Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

AnEdgelord posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/02/17/sky-storm-new-releases-warhammer-age-sigmar/

Can anyone tell me why Stormcast needed another Start Collecting box? Especially when so many factions in 40k and AoS are missing one.

I like Stormcast Eternals way more than I expected after reading the Plague Garden book. The souls of the greatest heroes from all eternity being degraded over and over as a last ditch chance to save reality from sinister Gods is a pretty solid hook for magic fantasy knights. It is a level of sacrifice you just don't usually get from brainwashed child soldiers with power armor.

Imagine what 40k would look like if the got rid of Codex Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Grey Knights and any other force outside Codex Vanilla Space Marines? Sigmarines having one book really helps them share the spotlight with the other Order factions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah as of the last six months, AoS is shedding it's super Golden high fantasy image and is importing plenty of 40k grimdark.

The reason it works is that you have poo poo like the balloondorfs and the mushroom shaman keeping the sense of humour alive as well.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's more that they're importing more classic WHFB flavor.

:sigh:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I like the Death Metal Elves quite a bit, but them being an Order faction is weirdly off putting to me. Its the most insanely petty thing to be bothered by but it still sours them for me a bit.

I tend to like bad guy factions in games so maybe them being ostensibly allied with the 'big good' of the setting is disappointing but they're also insane half-naked murder elves so :shrug:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
My ideal hope would be for GW to revive WHFB and it's setting in a new game. Like if it was my choice I would revive Fantasy make the models and and such compatible with Age of Sigmar and make it a different type of ruleset. I enjoy how they have refined 40k and Age of Sigmar, and a change to those rulesets to work with WHFB would be sweet.

Naturally Factions like the Tomb Kings would need to come back and Brettonia would need a new set of Models. They could update quite a bit of the range honestly. Fluff Justification for the Old World still existing can easily be something like Split timeline were Storm of Chaos happened instead of End Times.

However at the same time I would not throw out Age of Sigmar and make the Model Lines compatible with each and usable in both games. No point in throwing out Age of Sigmar doing that would just being doing the same things to it's fans that happened to Fantasy's fans. Plus the setting has potential it's just a good replacement for Fantasy.

Plus with Fantasy getting several really really well selling games it's really popular now and People who bought the second Total War game and were interested in the models were tad disappointed. (All the factions there have been broken up and lost scores of their models. You can't even get the Tomb Kings anymore.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

I like the Death Metal Elves quite a bit, but them being an Order faction is weirdly off putting to me. Its the most insanely petty thing to be bothered by but it still sours them for me a bit.

I tend to like bad guy factions in games so maybe them being ostensibly allied with the 'big good' of the setting is disappointing but they're also insane half-naked murder elves so :shrug:

Agreed.

This is Warhammer TV's facebook post on that topic.

Warhammer TV posted:

The Daughters of Khaine are firmly opposed to Chaos. Being part of Grand Alliance Order does not make them 'good' in any way shape or form. It simply means that they are not undead, do not worship the Chaos Gods and are not part of the more savage races of the Mortal Realms.

Which does not make much sense to me. As pretty much all of the Order factions are Allies and I still can't see Morathi working with them. You would still be able to take Stormcasts as allies and vice versa which makes no sense to me. Like GA Destruction makes more sense for them then Order. I think they might as well make another Grand Alliance and call it Shadows or Darkness, and make it the forces of Ulgu.

As that is pretty much the same thing as GA Death and Destruction. Death are the forces of Shyish and Destruction are the forces of Ghur.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Its this weird thing where Death, Destruction and Chaos all make sense thematically and have strong background ties to each other, but Order literally might as well be renamed Miscellaneous

Edit: I wonder if AoS might benefit from having a 'neutral' grand alliance, similar to Mercenaries/Minions in Warmahordes or Outcasts in Malifaux where the stuff that doesn't fit into the main factions goes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

We should all root for the heroic yet tragically misunderstood bondage torture elves.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

Its this weird thing where Death, Destruction and Chaos all make sense thematically and have strong background ties to each other, but Order literally might as well be renamed Miscellaneous

Edit: I wonder if AoS might benefit from having a 'neutral' grand alliance, similar to Mercenaries/Minions in Warmahordes or Outcasts in Malifaux where the stuff that doesn't fit into the main factions goes.

Yeah agreed there. Fyreslayers are already said to be willing to work for any faction that pays them.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Destruction is actually more chaotic than Chaos.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
It’s a pretty common theme in fantasy and sci-fi that order is not necessarily the same as good. Hiving them off into their own Grand Alliance would mean people couldn’t mix and match them so much with other stuff. Also you couldn’t run them with other Aelves and I think a common and fair criticism here is that the sodding things are already too fragmented. I guess you could go down the route of 40K 7th alliance matrices, but 1) that was forever having to be patched as new armies came out and 2) it was fairly restrictive for some armies and prevented GW from converting you into slowly acquiring a new army after buying a squad of X to support your current army.

It’s chiefly a business reason, but it’s not a bad one and doesn’t impact the setting and story. You probably wouldn’t get the Knights Excelsior allying themselves with vile witchkin, but maybe some of the others might.

Incidentally I’m loving reading about the Knights Excelsior slowly lose the plot.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

MonsterEnvy posted:

My ideal hope would be for GW to revive WHFB and it's setting in a new game.

They could save themselves the 28mm overlap and remake Warmaster as a 15mm massed battle game. It'd be more appropriate for the scale of WHFB conflicts and would look more like Total War for those whose interest got peaked because of it. Plus you still get to have well detailed large centerpiece models.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Which does not make much sense to me. As pretty much all of the Order factions are Allies and I still can't see Morathi working with them.

I mean, obviously we need to see, but I wouldn't be surprised to only see other Elves on their ally list. Maybe only the Dark Elf factions, who knows. It'd be neat if they could bring some chaos units in and have them count as their faction.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 19, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

e: derp

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Which does not make much sense to me. As pretty much all of the Order factions are Allies and I still can't see Morathi working with them. You would still be able to take Stormcasts as allies and vice versa which makes no sense to me. Like GA Destruction makes more sense for them then Order. I think they might as well make another Grand Alliance and call it Shadows or Darkness, and make it the forces of Ulgu.

Adding to GW's response on the matter, just think of "Order" as being diametrically opposed to Chaos. That's it - not "good," not "evil," just not aligned with the Chaos Pantheon. Consider it as "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" - there is nothing saying that they can't or won't fight each other, just that they will stand together to oppose Chaos because it's bad for business if they don't.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

berzerkmonkey posted:

Adding to GW's response on the matter, just think of "Order" as being diametrically opposed to Chaos. That's it - not "good," not "evil," just not aligned with the Chaos Pantheon. Consider it as "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" - there is nothing saying that they can't or won't fight each other, just that they will stand together to oppose Chaos because it's bad for business if they don't.

No I get it, I'm not confused as to why they're Order, its more of a pure gut reaction from me where my mind goes:

"Death Metal Elves are so cool, except they're friends with Stormcast Eternals ew"

like I said its insanely petty but it tarnishes the faction a little bit for me.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It feels like there's a faction or two missing from the list. There's Order, which is nominally the good guys, and then there's three factions that are nominally villains - spikey evil Chaos, Death and Destruction. On the other hand, if you added more factions you'd make the already fractured situation with them even worse unless you start aggressively rolling the disparate Empire and Elves stuff together.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
There is nothing stopping you at the end of every game you play, saying "... and then the Daughters of Khaine murdered their allies." You could even play it out, if you had the time.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

To be honest I feel like they could do with just changing Destruction to something else and include the "evil" factions along with the current Destruction ones.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm hoping they have a plan to refine the allegiance system. They've been watching the big tournaments so they know the whole grab bag approach to Order isn't healthy considering the amount of Order(mixed) armies place in the top.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

With all the little factions it seems like it was designed to work that way though. I think the problem is that Death and (especially) Destruction need more factions to make them more on par with Order.

I really want to see human armies for all the factions as viable things.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, I'd like to see some 'Good' armies released for the other allegiances. I think they missed a trick aligning the Darkoath models as Chaos. They could have been a cool Destruction army, a nation of tribes banding together against the depredations of Chaos and the stifling control of Sigmar.

VVVV- Yeah, I think it'd be pretty easy to add a Carstein or Blood Knight faction and allow them to ally with one or two of of the old Empire factions to represent serfs living under them for protection like the old Sylvania rules.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 19, 2018

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

It'd also be cool to see a race of 'Good' Undead in Death, something like holy zealots and crusaders whose faith keeps them going even after their bodies have died. Possibly the spirits of Brettonia, come up with something about how the Grail Knights from the old world somehow preserved their spirits but went into hiding / were bound by Nagash, but something has set them free again.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Zark the Damned posted:

It'd also be cool to see a race of 'Good' Undead in Death, something like holy zealots and crusaders whose faith keeps them going even after their bodies have died. Possibly the spirits of Brettonia, come up with something about how the Grail Knights from the old world somehow preserved their spirits but went into hiding / were bound by Nagash, but something has set them free again.

The flesh-eater courts are good! They’re noble lords and ladies fighting to protect the rolling green hills of their home.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Tardigrade posted:

The flesh-eater courts are good! They’re noble lords and ladies fighting to protect the rolling green hills of their home.

Very true. They have awesome fluff.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Morathi will cost about double what I'm willing to pay for her. :staredog:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

Morathi will cost about double what I'm willing to pay for her. :staredog:

Well at least you will be getting two nice models instead of one.

Price wise I would expect she should be around the level of Nagash to Arielelle at most. So 105 to 130.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well at least you will be getting two nice models instead of one.

Price wise I would expect she should be around the level of Nagash to Arielelle at most. So 105 to 130.

The top end of that. Two models does lessen the blow, but looking at the 40k triumvirate boxes makes me salty all over again snakeform better be fukken huge.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm just hoping those wings have joints big enough to magnetize for transpo.

We'll know tomorrow when stores get their pre-order preview and it leaks online, but I'm going $140. She looks like she might have Morty's wingspan beat, which makes sense since I imagine GW is anticipating sales to 40k players looking to make a Fulgrim conversion.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 19, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Oh hey just saw this

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/02/19/daughters-khaine-part-1-daughters-khainegw-homepage-post-3/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Was just about to post that.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never realized Jeremy Vetock was American

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
After reading the justification for them being in GA order. I say it still does not work.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm just hoping those wings have joints big enough to magnetize for transpo.

In the video it looks like it could be a single piece so maybe it's just a big panel that sockets into the torso.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Zark the Damned posted:

Now I have the image of that army looking like the Heide Knights from Dark Souls 2 and I'm forever gonna be salty it doesn't exist.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
One of the Malign Portents stories describes human crossbowmen hiding behind a skeleton shield wall and I'd really like that kind of hybrid for a Death-aligned human army. A mix of human and skeleton troops collaborating together, backed by necromancers and lead by a local lord or a low-level vampire.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Are the Allegiance abilities in the Firestorm box useable outside of it?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Didn't the last GHB just depreciate all those bundle release rules?

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Quick flick through the Malign Portents book on the train home - some awesome bits of fluff in there. Little nuggets that make you go “Ooh what would happen next”, and some novel insights. Some nice bits of ominous art. The book exists to push the models and the terrain - but the Harbingers getting access to their own personal stratagems is a really clever idea. There’s some lovely stratagems there, will be a real blast. Use the rules for beerhammer (best hammer) and all will be good. It’s made me pumped for my next game.

Also some of the art in that Khaine video is amazing. Love the art direction. Love the twist with Morathi.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

S.J. posted:

Are the Allegiance abilities in the Firestorm box useable outside of it?

Per GW yes, but most tournament organizers haven’t been allowing them though so you don’t see them much. It’s a bummer.

People would probably be more into them if they weren’t part of a $70 campaign box that no one uses. It’d be cool if they showed up in the next GHB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Danimo posted:

Per GW yes, but most tournament organizers haven’t been allowing them though so you don’t see them much. It’s a bummer.

People would probably be more into them if they weren’t part of a $70 campaign box that no one uses. It’d be cool if they showed up in the next GHB.

That sucks. They seem really neat, and lets some factions use allegiances that don't otherwise have them outside of the generic 4. I dunno if they're actually OP or w/e though.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 19, 2018

• Locked thread