Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Bobcats posted:

Also things have settled enough that I can say Piranhas need to be looked at. 12 of anything would be broken. The legs are so spindly it's like landing a headshot.

Ehhh, I feel they're relatively balanced. That's a lot of machine guns but they're incredibly fragile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

I feel like the Annihilator was an honest mistake, at least. I mean, take the MCII, which is basically every other Clan assault mech +1. Nobody looked at it and thought it was going to be anything less than outstanding. The Annihilator, however, was expected to be a trash pile unless it got solid quirks. It did, stellar ones even, but its power rests more on an unanticipated intersect between those quirks, its geometry, and the aftermath of the mobility changes. Before, assaults were expected to employ cover and roll damage just like any other mech. It's not like that anymore.

Assault mechs do not back up. They do not spread damage. What assault mechs do, in the current game state, is anchor a position and lay down fire, hoping against hope that victory comes before they get overrun. That's a bit hyperbolic, but not much. And when standing in one place and shooting until you die is the job three things matter more than anything else: raw survivability, hitboxes, and DPS. The Annihilator is the best at all of those. Sure, it's got that stupid oil derrick for a head and those silly belly-mounted guns, but that ended up not mattering much in a world where cover is an alien concept to the assault mech.

The power creep thing was more a reference to the fact that just it's very very easy to get trapped into a cycle of pushing power into an upward cycle. 100 ton mechs that aren't the ANH suck, so you buff the Atlas' torso twist, and now the King Crab has no role, so you give it some firepower quirks, which makes it flat out better than the Dire Wolf so you give that some durability, which means now it's a better Annihilator so you make that more mobile but now the Atlas is back to sucking...

I've been around in MWO too many years, it happens like this every time. Every thing you touch has knock-on effects for everything else. It's generally going to be much simpler to slightly nerf an overperformer than to start buffing the other 36 mechs that are obsoleted by that overperformer. I partially agree that the ANH was unexpected, but it's also been out for quite a long time now and there's no sign of it being adjusted either; and every time I see a new mech's quirk sheet in the week leading up to its launch if the numbers look lovely you see tons of people going "OMG WTF canceling preoder now PGI is literally the devil this was going to be my favourite mech but it has +7 structure not +11!!!!!!!" PGI knows this and so they just say gently caress it, four extra structure doesn't affect the game that much but it does affect our bottom line, so just go for it. And that's why every ANH gets armor quirks instead of structure, and why they have more than they should.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Pattonesque posted:

Ehhh, I feel they're relatively balanced. That's a lot of machine guns but they're incredibly fragile

they just need to roll off mg damage a bit so that they can't instamelt a fresh assault from behind

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I just came back to this game after like a year or two, expected to play a few missions and get bored and go back to not playing again. But now I've been steadily raising my rank in my fancy valkyrie-skinned Centurion and I'm kinda re-hooked again. :( I'm having so much fun brawling again though. I used to have an AC/10 on it but I swapped it for an RAC/5 and it's a ridiculously hot, silly weapon but somehow very satisfying to dakka an enemy while peppering them with 3x SRM4s.

Also it's really dumb but I'm sad I can't seem to fit 4 RAC/5s on a mech.

The only problem is I can't decide what else I'd like to play. I seem to do really awful on Heavy mechs and upwards, and find myself most comfortable when I can run around at 90+ kph. But I feel like I need something longer range, whereas my most-played mechs so far have been the Centurion, a brawler Hunchback before it, and a Jenner.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Give the hunchback iic a shot. Or other clan mediums/heavies. There's got to be one in that speed range that also has the extra punch of ER weaponry.

Edit: the linebacker's fairly solid and fast/tough. Huntsmen go 81 but have approximately all of the weapon options and the tonnages to use it. The summoner plays more like a medium than a heavy, and is one of the wierd, asymetrical but heavily quirked clan mechs, and isn't that great but can be fun to sip around in. baby's first tinybutgood heavy is often recommended to be the Hellbringer.

Other than that? roughnecks are exceptionally good, as are bushwackers.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 19, 2018

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

TheParadigm posted:

Give the hunchback iic a shot. Or other clan mediums/heavies. There's got to be one in that speed range that also has the extra punch of ER weaponry.

Edit: the linebacker's fairly solid and fast/tough. Huntsmen go 81 but have approximately all of the weapon options and the tonnages to use it. The summoner plays more like a medium than a heavy, and is one of the wierd, asymetrical but heavily quirked clan mechs, and isn't that great but can be fun to sip around in. baby's first tinybutgood heavy is often recommended to be the Hellbringer.

Other than that? roughnecks are exceptionally good, as are bushwackers.

Hunchie IIC is great. Plus you can take it scouting.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Idly, whats the mobility like on the Orion IIC? i've heard good things about it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Black Pants posted:

Even if you could, the ghost heat would blow up your mech in literally under a second or two, they have crazy ghost heat on them. No point in ever running more than two.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Bobcats posted:

Buy an X5

I know I was gone for 2 years but this can't possibly be good advice.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I've gotten into the brawling game with a Warhammer 7S and absolutely love it. It's hard but rewarding when you can pull it off.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Black Pants posted:

6 AC2s or 4 AC5s with Fire Control?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

TheParadigm posted:

Idly, whats the mobility like on the Orion IIC? i've heard good things about it.

the standard LB20/4SRM6A Orion IIC goes like 81. it's a pretty good robot

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheKingslayer posted:

I've gotten into the brawling game with a Warhammer 7S and absolutely love it. It's hard but rewarding when you can pull it off.

What's the build? I have one with... 4srm6 and a bunch of lasers? I think? It was really good, but that was before all the fancy new gear dropped.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here’s a stupid question that might be in the wrong place but I figure I’ll give it a shot: if I google a MWO build, could I use it for Battletech tabletop? I’m new to the tabletop game and looking for some help building loadouts.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

sebmojo posted:

What's the build? I have one with... 4srm6 and a bunch of lasers? I think? It was really good, but that was before all the fancy new gear dropped.

I'm running 6 medium lasers and 3 srm6. It runs a bit hot but I'm not totally skilled out. So maybe it'll be better once all my nodes are filled.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

You can, but It would be kinda silly, because the mwo engine has limitations the tabletop game does not, real time vs turn based, heat scaling, shooting is based on a 2d6 probability, hit tables are not mech-dependant, and all the default mwo builds are straight out of the TROs anyway. :shrug:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Here’s a stupid question that might be in the wrong place but I figure I’ll give it a shot: if I google a MWO build, could I use it for Battletech tabletop? I’m new to the tabletop game and looking for some help building loadouts.

Yes and No.

MWO does some wierd things particularly with engine resizing and being able to swap them out.

Normally, mechs have to have engine ratings in multiples of their weight (ie atlas at 100 tons uses a std 300 thus making it a 3/5 mech), but mwo often has halfway marks, or between-sizes that you really can't cope with.

You might want to find a copy of Solaris Skunkwerks and a master unit file for it to dick around with.

It is however, a good starting point for what goes where on what.

Arm weapons and firing arcs are a lot more meaningful on tabletop as well, and ghost heat isn't a thing.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
I think I might have an addiction...

Dakkabie UM-R60L

Dakkaback HBK-4G

Dakkapult CPLT-K2

King Dakka KGC-000

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Black Pants posted:

I just came back to this game after like a year or two, expected to play a few missions and get bored and go back to not playing again. But now I've been steadily raising my rank in my fancy valkyrie-skinned Centurion and I'm kinda re-hooked again. :( I'm having so much fun brawling again though. I used to have an AC/10 on it but I swapped it for an RAC/5 and it's a ridiculously hot, silly weapon but somehow very satisfying to dakka an enemy while peppering them with 3x SRM4s.

The only problem is I can't decide what else I'd like to play. I seem to do really awful on Heavy mechs and upwards, and find myself most comfortable when I can run around at 90+ kph. But I feel like I need something longer range, whereas my most-played mechs so far have been the Centurion, a brawler Hunchback before it, and a Jenner.
A King Crab can run 4x RAC5, the DPS and heat build is a massive :lol:

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

BattleTech posted:

A King Crab can run 4x RAC5, the DPS and heat build is a massive :lol:

Do you mean UAC5? It doesn't look like any of the variants have the slots to fit 4xRAC5.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

So, with the Victor 9A1 getting a general release tomorrow, you can now finally do dumb bullshit like this:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=645&l=f4d4d83c460c1c67c337932d4e6f1cd4cb586140

Theres also a Triple AC20 build somewhere but it's a piece of poo poo since you gotta run an XL 200 engine and walk around at 40 mph, at which point you may as well run an Annihilator and do the same thing but better.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Drone_Fragger posted:

So, with the Victor 9A1 getting a general release tomorrow, you can now finally do dumb bullshit like this:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=645&l=f4d4d83c460c1c67c337932d4e6f1cd4cb586140

Theres also a Triple AC20 build somewhere but it's a piece of poo poo since you gotta run an XL 200 engine and walk around at 40 mph, at which point you may as well run an Annihilator and do the same thing but better.

That's probably too many heatsinks. You won't need them for single firing, and they won't help much with the alpha ghost heat. Put another JJ on or more ammo instead.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, dumping all three heatsinks lets you mount an extra jumpjet and two more tons of ammo and you're still looking at 67% heat which is more than enough even for a brawler. Also, even with the two extra tons of ammo, assuming you hit every single shot you take and every shot being in optimal range, you can't break 1000 damage without the ammo nodes in the skill maze (and you're only looking at 20% more with the nodes). That's... not much.

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!
If I was doing a VTR-9A1 I would do something like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=645&l=cebbf15e37d282d63bfa457cade981dbf1bbe112

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Pretty sure the VTR-9A1 had the side torso machineguns in the legs in the TRO. Too bad we can't have fun things.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
The victor isn't even very good though, is it?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cool, its like the Marmoset but fatter.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Artificer posted:

Oh no it's pretty bad, even with the armour quirks. However, running around with Dual AC20s is never not funny. Shame you can't get dual LBX 20's in there with a light engine really, that'd be the true funny build since LBX20s don't have ghost heat.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Hey guys. I made my first-ever LP to talk about Battletech and this game. Check it out if you're interested.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849796

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

You can do an LBX50 with a standard 240 build on that Victor, ammo would be kinda tight though. But yeah why not just drive an Annihilator.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
The only true answer is the LB60 dire whale. I don't care if it's awful. I can't not cackle like a madman while playing it.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Rysithusiku posted:

The only true answer is the LB60 dire whale. I don't care if it's awful. I can't not cackle like a madman while playing it.

That is next on my list. Right now I have 2xUAC10 and 3xUAC5s. It's maybe an 8 maniacal laughs out of 10.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Artificer posted:

Look at all these people giving you wrong answers. The Victor is not common on the field and it's not versatile, but it's a nasty brawler. It has substantial armor quirks, good maneuverability for how durable it is, and it can fit an AC20 with three SRM6s while jumping and going nearly 70kph. It doesn't do much else very well, but if you want a fast-ish brawler, you should consider it. People who liked the quad SRM6/LB20 Timberwolf when the TBR wasn't dogshit will like the Victor- it trades an SRM6 and a bit of speed for a lot more armor and pretty decent jumping.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

Get on the discord and join us. I (BeefySupreme) will be playing most of tonight and I can send an invite to WoL.

AS7-D

Can anyone give me some tips with this build and the Atlas in general?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

TheKingslayer posted:

the atlas' role is to tank damage and put out a few 'gently caress you' alpha strikes as the spearpoint of a push by your team. if you survive the initial push then great, but dont be surprised or disappointed if you don't. your primary job is to absorb damage rather than give it out - if the enemy are shooting you then they aren't shooting the squishier, more mobile members of your team. you are too slow to peek n' poke, so don't try - wait for targets of opportunity or act as area denial guarding a corner until it is time for the push. once you're engaged try to roll your torso as much as you can between shots at enemies to spread damage. if you lose a side torso keep using that side to face the enemy between shots as it will both protect your side that still has weapons and reduce incoming damage to your centre torso.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

TheKingslayer posted:

As banano said, you want to soak up as much damage as possible while dishing out as much damage as possible. You want high-alpha and low heat so you can make them hurt during the short time you will be alive. AC/20 + 3xSRM6 on the D-DC, AC/20 + 4xSRM6 on the AS7-S.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I don't even want to sound like that guy, I'm starting to find my legs with it but my teams are letting me down. I start a push and end up hung out to dry by shitbird LRM boats hanging back.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
My Atlas tip is don't play one. Playing assaults can be pretty unforgiving in public queue, atlas is lacking

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

TheKingslayer posted:

I don't even want to sound like that guy, I'm starting to find my legs with it but my teams are letting me down. I start a push and end up hung out to dry by shitbird LRM boats hanging back.

Are you a new player? You are probably dropping with other new players and they have not developed any skill yet. Try dropping with other goons in the group queue, it's another type of experience playing against people that (sometimes) work together. Also it is really hard to get a good push going in the solo queue, people are afraid to commit since they know that their teammates are usually mouth breathing retards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

Are you a new player? You are probably dropping with other new players and they have not developed any skill yet. Try dropping with other goons in the group queue, it's another type of experience playing against people that (sometimes) work together. Also it is really hard to get a good push going in the solo queue, people are afraid to commit since they know that their teammates are usually mouth breathing retards.

I'm about two months in. I'm not trying to say I'm a pro player. But I follow the big robots on pushes and kill poo poo. Playing a with a solid group sounds great though.