Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Just realized that my partial cover spot behind the building would leave me out of micro pulse range sooooo I'm gonna take my Gurkha to 1912 if Sair is taking his Nyx to 2012. Between the two of us we should be able to guarantee 20 damage just with lasers and the snubbie, so the pulses and SRMs are gravy. It'll knock over the Dire Wolf, do a pilot hit and push the wakeup roll to 9, at which time i propose we move on to dealing with their rear guard. IF it wakes up the following round, which is no guarantee, we'll have plenty of advance warning as it tries to get up and all that.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
There we go. I've drafted out my orders.

C'mon Leschy, let's stomp that Fire Moth. Sair? Cover us.

Hey PTN, I know it's kind of late in the game, but would you be able to fix the player name for the Wolverine II?

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Defiance Industries posted:

Just realized that my partial cover spot behind the building would leave me out of micro pulse range sooooo I'm gonna take my Gurkha to 1912 if Sair is taking his Nyx to 2012. Between the two of us we should be able to guarantee 20 damage just with lasers and the snubbie, so the pulses and SRMs are gravy. It'll knock over the Dire Wolf, do a pilot hit and push the wakeup roll to 9, at which time i propose we move on to dealing with their rear guard. IF it wakes up the following round, which is no guarantee, we'll have plenty of advance warning as it tries to get up and all that.

Isn't the Dire Wolf still unconscious? In which case I think you can take a +4 penalty for called shots to his head. With the TH bonus for the Dire Wolf being immobile you should very quickly get the hit you need to kill him, even with only 16/36 of successful called shots hitting the targeted location.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 17, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RA Rx posted:

Isn't the Dire Wolf still unconscious? In which case I think you can take a +4 for called shots to his head. With the TH bonus for the Dire Wolf being immobile you should very quickly get the hit you need to kill him, even with only 16/36 of successful called shots hitting the targeted location.

Called shots on the head don't get the -4 immobile bonus iirc.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

If I remember correctly PTN uses both and let them cancel each other out.
I checked briefly by looking up Airfield, and he didn't apply a penalty to a player firing at a plane's right wing, but did apply the bonus. In the past he has applied both a bonus and a penalty to aiming for the head.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aiming at non-head parts are a Different, easier shot to take.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

RA Rx posted:

If I remember correctly PTN uses both and let them cancel each other out.

I follow the rules as written.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Y'know, there's something very sinister about those words coming from a Cardassian.

Bashir: What I want to know is, out of all the stories you told me which ones were true and which ones weren't?
Garak: My dear doctor...they're all true.
Bashir: Even the lies?
Garak: Especially the lies.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If you're going to do Called Shots on the Dire Wolf I would call them on the Rear Right Torso - it only has 17 Internals left (but still has armor on the front). If you blow that off its another Pilot Hit and if you 17 damage its likely to be 20, so it then automatically falls, right? So two pilot hits and its down to being armed with .....a flamer!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
If you're going to do called shots, do them with a wrecking ball to the face. :getin:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

If you blow that off its another Pilot Hit

No it isn't, but it would be two more engine hits which will kill the Dire Wolf outright.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

No it isn't, but it would be two more engine hits which will kill the Dire Wolf outright.
Oh yeah those were engine hits not pilots hits, derp; the pilot hit was from the ammo critical hit. Thank you for correcting me.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Orders are in for me! I'm gonna drop one dose of inferno juice on the Savage Coyote to hopefully make him hold back a shot or two over the next couple rounds, mixed in with my regular gunfire.

Hopefully we hit our called shots and this thing goes down, but even if we don't, we shouldn't have any trouble tipping it over with just the PPC and the medium lasers.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I just used six movement points to move a single hex. This is hilarious.

Well, hopefully we're able to get something out of this. I've PM'd my orders, let's see if there are any Engine kills in this round.

... what fiction is the term "Engine Kill" from anyway? I'm misremembering.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

My orders are also in; stuck with running to 1421 and unloading everything into the back of the Lobo.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

painedforever posted:

... what fiction is the term "Engine Kill" from anyway? I'm misremembering.

...BattleTech? There's engine kills, pilot kills, ammo explosion kills and the ever-popular donut kills.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Lol I'm also shooting at the Lobo in the next hex over. So I'll be surprised if it doesn't die this turn.

Hopefully the Dingo and Fire Moth go down as well, since that'll mean we're free to focus on shooting elementals and heavies next turn.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Would be nice, wouldn't it?

I think that the Fire Moth will be hilariously overkilled. The Dire Wolf is dead. The Lobo, I think, will be neutered (knockdown, pilot hit, weapons destroyed), but won't die. The Dingo will take damage, but nothing of significance.

...BattleTech? There's engine kills, pilot kills, ammo explosion kills and the ever-popular donut kills.

Not as a rule, but as something that people shout out.

Warhammer 40k, that must be it. It's when you kill a Titan.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Guys don't forget to put contingencies in your orders. If you're shooting at the Fire Moth, including contingencies for "if the Fire Moth is dead, shoot at X instead" is practically mandatory for how fragile it is.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

I don’t think we are shooting the Fire Moth - we have two kicks aimed at it though, and it’s shut down so they should connect. All I have to do is not flub the jumping piloting roll this turn.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Alright, I'll bite. what a donut kill?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TheParadigm posted:

Alright, I'll bite. what a donut kill?

Destroying the CT by reducing its internal structure to 0, as opposed to just popping the Engine a bunch of times and shutting it down with crits (which is what usually happens in my case). When I was hunting smaller mechs in a Hunchback I'd yell "DONUT!" when I rolled a 7 on hit location

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Never heard it called that, ever. "Cored" yeah, all the time, never a donut.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Strobe posted:

Guys don't forget to put contingencies in your orders. If you're shooting at the Fire Moth, including contingencies for "if the Fire Moth is dead, shoot at X instead" is practically mandatory for how fragile it is.

Can't be helped. It's mostly physical attacks against the Fire Moth, and those come last.

It might turn out that I don't hit the Fire Moth at all, because I have contingencies to stomp or punch any Elementals that swarm me.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Strobe posted:

Never heard it called that, ever. "Cored" yeah, all the time, never a donut.

The way I always understood it, cored is any CT kill and is usually noted for salvage purposes since on mmnet/mekwars, cored mechs couldn't be salvaged.

Donut is more for a CT kill where the other torsos/limbs are intact. Sometimes people will just say cored in this case too. I've heard both.

A donut kill is usually accompanied by the victim complaining about the RNG, calling his opponent a lucksack or a lucker, and possibly typing some misspelled variant of "I surrender" in the chat. In this case it doesn't seem to matter whether it's called a core or a donut, the person who just ate one is gonna have the same reaction either way.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 18, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why would anyone complain about eating a donut?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Synthbuttrange posted:

They have diabetes and were tricked into it, so now they might die

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Fraction Jackson posted:

The way I always understood it, cored is any CT kill and is usually noted for salvage purposes since on mmnet/mekwars, cored mechs couldn't be salvaged.

Donut is more for a CT kill where the other torsos/limbs are intact. Sometimes people will just say cored in this case too. I've heard both.

A donut kill is usually accompanied by the victim complaining about the RNG, calling his opponent a lucksack or a lucker, and possibly typing some misspelled variant of "I surrender" in the chat. In this case it doesn't seem to matter whether it's called a core or a donut, the person who just ate one is gonna have the same reaction either way.

Of course a CT kill should net you some salvage. Arms, legs and any weapons in them are still fine. The mech itself is a total loss though, no coming back from a CT loss.
In MekHQ, a cored mech is listed as "Salvage" while every other type of destruction renders the 'mech "Inoperable". The difference being that an inoperable mech or vehicle can be fixed, while a salvaged one is just a pile of scrap.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Remmon posted:

The mech itself is a total loss though, no coming back from a CT loss.

That's not entirely true either. A cored 'Mech is repairable, it's just very expensive since you'll need a new fusion engine and gyro which are both expensive (but less expensive than selling a repaired BattleMech). They're not immediately salvageable, you can't turn a cored 'Mech around in a week, but a dedicated salvage crew can absolutely get that 'Mech up and working again unless it got completely vaporized (0 structure on every or nearly every section).

A cored 'Mech isn't easy for a merc group to haul off (those arms may be full of unexploded ammo, etc), which is why most campaign tools just chalk them up as unsalvageable and move on.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Is it a bit weird to core a 'Mech than just get an engine kill? Maybe on smaller 'Mechs where there isn't a lot of internal structure, so you hit it all at once, and fail the crit role it'll happen more often.

Oooh, does it stackpole when it's cored?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Synthbuttrange posted:

These ones leave you feeling rather empty inside

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Remmon posted:

Of course a CT kill should net you some salvage. Arms, legs and any weapons in them are still fine. The mech itself is a total loss though, no coming back from a CT loss.
In MekHQ, a cored mech is listed as "Salvage" while every other type of destruction renders the 'mech "Inoperable". The difference being that an inoperable mech or vehicle can be fixed, while a salvaged one is just a pile of scrap.

Oh, in the actual salvage rules that's absolutely true, but most servers just operated on: "can this mech be salvaged y/n" and didn't bother with parts or repairs.

PoptartsNinja posted:

A cored 'Mech isn't easy for a merc group to haul off (those arms may be full of unexploded ammo, etc), which is why most campaign tools just chalk them up as unsalvageable and move on.

A lot of it is just a level-of-simulation thing, I think. If you're doing a full single-player campaign thing and the emphasis is on the logistics and maintenance and running a merc unit and so on, then it makes sense to differentiate between a chassis you could theoretically repair, and one that actually is obliterated. But if the focus is just on quick turnarounds between games then it makes sense to not bother with that distinction and instead just go with cored = permadead.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's not entirely true either. A cored 'Mech is repairable, it's just very expensive since you'll need a new fusion engine and gyro which are both expensive (but less expensive than selling a repaired BattleMech). They're not immediately salvageable, you can't turn a cored 'Mech around in a week, but a dedicated salvage crew can absolutely get that 'Mech up and working again unless it got completely vaporized (0 structure on every or nearly every section).

I believe this was a change in Total Warfare. I remember in the BMR era, a Mech whose CT was destroyed was considered totally destroyed and the best you could do was stick its limbs and such onto other mechs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The best you can do on short notice.

Mercenaries may not have time to leave a salvage crew for a 7+ month salvage job welding that Shadow Hawk back together, but some enterprising local's going to try his damnedest at some point and will probably eventually succeed well enough to sell the results to some poor dispossessed 'Mech jockey.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

I believe this was a change in Total Warfare. I remember in the BMR era, a Mech whose CT was destroyed was considered totally destroyed and the best you could do was stick its limbs and such onto other mechs.

This is still, technically, the rules as written. Strategic Operations pg. 175.

quote:

’Mechs: A ’Mech is truly destroyed when its center torso
internal structure is eliminated. Some components may be salvageable,
but the ’Mech itself cannot be returned to service.

There is no errata to this section that I'm aware of.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo, I just realized I applied extra acid ammo damage to the standard armor Dire Wolf.

Whoops.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh poo poo, I just realized I applied extra acid ammo damage to the standard armor Dire Wolf.

Whoops.

Must have been a patchwork refit. Short on standard plate.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well.

That's a lot of crits.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Damnit, I'm getting BattleTech blue balls over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja