Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

GreatGreen posted:

$5 grand is like the upper ceiling price you’d pay for an entirely custom made guitar that is personally tailored for you after months of iterative design and testing, where you then personally get to choose every piece of wood and component, and it’s like the last guitar you ever plan to play, and then just before you die, you ceremoniously bestow upon an heir.

A company with notoriously poo poo QC asking $5k for a goddamn gimmick side guitar off the rack is Dr. Evil ransom level retarded.

The designs are kinda cool though.

This is starting to remind me of a (probably) Simpsons episode or old joke where they had to raise $20,000 or something so the kids set up a lemonade stand and price one glass at $20,000 because "we only have to sell one this way!".

That stuff would be perfect territory for an Epiphone so you could add a kitschy firebird decal on it and not feel guilty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYLBjScgb7o

AKA 40+ Furbys saying this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koxkg7C216c

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

This is hilarious music poo poo, I am still laughing.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Look Mum is a great channel.

Have a $5 distortion pedal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fin8Yno69pY

And a good use for a destroyed guitar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sBRj7amKdI

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

lol

only 2650

edit: it's literally called "The Grifter"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Any Jazzmaster/Telecaster type that costs that much and doesn't come with a Mastery Bridge needs to gently caress right off.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

What the gently caress is going on with that whole headstock situation

Also since I don't think we've posted it in this thread and because pluffnub keeps doing things

pluffnub keeps doing things and they're all really funny

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 17, 2018

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I just noticed that those new Fender models that were basically just mashups...Are 2 grand. lol

Guitar's are such bullshit.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Malaria posted:

I just noticed that those new Fender models that were basically just mashups...Are 2 grand. lol

Guitar's are such bullshit.

it would have been way cooler if they were built in mexico and only cost like 800-1000

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJfraNCvR8s

adam nooooooooooo

the drums sound good though

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Paying gigs are paying gigs. It's not even the worst thing he's had to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT_u9MjNnPE

But imagine being a college educated musician who's mastered his instrument and playing next to Steve Terreberry

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Honestly while mild, that's a lot more pleasing to listen to than this which just feels complex for the sake of being that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP66CIzjOS8

Kind of like Dirty Loops covers.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

Paying gigs are paying gigs. It's not even the worst thing he's had to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT_u9MjNnPE

But imagine being a college educated musician who's mastered his instrument and playing next to Steve Terreberry

your call is important to us

please stay on the line and wait for the next available representative

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

How much for a zero aesthetics bare metal HM2 clone?

Is $75 reasonable? I’ve been doing painted enclosures and haven’t check the market. Also don’t forget the DOD clone is tits and cheap to boot.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Is $75 reasonable? I’ve been doing painted enclosures and haven’t check the market. Also don’t forget the DOD clone is tits and cheap to boot.

I'd pay 75 for one.

Setup a reverb shop and get rich man

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Malaria posted:

I'd pay 75 for one.

Setup a reverb shop and get rich man

There’s a dude who runs a successful company solely on making HM-2 clones (his customers are usually young and love his “edgy” persona) and he’s a lunatic who harasses and threatens anyone online who dares to make HM-2 clones. Also his pedals are poorly made garbage (lovely solder joints, autorouted layouts... bush league poo poo). Not to name names but he is a “Lone Wolf” and I encourage everyone to deny him business.

Sorry if this is a bit inside baseball.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

There’s a dude who runs a successful company solely on making HM-2 clones (his customers are usually young and love his “edgy” persona) and he’s a lunatic who harasses and threatens anyone online who dares to make HM-2 clones. Also his pedals are poorly made garbage (lovely solder joints, autorouted layouts... bush league poo poo). Not to name names but he is a “Lone Wolf” and I encourage everyone to deny him business.

I don’t know about the drama but..... :allears:

His pedals seem cool, too bad about the craziness.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
His name is Joe and he's a major big baby bitch, feel free trash him anywhere, he's a joke in my town.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Just bought a Walrus Audio Red - seems to do a pretty good job of being a HM-2 clone with a few bells and whistles and some good art. They seem to hover around 99 or so.

75 for a bare-bones HM-2 would be pretty great. It’s a good pedal, and I think BYOC hasn’t sold their clone kit for a while.

Hell, you could build a cheap silkscreen rig, come up with a suitably ridiculous graphic/name that hits the appropriate intersection of ‘zany’ and ‘referring to the 1990s Stockholm death metal scene, and make money. Bonus if you add more knobs - like, seven seems to be a logical next step. Plus it should just endlessly play a loop of a drunk guy calling you a loving poser if you turn any of the pots counter-clockwise.

gently caress, use transparent orange acrylic housing, screen labels in black, and call it the Orange Transparent Chainsaw. Coat the circuit in black resin, charge 600 bucks, and get the weird tone-chaser dollars.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
all this reminds me i got an hm-2 for $45 off ebay back in 2008

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ha I'd consider an acrylic housing but people really, really get up in arms about how sturdy the enclosure is for the pedal that will never leave their bedroom as if they are Neurosis on tour.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I paid far too much for a Japanese HM2 which sounds...exactly the same as my one from Taiwan.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe

The Muppets On PCP posted:

love too be a 50 year old man calling people skeleton faggots on youtube for questioning my decision to make fun of another goober for being fat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3nlydWjmgE

What the gently caress is going on with those two guys at the moment?

I think it counts as Stupid music poo poo regardless of who's in the right.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Ha I'd consider an acrylic housing but people really, really get up in arms about how sturdy the enclosure is for the pedal that will never leave their bedroom as if they are Neurosis on tour.

Make it out of the acrylic they use in bulletproof windows and nobody can bitch. It would weigh a ton but I’d love a silly pedal like that

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wrath of Mordark posted:

What the gently caress is going on with those two guys at the moment?

I think it counts as Stupid music poo poo regardless of who's in the right.

as far as i can tell it revolves around the maga chud claiming the other guy's been ripping off people who bought stuff from his store and the other guy apparently claims the angry dude set up a bunch of fake accounts on youtube and the gear page to complain and make it seem like he's done it a lot which got the angry guy banned from the latter

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Haha, joe trashed my band completely unprovoked the other month, despite two of us owning LHWs (and selling them because they’re pretty average but that’s another issue). He needs some proper professional help and all his sycophantic fanboys are extremely embarrassing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

*possibly* RIP Gibson

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Rest in piss

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Controversial guitar YouTube opinion: kmac had one joke and proceeded to run it into the ground every video and the joke wasn’t that good in the first place

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
he's not selling anything and he's infinitely less obnoxious than 99% of youtube guitar dorks, so he's alright

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Muppets On PCP posted:

he's not selling anything and he's infinitely less obnoxious than 99% of youtube guitar dorks, so he's alright

Yeah I don’t hate him or anything, I’m glad he’s finding success doing his thing. But it’s just the same djent jokes and wacky mashups that existed on sevenstring.org 10 years ago. I don’t know. Just doesn’t do it for me.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i like when he veers into dasharez0ne-style self-effacing humor

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress Gibson. I hope Fender buys them and sends all production to China. Maybe that way they'll get their QC up to par.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I don't blame the entire company, I blame the guys in charge. The company's employees deserve much more than they got.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Despite how absolutely poo poo Gibson is, I recently started looking into their 2018 Les Paul Tribute model, because I got a Les Paul bug, and I think they’re really good looking and at right around a grand, they are not arbitrarily astronomically priced.

I have played six or seven of them in different guitar stores around the country. The lack of quality control is almost impressive. These things have a real handmade feel to them, and I mean that in the worst way possible. Like, whoever did the sanding and finishing on these things was drunk. I’ve seen better sanding on log cabin walls. No joke, the fretboards all look and feel like they are flattened and leveled with chisels, and the grain on the sides of the fretboards was exposed. Not “visible” but literally scratchy and wooden and had small knots you could feel. Out of all the ones I played, there was exactly one I would consider “buyable” but the top wood grain just happened to be exceptionally ugly and full of these weird pockmarks that made it look like the wood was diseased or something.

I would also love it if another company bought Gibson, threw Henry out in the street, and turned the company into one that was actually capable of making a decent goddamn Les Paul at a price you wouldn’t have to sell an organ for.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 19, 2018

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I traded in my Schecter and got a better Schecter:

Matte black guitars are really hard to photograph.
I think it's a Blackjack SLS C-1 FR, but I'm not 100% sure because they don't seem to make this particular variant of it anymore. (Schecter, why is your naming scheme so goddamn complicated?)
SD Blackouts, real Floyd Rose and I ended up paying about $400 for it. The bridge needs a little attention so I get to learn what that's all about; fortunately I've also got my hardtail EC-1000 to play in the meantime.

One of the guitars I tried while I was there was a Mexican Strat and while the neck was fine the frets on it were shocking. I've heard people complain about rough fret ends that dig into your hands but this was the first time I'd ever actually felt it (despite it being one of the more expensive guitars I've played.)

edit: son of a bitch this is the wrong thread -- well, I guess a matte black Schecter with a Floyd does count as stupid music poo poo.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

that 11-13th fret inlay is pretty stupid, but otherwise that seems good

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

hexwren posted:

that 11-13th fret inlay is pretty stupid, but otherwise that seems good

It's extremely mid-00s metal goober but I've made peace with the fact that I'm an embarrassing metaldad.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Schecters have incredibly dumb inlays / overall looks (sometimes) but they tend to be extremely reliable, so it balances out. Their Telecaster versions are wicked beautiful, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
kmac is funny, leave him alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvTiBWfcNQs