Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

From the trailer, I was super worried it was going to be too much forced ‘remember this’ stuff. The worst kind being the ‘have you heard of this thing called the internet? I bet it’ll never take off! Wink wink’ kind and I hope the show avoids that.

When was the last time there was a show that was actually like this? I want to say Newsroom but I'm not sure that would actually count since it was just a few years removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Guy Mann posted:

When was the last time there was a show that was actually like this? I want to say Newsroom but I'm not sure that would actually count since it was just a few years removed.

Psych is really bad about that in the flashbacks to 1987 or whatever that open each episode. We were watching one just this morning, where Corbin Bernsen tells Shawn, "Computers are just a fad, like rap music, Madonna and LA Law."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DaveWoo posted:

Next year: Time-traveling cops and doctors.

TimeDoc

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Psych is really bad about that in the flashbacks to 1987 or whatever that open each episode. We were watching one just this morning, where Corbin Bernsen tells Shawn, "Computers are just a fad, like rap music, Madonna and LA Law."

hahahaha that’s pretty good

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Timby posted:

Eh, I think that stuff's fine since its clearly just a joke about how Henry was a stubborn old man even when he was a young father. And of course the meta joke. Its a joke about the character/actor, not the time.

Like the easiest example of it being laughable/bad is the first season of Mad Men where they have scenes like the pregnant mother smoking a cigarette and drinking yelling at her kid for wrapping a plastic dry cleaning bag around her brother's head because now the dry cleaning will be wrinkled. They just loved that stuff early on.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 18, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mad Men pilot also has “it’s not like there’s a machine that magically makes copies of things”

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Escobarbarian posted:

Mad Men pilot also has “it’s not like there’s a machine that magically makes copies of things”

I am contractually obligated to post this anytime someone brings up photocopying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbqAMEwtOE

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

"The map is not the territory" applies to comedy. "The reference is not the joke." Too much of Everything Sucks is simply "here's a thing, now laugh", like the Internet scene in the trailer.

I don't begrudge anyone's enjoyment of it but woof it is not for me

How many episodes did you see?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

swickles posted:

I am contractually obligated to post this anytime someone brings up photocopying.

God, I could see the punchline coming from a mile away and it still got me.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

swickles posted:

Hah, that's amazing, though I have a feeling that in the original deposition the guy being question was probably being a smartass and not the hapless fool he's portrayed as in the video.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The only thing worse than actually living through the 90s is everyone gushing about 90s nostalgia now. Everything did suck, call me back when we're all fondly remembering where we were on 9/11 again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

lelandjs posted:

Hah, that's amazing, though I have a feeling that in the original deposition the guy being question was probably being a smartass and not the hapless fool he's portrayed as in the video.

Sure, but its also probably safe to assume that the prosecutor wasn't screaming enraged either. They just played it for laughs instead of something that would have made you lose faith in society.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

swickles posted:

I’m so pissed there aren’t more of these. Some depositions are hilarious

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

McSpanky posted:

The only thing worse than actually living through the 90s is everyone gushing about 90s nostalgia now. Everything did suck, call me back when we're all fondly remembering where we were on 9/11 again.

I’m just saying, the show might lay the 90s nostalgia on thick at first, but that poo poo falls away after a couple of episodes. (I’d say it hits its groove around episode 4-5.) What’s left is a powerful coming-of-age narrative that has A LOT to say about the value of friendship, and how easy that is to lose sight of in the fog of hormonal war. It does this through an extremely well-arced season that seamlessly combines episodic storytelling with Netflix’s bingeable “x-hour movie” model. Comparisons to My So-Called Life and Freaks and Geeks, though technically the best way to explain what you’re signing up for, ultimately don’t do it justice because of the powerful legacy those shows have, whereas this show feels so delicate and particular in comparison. But I literally just finished the finale and it almost broke me. It’s easy to joke about screaming “OMG BEST SHOW OF THE YEAR” in the middle of loving February, but if this doesn’t end up on my top ten next December it will have been a very, very, very good year.

Just saying.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McSpanky posted:

And the '90s stuff is only just starting. We've got remakes of Spawn, The Matrix, Akira, Cliffhanger, Ace Ventura, Lion King, Aladdin, The Crow and a zillion other '90s things on the way (to say nothing of some of the '80s stuff like The Fly, Dune, Scarface, Police Academy, Big Trouble in Little China, Highlander, Predator and some others that studios haven't gotten out of their systems yet).

DivisionPost posted:

But I literally just finished the finale and it almost broke me.

No offense, but it's a bigger surprise when you don't say this about a show. :v:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Timby posted:

And the '90s stuff is only just starting. We've got remakes of Spawn, The Matrix, Akira, Cliffhanger, Ace Ventura, Lion King, Aladdin, The Crow and a zillion other '90s things on the way

When is the Felicity remake coming though, that's the one the whole world is waiting for.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Didn't we already get a Crow remake.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't we already get a Crow remake.

A couple of DTV movies back in the '90s, sure, and at least one TV show. But they've gone through at least three directors and God knows how many screenwriters (Nick Cave wrote the second draft, but that was like five years ago) trying to crack the nut on getting a straight remake of the movie done.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Timby posted:

No offense, but it's a bigger surprise when you don't say this about a show. :v:

None taken. I almost want to issue an open challenge, but I already know I’ll get owned. Let’s just say my feelings about this show are similar to the way I felt about Friday Night Lights, BoJack Horseman, and American Vandal when they first started. (EDIT: Riverdale, Banshee, and Sweet/Vicious too, but those are far different beasts.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

A couple of DTV movies back in the '90s, sure, and at least one TV show. But they've gone through at least three directors and God knows how many screenwriters (Nick Cave wrote the second draft, but that was like five years ago) trying to crack the nut on getting a straight remake of the movie done.

At a con years ago O'Barr claimed that another DTV film was shot starring DMX but it was filed away with no post production work completed.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
They could actually adapt the Crow.

I mean the comic itself. It'd be trippy to see on screen, and it's.....very differently paced than the original movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was about to say that the Crow would make a good tv show

but then I remembered

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The fourth Crow movie is the only other film directed by the guy who made Six String Samurai. Now that's just sad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I watched The Crow for the first time in years the other night, and was glad I still really enjoyed it. There’s something about the cheapness of the swooping camera work over the city that really works.

Also with regards to the 90s Netflix show, I’ll be very sad if it doesn’t use Descendents’ track ‘Everything Sucks’ as either the theme or at least a track at some point.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

radlum posted:

It was basically The Soup but with Netflix jokes instead of E! jokes. I enjoyed it just fine; I hope we get some callbacks to The Soup

The clip from Ultimate Beastmaster was probably the best part of this week's episode.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Was Gillian too busy for the Community reunion scene?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

Was Gillian too busy for the Community reunion scene?

She’s in a new Diet Coke ad and every time I see it I joke that it was supposed to be a Diet Pepsi ad but she Britta’d it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

I watched The Crow for the first time in years the other night, and was glad I still really enjoyed it. There’s something about the cheapness of the swooping camera work over the city that really works.

I was very surprised at how well it holds up. And that soundtrack is phenomenal. NIN covering Joy Division, one of the best Jesus and Mary Chain songs ever recorded, Rollins covering "Ghost Rider"... it's so good. It even has probably the only great song The Cure wrote post-Disintegration.

e: the Joel McHale show is loving great, I missed The Soup so bad

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the soundtrack was definitely something I looked forward to, and Burn kills it.

I only ever watched The Soup from time to time, so it’s nice to jump into The Joel McHale Show from the start. I like the fact he’s now completely uncut and hope they use the Netflix sound as often as possible.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The Crow soundtrack was my first CD! I'm pretty sure I could rattle off the track listing by heart still. That was a good time period for movie soundtracks, I loved the Crow and Demon Knight albums.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also speaking of 90s teen shows, has Madison completely fallen into the void? I can’t find it anywhere, on legit services or less so. That and Heartbreak High were my jam as a kid, but at least the latter got some seasons released on DVD.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

less laughter posted:

When is the Felicity remake coming though, that's the one the whole world is waiting for.

Nobody has 90s college nostalgia. It has to be little kids listening to Radiohead or something.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I will be upset if The Joel McHale show doesn't recap the Kardashians. I need to stay in the pop culture loop.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been watching a lot of Netflix lately and had no idea this existed. Apparently the Netflix algorithm noticed I keep abandoning their original comedies after 1 or 2 episodes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

radlum posted:

It was basically The Soup but with Netflix jokes instead of E! jokes. I enjoyed it just fine; I hope we get some callbacks to The Soup

Is Lou still around? If so, that dog has gotta be old as poo poo by now.

DaveWoo posted:

Next year: Time-traveling cops and doctors.

That was 2014 or so, I think (if New Amsterdam / Sleepy Hollow / Forever count), and you could maybe count Frequency from 2016.

raditts fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 19, 2018

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Please have the DONKA DOO BALL lady on the show, Joel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=504gGMv9apo

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a new Eric Andre Show special episode filmed in France. Can't wait to see this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

How many episodes did you see?

made it to episode 5, and I can see your point about the story itself really gelling around that time, but there were still too many "hey, remember this thing? yeah, heh" moments. I'll watch the rest eventually probably to give it a fair shake.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
remember Poppy? she has a movie now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHrWuDnReM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I went to the YouTube Space London Christmas party last year and Poppy performed live. It was odd