Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
The Western media's push for war's influence is growing. Canadian coverage of the Opening Ceremonies on CBC had the announcers spend the entirety of Korea's entrance saying that nobody wants reunification, the North is just fooling us all, they're getting ready to strike, etc.

I really hope I'm wrong, but this rhetoric is exactly what we heard about Iraq before the outright calls for war started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Well, he ain't wrong on the first two.

Technically the peasants from the North'd be cool with it under Southern jurisdiction, maybe (Heyhey, no more intestinal parasites!) if they weren't, y'know, constantly bombarded with propaganda.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chances on at least one North Korean athlete mysteriously missing the plane back home?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

chitoryu12 posted:

Chances on at least one North Korean athlete mysteriously missing the plane back home?

I think they’ll be good for awhile. They’re getting a surprising amount of good media coverage with all this Olympics stuff and the visit so they’d be dumb to squander that now.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
(RT) Video from a DPRK channel if you're a weirdo like me who likes to watch this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlBbjoOAqbs

sleep with the vicious posted:

The Western media's push for war's influence is growing. Canadian coverage of the Opening Ceremonies on CBC had the announcers spend the entirety of Korea's entrance saying that nobody wants reunification, the North is just fooling us all, they're getting ready to strike, etc.

I really hope I'm wrong, but this rhetoric is exactly what we heard about Iraq before the outright calls for war started.
I see this as ineffectual blustering as North Korea runs the diplomatic table.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 11, 2018

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
The latest controversy seems to be the cheerleaders.

https://twitter.com/GadiNBC/status/962306928763432961
https://twitter.com/mwb524/status/962446607903010818

I wonder what they're saying.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

sleep with the vicious posted:

I don't think one channel's running commentary of the games is gonna convince everyone that we need to strike North korea

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

FourLeaf posted:

The latest controversy seems to be the cheerleaders.

https://twitter.com/GadiNBC/status/962306928763432961
https://twitter.com/mwb524/status/962446607903010818

I wonder what they're saying.

Who is that mask supposed to represent? A young Kim Il Sung?

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

Who is that mask supposed to represent? A young Kim Il Sung?

That's what some South Koreans are saying...but it doesn't really look like him, and I can't imagine a North Korean ever pretending to be Kim il Sung.

mediadave fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 11, 2018

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/962840314871414785

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe someone showed Pence this:

GrimGypsy posted:

i knew I saved this for a reason lmbo

(I have no idea what that's from.)

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
drat, North Korea is winning.

e. for now anyway. poo poo is going to get super ugly as climate change really gets nasty.

Telephones fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 12, 2018

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Maybe someone showed Pence this:

(I have no idea what that's from.)

Wh... Why is attack japan a related option and why is it so popular

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

Eox posted:

my best guess is from some ultra right wing Korean nationalist group that no one takes very seriously

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I watched Operation Chromite last night and I wish it had made all the American generals look even older and be exactly what the DPRK character thought (that MacArthur was just doing it to be president and all of them were reliving the glory days of WWII) but it was too much call of duty and not enough Korean solidarity. Are there any similar movies that show the communists in a more positive light (you know in a sort of IRA “I can see why you fight” kind of way) or is that not a common South Korean cinema theme?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Eox posted:

The picture's at least 10 years old, and I believe was from a semi-satirical Japanese TV show.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I'll believe a "US is ready to talk to North Korea" story when the talks happen. So far every "ready to talk" story keeps getting "clarified" with "we're ready to talk if they stop testing missiles and are ready to discuss completely scrapping their nuclear program."

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

fishmech posted:

The picture's at least 10 years old, and I believe was from a semi-satirical Japanese TV show.

Yup. It not even being in Korean is a good tell.:lol:

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yup. It not even being in Korean is a good tell.:lol:

Lower left corner of that pic says the source is from some group called Korean Society Opinion Institute.

No idea who this group is or what TV show it's from. I suspect the group maybe a little bit biased.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I always assumed men's weekly magazines level of scientific rigor in that poll and everything else like it on Japanese TV.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've heard there is a surprisingly (to me) pro-DPRK contingent among Japanese Koreans, with pro-DPRK schools and such.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

symphoniccacophony posted:

Lower left corner of that pic says the source is from some group called Korean Society Opinion Institute.

No idea who this group is or what TV show it's from. I suspect the group maybe a little bit biased.

Yah but who knows if that was a real research institute asking a dumb question for the show to get a wacky result, a fake one doing the same, or a real one asking sincere questions and just happening to get a wacky result suitable for the Japanese show?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

I've heard there is a surprisingly (to me) pro-DPRK contingent among Japanese Koreans, with pro-DPRK schools and such.

Yep: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chongryon

Though their membership and popularity have declined over time.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

People tend to be pro-"If you ever want to see your family again", in my experience.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Eox posted:

South Korea and Japan have sour relations due to Imperial Japan's brutal rule over the Korean Peninsula before Korea became independent again after WW2.

Recently Abe told Moon he thought SK-USA military drills shouldn't be delayed and Moon told him to bud out of South Korea's domestic affairs.

They're also budding heads over the 2015 agreement of reparations for South Korean women taken as "comfort women" by Imperial Japan. Abe wants Moon to carry it out, but Moon feels it's flawed and doesn't resolve the issue.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

The cynical among us would wonder when like ever Korea will ever consider it resolved. Especially given they kinda agreed to drop the matter in the 60s after a fairly hefty settlement.

(Spoilers: As long as Japan has cash, don't hold your breath)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What is the real support base for banging the comfort women drum in SK? My impression is that it’s mostly driven by nationalist groups that are relatively small but important for governments to stay in the good graces of?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think they’ll be good for awhile. They’re getting a surprising amount of good media coverage with all this Olympics stuff and the visit so they’d be dumb to squander that now.

I think he meant the athlete making every attempt they can to escape, not the government killing or jailing one for performing badly.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

They’re getting a surprising amount of good media coverage with all this Olympics stuff and the visit

To a rather unnerving degree, actually.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-2018-northkorea-sister/head-held-high-kims-sister-returns-to-north-korea-idUSKBN1FW1BC?il=0

Reuters posted:

A prim, young woman with a high forehead and hair half swept back quietly gazes at the throngs of people pushing for a glimpse of her, a faint smile on her lips and eyelids low as four bodyguards jostle around her.

https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status/962702986794405889

(The screencapped tweet seems to have been deleted.)

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/10/asia/kim-sister-olympics/index.html

CNN posted:

Kim Jong Un's sister is stealing the show at the Winter Olympics

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 12, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

WarpedNaba posted:

(Spoilers: As long as Japan has cash, don't hold your breath)

The groups still talking about it explicitly rejected the cash. The South Korean government even put the money Japan sent on hold and used their own money to send to the surviving Comfort Women that actually accepted it. This issue has nothing to do with money, what they want is an actual apology.

icantfindaname posted:

What is the real support base for banging the comfort women drum in SK? My impression is that it’s mostly driven by nationalist groups that are relatively small but important for governments to stay in the good graces of?

Uh no, this is a huge issue that transcends most political lines other than the hardest line Park Geun-hye supporters. The recent agreement was widely condemned in Korea from the moment it was announced--doubly so now that it's clear how inept PGH was--and not at all helped by how obviously insincire the whole thing was anyway, with high level Japanese officials making lovely comments pretty much from the moment the ink was dry (the loving foreign minister called them prostitutes like a month after, before any of Korea's back peddling even). It seems like Japan wants to basically send along hush money and then get to pretend the entire thing never happened, which is pretty much exactly the opposite of what any Koreans I've ever talked to about it want.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Korea hates Japan to the point it was illegal to own nintendo games until like the 2000s. Korea really really really does not like Japan.

Like, it isn't just comfort women, the whole occupation from like 1890 to 1945 was nonstop over the top brutal, it's just easy to sum that up when people talk about it by mentioning specifically the time japan gathered 300,000 women then raped them to death.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Why the gently caress would Korea want Japan's money anyway? Japan is a broke.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Eox posted:

Once upon a time Tsar Whogivesafuck made a blatant land-grab into Korea, taking it from the Japanese.

Koreans laid flowers for the invading Russian troops because they weren't those loving demon turkJapanese.

To this day, people who are fifth-generation descendents of Koreans are tracked and monitored throughout Japan.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 12, 2018

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

EdithUpwards posted:

Why the gently caress would Korea want Japan's money anyway? Japan is a broke.

Japan is like the third richest country in the world.

Also it's not about the money. Groups who represent the comfort women want Japan to admit legal accountability, and pay reparations to Korea similar to what happened with Germany post WWII. Japan has been willing to pay money under the current deal, but it's more like hush money. As in, we'll pay you money if you take down statues honoring the comfort women and stop making a fuss about our WWII sex slave program publicly. Not exactly a deal that resolves anything (also the comfort women and their supporters haven't been included in the negotiations anyways)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Legal accountability under what laws and what jurisdiction? A quick scan of wikipedia says that German reparations took the same form of lump sum, state to state bilateral agreements and quasi-private compensation funds as Japan has done

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_reparations

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 12, 2018

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

See sections 4 and 5 of this Amnesty report

To quote the specific demands the comfort women have sought

You can also look on the website of the Korean Council

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
For anyone interested, this is a very long but informative paper on the history of NK's nuclear program and diplomatic efforts around it, from 1966-present, and why they succeeded when theorists predicted otherwise. https://tnsr.org/2018/02/north-korea-defied-theoretical-odds-can-learn-successful-nuclearization/#article

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/martyn_williams/status/963814776546578432

lol

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/fravel/status/965295130470207489

quote:

The head of U.S. Army Pacific at Fort Shafter and his staff have been tasked with creating a noncombatant evacuation operation plan for Americans in South Korea should war occur on the peninsula, the top military commander in the Pacific said.

Hawaii-based Gen. Robert Brown is developing what's known as the "NEO" plan and will see it through to fruition, Adm. Harry Harris, who leads U.S. Pacific Command on Oahu, said at a congressional hearing Wednesday.

quote:

Harris, who made the comments at a hearing on military posture and security in the Pacific, said the Army and other services have moved munitions to South Korea to the point that "I'm beginning to worry about munitions storage capacity

Seems to me like we're getting ready to go to war.

Edit: Paragraph mentioning how more munitions has been sent over as well.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'd also note the paragraph about how the U.S. Army has moved extra munitions to South Korea.