Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Referring to the breeding female bee/ant as Queen is just a misnomer from an earlier time though. It's not like she's shouting orders at the rest of them.

The Borg queen was a lazy crutch the writers wanted because, admittedly, it's really hard to write for a giant hivemind. The was the first mistake, the second mistake was making the Borg queen literally the opposite of the borg is every possible way. She's petty and emotional and creepily sexualized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The Queen was cool in FC when there was some ambiguity as to whether she was literally a leader or more a personification of the collective built to interact with Data.

I'm 90% confident they kept her around in Voyager just because they had the suit/makeup already and she looked cool.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The Queen was cool in FC when there was some ambiguity as to whether she was literally a leader or more a personification of the collective built to interact with Data.

I'm 90% confident they kept her around in Voyager just because they had the suit/makeup already and she looked cool.

She didn't personify the collective in any way though, she was just angry techno lady, that's the biggest complaint. Also there wasn't much ambiguity because Picard specially remembers she existed and was trying to jump his bones way back when he was assimilated.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve seen a lot of stupid, stupid, stupid things so far in the first two seasons of Voyager but, uh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uECG4E2fg-g&t=23s

Wow

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

According to the list The Doctor is the 3rd best Voyager character.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The best DS9 character is a self sealing stembolt.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
nah it was vilix’pran

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
My favorite character is the 3-shift rotation

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The General posted:

The best DS9 character is a reverse ratcheting router.

:colbert:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

My favorite character is the 4-shift rotation

:colbert::colbert:

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

It's always tragic when they let a beloved character go

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
With the absorption of different cultures that will be adapted to serve the collective, etc. maybe early on in the Borg evolution they found themselves constantly absorbing species who despite being being converted to part of an identity-less shared, combined collective, the Borg could ironically not prevent every being constantly bringing the idea or need of an 'leader figure'.

In time, the Borg create a 'queen', a 'Locutus' , a whatever not because its what it wants to do, but an overwhelming amount of the collective have collectively decided that it needs one.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

JediTalentAgent posted:

With the absorption of different cultures that will be adapted to serve the collective, etc. maybe early on in the Borg evolution they found themselves constantly absorbing species who despite being being converted to part of an identity-less shared, combined collective, the Borg could ironically not prevent every being constantly bringing the idea or need of an 'leader figure'.

In time, the Borg create a 'queen', a 'Locutus' , a whatever not because its what it wants to do, but an overwhelming amount of the collective have collectively decided that it needs one.

"Sir, this is an ST:O writers' ball, would you like fries with that?"

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Borg Queen was a lazy idea. They were better when they were completely alien, impersonal, and unfathomable. As soon as they were fleshed out they lost what made them interesting.

The next logical step would've been spreading themselves by an airborne pathogen but that probably wouldn't work well on screen.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Automatic Slim posted:

Borg Queen was a lazy idea. They were better when they were completely alien, impersonal, and unfathomable. As soon as they were fleshed out they lost what made them interesting.

The next logical step would've been spreading themselves by an airborne pathogen but that probably wouldn't work well on screen.

I think the next logical step would have been to play the federation's game and offer peace. :colbert: The Federation is helpless to resist a good peace treaty. The borg stop trying to forcibly assimilate anyone inside federation territory, and in return the federation lets them set up voluntary recruiting centers on the promenade of a few high traffic space stations.

Despite what the starfleet jockies think, the queen's sale's pitch to Data and Picard could convert a lot of people. Plenty of people would value immortality over individuality. The borg don't need territory or bodies, they have trillions of bodies and unfathomable amounts of territory. The Borg want whatever is unique about a species, and they can get that from assimilating old people who are afraid to die and be forgotten. Old people know lots of poo poo. Play it smart and the collective could eventually become the default "afterlife" for the non-religious billions.

Efficiency? A few hundred drones working for 50 years could easily harvest everything interesting about the Federation with zero waste. Way more efficient than the forcible conversions that end up with millions dying rather than being assimilated, and taking a bunch of technology with them.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

The very idea of the 'hive mind' comes from insects that have definitive queens and rigid hierarchies.

They were not a hive. They were a collective. Fully realized gay space communism. Then they were retconned into a "hive."

Arguably it's not a retcon, per se. It could be interpreted as an adaptation to the individuality introduced into the collective by Hue.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 18, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
You could do an interesting story about how the queen came to be, I guess.

naem
May 29, 2011

As long as the queen has a jumpsuit/ big honkn' hooters

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The main problem with the borg is that once you've done a few they're the biggest threat to the Galaxy and their emotionless drones who'll gently caress you up/assimilate your culture then there's no where else to take them.

So instead we get the borg Queen. She's okay.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
janeway should go back in time and become the borg queen

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
We need a bunch of folks in the Federation that accuses Starfleet of war crimes for blowing up POWs and 'civilian' populations when they blow up a borg cube.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Borg queen was kind of cool the first time, even though she wrecked up the alien weirdness of the Borg in a big way. It was only when she turned into Rita Repulsa that poo poo got BAD bad.

although, didn't LocUtus already gently caress everything up in like their second appearance? But once again, that's cool character moments at the expense of some Stanisław Lem style thinky-type sci-fi.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So you're saying is the Borg need a Lord Zedd. Strong agree.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

LegoPirateNinja posted:

They were not a hive. They were a collective. Fully realized gay space communism. Then they were retconned into a "hive."

Arguably it's not a retcon, per se. It could be interpreted as an adaptation to the individuality introduced into the collective by Hue.
A collective with a hive mind, which is different to being a "hive", but that's why there then became a queen - because you give these concepts to the same hack writers who produce multiple storylines revolving around crew members being devolved. It's dumb, but that's why you need someone like Roddenberry in the background making sure everyone knows how big Ferengi dicks are supposed to be.

Even space communism is more individuality than the Borg should have had. The whole idea was they were a singularity controlling a conglomerate organism. Rather than reduce that to a petty queen that could be cut off they should have explored what it meant to be an organism that was literally the sum of its parts - have it absorb some space pacifists or xenophobic isolationists and examine how that affects its behaviour.
The Founders were a better exploration of a collective species.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
How would you all describe each Star Trek captain in one word?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hot
hot
hot
insane
goober
rear end in a top hat

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Kirk: America

Picard: Federation

Sisko: Sisko

Janeway: cvdsbjivsbvsjv

Archer: Lol

Lorca: Prestigedrama

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Pike: Who?

Kirk: Rapey

Picard: British

Sisko: BLM

Janeway: Snooze

Archer: Ham

Lorca: Shamalam

Saru: Entree

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kitchner posted:

Pike: Who?

Kirk: Rapey

Picard: British

Sisko: BLM

Janeway: Snooze

Archer: Ham

Lorca: Shamalam

Saru: Entree

Janeway; Frau Diktator.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cocksure, analytical, passionate, Thatcher, Sam, grimdarkmcduff.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Pike: The guy who won't take off his socks when he fucks.

Kirk: Straight-leaning pansexual; would defend adult babies because "they're not hurting anyone."

Picard: Only publicly interested in his flute; secretly has a crush on Q.

Sisko: Likes to get loud.

Janeway: Already doing Q on the sly.

Archer: Actual cuckolding fetish.

Lorca: Burnham

Burnham: Georgiou

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Pike: The guy who won't take off his socks when he fucks.

Kirk: Straight-leaning pansexual; would defend adult babies because "they're not hurting anyone."

Picard: Only publicly interested in his flute; secretly has a crush on Q.

Sisko: Likes to get loud.

Janeway: Already doing Q on the sly.

Archer: Actual cuckolding fetish.

Lorca: Burnham

Burnham: Georgiou

I feel that you have misunderstood the "in one word" part of the challenge

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Kitchner posted:

I feel that you have misunderstood the "in one word" part of the challenge

ok:

Kirk: would

Picard: would

Sisko: would

Janeway: would

Archer: nah

Lorca: would

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

ok:

Kirk: would

Picard: would

Sisko: would

Janeway: would

Archer: nah

Lorca: would

Archer seems like he is really into being pegged. I don't know if this changes your answer.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Kitchner posted:

Archer seems like he is really into being pegged. I don't know if this changes your answer.

It...

...doesn't. I'm sorry. I hate Enterprise so goddamn much. Even the chance to gently caress it in the rear end while cackling, witchlike, doesn't make it worth the effort.

I think Sisko is also into pegging, though. Most guys on DS9 seem like bottoms.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
See i imagine Sisko to be a total animal in bed. Picard would either be super vanilla or into some really hosed up poo poo, that's how the posh quiet ones go.

Kirk would be the guy who boasts about how great in bed he is but he's a two pump chump really.

Janeway is a dom for sure.

Lorca probably just hires and then murderers hookers or something.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Garak is a bottom only because his job demanded it. That's not his preference.

Kai Winn is into some real freaky poo poo like most clerics of high office.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kirk lost his v card to Carol Marcus and has only ever made out with ladies since.

Picard fucks in a very determined but respectful and business like manner, like a captain going down with the ship.

Sisko is singing and laughing the whole time.

Janeway walks in on someone jerking it and tells them they're doing it wrong

Archer cries during and after, proposes marriage each time.

Lorca likes it with the lights off

Saru is into Vore

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Janeway walks in on someone jerking it and tells them they're doing it wrong

People with high power, high responsibility jobs tend to like to be dominated if not humiliated. Holo Irishman is a tough but loving master.

quote:

Archer cries during and after, proposes marriage each

Always ending in what was intended as a inspiring but actually sanctimonious speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
Ya'll some weird-rear end motherfuckers.