Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

quote:

You also could easily say that Group activations allow you to execute your activated fighters actions in any order, so that you could charge both in before rolling combat or whatever.

I think this would work, I hope it gets FAQed to this if GW really want to avoid Frostgrave's take on it.

quote:

As for multiple damage - I don’t see why it’s a bad thing that this is more dangerous to single wound targets? That was a thing in Oldamunda also. Or is your concern that the greater availability of multiple damage weapons makes having multiple wounds less valuable?

It's not more dangerous to single wound targets though. It's equally dangerous as it is to multiple wound targets. If a 1W model is wounded by a bolter, you roll two injury dice. If a 2W model is wounded by a bolter, you still roll two injury dice, rather than deducting one wound and rolling one dice. This makes higher toughness much more valuable than higher wounds, despite higher wounds costing a lot more in XP/value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Are you sure that’s how it works? I’ll admit I haven’t read the wounding rules specifically and have just been going with how my group has played it. Maybe we just assumed it wasn’t insane...

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

ineptmule posted:

Are you sure that’s how it works? I’ll admit I haven’t read the wounding rules specifically and have just been going with how my group has played it. Maybe we just assumed it wasn’t insane...

Yup:

quote:

The target’s Wounds characteristic is reduced by the attacking weapon’s Damage value (or by 1 if the attack does not have a Damage value). This reduction lasts for the rest of the battle, if this reduces the target’s Wounds to 0 (or below), the attacking player makes an Injury roll by rolling a number of Injury dice equal to the attacking weapon's Damage characteristic, and resolving each dice as follows: :words:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Ugh that is so dumb.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Turns out we'd been playing that wrong too.

That said though we've also houseruled a bunch of other stuff including toxin so :shrug: we'll probably just do it the sensible way.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Dang that makes zero sense

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

The other thing that really got me, was grenades/launchers. You target a spot, not a character. Sure, this works "fluffily", but means that a basic champion with a launcher is hitting anywhere in LoS and range, on pretty much a 4+ Edit: 3+, the -1 modifier is for short range..

In the past, if you wanted to do that it was a -1 for a small target, plus a range modifier. I'd also like to see launchers have a minimum range, instead of a short range band.

hexa fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 14, 2018

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Grenade launchers are utter cunts in this version, yes. Being able to target a point on the ground means you can effectively negate cover by targeting a point on the ground just next to a feature.

I think you should suffer -2 to hit if targeting a point on the ground.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

They should have them like old school mortars, where you can choose to target a spot but then roll scatter, so you only get the precise spot on a Hit.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Have your buttocks firmly in your hands for this:

quote:

-Tyranids DID NOT ate the squats it was a running joke of the studio 15 years ago !
and other stuff from this Andy Hoare WHTV transcript:
https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/2744

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I mean it was true up until Mantic proved people would spend money on space dwarves.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So are you saying Squats are gonna be shat back out as scrunts?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
My backlog isn’t massive enough so I bought Shadespire rats and skeletons. I immediately want a new Mordheim to use these awesome Skaven sculpts.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Shadin posted:

My backlog isn’t massive enough so I bought Shadespire rats and skeletons. I immediately want a new Mordheim to use these awesome Skaven sculpts.

I really hope this is doing well enough that they eventually do another starter set. Having a few more map options would be nice, but everything so far has been great

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I really hope this is doing well enough that they eventually do another starter set. Having a few more map options would be nice, but everything so far has been great

Agreed. The only thing I haven’t liked is the dwarves and that’s just because I don’t like Fyreslayers and am firmly in the Ironbreakers 4 Lyfe camp.

Shadespire itself is awesome and the sculpts they make are so goddamn usable anywhere their theme would fit. I want a new wave of skeletons and Skaven both that match this newer style.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I would like fyreslayers if they didn't have pants.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 18, 2018

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Reading the Fyreslayerz Codex really sold me on them. I like them as a crazy religion sect who are addicted to the shards of their dead God they forge onto their flesh to get DragonBall Z style powers. Now that the Sky Pirate Dwarfs exist in AoS it is better because there is at least something representative of mainline Dwarf Society.

tldr: Magmadroth rules, basic guys are awful

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Reading the Fyreslayerz Codex really sold me on them. I like them as a crazy religion sect who are addicted to the shards of their dead God they forge onto their flesh to get DragonBall Z style powers. Now that the Sky Pirate Dwarfs exist in AoS it is better because there is at least something representative of mainline Dwarf Society.

tldr: Magmadroth rules, basic guys are awful

To be fair I haven’t read their codex or backstory at all in AOS and my entire position is based on “Naked Dwarves, lol”. I’m sure I’d warm up given some context.

But Ironbreakers are just so cool looking.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yeah, the fact that those last Dwarf kits they don't see more use is a real shame. I really hope they at least mash the Elves (especially high Elves) back into one big faction with a Legion of Nagash style book.

loving Lion Rangers :argh:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I played the new Necromunda for the first time today, only the intro and first scenario though. It seems like a very fun system. Alternating activations and the rolling off at the start of each turn makes a big difference in maintaining interest during your opponent's go.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I played the new Necromunda for the first time today, only the intro and first scenario though. It seems like a very fun system. Alternating activations and the rolling off at the start of each turn makes a big difference in maintaining interest during your opponent's go.

It's hard for me to get behind things without alternating activations at this point.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Picked up Gang War 2 and the new Orlock Stuff. I also got the Escher and Goliath cards packs as I didn’t have them, and only recently realised that they have different cards in to those in the boxed game.

These tactics cards are really cool. Loads of characterful and fun things that you can do with them. Really looking forward to seeing some in action.

However I feel like the vague way the rules for forming your tactics decks is really a problem. My group is thinking about ways that we can add some kind of deck-building rules in to the game. Anyone got any ideas?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

ineptmule posted:

Picked up Gang War 2 and the new Orlock Stuff. I also got the Escher and Goliath cards packs as I didn’t have them, and only recently realised that they have different cards in to those in the boxed game.

These tactics cards are really cool. Loads of characterful and fun things that you can do with them. Really looking forward to seeing some in action.

However I feel like the vague way the rules for forming your tactics decks is really a problem. My group is thinking about ways that we can add some kind of deck-building rules in to the game. Anyone got any ideas?

For our campaign, everybody builds a deck of 10 to use throughout and then selects from there per mission rules.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 18, 2018

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
That was my suggestion also. I would allow people to change cards between games perhaps, especially as we are treating the campaign that we’re playing at the moment as a warm-up, but I could be convinced otherwise.

Fairly disappointed in the Gang War II Book. It really does not add a lot of new content, and it also fails to be the definitive equipment list they claimed it would be (it doesn’t include the Rending rule, for example, so chainswords aren’t properly usable. I’m guessing that it means the sword gets +1 Strength on a roll of 6 to hit.)

Edit: JFC there isn’t a consolidated price list for gear so things like the chainsword don’t have a price.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 18, 2018

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ineptmule posted:

That was my suggestion also. I would allow people to change cards between games perhaps, especially as we are treating the campaign that we’re playing at the moment as a warm-up, but I could be convinced otherwise.

Fairly disappointed in the Gang War II Book. It really does not add a lot of new content, and it also fails to be the definitive equipment list they claimed it would be (it doesn’t include the Rending rule, for example, so chainswords aren’t properly usable. I’m guessing that it means the sword gets +1 Strength on a roll of 6 to hit.)

Edit: JFC there isn’t a consolidated price list for gear so things like the chainsword don’t have a price.

Yeah, I'm not happy with the new NM rollout. They're really screwing the game up with the staggering of everything and spitting up the rules like this.

I have full confidence that they will put out a comprehensive rulebook collection in about a year that will be the same half-assed reprints of everything, mistakes and all.

I was so excited that they were revisiting NM and BB, and I think they've really dropped the ball with both, no pun intended.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The miniatures are good and the rules OK, bit the execution is just... gently caress me. A less backwards company would release the gang lists online or pack them with miniatures, and then maybe pump out rulebook a year.

But that just wouldn't be GW.

Snidhog
Dec 31, 2007
I get the impression that their business model mandated multiple expansion books and there just isn't enough material for that to work. I'm pretty sure half of GW2 is reprinted info from GW1.

Also, is there any scenario where you would want to pay for scum or bounty hunters? From what I understand you pay the base cost plus the price of all their gear, and that buys you their services for a single game. Surely you're better off just buying more permanent members for your gang, especially in the case of the named bounty hunters who cost between 200 and 300 creds.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
The minis rollout has been great. The pricing of the rules has been awful. 30 bucks for GW2 is stupid.

I understand why they have to stagger things, but then they should have changed the business model. i.e. you pay once for the rules and get access to an app that updates over time, or the rules could have been in a binder and they just sell you the additional pages at minimal cost, whatever.

My understanding of the lack of trading post in GW2 is that they're waiting for the FW weapon kits so that will be in GW3? I dunno.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I picked up gw2 blind and there's nothing in it that couldn't have been spread out over a half- dozen White Dwarf issues.

It's nice to have but $30 is crazy.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Is there any way to submit customer feedback? I know they put out that survey a while ago. Was it a one time thing?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Snidesworth posted:

I get the impression that their business model mandated multiple expansion books and there just isn't enough material for that to work. I'm pretty sure half of GW2 is reprinted info from GW1.

Also, is there any scenario where you would want to pay for scum or bounty hunters? From what I understand you pay the base cost plus the price of all their gear, and that buys you their services for a single game. Surely you're better off just buying more permanent members for your gang, especially in the case of the named bounty hunters who cost between 200 and 300 creds.

Can’t see anything about you paying for their gear. It’s the hire fee only, so the gear is what may make them worthwhile.

Snidhog
Dec 31, 2007

ineptmule posted:

Can’t see anything about you paying for their gear. It’s the hire fee only, so the gear is what may make them worthwhile.

I'd like to think that, but then I see the price of the named bounty hunters. They're not massively more powerful than regular bounty hunters and their cost is 200+ creds.

30 and 80 creds for scum/bounty hunters definitely seems very reasonable as one-game specials.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ineptmule posted:

Is there any way to submit customer feedback? I know they put out that survey a while ago. Was it a one time thing?

Their Facebook pages are pretty responsive. You might want to post on the NM page - it couldn't hurt.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Snidesworth posted:

I'd like to think that, but then I see the price of the named bounty hunters. They're not massively more powerful than regular bounty hunters and their cost is 200+ creds.

30 and 80 creds for scum/bounty hunters definitely seems very reasonable as one-game specials.

See I’m not sure that it works like that - I think what you’re referring to as Costs are the ratings, which is the hire fee and more or less the total value of their equipment. I’m not convinced that you couldn’t pretty much make any of the ‘named’ hirelings using the core Bounty Hunter rules? ... So they also cost 80 credits? Maybe?

Edit: Although on further reading, maybe not... they have quite different stats.

Also the third option for bounty hunter stats really sucks.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 19, 2018

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The game being split at release between 2D and 3D was a giant warning klaxon. It's killed all hope I had for the inevitable BFG / Adeptus Titanicus releases.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I’m loving the 2d version of the game.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yeah, 2D is good. You don't have falling shenanigans, but its way fast.

Frag out all day.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Fwiw, I'm not a blood bowl player, but it seems like the "quarterly release of rules and minis" thing comes from that. I think somebody said they haven't released any compendiums or even the main rules outside the box set for that. Perhaps they'll learn from this - it hasn't really taken off much in my area.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
First point is correct, they're following their bloodbowl model for NM, but the second is mistaken. They released a bloodbowl almanac in December that was the rule book and the first year's supplemental releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Sorry to hear the bad news about GW2. I preordered (from a retailer, not direct) and I too disagree with the the way they’re handling the Necromunda rules. Will be reading my copy tonight. But what I was really looking forward to, on top of orlock rules and background, was a comprehensive trading post and general weapon rules. Gutted to hear so much of an already slim book is other niffnaff and trivia.

Also, got Gang Cards. I like the presentation and the idea of tactic cards. Like stratagems in 40k, I feel it adds a fun twist to games. But why the everlasting gently caress are there different ones which aren’t printed in a book anywhere, and apparently the ‘generic’ gang tactics (ie not specific to Goliath/Escher/Orlock) aren’t even the same in each set!? That takes these away from the realm of useful references, and into collectible card territory. If anyone has played xwing or any other FFG things, they do that. Rules cards are split differently over sets with no rhyme or reason, to encourage you to buy more tat since it’s the only way to officially access certain rules. Absolutely hate it.

Compendium rules (and faqs/corrections) can’t come soon enough imo.