. Party all the time with your vassals, be a grognard wargamer, get a dog, lose all your money investing in bitcoins some artisans, get the Necronomicon, duel your shithead son.
  • Conclave - Gives your vassals and council some teeth and makes you actually manage them. Also changes childhood education so your dynastic eugenics program isn't popping out strong geniuses for eternity. Steam users really dislike this expansion, but most of the "annoying" changes were included in the patch alongside this DLC and got fixed later.
Pretty Good: - Still worth it, even off-sale, but aren't vital.
  • Reaper's Due - Fills out the disease system. Hire a doctor to cut your face off to cure the flu. Build hospitals, which give you a chance of maybe not losing everyone to the Black Death. Also, become immortal, reincarnated, or try to cheat death in a game of chess.
  • The Old Gods - Play as Vikings (and other Pagans). Also unlocks 867 as a start date, which is a good start date.
Play As X: - Wait for a sale to hit. Most aren't super vital, but do add depth and give you some other things to do.
  • Sword of Islam - Play as Muslims.
  • The Republic - Play as Merchant Republics (if you do plan on this, make sure to have Legacy of Rome as well, as Retinues are very helpful)
  • Sons of Abraham - Adds playable Jewish Leaders, Pope mechanics and adds events for all 3 of the Abrahamic religions.
  • Rajas of India - Play as India. Way better with this last patch now that Tibet exists.
  • Horse Lords - Play as Nomads. Become figurative Genghis Khan. Also adds in the Silk Road, if you play in the East and don't have Jade Dragon. Can also conquer tributaries, so you can bully smaller neighbors for their ducats and not have to deal with them as vassals.
Buy It On Sale Only
  • Legacy of Rome - Adds in Retinues, which are a standing army and pretty good (especially for Merchant Republics). Can mend the great schism and restore the Roman Empire. Adds some Byzantine events. Retinues are really good and almost push this to "Pretty Good".
  • Sunset Invasion - The Aztecs invade the west. Basically the Mongol Horde, but for the British Isles and Mainland Europe. I like it, but totally skipable.
  • Charlemagne - Start in 769. You will end up with giant blobs owned by giant empires with this start date. Adds Viceroyalties, Custom Kingdoms & Empires. Playing as Charlemagne is fun and it has custom events. Beyond that, not super important.
  • Monks and Mystics - Can be very lacking depending on what religion you play as. Most will have maybe 1 or 2 secret societies, and they are basically all clones of each other. Can also secretly convert to religions. Your courtiers can do this to, and its basically a virus in your kingdom, so make sure you are burning heretics as if they were a new fuel source. Adds a couple of new counselor missions. Highlights include getting a gun and praying to Satan to restore the balls your physician cut off to cure a bellyache.
  • Jade Dragon - This just came out. Allows you to interact with China, which is an off map power. The stuff you get from China is super strong. Updates the silk road as well. Also, adds new Casus Belli, which make expanding as Catholics (and everyone else, but especially Catholics) easier. It Does lead to a lot of unpretty borders and blobs though. The option can be turned off; however. Only really worth it if you are playing East of the Byzantines so you can interact with China. Its also a newer DLC and thus, $15.
Assorted Stuff (Mostly stuff that should be in the base game, please only buy on sale)
  • Ruler Designer - Not really vital and you cant use it to get achievements. Get this on sale, maybe.
  • Customization Pack - Change your leaders haircut, shield, kingdom, and dynasty name. Slightly more worth it than Ruler designer, but still sale only.
  • Unit/Portrait/Shield/Music Packs - There used to be separate packs that came out alongside DLCs. Combining them is nice, I guess. I'd rank them as Music > Portrait > Shield > Unit.
  • EUIV Converter - Do you play EU4 and want to continue to there? Can be some delay with getting this updated if a DLC makes a big change. Not worth it otherwise.
E-Books
No. You get no in-game content, its just e-books. Read the thread, there are plenty of short stories here.

TL;DR The DLC you should own are: Way of Life, Conclave, Reaper's Due, The Old Gods. Those, plus the base game comes out to $33.95 USD while on sale. If you don't mind spending another $4.99 I would also pick up The Sword of Islam, which brings the grand total up to $38.94 USD. You'll have most of the leaders available to start as and have plenty of content to try out.

EDIT: Swapped around Old Gods & Sons of Abraham. Added tl;dr section.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Does anyone have any thoughts on event modpacks? I'd like to see a lot more variety.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Thanks for the recommendations. I picked up conclave and reaper's due, and now everyone has small pox. A++

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Vengarr posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on event modpacks? I'd like to see a lot more variety.

Are there any now that VIET's gone? I know there was some weird poo poo in there, but I always liked it for adding things I wanted and not adding things I don't, which is a problem I have with most enhancement mods, personally.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Is Ireland 1066 still considered tutorial island?

My friend just got this game and wanted me to help getting him started. I played ck2 a lot a couple of years ago but I haven't touched it since conclave so I'm not really up to date. Are the Dlc after conclave worth getting?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Fader Movitz posted:

Are the Dlc after conclave worth getting?

Check, like, four posts above yours to answer this question.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The Aztecs came to our shores with numbers, chocolate, and syphilis. They steamrolled Britannia, and it was only through quick thinking that Conmacc the Pious spared his realm the horrors that were visited on others. Ingratiating himself with Huetlotoani Tzompantzin, he and his sons were granted land and titles beyond their wildest dreams, mostly due to being the only king-level vassal and capable of accepting vassal dukes. Finally, the grindstone of Europe and a defensive pact involving every single power west of the Black Sea wore down the mighty Aztec war machine, and when they lost an independence revolt, King Glaschu saw his chance. First, a few well-placed holy wars took the last Christian realms in England before the empire could regain them. Then, after plotting to overthrow the emperor for a few years with no success (It never let me fire the ultimatum, regardless of how many men I had or how many other dukes I blackmailed into joining my faction.), he simply decided "gently caress it," and declared independence. The battles were long and hard, and reports were rolling in of Aztecs in Irish Sicily taking the undefended castles and towns. But with proper focus and more than a few mercenary companies, sieges of English territories won us the war. Ten years later, and King Glaschu had saved up enough money to hire even more mercenaries and declare his true goal: Subjugation of the entire empire.

All hail Glaschu Ua Neill, first of his name, the Sword of Quetzalcoatl, Emperor of Alba and Lands Beyond.

Andalusia is also England, first taken in a crusade by King Dubhglais Ua Neill the Hammer, but his son King Dubhglais II Son of Satan became Bedouin, so they're sultanates now. Also note that light blue bit to the east. Temujin showed up and immediately rolled Tibet in a carpet. I'm not sure whether to give away all my non-Britannia property and pop some corn, or try and consolidate into a real major power.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 19, 2018

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Got a weird bug in the latest (?) version of After the End. Even if my army is bigger than the besieged territory (like twice as big), it keeps saying it can't besiege it until it is larger than the enemy garrison. I can besiege and occupy other provinces, just not the one I am fighting a war for. Doesn't seem to affect the AI though. Any ideas?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey, I haven't played in like a year or something, but I got the bug again since my dad's watching Schama's History of Britain and I see it's on sale. I don't have Jade Dragon, Conclave, Monks and Mystics, and Reapers Due. I stopped playing because it had gotten a little too focused on personal roleplaying over politics, and I didn't really like the sound of the changes to war. Has the game gotten better, and which DLCs are worth getting?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, I'm not sure if you think its too focused on personal roleplaying, but for Politics, the Conclave expansion makes your council more complicated. Strong vassals will expect a seat on your council but will also abuse that seat to try to increase their own power (usually at your expense) via law changes, so you're usually stuck trying to strike a balance of filling your council with A) People actually good at the job B) Influential Vassals C) Loyal Yes Men who'll vote the way you want.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Hey, I haven't played in like a year or something, but I got the bug again since my dad's watching Schama's History of Britain and I see it's on sale. I don't have Jade Dragon, Conclave, Monks and Mystics, and Reapers Due. I stopped playing because it had gotten a little too focused on personal roleplaying over politics, and I didn't really like the sound of the changes to war. Has the game gotten better, and which DLCs are worth getting?

Look seven posts up?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

So I've been playing this game since I bought it, and I've bought all the DLC already, but I'm not sure what DLC are worth buying. Is conclave good? Do you think I would like way of life? Which is better, horse lords or Rome??? Tia~

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
To break away from the same question being asked 4 times on one page:

My mother was deposed as Queen of Italy and I just recently came of age. I'd like to take back my birthright, but almost nobody is joining my faction to install myself as King. I can't seem to find any options to blackmail or bribe others into joining my faction either. What's the deal?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Xinder posted:

To break away from the same question being asked 4 times on one page:

My mother was deposed as Queen of Italy and I just recently came of age. I'd like to take back my birthright, but almost nobody is joining my faction to install myself as King. I can't seem to find any options to blackmail or bribe others into joining my faction either. What's the deal?

Nobody likes you more than they like the usurper. Butter them up, or sow dissent.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Slightly different question: I said screw it and plopped down the $80 for the full package since it was on sale. But since I have never touched any of these games before, is it best to just start with the base game and add expansions once I'm familiar with it? I Had fun last night with everything turned on but had no clue what the hell I was actually doing.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

mrfreeze posted:

Slightly different question: I said screw it and plopped down the $80 for the full package since it was on sale. But since I have never touched any of these games before, is it best to just start with the base game and add expansions once I'm familiar with it? I Had fun last night with everything turned on but had no clue what the hell I was actually doing.

You're probably not really going to understand anything for a while even with none of it turned on, so might as well go nuts and have all of the content from the get-go.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

AnoHito posted:

You're probably not really going to understand anything for a while even with none of it turned on, so might as well go nuts and have all of the content from the get-go.

Yeah, pretty much this. All turning stuff off would mean is having to relearn parts of the game after you click them on, so just pick someone in 1066 Ireland or deep in the HRE, tell the Aztecs not to show up, and bumble around for a while.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Playing merchant republics is more fun than I thought it would be, but playing as Venice is awful. Whenever I'm at war with someone they completely ignore my attacking army and instead sail straight to Venice. Then I can't fight them without making an amphibious landing and if I lose my entire army vanishes.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Whenever I'm at war with someone they completely ignore my attacking army and instead sail straight to Venice. Then I can't fight them without making an amphibious landing and if I lose my entire army vanishes.

Yes you can. Just dock your boats.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Really you should just have your army (aka retinue) in Venice in the first place.

Various Meat Products posted:

Yes you can. Just dock your boats.
That still counts and gets you -50.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mrfreeze posted:

nah, most of the content just unlocks various other people to play as that aren't catholic feudal lords. so in your average game you'll only see like, 40% of the content anyway

not knowing what you're doing is just the first dozen or so hours of ck2

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
New Dev Diary on changes made to the Baltics. Also, a dev confirms plans to do stuff with Austria.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
So, uh, don't play as someone holding a viceroyalty title on iron man I guess. Playing as the Duke of Trebizond I had a grandson of my dynasty who was Duke of Adrianopolis that was set to inherit my counties in Trebizond plus like 4 more sons from later wives in my court and it was game over when I died, I guess due to some technicality involving my highest title going to the emperor and the rest not going to a son?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

mrfreeze posted:

Play the Byzantines in the 867 start. It's basically easy mode. You start as an emperor and have a lot of small neighbor to holy war and such.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Play the Byzantines in the 867 start. It's basically easy mode. You start as an emperor and have a lot of small neighbor to holy war and such.

Actaully, don't holy war them. They're occupying your dejure territory. Just claim it as normal. Makes it less likey for other muslim states to intervene.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Can you still revoke ducal titles as the byzantines for free? That was the best poo poo when I first started playing just shuffle all your doux around every succession and never have a civil war. It's very unbyzantine

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

Can you still revoke ducal titles as the byzantines for free? That was the best poo poo when I first started playing just shuffle all your doux around every succession and never have a civil war. It's very unbyzantine

Yeah that's due to imperial administration. Why do that though when you can do it once, redistribute viceroyalties and then just balance vassals out as various strategos and despots die rather than having to actually revoke?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Honky Dong Country posted:

Yeah that's due to imperial administration. Why do that though when you can do it once, redistribute viceroyalties and then just balance vassals out as various strategos and despots die rather than having to actually revoke?

disable internal wars as well and split up titles so nobody has more than 1 province to their name Let none oppose you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notmetalenough
Feb 26, 2010
I'm playing a game as Ragnar Lodbrok (earliest start) and I have 4 kingdom crowns at the moment (sweden, norway, denmark and frisia). What happens if I want to become a merchant republic. Do I keep all 4 kingdoms?

If I only keep one, which one should I keep?

I'm working my way up the tribal control laws... my understanding is I have to get to Absolute before I can become a republic?

• Locked thread