Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

daslog posted:

That's what I was trying to get at with my post earlier. The skill gap between top 10% and top 1% is massive. Those two groups shouldn't be matched against each other.

Matches require 80-100 players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Elman posted:

Matches require 80-100 players.

Yes, it would require some careful balancing and top rated players might have to wait a few minute when queuing for matches.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If you’re complaining about the match making, it probably means you need to ignore the top % rating because it’s critically flawed for more than one reason and accept that you are simply worse than average, which is not surprising since most goons are on the higher end of the age range for PUBG players.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

VulgarandStupid posted:

If you’re complaining about the match making, it probably means you need to ignore the top % rating because it’s critically flawed for more than one reason and accept that you are simply worse than average, which is not surprising since most goons are on the higher end of the age range for PUBG players.

I have no problem accepting that I'm worse than average. I just want to be matched against other players of similar skill and not shroud.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
There are plenty of horrible people in the top 1%, because there are tons of people that play like this:

https://pubg.op.gg/user/aTomicW8?server=na

https://pubg.op.gg/user/roboidiot?server=na

https://pubg.op.gg/user/HalcyonDraconis?server=na

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 19, 2018

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I just dropped in a solo game for the first time in a while. Bad circle placement, hop in a party bus to get across after getting an AR.

Was low on gas, came across another bus halfway across. Hop in the bus. Forget to pop the tires on the old bus.

Somebody hopped in that bus, burned the rest of the gas to catch up right as I hit a hill and slow down. Killed me very quickly.

My fault, yes, but I might be done with this game.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Thom P. Tiers posted:

There are plenty of horrible people in the top 1%, because there are tons of people that play like this:

yeah im in the top 1% with a 1.0 k/d and like 5 wins or something like that, I get matched with the same people all the time to so at least the matchmaking is 'working'

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Okay I dropped again and whanged a dude with a pan, found an M14 that pan guy didn't see, killed an unfortunate soul with it as he ran across a road, then had to hoof it from Puerto paraiso up to minas generales.
Along the way I found the other dude that dropped with us and mowed him down.
Poor sod, he didn't even get to take one of his two AKMs out.
Then I hit the buggy we were both running for (first vehicle of the match, weird spawns), and headed for the nearest town. Along the way I found a man who made the very bad decision of getting out of his motorcycle... and then to just crouch up and down as I drove right at him. Didn't even stop to loot the clown's corpse.
Then I goof around for a bit in the buggy. It was fun. Theeeen I need to edge play it because the circle comes. 5 more minutes of boring running.
... Until a see a dude with a kitted out M24 hiding behind a rock. I get close enough to spit on him and execute him. I get his gun. :getin:

Right about now I realize no one has fired a shot at me all match. Pan guy tried to punch me though, good on you mate.
Taking note of my luck, I carefully pick my way just south of water treatment, sure the entire time that I'll get domed from there - shiny new lvl 3 helmet and all.
Somehow no one is there playing the edge. So I get the privilege of now running out in the open in the final circle to a little wooden shack that's baaaaarely in the circle as I take a bit of damage from the blue.
I peek around, but done see anyone for a minute.
Some frantic firing. Two left. The circle moves, I run for a natural party bus spawn by the road. I see another guy, also with an M24 run for the only other cover - an air drop crate, still smoking.
We duel.
I miss. He misses.
I get a shot. He misses.
I miss, he gets a shot.

And here's where I gently caress up.
I should have kept steady. Should've taken the next shot. He had moved out of cover a bit.
But i heal up.
We both heal up.
We trade again. I'm looking at the video now, the shot is going right for his head. Somehow it didn't get there.
I pull the bolt back, push it back in. Pop out, he just layed down. Headshot, I die.

:negative:
That was one of those once-in-a-blue-moon matches where the game handed me a victory. And i blew it.
Okay game, you got me back.
My hands just stopped shaking.
I'm gonna get that loving chicken dinner yet.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 19, 2018

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Doorknob Slobber posted:

yeah im in the top 1% with a 1.0 k/d and like 5 wins or something like that, I get matched with the same people all the time to so at least the matchmaking is 'working'

Same. 1.5+ K/D with 200 dmg per round. There are lots of different styles of play in this game so it's a tough game to match evenly, especially when you need ~100 people as well.

My style is: medium drop, get a kill or two, and then play the edges of the circle. It may be boring for some, but meh, I enjoy it. I always run towards gunfire/cars if I hear it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

all of these are me.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
its not that its tough its that the game rates you up heavily based on how long you live. you would think that would mean higher rated people would be better at fighting, because if you win fights you will last longer. instead it heavily favours people who hide all round and never ever shoot. the nevermore strat and the break strat might have been nerfed but the underlying cuase of those strats being so good is still there.

if you get matched with shroud, the game thinks you are equally as good at getting to the end as him. except he got there by being extremely good at shooters and killing 20 people, you almost certainly did not and are about to be #21. The games rating system is bad.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I landed in the same tiny out of the way complex as another guy, quickly had him dead to rights with a shotgun. He started talking on the mic so I had some fun and let him loot one tiny building (supervised closely of course) and then told him to drive off.

10 minutes later I'm all alone getting the last stuff of the compound when I hear footsteps. Right as the door opens I blast and lo and behold it was the same guy come back to kill me. He said sorry and we laughed as he lay dead.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Thom P. Tiers posted:

https://pubg.op.gg/user/aTomicW8?server=na

https://pubg.op.gg/user/roboidiot?server=na

https://pubg.op.gg/user/HalcyonDraconis?server=na

It blows my mind that there are people who enjoy this type of play enough to grind their way to the top of the leaderboard

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Rex-Goliath posted:

It blows my mind that there are people who enjoy this type of play enough to grind their way to the top of the leaderboard

What is hard to understand about sneaking around and getting tantalizingly close to winning? Not all of us are God's gift to FPS.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
You are extremely unlikely to win with that play style, putting yourself into games with players of a higher skill than you by increasing your rank artificially , and also not getting better at the shooting part at the game. I like those players because it’s free kills in the mid and end game.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
After 300 hours of play I finally got my first ever solo chicken. I proned all the way during the two last circles like a loving coward, granted we were only the two of us and in an open field. I was planning to fight it out with med kits but when the circle got really small the other guy made the mistake of going up and he was next to me so I blasted him. Finished with 3 kills at least. I stopped giving a gently caress about ranking and now I just go for hot spots and try to improve my actual shoot mans skill, I'm still bad tho.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

From my experience once in every 30 matches you're pretty much handed a victory by the Goddess of Random; of course it's still up to you to score the all-meaningful final shot
Not necessarily, my first win came down to outliving #2 as the final circle came in. In that situation you should boost with everything you've got, and if possible try time a medkit so that it hits just after the damage starts (last circle kills in just over a second so it's hard to pull off). Not that I really needed to do any of that because I don't think the other guy knew how to react to last circle at all (he didn't even move).

My second win was also more luck than skill - I waited until the last possible second to go to one of the last tiny circles... And did so in my car at full throttle - usually not a great idea because you are a massive target, but there were 2 others left and I figured whoever shot at me would also reveal themselves to the other. That is exactly what happened because when I found a good spot to bail out I did so to the sounds of #2 and #3 settling their rank out, and because of that I was in much better shape than #2 for the final fight.

I actually use that strategy often in situations where an endgame circle is in a poo poo spot for me - if I have a car and I'm going to be very exposed no matter how I get there, then I figure that I may as well go out with a bang (which is how it usually goes as multiple people unload full auto at my car until it explodes with me still inside).

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

It's also a great way to get yourself screwed, by not fighting for important positions and then getting forced to move into open areas by the circle. At that point you pretty much have to attribute your few wins to blind luck.

Also, I'm pretty sure actual match making has been shut off for quite a while. Possibly with the exception of those who actually hit high rank, something like sub-2000.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Stream sniping would not be viable at all if ranking had any bearing what games you were placed into

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
There clearly is a rating system but it sucks rear end. I think there must be a "big potato" and "shroud" groups. In some games and at start of the season you can clearly see that the game puts a lot of potatoes together, I mean I suck rear end at this game and even I managed 8-9 kills in one game at the start of the season. I also think that there is a timeout or something where in order to not make players wait too long after a while they are just dumped in the first game that is free, that is why sometimes it seems to be a little blurry also. Basically they should totally redesign the rating system imo.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

In games with some kind of rating and matchmaking if you keep playing you will inevitably end up at the bottom of the best general tier you can make it to. Unless the game does some extra messing around to try and get you "fair" matches like LoL does so people don't ragequit when they become the background filler for the best tier they can get to.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
It's now getting to the stage where there are multiple blatant cheats in FPP OC. Literally had a game with 2 rather obvious ones (shooting from hip and hitting every shot at 200m). Of course name is chang01232855.

Think my patience is running thin.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Barnsy posted:

It's now getting to the stage where there are multiple blatant cheats in FPP OC. Literally had a game with 2 rather obvious ones (shooting from hip and hitting every shot at 200m). Of course name is chang01232855.

Think my patience is running thin.

Yeah the hacking is way past out of control now.

Supposedly there is a MLM pyramid scheme for reselling PUBG hacks in China which might be one of the root causes for why the hacks are spreading so quickly. You sign up as a reseller then you just need to sign up 3 more resellers into your downstream who then just have to sign up 3 more into each of theirs and we'll all be rich!

All these resellers are trying to offload their cheat programs anywhere possible, a lot of them get loaded onto internet cafe computers so a person just has to rent time and they get a computer with PUBG installed and cheat software ready to go.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space Skeleton posted:

Supposedly there is a MLM pyramid scheme for reselling PUBG hacks in China which might be one of the root causes for why the hacks are spreading so quickly. You sign up as a reseller then you just need to sign up 3 more resellers into your downstream who then just have to sign up 3 more into each of theirs and we'll all be rich!

All these resellers are trying to offload their cheat programs anywhere possible, a lot of them get loaded onto internet cafe computers so a person just has to rent time and they get a computer with PUBG installed and cheat software ready to go.

I've been seeing multiple hackers per match, some are killing themselves, some are so incredibly bad that even with insta-heals they manage to die to the blue zone. It's a shitfest.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea playing NA FFP duos tonight we died to blatant cheaters in 4 of our ~20 games, with several more that were suspect but not 100%.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Remember all that stuff about king pellets with shotguns? How does that jive with getting a double KO with a single shot of a shotgun? Under the description of shotguns that I've read in this thread, only a single pellet is used to determine damage, so you wouldn't be able to hit two targets at once.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/7yk6q1/triple_kill_with_sawed_off/

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Remember all that stuff about king pellets with shotguns? How does that jive with getting a double KO with a single shot of a shotgun? Under the description of shotguns that I've read in this thread, only a single pellet is used to determine damage, so you wouldn't be able to hit two targets at once.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/7yk6q1/triple_kill_with_sawed_off/

No the king pellet only determines how much damage the rest of the pellets will do. So the king pellet could have hit the head of one of the players causing the rest of the pellets to cause headshot damage to whichever player they hit.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Rex-Goliath posted:

No the king pellet only determines how much damage the rest of the pellets will do. So the king pellet could have hit the head of one of the players causing the rest of the pellets to cause headshot damage to whichever player they hit.

lol incredible

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Le0 posted:

There clearly is a rating system but it sucks rear end. I think there must be a "big potato" and "shroud" groups. In some games and at start of the season you can clearly see that the game puts a lot of potatoes together, I mean I suck rear end at this game and even I managed 8-9 kills in one game at the start of the season. I also think that there is a timeout or something where in order to not make players wait too long after a while they are just dumped in the first game that is free, that is why sometimes it seems to be a little blurry also. Basically they should totally redesign the rating system imo.

but the skill disparity even within those groups is pretty huge, I think its like anyone with a k/d > 1 and anyone with a k/d < 1. Minus the metal gear solid sneaky folks I guess.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Space Skeleton posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/AdvancedSpottedKomododragon.webm

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"Wow, gee, you know, we'd love to do something definitive about hacking other than ban the most blatant ones, but that would require us to demonetize the game, and well, gently caress you."

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
People aren't hacking to earn (a maximum, if lucky) ~$250 steam dollars per year.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 19, 2018

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Thom P. Tiers posted:

People aren't hacking to earn (a maximum, if lucky) ~$250 steam dollars per year.

You're underestimating how much further $250 goes in some countries and the power of automation.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Per account, some of them even multibox and do multiple matches at the same time. That money goes a lot further in places like China than you might think it does.

They aren't trying to get rich, just take the easiest or most entertaining path to making a little money and some basically are living off cheap as dirt food camped out in an internet cafe. It's not unique to PUBG and was already happening in other games but PUBG must be a great opportunity for it.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 19, 2018

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

drunken officeparty posted:

Vector: best weapon??? Slap a red dot and extended mag on it and it's like a laser gun for anything close range.

With all of the accoutrements it’s a lethal joke gun.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Wow, gee, you know, we'd love to do something definitive about hacking other than ban the most blatant ones, but that would require us to demonetize the game, and well, gently caress you."

This is going to be like DayZ Standalone. They got millions of sweet early-access dollars, so screw it, milk this thing and wring as much money out as we possibly can.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 19, 2018

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Wow tvtrope articles are the worst cases of circular logic I've yet to find

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

having lootboxes was dumb as gently caress after they made like infinity dollars just selling the game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
And while China is the bulk of the hacking problem, I've definitely been killed by good ol' English speaking hackers too. Never underestimate the appeal of making fun by ruining others'.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Lol so now FPP is being invaded by hackers. Apparently there's a hack to force yourself back into TPP in FPP.

Reddit source: https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/7ym84n/i_just_watched_a_cheater_on_death_cam_i_was/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Why is it that hackers tend to only use aim bot in hip fire mode? Is it due to the mechanics or needing to "panic" hs because they're losing the fight? Or just laziness