Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
av/post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

G-Spot Run posted:

I'm not saying interest rates are the correct way more addressing the gently caress you forever sentiment.

140k might not seem like much but you're doing well mate. I don't know what your bit is, but our bit is .6. At 1.6 we make roughly 2/3s what you do at 1.bit and we're much better off than we used to be.

Yeah, I did mean to articulate that I don't think our income is by any means below average, more that with household debt the way it is, utilities and genera; cost of living and the size mortgages where they are today, it doesn't matter. Wages growth hasn't kept up, so what would have been a comfortable living 5-10 years ago is now "still living pay to pay, but can maybe afford luxuries such as Netflix".

It's okay for idiot Liberals and News Ltd. mouthpieces to say "bootstraps! go get a better job!", but when you DID that, and it doesn't help because the toxic industrial landscape has an astonishing percentage of families like mine saddled with unnecessary and unsecured personal debt, we're shouldering almost the entire tax burden because nobody else is paying it, and they're trying to make HECS repayments higher at a time when nobody can afford them, then what the gently caress are you supposed to do. In a couple years when that debt's paid off we'll be doing a lot better, thankfully. Knowing that there are plenty of people worse off, and that they're actively trying to make poo poo HARDER gets me riled.

Pinball Jizzard posted:

The problem I find is that no-one can think outside the box on negative gearing. Removing it altogether would cause an almighty crash on house prices which would be devastating for the economy, leaving it in place will continue to have house prices rise. So how about; no negative gearing allowed on future purchases with the benefits tapering off over a 10 year period for existing negatively geared properties. This allows for a more gradual entry to market for those that would suffer under changed negative gearing rules, but also allow first-home buyers to compete on a more even field in the new build sector.

Personally I’d rather negative gearing stayed in play so the government can continue to pay off the capital on my property!

This is basically what Labor said they would so if they won in 2016; but unlike the Greens, they don't publish their policies online. Probably so they can backflip twice a day.

You Am I posted:

Pfft, breeders.

Sorry for your non-sex having existence,

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Gay Space Communism when Australia?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Spend less on candles

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Gridlocked posted:

Gay Space Communism when Australia?
Well not in NSW:

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/nsw-sets-up-state-productivity-commission

Usually the precursor to doing something both dodgy and hosed up.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

starkebn posted:

Spend less on candles

gently caress you made me choke on my drink

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
1 income household of two on 65k before tax, the interest rate debate is a war in heaven to me lol and I'm much better off than a lot of people

Ask me in 20 years when I've paid my HECS off and saved a deposit

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 19, 2018

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

starkebn posted:

Spend less on candles

No.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
It'd be real great if there were a dependent spouse tax offset

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Before Times posted:

I'm honestly surprised Tones didn't try to implement one.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Senor Tron posted:

I'm honestly surprised Tones didn't try to implement one.

Actually they got rid of it lol

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

You Am I posted:

Interest rates need to go back to early 90s 15% rate, just to hear the collective making GBS threads of pants around the mortgaged to the hilt suburbs in Australia :devil:

Leading to a recession for the first time in a generation.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The Before Times posted:

Mistress offset too?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-19/frugal-habits-of-rich-australians/9422652

Good poo poo from Your ABC

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

Sorry for your non-sex having existence,

Only my fellow chads need to worry about interest rates. :smugdog:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Leading to a recession for the first time in a generation.

Hey, to make a cheaper housing omelette, you gotta break some financial eggs. If others have to suffer so I can get home ownership, then I can become the FYGM Bootstapper :)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

bigis posted:

Only my fellow chads need to worry about interest rates. :smugdog:

People itt need to check their DINK privilege is all I'm saying,

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

People itt need to check their DINK privilege is all I'm saying,

lol nope

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

I’m sick of Taco hoarding all the imgurcash. Time to get a bird.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Yeah but nah.

It's nicely illustrative of the dangers of fygm that even in the progressive echo chamber of auspol people get a bit twitchy about their relative situation and problems. Yeah if house prices plumet to 3x income ratios it'll inevitably gently caress over people with a home for life mortgage a bit, but right now everyone who isn't in a home for life is a bit hosed.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Birdstrike posted:

Taco posted:

(((AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)))

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://twitter.com/yassmin_a/status/965362694005166080

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Birdstrike posted:

I loving wish I could monetize Taco but a whole bunch of crazy people have already beaten me to the "set up a patreon for my parrot so I can stream games or me watching a movie but also a bird"

Everyone in AusPol give me money.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

GoldStandardConure posted:

I loving wish I could monetize Taco but a whole bunch of crazy people have already beaten me to the "set up a patreon for my parrot so I can stream games or me watching a movie but also a bird"

Everyone in AusPol give me money.

parrot podcast

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
https://twitter.com/serkanthewriter/status/965446286643118081

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Muyb is right though; some good wage rises will help most people

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Can we stop the home owner talk and go back to baging out pollies. You guys are malimg me scared of my future when I try to buy a house.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

G-Spot Run posted:

Yeah but nah.

It's nicely illustrative of the dangers of fygm that even in the progressive echo chamber of auspol people get a bit twitchy about their relative situation and problems. Yeah if house prices plumet to 3x income ratios it'll inevitably gently caress over people with a home for life mortgage a bit, but right now everyone who isn't in a home for life is a bit hosed.

It's hardly gently caress you got mine. You Am I posted a simplistic solution to a very complicated problem.

It's very similar to tax rates - the simple solution is raise taxes but lower-and-middle class people pay their taxes fairly while upper-class and corporations pay little to no tax, so the lower classes are unfairly impacted.

I'm not saying I have the answers but it's not "gently caress you got mine" it's "please don't gently caress us when you're trying to gently caress the rich (and failing)"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Gridlocked posted:

Can we stop the home owner talk and go back to baging out pollies. You guys are malimg me scared of my future when I try to buy a house.

The only fair solution is to guillotine the one percent

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Including pollies

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Pretty much any market solution is going to gently caress poor people unless the solution is to give everyone more money

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Institute a 100% death tax first tho

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Before Times posted:

Institute a 200% death tax first tho

You know their kids are rich little loving assholes too

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

G-Spot Run posted:

Yeah if house prices plumet to 3x income ratios it'll inevitably gently caress over people with a home for life mortgage a bit

“A bit”? If that happens it’ll be a lot more than a bit.

bigis fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 19, 2018

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

The Before Times posted:

Institute a 100% death tax first tho

I assume this means kill 100% of people in which case I agree.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

G-Spot Run posted:

Yeah but nah.

Nobody is loving saying this.

Raising interest rates was the proposal that had everybody itt with a mortgage screaming "no, gently caress you", because it's the most regressive solution out of all of those available - which is why the Libs would probably prefer it.

Abolishing discounts and tax breaks for investors may lower property values, but hey maybe just don't move for a while and let inflation take care of that. That's what I intend on doing if my place takes a hit.

Nobody ITT is trying to suggest that property values going down would be a bad thing for this country, especially WRT Melbourne and Sydney.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Just move to Armidale where houses are affordable.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bill Shorten says there's a 'role for coal' and Adani mine just 'another project'

get hosed blib hooton

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Yeah, I projected a little bit to a conversation with someone about property prices who said almost verbatim "well WE just bought a house so I don't want prices to go down". Good for fuckin you but what about the rest of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh good we’re at ‘my wife thought it was a good idea!’ Stage of idiocy level of excuse making deflection because Trumpbull still can't take any responsibility

• Locked thread