Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ariong posted:

My favorite moment across this whole podcast is 1:19:30 into The Cereal Men (46) where Gary has this incredible moment of realization about the larger role this guy plays in American history. What episodes have similarly dramatic revelations by one of the hosts?

the Uber episode is pretty great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Ariong posted:

My favorite moment across this whole podcast is 1:19:30 into The Cereal Men (46) where Gary has this incredible moment of realization about the larger role this guy plays in American history. What episodes have similarly dramatic revelations by one of the hosts?

I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I always like when Gareth has those revelations.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Ariong posted:

Have you listened to 278 - James Otis yet? It has by far the best Gareth-freaking-out realization payoff ever.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

exploded mummy posted:

the Uber episode is pretty great

I’ve heard that one, and love it. This show is mostly about humans being assholes to each other, but I can’t take much of the genocide and systemic rasicm aspect. Uber is a welcome reprieve into more mundane assholery.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Have you listened to 278 - James Otis yet? It has by far the best Gareth-freaking-out realization payoff ever.

No, thanks for the reccomendation!

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Ariong posted:

I’ve heard that one, and love it. This show is mostly about humans being assholes to each other, but I can’t take much of the genocide and systemic rasicm aspect. Uber is a welcome reprieve into more mundane assholery.

No, thanks for the reccomendation!

Also listen to 155 - John Pemberton's Drug Tonics for something relatively obvious finally dawning on Gareth.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
Can't remember the episode, and nothing in the archives rings a bell, but I recall one episode involving a vote to kick a congress member out which gains a narrow majority of the vote. Cue Gareth saying something along the lines of "well that's something at least", then absolutely losing it when Dave reveals that 2/3rds were needed for it to pass. Anyone remember the episode I'm talking about

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Dave and Gareth watch more cartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDpLqJT4v0E

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Daduzi posted:

Can't remember the episode, and nothing in the archives rings a bell, but I recall one episode involving a vote to kick a congress member out which gains a narrow majority of the vote. Cue Gareth saying something along the lines of "well that's something at least", then absolutely losing it when Dave reveals that 2/3rds were needed for it to pass. Anyone remember the episode I'm talking about

The Caning of Sumner sounds about right

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

Yep, that's the one. Another to add to the Gareth delayed epiphany collection.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Well live Dollop tickets sold put too fast. RIP

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

If there's one thing I've learned from the Dollop (and these cartoons) it's that alcohol has really been the engine of history.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It isn't so much a revelation thing, but Jack Parsons has the most incredible series of twists from beginning to end until Gary's mind is just so blown that it can't be blown anymore.

And then Dave blows his mind one more time.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Midnight Voyager posted:

It isn't so much a revelation thing, but Jack Parsons has the most incredible series of twists from beginning to end until Gary's mind is just so blown that it can't be blown anymore.

This is one of the best dollop episodes ever and doesn't get nearly the credit it deserves.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

exploded mummy posted:

this is good https://youtu.be/SrbxDRmDYkk?t=4440

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Binowru posted:

If there's one thing I've learned from the Dollop (and these cartoons) it's that alcohol has really been the engine of history.
No poo poo. I mean you've probably already heard of the whisky rebellion (US) and the rum rebellion(AUS), plus all sorts of soldiers mutinying due to lack of booze. America's independence wasn't about tea, they were a bunch of rum smugglers that didn't want to pay tax.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I saw this in the PYF meme thread

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Been really into this podcast recently, after being recommended the episodes on Trump and the Iraq war, which are still some of my favorites. Are there any more episodes on recent political history stuff?

also it's amazing how boring schools make history seem, if they threw in just a little bit of the hosed up stories that The Dollop covers I think there'd be a lot more people interested in history in general.

also

Midnight Voyager posted:

gonna listen to this one now

edit: also want to say that their intro is kind of terrible, but that's alright

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Unfinish3d posted:

Been really into this podcast recently, after being recommended the episodes on Trump and the Iraq war, which are still some of my favorites. Are there any more episodes on recent political history stuff?

There are episodes on Ferguson, Ross Perot, Enron, and Uber (not really political, but still great) you can check out.

vvvvv edit: Forgot about Jade Helm. That's a great one.

Binowru fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 19, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Jade Helm is a good episode that covers a population that's a big chunk of Trump's Base.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Unfinish3d posted:

Finn's "hi Gawy" and the guys reacting to it makes me smile pretty much every time.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Binowru posted:

There are episodes on Ferguson, Ross Perot, Enron, and Uber (not really political, but still great) you can check out.

Plus two on Cliven Bundy and his followers

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

beats for junkies posted:

Finn's "hi Gawy" and the guys reacting to it makes me smile pretty much every time.

I'm just glad they didn't change the music when they changed the sound clips.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
If you’ve listened to 315 - The Witch of Kings Cross, it’s extremely worth it to look up Rosaleen Norton’s artwork. Very cool but also very :nws: due to all the dicks ‘n boobs.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Unfinish3d posted:

also it's amazing how boring schools make history seem, if they threw in just a little bit of the hosed up stories that The Dollop covers I think there'd be a lot more people interested in history in general.

also

the episode on opioids is pretty infurating

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hope they do health insurance. Like, Sawbones has a depressing episode on health insurance. So just imagine how big a mood swing you'd get from the Dollop.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Serf posted:

the episode on opioids is pretty infurating

Yeah, I just listened to those the other day. It's amazing how much people's attitudes on drugs have evolved over the past century or so (and also medicine and understanding things like addiction)

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Unfinish3d posted:

also

gonna listen to this one now

Jade Helm does double duty in being recent political history and a hosed up thing you probably don't know the whole story on. It doesn't leave quite as big ripples on current politics like the Trump or Iraq episodes, but the parts with Alex Jones are maybe more relevant now than when the episode came out.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

All I can think of with this Jorgen Jorgenson cod thing.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013
Wil Anderson seems like he was off his game this whole Australian tour, which is a bummer because he's usually great.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

T. Bombastus posted:

Wil Anderson seems like he was off his game this whole Australian tour, which is a bummer because he's usually great.

He said on one of the shows that he just had some back surgery, didn't he? I could definitely see that knocking a person off their game a bit. But yeah, would have been better to have had him at full power.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I think he has arthritis.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
I have an extra ticket to the 9:30 Neptune show in Seattle that I'll sell at cost ($29.50) to anyone who wants it. Send me a PM

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm looking for 1 (hopefully 2) ticket(s) to the Kansas City Show!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I want the Dollop to come to Montreal one day. We've got quite a few weirdos and awesome dudes, like Joe Beef.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I love the four part series about the LAPD so much.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I want the Dollop to come to Montreal one day. We've got quite a few weirdos and awesome dudes, like Joe Beef.

I always expect them to be at Just For Laughs Montreal or Toronto since Dave has been in the past and they have a lot of podcasts, but not yet. I have seen and talked to Wil Anderson around town (including a very bizarre show this past year where someone brought a two year old and sat in the front and Wil nearly lost it).

Come to think of it, I haven’t seen Gareth ever at a JFL unless that Vancouver Dollop with Stop Podcasting Yourself was part of JFLNW.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Popelmon posted:

I love the four part series about the LAPD so much.
Definitely one of the best out of the really early ones (besides the rube and 10c beer night)

prefect posted:

He said on one of the shows that he just had some back surgery, didn't he? I could definitely see that knocking a person off their game a bit. But yeah, would have been better to have had him at full power.

I don't know about surgery but he said somewhere (not sure if on the dollop), that he has a spine condition so bad he can't sit down long and it's getting worse. He has a TV show in Aus where he really, really, didn't want to do it unless he could stand up the entire time and he couldn't, so he had to sit through the entire thing in agony and not say much.
If he did say something during last years dollop I'm pretty sure he went into more detail on one of his stand ups like critically wil or wiluminati or an ABC TV programme anyway. E: :lol: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-17/wil-anderson-arrested-after-incident-on-aeroplane/8627834

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 22, 2018

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Fo3 posted:

I don't know about surgery but he said somewhere (not sure if on the dollop), that he has a spine condition so bad he can't sit down long and it's getting worse. He has a TV show in Aus where he really, really, didn't want to do it unless he could stand up the entire time and he couldn't, so he had to sit through the entire thing in agony and not say much.
If he did say something during last years dollop I'm pretty sure he went into more detail on one of his stand ups like critically wil or wiluminati or an ABC TV programme anyway. E: :lol: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-17/wil-anderson-arrested-after-incident-on-aeroplane/8627834

Yeah, he has pretty advanced Osteoarthritis (as in, he's said he'll need a double hip replacement in the next few years) and nerve pinching in his lower back, so he has been in a ton of pain for the last year. Going from standing to sitting is apparently a nightmare process. He's talked about a lot on his TOFOP and FOFOP shows. It's pretty lovely.

The plane incident is the basis for his Comedy Festival show this year. I'm looking forward to it.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/coreypierceart/status/966769975951323136

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Butter Crime is fantastic. I did have trouble keeping all the names straight.