Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I got pretty good at pogoing, but could never get a hang of doing it off the void bug things in the White Palace.
The container shard you get by bouncing off the centipede was one of the best challenges in the games.
Or at least the most ridiculous and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I extracted the music from that place (well, technically from climbing the abyss) from the game because it's so incredible and not on the soundtrack for some bizarre reason, but even listening to it without the sawblades I can still hear them :ghost:

That was actually my biggest issue with PoP. That track is indeed loving fantastic, and it hit hard when it showed up in the other place. But listening to it for 2 hours straight while doing hard platforming around dozens of saws was rather dissonant.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

wyoming posted:

I got pretty good at pogoing, but could never get a hang of doing it off the void bug things in the White Palace.
The container shard you get by bouncing off the centipede was one of the best challenges in the games.
Or at least the most ridiculous and fun.

Did you try quick slash? Most of my issues with pogo are due to slashing a fraction of a second early and getting punished.

Haven't seen the Path of Pain yet. Do want to, but I'll probably have to check a FAQ to find it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

The White Palace is actually extremely fun.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
White palace is the worst level of this, and any other, video game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's certainly that odd that you get 1 level of Super Meat Boy after 15 levels of Metroid. There's nothing this intense except the quest for the flower.

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

At first, I didn't like the white palace.

But then... I did.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

brain dammej posted:

At first, I didn't like the white palace.

But then... I did.

Solid post/user name combo.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

morcant posted:

I always get a laugh out of this video re: flower quest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M797yfB06QA

Braava! :black101:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I went back to check up on the Grubfather and all my little Grub buddies! :)

I... uhhh... I hope this is just part of their life-cycle and they'll all be okay, considering he's thinking about how happy he is :stare:

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Your Computer posted:

I extracted the music from that place (well, technically from climbing the abyss) from the game because it's so incredible and not on the soundtrack for some bizarre reason, but even listening to it without the sawblades I can still hear them :ghost:

movement feels way better in Hollow Knight tho'

also pogo

I found someone on youtube who had mixed together a 10-minute version of that song and grabbed it with a youtube-to-mp3 service. :filez: :v:

And yeah, it's a fantastic tune. So haunting.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

The music throughout is just fantastic. I think the first hornet fight was where I really noticed how apt it was, and it just kept getting better after that.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I love the White Palace and, especially, the Path of Pain EXACTLY because they're unlike anything else in the entire game.

Hollow Knight overall is about fighting bugs. The platforming isn't challenging, with a couple unique rooms thrown in that require tricky pogojumping/wallclimbing/dashing or whatnot. The obstacles are mostly enemies with wildly different behaviour/movement. It's an action game first and foremost. Hell, I'd argue it goes in that direction more than Super Metroid, which has stuff like Morphball/Ice Beam/blocks with unknown properties. It really does resemble Dark Souls more in that regard, as tired as that comparison is (of course, how that action handles is ENTIRELY different, so it's more of a design philosophy thing...).

And in comes White Palace, which disregards all that and is just 100% precision platformer like Super Meatboy.

Hahahahahahaha

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I love how the White Palace is basically you want the best ending? Fine, you'd better prove that you've mastered every aspect of the game, including the platforming.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hope you white palace likers are playing Celeste

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

lets hang out posted:

discovering my first b-side (chapter 2) was a :stonk: moment

Dancer
May 23, 2011

lets hang out posted:

To my personal friends, I declared Hollow Knight my GOTY 2017 something like 2 days after release (24 february), and it has stayed that way (though Prey came close). I'm fairly close to saying the same about Celeste.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dancer posted:

To my personal friends, I declared Hollow Knight my GOTY 2017 something like 2 days after release (24 february), and it has stayed that way (though Prey came close). I'm fairly close to saying the same about Celeste.

this except Iconoclasts

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

lets hang out posted:

I've got a backlog, man. Give me some time to wade through it and I'll pick it up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Torquemadras posted:

I love the White Palace and, especially, the Path of Pain EXACTLY because they're unlike anything else in the entire game.

Hollow Knight overall is about fighting bugs. The platforming isn't challenging, with a couple unique rooms thrown in that require tricky pogojumping/wallclimbing/dashing or whatnot. The obstacles are mostly enemies with wildly different behaviour/movement. It's an action game first and foremost. Hell, I'd argue it goes in that direction more than Super Metroid, which has stuff like Morphball/Ice Beam/blocks with unknown properties. It really does resemble Dark Souls more in that regard, as tired as that comparison is (of course, how that action handles is ENTIRELY different, so it's more of a design philosophy thing...).

And in comes White Palace, which disregards all that and is just 100% precision platformer like Super Meatboy.

Hahahahahahaha

This is the reason why I dislike it. I hate precision platforming so I had zero fun with it. I would've liked it a lot more if it had some amount of combat mixed in. It suddenly felt like I was playing a different game from the one I'd been loving up until that point.

Yet despite this I still beat the Path of Pain and did it with Jodi's Blessing equipped because I'm an idiot.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Internet Kraken posted:

This is the reason why I dislike it. I hate precision platforming so I had zero fun with it. I would've liked it a lot more if it had some amount of combat mixed in. It suddenly felt like I was playing a different game from the one I'd been loving up until that point.

Yet despite this I still beat the Path of Pain and did it with Jodi's Blessing equipped because I'm an idiot.
I liked it but I understand why people say it's out of place with the rest of the game because it is.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, that stuff is pretty much crack for me. I've been mainlining Celeste in the past few days, too. Obviously I really enjoy the "main style" of Hollow Knight as well. But I was especially glad the White Palace showed up, because it demonstrated just how far the developers were capable of taking the platforming aspect.

I mean, just imagine the developers going all-out and combining the two: methodical combat supported by platforming, AND hardcore platforming. Certainly not for everyone, I'm sure. But I'd love another Path of Pain-type area that throws REALLY nasty combinations of platforming and actual enemies at you... Basically still methodical combat, but under even more pressure. Hahahahaaaaaa

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I liked it but I understand why people say it's out of place with the rest of the game because it is.

it absolutely 100% is no matter if someone enjoyed it or not

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Also I still maintain that regardless of how much you enjoy the platforming, the constant BZZZZZZZZZZ from the buzzsaws ruins the melancholic atmosphere of White Palace. They feel really out of place compared to the hazards found in the rest of the game.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The White Palace isn't that great because a lot of the platforming isn't precision - there are a significant number of randomized obstacles, depending on your timing, with relatively large obstacle hitboxes, and a lot of the challenge comes not from pressing buttons at the right time, but letting them go at the right time, which is a skill that is not only not otherwise developed in the rest of the game, but is generally not a skill that is often expected in video games in any capacity, and as such is extremely difficult - and frustrating - to learn.

Like, there's nothing fun about randomly dying to an obstacle that you didn't even know was there on that ceiling because you happened to hold onto the jump button for an extra frame during that attempt.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

actually the white palace is indeed great

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Bleck posted:

...a lot of the challenge comes not from pressing buttons at the right time, but letting them go at the right time, which is a skill that is not only not otherwise developed in the rest of the game, but is generally not a skill that is often expected in video games in any capacity, and as such is extremely difficult - and frustrating - to learn.

I actually liked this aspect of it quite a bit - learning to release a jump early is a skill that's been around but not omnipresent at least since some of the early Megaman games, if not longer. Having to extend that to the dash in the spear hallway screwed me up for longer than it should have but it was rewarding when it finally clicked. I cannot recall any places where this comes up in a way that doesn't have visual cues present in advance but I haven't played since Path of Pain so maybe something really unfair is in there.

I do agree it would be better if the game taught these skills before testing them, but I'm not sure how it would have done that organically without making less-optional content substantially more difficult for a lot of people.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
That's kind of my point, though - while it may or may not have been enjoyable for some people, the fact that is uses a skill that is otherwise not important at all in the rest of the game is a probably-not-good choice as far as game design goes.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, and I'm agreeing with you on that part of it. I'm just also saying it is cool and good to incorporate skills that are less-commonly used in games and I was glad to see that despite its incongruence - I mean the entire White Palace is already, as everyone agrees, an almost completely different skillset than the rest of the game. In that context I appreciated it, but I totally get why people would prefer that context not happen. How much slack to cut it on "optional side area" grounds is a personal call.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Bleck posted:

That's kind of my point, though - while it may or may not have been enjoyable for some people, the fact that is uses a skill that is otherwise not important at all in the rest of the game is a probably-not-good choice as far as game design goes.
Counterpoint, this part of the game is optional

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Optional things can be good, or bad, or fitting, or misplaced.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arrhythmia posted:

Optional things can be good, or bad, or fitting, or misplaced.

But this one is good

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Somehow, I never get tired of White Palace Discourse, i mean that seriously too... It’s good to have things that test you now and again imo... I really don’t think it was prohibitively difficult, as much as you just do have to think about it now and again, and do something you haven’t before, which I don’t think is overly burdensome! But that is my opinion and we all have them, god bless the white palace

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Disagree with this. While you can get an ending without beating white Palace its obviously not the good ending and you miss a lot of content by doing it. I'd consider getting the Radiance ending to be what all players should aim for to get the best experience out of Hollow Knight, and that requires beating White Palace.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, saying White Palace is optional is disingenuous. And honestly I'd be okay if they toned down the vanilla palace since us masochists have Path of Pain now, it's by far the most contentious part of the game as-is.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Disagree with this. While you can get an ending without beating white Palace its obviously not the good ending and you miss a lot of content by doing it. I'd consider getting the Radiance ending to be what all players should aim for to get the best experience out of Hollow Knight, and that requires beating White Palace.

I mean I agree that it makes for the best experience, but part of the reason is that the Radiance ending involves a really great and fairly challenging final boss fight. I would suspect that a large majority of people who can't handle the White Palace (buzzsaw soundtrack objectors aside) would not be able to handle that fight either.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Precision platforming requires a pretty different skillset and approach than a difficult boss fight though. Beating the Radiance didn't take nearly as long as clearing White Palace did for me.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Irony.or.Death posted:

I would suspect that a large majority of people who can't handle the White Palace (buzzsaw soundtrack objectors aside) would not be able to handle that fight either.

See above regarding how combat and platforming are two different skillsets, only one of which the game has you developing as you play. It's not a question of being Good at Video Games, but rather, suddenly being expected to be good at a video game that you haven't been playing. The comparisons of the White Palace to Super Meat Boy are accurate, and I think unintentionally demonstrate the problem - imagine if Super Metroid suddenly interrupted itself 90% of the way through and gave you a bunch of end-game Super Meat Boy levels to play. Even if you like Super Meat Boy - which I do! - it's jarring, and a little inorganic, and a bit frustrating as a result.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

except there has been quite a few platforming challenges throughout Hollow Knight. Getting the Crystal Heart, getting the Greatslash, and the passage down from City of Tears to Ancient Basin are a few notable ones. None quite so involved as the White Palace, but saying the game has never expected you to do challenging platforming is just incorrect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
None of the platforming in the rest of the game is nearly as hard though. Also its usually not completely divorced from combat like White Palace is. It feels drastically different from the rest of the game.