Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I'm incredibly confused.

Here's a big dumb block of text feel free to ignore it because I just like rambling

Basically White Wolf died in the early aughts and became an IP licensing company with like one remaining employee so they could still hold onto their assets and licensed their work out to Onyx Path, a company founded by an ex-White Wolf creative director to keep publishing roleplaying game books.They rebooted the World of Darkness to get it away from some of the busted rules, mind-numbingly convoluted metaplot, and outdated concepts (the dated-even-in-the-90's goth punk Vampire, the racist Native American ecoterrorism of Werewolf, the new age-y bullshit of Mage, whatever the gently caress was going on in Changeling) of the old WoD.

At some point the EVE Online guys buy White Wolf for an MMO that never comes out, and in addition to the New World of Darkness OP begins putting out 20th anniversary editions of the old WoD games that have a lot of the more questionable poo poo filed out (except Mage which just continues to be exactly the same).

Fast forward to a couple of years ago. Paradox buys White Wolf, announces their plans to turn it into a ~media empire~ by reviving the old World of Darkness games, and puts a swedish LARPer as "storyline director" because they don't give a gently caress. They force OP to rename their World of Darkness to "Chronicles of Darkness" to make it less important than their own work, and immediately start bumblefucking their way into every possible bigot pitfall, like putting out a Vampire text adventure game written by a known serial harasser/transphobe, releasing the aforementioned Vampire the Masquerade demo about evil muslims and making one of the sample characters your players are expected to play as for the demo a pedophile, and actually managing to not release anything on their own despite having several years to do so.

Not coincidentally OP has started focusing on games they actually own.

Alaois posted:

I SAID IT WOULD TAKE TOO LONG AND THIS ISN'T THE RIGHT THREAD FOR IT

I'M SORRY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
in conclusion the McElroys should probably not play a World of Darkness game

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Alaois posted:

I SAID IT WOULD TAKE TOO LONG AND THIS ISN'T THE RIGHT THREAD FOR IT

You were correct and I acknowledged that immediately.

So let me divert a little and once again ask everyone to listen to Losing The Sheen, a pre-Sawbones podcast where Justin and Sydnee watch Two and a Half Men during it's transition to Ashton Kutcher. It's full of barely tempered hatred and very funny.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Blockhouse posted:

It kinda sounds like nobody should. Except maybe for racist sexist transphobic pedophile werewolves?

Not Operator posted:

So let me divert a little and once again ask everyone to listen to Losing The Sheen, a pre-Sawbones podcast where Justin and Sydnee watch Two and a Half Men during it's transition to Ashton Kutcher. It's full of barely tempered hatred and very funny.

I really want to check out the finale at some point, but for that I would have to procure the last episode of Talfmen, and like hell am I buying that.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Also the show is warm dogshit and they could only bear to watch like eight episodes so you can bang it out in an afternoon.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Not Operator posted:

I had no idea this even existed

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I bring it up every six months or so just in case, y/w.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Not Operator posted:

Also the show is warm dogshit and they could only bear to watch like eight episodes so you can bang it out in an afternoon.

One of the max fun pledge episodes is them bringing the podcast back one last time to watch the absolutely bizarre final episode.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Blockhouse posted:

Oh, absolutely, definitely not.

The only reason I brought it up was because the idea is so horrifyingly, ludicrously wrong.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Ariong posted:

It kinda sounds like nobody should. Except maybe for racist sexist transphobic pedophile werewolves?

Please don’t kinkshame.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Blockhouse posted:

like putting out a Vampire text adventure game

I just keep getting more confused by all of this and will settle on Eve Online devs are dumb.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Blockhouse posted:

Here's a big dumb block of text feel free to ignore it because I just like rambling

Basically White Wolf died in the early aughts and became an IP licensing company with like one remaining employee so they could still hold onto their assets and licensed their work out to Onyx Path, a company founded by an ex-White Wolf creative director to keep publishing roleplaying game books.They rebooted the World of Darkness to get it away from some of the busted rules, mind-numbingly convoluted metaplot, and outdated concepts (the dated-even-in-the-90's goth punk Vampire, the racist Native American ecoterrorism of Werewolf, the new age-y bullshit of Mage, whatever the gently caress was going on in Changeling) of the old WoD.

At some point the EVE Online guys buy White Wolf for an MMO that never comes out, and in addition to the New World of Darkness OP begins putting out 20th anniversary editions of the old WoD games that have a lot of the more questionable poo poo filed out (except Mage which just continues to be exactly the same).

Fast forward to a couple of years ago. Paradox buys White Wolf, announces their plans to turn it into a ~media empire~ by reviving the old World of Darkness games, and puts a swedish LARPer as "storyline director" because they don't give a gently caress. They force OP to rename their World of Darkness to "Chronicles of Darkness" to make it less important than their own work, and immediately start bumblefucking their way into every possible bigot pitfall, like putting out a Vampire text adventure game written by a known serial harasser/transphobe, releasing the aforementioned Vampire the Masquerade demo about evil muslims and making one of the sample characters your players are expected to play as for the demo a pedophile, and actually managing to not release anything on their own despite having several years to do so.

Not coincidentally OP has started focusing on games they actually own.

I'M SORRY

And if you want to learn about how lovely Onyx Path is there's this :NSFW: WTF?!? DnD article https://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/burn-down-whitewolf/1/

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And if you want to learn about how lovely Onyx Path is there's this :NSFW: WTF?!? DnD article https://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/burn-down-whitewolf/1/

Both of the people who worked on that first page thing were fired and one of them is also a sexual harasser (though he was sacked before that came up)

the other stuff in that article is from White Wolf

also while we're airing out dirty tabletop laundry it's a bummer Travis went with Urban Shadows since that game's creator is also kind of a dipshit

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 17, 2018

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, this is an incredibly poor example as the end product of exalted 3e is nothing like that and everything else is from White Wolf. Onyx Path is a decent company that has had a few stumbles but is overall a lot better then most rpg makers.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I haven't kept up with WW since Paradox bought them but Demon: The Descent and the Mummy one were extremely fun to read.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Not Operator posted:

The sequel show Satellite Dish was also good, specifically the Modelland eps

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
How many lost McElroy podcasts are there?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blockhouse posted:

None yet but I would totally listen to a podcast where all the McElroys are locked in a room and forced to watch LOST.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Nuebot posted:

None yet but I would totally listen to a podcast where all the McElroys are locked in a room and forced to watch LOST.

I really don’t need to watch Alaois melt down trying to decide if the proper contrarian take is to say the brothers aren’t bothering to think about it or if no one can

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i would listen to that podcast actually

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blockhouse posted:

Release the Gooshy tapes

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you know what McElroy fandom thing is neat? TAZ/MBMBAM crossover animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGY3b7ngV10

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The best way to play WoD/CoD is to ignore all of the lore and make up whatever you want.

The history, iconic characters and all that is just abysmal. I forget what book it was but it dealt with sending a nuke to an alternate dimension to kill ghosts.
That's the level of sophistication most of the time.

The system itself is pretty great, if a bit slow.

I ran several Vampire campaigns, a long Hunter one and an experimental mixed monster game like Buffy. All were a ton of fun because no one wanted to pretend they were in an Anne Rice novel.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Inzombiac posted:

The history, iconic characters and all that is just abysmal. I forget what book it was but it dealt with sending a nuke to an alternate dimension to kill ghosts.

Okay, well, now you’re bringing it back.

sexpig by night posted:

This is great.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

sexpig by night posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDmzYTu77XE

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Have you ever been to the deep web

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Inzombiac posted:

The best way to play WoD/CoD is to ignore all of the lore and make up whatever you want.

That's the level of sophistication most of the time.

The system itself is pretty great, if a bit slow.

I ran several Vampire campaigns, a long Hunter one and an experimental mixed monster game like Buffy. All were a ton of fun because no one wanted to pretend they were in an Anne Rice novel.
I haven't played any WoD since oWoD, but this was certainly true then. VtM is fantastic if you ignore the dumb and/or racist parts of the metaplot and your group can get the right balance of political intrigue, angst, hilarious hijinks, and horror that the game is supposed to be. Dunno how easy that is, but my doofy high school/college group did it, and those were some of the most memorable campaigns we ever had. And tbh, rolling a shitload of d10s was hella fun.

That said, good lord the McElroys should go nowhere near it. Count me in on the Paranoia and Fiasco for short term games love club, they would kill it in those games.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Tears In A Vial posted:

Have you ever been to the deep web

you mean where griffin got the new wu tang album?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
HEY EVERYONE IT'S ME MASTER KILLER

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

sexpig by night posted:

Holy poo poo, The cover of wonderwall!

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I don't read this thread so apologies if this has already been posted but I came across someone familiar in Sea of Thieves last night...

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It’s been posted but it’s awesome, as is this moment from Griffin’s twitch stream

https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/958203721984376832

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
That's pretty amazing.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I like their news roundup (Trends Like These) but with Courtney Enlow's contribution they're just a series of news bits with random misandry thrown in. I get that a lot of men are awful, but she takes it to a playground kind of mentality. Saying Hitler had some skill in painting is not "a defense of Hitler." It's just a loving fact, or a statistic. Saying Donald Trump has comparatively good grammar on Twitter is not a defense of Trump's character or anything else, it's just an observation of a skill or a trait. Her minutes-long, fallacy-prone rants about how men are awful are painful to listen to because somehow she takes a simple, pretty much self-driving argument (many men in power are awful people) and somehow manages to fill it so full of subjective bullshit, personal anger and frustration and grossly exaggerated interpretations of what other people said or did that it ruins the argument. It's like taking a rapist and then also accusing him of being awful to animals. Like, maybe he is, but stick to the argument if all your evidence is about how awful rapists are and has nothing to do with puppies.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
sir the question was 'is this your handwriting'

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Milwaukee's up.

I don't think we'll ever see the Atlanta show.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Milwaukee live show is up, cursed Atlanta show remains cursed

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

credburn posted:

I like their news roundup (Trends Like These) but with Courtney Enlow's contribution they're just a series of news bits with random misandry thrown in. I get that a lot of men are awful, but she takes it to a playground kind of mentality. Saying Hitler had some skill in painting is not "a defense of Hitler." It's just a loving fact, or a statistic. Saying Donald Trump has comparatively good grammar on Twitter is not a defense of Trump's character or anything else, it's just an observation of a skill or a trait. Her minutes-long, fallacy-prone rants about how men are awful are painful to listen to because somehow she takes a simple, pretty much self-driving argument (many men in power are awful people) and somehow manages to fill it so full of subjective bullshit, personal anger and frustration and grossly exaggerated interpretations of what other people said or did that it ruins the argument. It's like taking a rapist and then also accusing him of being awful to animals. Like, maybe he is, but stick to the argument if all your evidence is about how awful rapists are and has nothing to do with puppies.

I don't know what you're talking about really but if someone was telling me about how good Trump's twitter grammar was I would definitely take it as a strange (and super pathetic) attempt to defend him.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I like Trends Like These and the addition of Courtney Enlow has been extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I can't listen to it. The news sucks too much and neither one of them are really that great at taking about it. The last thing I want to listen to is more news coverage