Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Publix subs are the reason I will never leave the Southeast no matter how high the sea level gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My in-laws have never suggested we try them when we're with them in FL. What do you like about them?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

My in-laws have never suggested we try them when we're with them in FL. What do you like about them?
Then your in-laws either hate you or are ignorant of one of the top 5 best things about Florida.

For what you pay at Subway for a 90% bread sandwich full of rubber meat and sad vegetables you can get an amazing fresh everything Publix sub.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Publix subs are the reason I will never leave the Southeast no matter how high the sea level gets.

You say that because you've never had a Wegmans Sub.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If I only need staples I go to Aldi.

Though, I should really pay attention to some of the prices because I'm not sure how much of a deal some of their things are.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Alterian posted:

You say that because you've never had a Wawa Sub.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I was wondering why there were 150 posts in this thread and of course its regional grocer talk where someone mentions their favorite chain and 4/5 of the other posters have never heard of them.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

Xaris posted:

Could be a ymmv thing, but here in the Bay Area, Whole Foods is pretty much the same price as Safeway. This is not meant to say that it's cheap, but Safeway is usually the only game in town and super expensive af for shittier quality at nearly same price as WF items, so I might as well shop at the latter and at least they have most checkouts manned instead of race-to-the-bottom employment approach of Safeway. The only difference is Safeway tends to run some slightly more coupon/promo price in which case yeah they are slightly cheaper but you can't rely on that all the time.

I loathe Safeway

Literally cannot read the word Safeway without posting about how much I loving hate them. Every Safeway I have been to, all of them, without fail, have run the numbers and figured out how to have exactly half as many people as they need on the resisters at any given time. Doesn't matter if it's 5 pm, 5 am, or anywhere in between, you will wait in line behind someone with a full cart in the express lane. Half the self checkouts will be down for no reason. Batteries are now kept behind the customer service counter and the person with the full cart in the express lane is gonna need em.

The people working there have pretty uniformly been nice though. Like it is not their fault corporate wants to make getting out of Safeway as unpleasant as humanly possible.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Safeway in Canada was one of the few unionized grocery stores so my family would often go there growing up because of it. We all eventually stopped because it was poo poo. It was nearly twice as big as the one near our house yet seemed to have half the selection. They'd have 100 extra types of frozen TV dinners and every variety of white bread you could imagine but somehow not stock a bunch of the produce you were looking for. They also had twice as many tills but were about 4x as slow to process people. Having 1-2 people in front of you in the line would be the equivalent wait of having 6-8 people in front of you at the other place. The staff there were just excruciatingly slow.

They got bought out and are no longer union and have entirely new staff and managers, but the last time I went in they were just as painfully slow. But I've found most suburban grocery stores are slow as gently caress as both the staff and customers are use to it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Literally cannot read the word Safeway without posting about how much I loving hate them. Every Safeway I have been to, all of them, without fail, have run the numbers and figured out how to have exactly half as many people as they need on the resisters at any given time. Doesn't matter if it's 5 pm, 5 am, or anywhere in between, you will wait in line behind someone with a full cart in the express lane. Half the self checkouts will be down for no reason. Batteries are now kept behind the customer service counter and the person with the full cart in the express lane is gonna need em.

The people working there have pretty uniformly been nice though. Like it is not their fault corporate wants to make getting out of Safeway as unpleasant as humanly possible.

I like the Safeway in my town well enough, but I think that's largely because the other grocery store is a Mollie Stones, which is where you go if your eggs just weren't bougie before and you need a $7.99 price tag on them to feel alive. I'll deal with a line to avoid spending 2-3X the cost of everything on my groceries.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
See, that's funny because Safeway in Seattle is where I go for normal things that Grocery Outlet either doesn't have or only has the worst version of.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Grocery Outlet is like a huge vending machine that always has different stuff. It’s all priced to move but you might not actually want what they have when you go in.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We used to have Safeway in the U.K. but it got bought out. (Or in my towns case, burn down) All our supermarkets/grocery stores are exactly the same as Safeway, with small variations making them slightly more upmarket or downmarket. The own brand stuff is also identical but for the label. It’s basically your worst nightmare of retail homogenisation.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Grocery Outlet is like a huge vending machine that always has different stuff. It’s all priced to move but you might not actually want what they have when you go in.

Grocery Outlet is funny because you can't go there for something specific, it's all random stuff all the time.

They have a surprisingly good beer selection but their gimmick seems to be to stock all of the previous quarter's seasonal beers and in guessing these cases must have been sitting out in the hot California sun for 4 months because even though they're much cheaper than getting the same varieties elsewhere, it often ends up being the nastiest, skunkiest bellywash.

Theres a reason they're selling a 6 pack of Victoria for $3.99 and it's because the beer is essentially become the Sludge in the P trap of your kitchen sink at that point.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Domestic Amuse posted:

I've found that Kroger's selection and customer service depends way too much on where they're located. At least Publix makes an effort to have a uniformly good experience no matter which one you shop at.

I live in a college town and there are three Kroger within about 15 minutes of me. One is right behind some dorms and is called "Kroghetto" because it's small, dirty old and doesn't have a huge selection.

Then there's the Kroger near the hospital called "Krogucci" because all the doctors and nurses shop there and it's got a huge cheese selection and a massive organic section, sushi, salad and lunch bars and a bigger selection over all. A lot more ethnic foods too.

Then there's townie Kroger in the townie part of town that is somewhere in between the two, leaning closer to Kroghetto.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Stop and Shop? Stop and Shop.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/966464575192424454

Another 200 store closures by Toys R Us. There's talk it'll go from bankruptcy into administration at the end of the month due to not having the money to pay a loan. (not in this article)

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I live in a college town and there are three Kroger within about 15 minutes of me. One is right behind some dorms and is called "Kroghetto" because it's small, dirty old and doesn't have a huge selection.

Then there's the Kroger near the hospital called "Krogucci" because all the doctors and nurses shop there and it's got a huge cheese selection and a massive organic section, sushi, salad and lunch bars and a bigger selection over all. A lot more ethnic foods too.

Then there's townie Kroger in the townie part of town that is somewhere in between the two, leaning closer to Kroghetto.

It's at least partly an age thing; the newer your Kroger, the nicer it is.

I live in the middle of nowhere, but when Kroger bought out one of the dying Winn Dixies, they renovated it and put in a sushi bar and dedicated cheese pavilion. Also, live music on weekends.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I live in the middle of nowhere, but when Kroger bought out one of the dying Winn Dixies, they renovated it and put in a sushi bar and dedicated cheese pavilion. Also, live music on weekends.

Grocery stores doing stuff like this is the weirdest drat thing, but I guess it all has to do with the previously discussed low margins and borderline insolvency chains run at.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

You can pry my grocery store sushi out of my cold dead hands.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

my kroger has those things plus a straight up bar in it

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

learnincurve posted:

We used to have Safeway in the U.K. but it got bought out. (Or in my towns case, burn down) All our supermarkets/grocery stores are exactly the same as Safeway, with small variations making them slightly more upmarket or downmarket. The own brand stuff is also identical but for the label. It’s basically your worst nightmare of retail homogenisation.

I liked Waitrose more than the others when we were in London, but that might be because it was on the same block so we could get fresh breakfast pastries, which aren't a thing in the US.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Then your in-laws either hate you or are ignorant of one of the top 5 best things about Florida.

For what you pay at Subway for a 90% bread sandwich full of rubber meat and sad vegetables you can get an amazing fresh everything Publix sub.

The literally got Subway for themselves while we were there. My wife and I are a Jersey Mike's family.

Alterian posted:

You say that because you've never had a Wegmans Sub.

In-laws are all from Rochester where they would shop at the flagship Wegmans, so that might be it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

You can pry my grocery store sushi out of my cold dead hands.

I don't have a grocery store nearby that sells sushi, but I do have like 3 sushi restaurants all within 3 miles of each other, and two chinese buffets that offer some sushi.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I can't think of one near me that doesn't have sushi. I can think of two with poke bars.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

I don't have a grocery store nearby that sells sushi, but I do have like 3 sushi restaurants all within 3 miles of each other, and two chinese buffets that offer some sushi.

We have a Mexican restaurant that sells sushi.

It is peak America.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

In-laws are all from Rochester where they would shop at the flagship Wegmans, so that might be it.

The one in Pittsford? That one is pretty great. They are finally making their way to where I live in NC and I am excited. The bottom of this article lists all the grocery chains we have in this area. http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article154006074.html

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
There was a Wegman's in the college town in New England where I went to graduate school. I remember it being quite expensive, but it was the only place locally where I could find all of the French and British foods that I miss from living in Europe.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/02/when-malls-saved-cities-from-capitalism/553610/

i lust for more mall death

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

kind of a weird example because lenox mall is doing fine. it's one of two malls in the metro area directly adjacent to a subway station

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I love it when people nickname their Krogers.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/maps/a-definitive-mildly-wrong-map-of-atl-kroger-nicknames
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...84.4821852&z=11

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

i am harry posted:

Uh yeah if you like pretending you're a racist old southern lady venturing out from her normal Piggly Wiggly stop. Market Basket is literally the shittiest grocery store in the country and just barely qualifies to be in the category. Kroger is what loving owns.

It's weird someone can be so wrong about something

Mb is love, mb is life

MORE FOR YOUR DOLLAR

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

i used to shop at murder kroger between 10pm-2am back between 2002-2006. it was a weird place. the redevelopment cannot remove the stain. viva "fancy murder kroger"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10P17XX5xz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHbziqRdNC8

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Best grocery store I've very been to was the Carrefour in Tbilisi. Full service bar in one corner serving fine alcohol, all the carts had cup holders, get sloshed and buy groceries! :cheers:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

The Slack Lagoon posted:

MORE FOR YOUR DOLLAR

Is literally a lie.

Beachcomber posted:

I liked Waitrose more than the others when we were in London, but that might be because it was on the same block so we could get fresh breakfast pastries, which aren't a thing in the US.

Sainsbury's is the best of the heap. Waitrose is nice if you like paying a tenner for four meringues. Same goes for M&S but w some whipped cream pressed between them. :colbert:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Rime posted:

Best grocery store I've very been to was the Carrefour in Tbilisi. Full service bar in one corner serving fine alcohol, all the carts had cup holders, get sloshed and buy groceries! :cheers:

How big is that chain? I remember going to one in Lille (France)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

actionjackson posted:

How big is that chain? I remember going to one in Lille (France)

All across Europe, Asia and Africa, and a few South American locations.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

fishmech posted:

All across Europe, Asia and Africa, and a few South American locations.
China as well.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Alterian posted:

The one in Pittsford? That one is pretty great. They are finally making their way to where I live in NC and I am excited. The bottom of this article lists all the grocery chains we have in this area. http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article154006074.html

Yep! My wife actually grew up in the same neighborhood where Danny Wegman lived/lives and they would see him at Christmas parties and stuff.

I wish they'd hop coasts and just clown all the CA grocery stores.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

i am harry posted:

Is literally a lie.

Uhh things that are played from loudspeakers every 5 minutes can't be lies, otherwise they wouldn't be played from loudspeakers every 5 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

See, that's funny because Safeway in Seattle is where I go for normal things that Grocery Outlet either doesn't have or only has the worst version of.

The one in Sodo gets all of the offstock from the downtown whole foods. Pretty kickin shut sometimes.