Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
There's a investigation quest early in the story and when you finish it you can talk to the guard captain in Rattay to start the camps quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

VanillaGorilla posted:

I'm about 20 hours in at this point, and it definitely feels a bit to me like I'm hitting a tipping point where the game is starting to bow under the weight of some of its flaws.

Mostly it's just starting to feel very "samey", and you can pretty quickly hit a point where the difficulty is very uneven. Like, I'm either a walking god (any bandit fight) or I'm just hopelessly outclassed. My problem is that the latter fights often look more like they toss in 5 well equipped dudes and it becomes an exercise in fighting against the focus system. It's very hard to maneuver because the game will snap to one dude, meanwhile his other three friends are doing like 10 hit long combo chains to your flanks and backs and the game is literally TUGGING your focus back to the first one. It's very rough feeling.

Side quests are getting pretty identical, mechanically. Run to place, talk to person. Maybe a fight, run back. Of course, a lot of games do that - but you're doing it in the same like 5 places, here, all of which are pretty....identical. Even the random events that happen on the road are apparently pulled from like a pool of about 5. I kept running into the same faint-hearted knight, for example.

The main story is also getting a little flabby in the middle, and losing some focus. Henry's revenge tale was compelling, and so was his early rise into being a somebody. Now it's just a weird police procedural and I'm less invested.

Gunna keep pushing on it but this might be one that I don't end up finishing.

It would make combat a lot better if there were simply a way to change target on command, that’s very true.

I find scouting groups is really important. One or two people, or a couple more if light armor, and I stick to sword. Larger groups, especially armored groups, get mace or axe. You can simply overpower people in ways you can’t with the sword to thin ranks quickly.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Bogarts posted:

There's a investigation quest early in the story and when you finish it you can talk to the guard captain in Rattay to start the camps quests.

Is that the stud farm one, or is it later, after 'Nest of Vipers'? Thanks though, I'll keep an eye out for him, when I get back from work.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Coldforge posted:

It would make combat a lot better if there were simply a way to change target on command, that’s very true.

If you press tab the game hard-locks onto an opponent and you won't be able to budge away from him, you can unlock with shift. Once you're locked on you can press tab again to cycle between targets in front of you.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Is that the stud farm one, or is it later, after 'Nest of Vipers'? Thanks though, I'll keep an eye out for him, when I get back from work.

You can do it before you do nest of vipers. I did them all when I was supposed scout the camp.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

If you press tab the game hard-locks onto an opponent and you won't be able to budge away from him, you can unlock with shift. Once you're locked on you can press tab again to cycle between targets in front of you.

The game is very aggressive about auto-focusing you, though, even when you unlock and try to move around. It's entirely because the enemy can't guard against unfocused attacks so they're trying to prevent you from doing them. A bunch of people have mentioned it and it's absolutely repeatable - if you start a swing unlocked from a target and then just sweep it across them, they're entirely defenseless.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Re the initial thieves quest, you don't need to pick any locks. Just choke the executioner out and take the key from him, along with a nice sword.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Re the initial thieves quest, you don't need to pick any locks. Just choke the executioner out and take the key from him, along with a nice sword.

drat, dude you shouldn't be touching executioners, gross

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah the tutorial mentioned weighted dice are a thing. I have no idea if you can get caught using them though.

Games where you can cheat at gambling are extremely my poo poo, I loved that in RDR too.

:agreed:

chances are you have to steal them

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Holy poo poo this game rules.

It really reminds me of the older, really deep RPGs from the olden days. :corsair:

The most recent game it reminds me of is Morrowind: I am so stoked to finally be in a game where the NPCs are playing the same game as I am. It feels like the took the background sim and stats-interactions from a game like CK2 or Rimworld and shoved it into a Witcher/Skyrim action-rpg. I am even digging the lovely UI and the random, bizarre animations: the kind of rough corners that say "we spent all our time on the simulation."

I think I am still pretty early in: finally started learning to read when I made it to Uhzhitz trying to solve a murder. I'll be interested to see how reactive the quests are, there have been a few times where I think an NPC may have survived or had a different outcome if I hadn't spent so much time courting the Mill Wench.
:grin:

I love how difficult combat feels, how helpless you are at the start, and how I feel like I am getting better with actual practice and combat. The lockpicking minigame is a fun new take, though I totally get how some people wouldn't like it. Best QOL improvement I would like to see at this point is a cursor dot for directing strikes: kind of difficult for me to get the hang of it with the mouse. Seems like it would be much more intuitive with a gamepad but gently caress that noise. :pcgaming:

Anywho, life as a peasant is dope as gently caress and I am having a great time exploring a really well-crafted world!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

despite a bit of taking from the dead he's actually a nice guy. a later quest has him helping out the wife of a guy he executed.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Demiurge4 posted:

Where do I find tab and shift on my PS4 controller? :confused:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Thief posted:

:agreed:

chances are you have to steal them

you can get them from a couple places. if you beat han's bath lady at strip farkle she gives you one

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Don’t think I’ve found a weighted dice yet. I found a lucky dice, though I haven’t noticed it doing anything unusual yet, and Henry’s Beta Die from home. :unsmith:

EDIT: I looked them up, apparently they are both weighted! The lucky die has a slightly higher chance of a 1 and a much higher chance of a 6. Henry’s die has a massive chance of rolling a 2, probably why the description reccomends not using it for gambling. Have resisted looking up any other die.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I'm already 'executing' and looting dozens of people, I figure we're much the same.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I am even digging the lovely UI and the random, bizarre animations: the kind of rough corners that say "we spent all our time on the simulation."

I'm even kind of enjoying the hit-and-miss voice acting. Certainly, your average medieval peasant wouldn't have been a master orator, this is simply immersion

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Has anyone figured out how the hell pickpocketing works? There seems to be no logic behind when you are caught and when you can successfully get in their pockets.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Has anyone figured out how the hell pickpocketing works? There seems to be no logic behind when you are caught and when you can successfully get in their pockets.

Crouch behind them, hold while pickpocketing until you get 7 or 8 seconds on the timer, profit. Don't do it in field of view of others without the crowd control perk and if the target moves you'll get caught.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Party Plane Jones posted:

Crouch behind them, hold while pickpocketing until you get 7 or 8 seconds on the timer, profit. Don't do it in field of view of others without the crowd control perk and if the target moves you'll get caught.

What is the red and green coloring meaning?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Anyone else have their loading times start to spike? poo poo's taking forever.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Anyone else have their loading times start to spike? poo poo's taking forever.

This is starting to happen to me, on an SSD. It’s weird and random, but I’m starting to wonder if this game has some of the same problems that used to plague Skyrim on consoles, where the longer you play and the more poo poo it has to keep track of and the more it starts to break.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Whoever thought Needle in a Haystack was a good quest should not be designing video games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Coldforge posted:

Where do I find tab and shift on my PS4 controller? :confused:

Click R3 to cycle targets.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Holy poo poo this game rules.

It really reminds me of the older, really deep RPGs from the olden days. :corsair:

The most recent game it reminds me of is Morrowind: I am so stoked to finally be in a game where the NPCs are playing the same game as I am. It feels like the took the background sim and stats-interactions from a game like CK2 or Rimworld and shoved it into a Witcher/Skyrim action-rpg. I am even digging the lovely UI and the random, bizarre animations: the kind of rough corners that say "we spent all our time on the simulation."

I love how difficult combat feels, how helpless you are at the start, and how I feel like I am getting better with actual practice and combat. The lockpicking minigame is a fun new take, though I totally get how some people wouldn't like it. Best QOL improvement I would like to see at this point is a cursor dot for directing strikes: kind of difficult for me to get the hang of it with the mouse. Seems like it would be much more intuitive with a gamepad but gently caress that noise. :pcgaming:

Anywho, life as a peasant is dope as gently caress and I am having a great time exploring a really well-crafted world!

agree with all of this, it makes me feel like Ultima 7 did

edit: simple piece of advice that helped me with lockpicking: there's a hidden sort of time limit, when the videos say "keep moving the stick" they mean it; if you go too slow, even if you stay in the sweet spot 100% of the time, the pick still breaks.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
apparently the game's selling really well. it had peak concurrent users of just under 100,000. this is good for this game because it means it will continue to be supported and the rough edges filed down, but it's also good for those of us who think there should be more historical rpgs. hopefully game devs don't take the wrong message away from this and conclude that piling on tedious mechanics without properly integrating them with the total game are a good idea, which would be to ignore the lessons of history (looking right the gently caress at you, wasteland 2)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It helps that this game doesn't really fall prey to the things one normally expects from Ren Faire/SCA enthusiasts. At least, not as far as I am in the game.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I skipped through the last couple pages to check, so sorry if it's been discussed.. but the Rattay huntsman quest to drop 3 empty cages is completely broken. I spent multiple hours and savior schnapps trying to get all three cages down, and usually one of them will glitch out and become invisible. If you're somehow able to get all three traps completed, the following dialog with the huntsman glitches out. My recommendation is to avoid this quest until patched

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Please be aware that taking the "Head Cracker" talent under strength means that you will be unable to fairly defeat any of the wayfarers who challenge you because you will inevitably knock them out before defeating them and when they wake up, the game always treats it as a win for them. So unless you're content with losing every time or resorting to murdering the guys after they "win" don't take that talent.

It was amusing when I thought it was a one off but it's happened in 3 different duels now and it kinda sucks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
just smh if the first perks you pick aren't Manly Odor and Lowborn

m'ladies :smug:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
how do you get that loving horse to the lady for the wedding

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X
Played for a few hours, feels like mortal online with no dongag action.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

hakimashou posted:

how do you get that loving horse to the lady for the wedding

Talk to the stable hand the head groom refers you to; he'll give you the secret to controlling the horse. (Can't remember his name. Starts with "V" I think)

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
The huntsman quest glitched on me but in a different way. When I dropped the Cages they would teleport across the map and be by the miller's house. But it worked when I turned them in.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

precision posted:

Cheers. 30 hours in and I had no idea this was a thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just loaded the save the game made at the start of the quest Homecoming and my horse is gone. This happen a lot?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Please be aware that taking the "Head Cracker" talent under strength means that you will be unable to fairly defeat any of the wayfarers who challenge you because you will inevitably knock them out before defeating them and when they wake up, the game always treats it as a win for them. So unless you're content with losing every time or resorting to murdering the guys after they "win" don't take that talent.

It was amusing when I thought it was a one off but it's happened in 3 different duels now and it kinda sucks.

Don't hit them in the head? I've fought a few duels since getting it, it's only happened once (and then I learned not to hit them in the head).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I killed my first bandit! I actually really like the rhythm and heft of the combat system.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

precision posted:

agree with all of this, it makes me feel like Ultima 7 did

edit: simple piece of advice that helped me with lockpicking: there's a hidden sort of time limit, when the videos say "keep moving the stick" they mean it; if you go too slow, even if you stay in the sweet spot 100% of the time, the pick still breaks.

Also, with lockpicking on PC: circle-spiral the pick around to find the center of the golden spot. The g-spot ( :heysexy: ) is actually pretty large, and being at the center helps when it starts wobbling around at the end of the turn.

Also the reading mini game: holy gently caress that is so clever! :eng101:

I hope enough people buy this that we get a new area or Prague or another game: gently caress it, don't care! :homebrew:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

precision posted:

jfc I've been trying to drag my view from person to person, which has not been going well let me tell you.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VanillaGorilla posted:

This is starting to happen to me, on an SSD. It’s weird and random, but I’m starting to wonder if this game has some of the same problems that used to plague Skyrim on consoles, where the longer you play and the more poo poo it has to keep track of and the more it starts to break.

Yeah I'm on SSD too and . . . I think it's killed my playthrough. I load my most recent save, try to save again, it hangs infinitely and the save doesn't take. I don't think it's memory related though because I dropped and sold a bunch of my extra poo poo and it kept occurring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
By the way, can someone explain combos to me? I've been holding off on getting any combos (I use a longsword and mace, if that impacts which ones I should get) since the game doesn't seem to explain performing them, anywhere.
Like, am I meant to perform all the clicks for slashes/stabs rapidly, or should I be waiting until each blow lands (or is blocked) before performing the next?