Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Zeniel posted:

For me it's when there was a badger in the dog kennel. Bart and Lisa tell Homer there's a badger in the dog kennel and Homer disbelieves them believing it's probably just Milhouse so they force Homer into some comedy violence against him. I noticed they kept on doing that, coming up with really convoluted reasons for Homer to do so physical comedy and just having Homer just scream a whole bunch, instead of y'know writing jokes. Maybe it's just me but I don't think physical comedy of that nature really works all that well in cartoons, or maybe it does and it was just crap in the Simpsons.

But yeah, the badger in the dog kennel was round the time I started noticing that the Simpsons wasn't really the same anymore. Also when the tv announcer started referring the Simpsons as Homer and the Simpsons.

Yeah, that episode is... *looking it up*... 18 years old but I still remember that scene well because Homer's chest is ripped open and you see his intestines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gclrcY3BzNE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
As funny today as it was 18 years ago.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

wow, Johnathan Tessier really loves how Homer has always sort of hated Millhouse

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

That episode is also instructive because the badger poo poo takes up 3 or 4 minutes and only serves to "set up" the actual plot, which is some unfunny garbage about area codes (guest starring The Who as themselves). Homer could have used a phone for any old reason, and the badger is literally dismissed, in a way that says "we just wasted 4 minutes of airtime and you're going to like it", and I don't know why I know any of this since this episode came a season after the Florida alligator one, which is where I thought I stopped watching

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I completely forgot about the Berlin Wall-esk area code episode. I think that or the season after was the last one I bothered to watch live, to actually go out of my way to see.

For a series that, when they cared said that the increased commercial time really hurt the story telling they really do like the over the top A plot and boring meandering B plot with a lot of throw away non sequitur sight gags.

I miss when a lot of the "random" quality came out more of ignorance than throw words at the wall and add a few more syllables or add an m. Like Homer trying to sound smarter than he is and using competely different word.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Lousy Smarch weather!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Smirr posted:

That episode is also instructive because the badger poo poo takes up 3 or 4 minutes and only serves to "set up" the actual plot, which is some unfunny garbage about area codes (guest starring The Who as themselves). Homer could have used a phone for any old reason, and the badger is literally dismissed, in a way that says "we just wasted 4 minutes of airtime and you're going to like it", and I don't know why I know any of this since this episode came a season after the Florida alligator one, which is where I thought I stopped watching

Even toward the end of the "golden age" as a teenager I was noticing how the whole first act was often a completely throwaway setup story that had no bearing on the actual plot.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The last time I voluntarily watched new Simpsons was when I watched a couple of random episodes from whatever season was newest at the time. 24, I think.

In one episode, Lisa met a celebrity guest star who was down on their luck, but Lisa's recognition of their talent inspired and reinvigorated them. With her support, they got their career back together, and started touring the US with Lisa in tow. Marge was wary that Lisa was just gonna end up getting hurt, but Lisa insisted on ditching whatever her current responsibilities were and going on the tour. Eventually the celebrity guest star got sick of Lisa and gradually pushed her out of the spotlight, until the final confrontation where it's revealed that celebrities aren't great people and shouldn't be your role models. Lisa realizes Marge is the most inspiring woman in her life and she goes back to Springfield and the two reconcile.

In the other episode, Lisa met a celebrity guest star who was down on their luck, but Lisa's recognition of their talent inspired and reinvigorated them. With her support, they got their career back together, and started touring the US with Lisa in tow. Marge was wary that Lisa was just gonna end up getting hurt, but Lisa insisted on ditching whatever her current responsibilities were and going on the tour. Eventually the celebrity guest star got sick of Lisa and gradually pushed her out of the spotlight, until the final confrontation where it's revealed that celebrities aren't great people and shouldn't be your role models. Lisa realizes Marge is the most inspiring woman in her life and she goes back to Springfield and the two reconcile.

One was a hobo, the other was dating Moe. I wanna say they both were some kind of jazz/cabaret musician, but I honestly don't remember. I'm sure there are many worse episodes out there, but that was the day I realized the Simpsons were well and truly dead.

I saw that episode too! Except the celebrity was Elon Musk! and they made drat sure to say Elon Musk! as often as possible.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
The episode that really had me giving up on the Simpsons came much later, I think, it was the one guest starred Stan Lee. Like seriously the dialogue in that episode is atrocious. And it's literally about Bart writing a webcomic that becomes popular. A horribly, unfunny webcomic.

I mean it does have the one gag in it where Stan Lee tries to cram a Thing action figure into the bat mobile, that was funny.

But then it's got poo poo like the line "My spidee senses tingling... Wait I did I say spidee? I meant stinky"

Ugh like seriously, someone rewatch that episode and tell me it's not some of the worst written dialogue.

Zeniel fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 19, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Zeniel posted:

For me it's when there was a badger in the dog kennel. Bart and Lisa tell Homer there's a badger in the dog kennel and Homer disbelieves them believing it's probably just Milhouse so they force Homer into some comedy violence against him. I noticed they kept on doing that, coming up with really convoluted reasons for Homer to do so physical comedy and just having Homer just scream a whole bunch, instead of y'know writing jokes. Maybe it's just me but I don't think physical comedy of that nature really works all that well in cartoons, or maybe it does and it was just crap in the Simpsons.

But yeah, the badger in the dog kennel was round the time I started noticing that the Simpsons wasn't really the same anymore. Also when the tv announcer started referring the Simpsons as Homer and the Simpsons.

Homer falling down springfield gorge was funny because the entire episode built up to it happening then just as he was rescued it happened a second time in the episode.

its probably happened a second time in a different episode now

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

its probably happened a second time in a different episode now

Homer and the Family Guy did it in a big "chicken fight".

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Homer and the Family Guy did it in a big "chicken fight".

Jesus wept

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zeniel posted:

Jesus wept

Technically it was a "Family Guy" episode, and all The Simpsons bigwigs will pretend that makes it OK.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
the simpsons/family guy crossover was actually funny in a what the gently caress am i watching kind of way, like it had reached the point that FAMILY GUY was coming to stay with the Simpsons, like the ultimate stupid gimmick cross over.

hell, dan harmon might even have an actual crossover planned with rick and morty instead of just the couch gag

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Data Graham posted:

E: ^^ Check out Mr. Burns' voice, Harry's hardly even trying to sound like him anymore

Isn't Harry Shearer one of the most vocal about "this poo poo sucks now"? Not surprised they're just phoning it in at this point.

Whorelord posted:

didn't they bring her back in the monorail episode? it always seemed really harsh and mean

Yeah she was "just back from rehab" or something which I think was in part supposed to be why it wasn't Beverly D'Angelo's voice coming out of her.

Did they get D'Angelo back for her return episode? I've only seen a bare handful of episodes after like season 11.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pelosi de Bundi posted:

the simpsons/family guy crossover was actually funny in a what the gently caress am i watching kind of way, like it had reached the point that FAMILY GUY was coming to stay with the Simpsons, like the ultimate stupid gimmick cross over.

I kinda liked it too. I liked the jokes that made fun of the difference in tone between the two. I thought it was much better than the boring rear end Futurama crossover.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

really queer Christmas posted:

I have no qualms admitting I’ve teared up at several episodes. Homer and the kids having true genuine moments is some great poo poo.

Also, as someone who only remembers new Lisa, holy poo poo was her character just completely destroyed.

The only one that really gets me is the fugu episode. Like when Homer says to Bart "I like your sheets" to Bart. I mean on the one hand, yes there's a joke that he can't think of anything better to say but I also like to think it shows the unconditional parental love. Sure Bart's a screw up but he's his screw up.

Houle posted:

I completely forgot about the Berlin Wall-esk area code episode. I think that or the season after was the last one I bothered to watch live, to actually go out of my way to see.

For a series that, when they cared said that the increased commercial time really hurt the story telling they really do like the over the top A plot and boring meandering B plot with a lot of throw away non sequitur sight gags.

I miss when a lot of the "random" quality came out more of ignorance than throw words at the wall and add a few more syllables or add an m. Like Homer trying to sound smarter than he is and using competely different word.

There were a couple of good jokes in that episode (Homer dialling to make a complaint about he area code changing but using the old area code in doing so) which just shows everything else up as the crap it is.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I'm watching the episode that features the "dental plan" gag. They show Burns as a little kid in 1909 which is conceivable given when the episode aired but now he'd be one of the oldest people on Earth. I know it's a cartoon but it shows how long the show has gone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ashmole posted:

I'm watching the episode that features the "dental plan" gag. They show Burns as a little kid in 1909 which is conceivable given when the episode aired but now he'd be one of the oldest people on Earth. I know it's a cartoon but it shows how long the show has gone.

Burns was always portrayed to be one of the oldest people on Earth.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Yeah even during golden age, Mr Burns' extreme age was a recurring gag.

Lisa's saying her first word while the USSR boycotts the Olympics dates the show a little.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Homer is perpetually 36. To the point that there's an origin episode where he works a drive-thru in the 80s to pay for Marges prenatal care and an origin episode where they break up so Homer can be in both Boys II Men and Nirvana.

So if you care about such things theres a Simpson's 90s that we watched happen on screen and a Simpson's 90s where Bart and Lisa weren't born yet and Homer was two music icons.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Even when the show was brand-new in the early 90s it had this weird retro feel like it was really taking place somewhere between the 50s and 70s.

Phone numbers that start with "KL5".

Volume dials on TVs.

The most popular sports include boxing and dog racing.

Cable TV is so expensive a middle-class blue-collar family can't hope to afford it.

The local power plant (surrounded by anti-nuclear sentiment that was absolutely an anachronism in its own right) is not a public utility but rather is run by a self-made tycoon who sits in a mahogany-trimmed office on the premises.

And of course in a town full of weirdos, every single last one of them goes to church every single week.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Data Graham posted:

Even when the show was brand-new in the early 90s it had this weird retro feel like it was really taking place somewhere between the 50s and 70s.

Volume dials on TVs.

Cable TV is so expensive a middle-class blue-collar family can't hope to afford it.

The local power plant (surrounded by anti-nuclear sentiment that was absolutely an anachronism in its own right) is not a public utility but rather is run by a self-made tycoon who sits in a mahogany-trimmed office on the premises.

And of course in a town full of weirdos, every single last one of them goes to church every single week.

the writers touched on that; it's when they grew up. that's why new simpsons sucks so bad in comparison, it either has to be "updated" or rebooted and that doesn't go well with what the show has already established.

-Skinner is a viet nam vet, but he's portrayed to be around 40ish. what are they gonna do, show him having flashbacks from Iraq war 2? who the hell is watching that will still get the vietnam war jokes
-Mayor quimby being a stand in for the Kennedy's has to be lost on some people.
-do they even do Mr Burn's is so old jokes anymore?

what IS the target age for this show anymore??

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Data Graham posted:

Volume dials on TVs.

Those were pretty much all things in the early 90s still. A lot of TVs, including mine, had dials and while my family had cable, a huge amount of my friend’s households didn’t. I think the 555 area code thing is still used in movies and tv now.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Pelosi de Bundi posted:

-do they even do Mr Burn's is so old jokes anymore?

Dunno, when was the episode where he coughed up his lung like an airbag?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

THE BAR posted:

Dunno, when was the episode where he coughed up his lung like an airbag?

goo goo gai pan, the one where they go to china...that was 2005

and that was an awful episode

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Data Graham posted:

Volume dials on TVs.

I think with the ever exponentially increasing speed at which technology develops they forget what TV was like at the time.

In about 1990 (possibly 1991), my parents bought a brand new TV, it was olive drab (yes the finish was flat). It had a VHF dial, a UHF dial, a volume dial, and a selector knob to switch between VHF and UHF. Granted they bought this TV so my brother and I could play Nintendo in another room, but these things still existed into the early 90's.

Also, cable was considered expensive until the mid 90's and it wasn't until the early 2000's that it was considered the standard. My family got cable in the summer of 1994 because my mom "got a good deal*" on installation. I get the feeling that up until that point cable wasn't really that great anyway, and you'd just get a bunch of crap channels, with TNT, TBS, USA, Nickelodeon, and MTV. I remember FX was just a cable channel that would show reruns of Married with Children and In Living Color.

*knowing my mom, it wasn't a good deal

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Razorwired posted:

Homer is perpetually 36. To the point that there's an origin episode where he works a drive-thru in the 80s to pay for Marges prenatal care and an origin episode where they break up so Homer can be in both Boys II Men and Nirvana.

So if you care about such things theres a Simpson's 90s that we watched happen on screen and a Simpson's 90s where Bart and Lisa weren't born yet and Homer was two music icons.

*Pushes glasses up nose*

I think they've actually slightly aged Homer up over the years to the point where he's supposed to be 38 or something now. It's sort of a weird thing because on the one hand Homer doesn't seem to have the socioeconomic background to put off having kids until his late 20s, but on the other hand the character has always seemed older than mid 30s in terms of appearance and affect.

What's really frightening is I can remember turning Bart's age...and now I'm not that many years off from being as old as Homer. Horrifying.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
and from what i saw in the newer episodes, they do keep updating stuff. their tv is a flat screen. their cars are still from the late 80's from the looks of it. hell they could milk atleast 5 more episodes out of the SIMPSONS GET A NEW CARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
GUEST STARRING LUPITA NYONG'O AS THE CAR SALESWOMAN WHO SOMEHOW LIVES WITH THE SIMPSONS BECAUSE ~THEY'LL NEVER STOP THE SIMPSONS~

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Pelosi de Bundi posted:

GUEST STARRING LUPITA NYONG'O AS THE CAR SALESWOMAN WHO SOMEHOW LIVES WITH THE SIMPSONS BECAUSE ~THEY'LL NEVER STOP THE SIMPSONS~

She lusts for Homer, as all female celebrity voices do.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i have extensively dealt with the issue of simpsons chronology thanks.
https://medium.com/@Birdbassador/the-simpsons-are-eternal-prisoners-of-suffering-and-are-begging-for-oblivion-5fced2845ee3

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
In the commentary for the first few seasons, if I recall correctly, they mention frequently how Springfield was originally intended to be a town slightly behind the times, a little microcosm of classic americana. Which is a big reason why it's so jarring to see them constantly referencing current (well, they're usually a few years late now) pop culture and technology.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, seems about right to me

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Iron Crowned posted:

I think with the ever exponentially increasing speed at which technology develops they forget what TV was like at the time.

In about 1990 (possibly 1991), my parents bought a brand new TV, it was olive drab (yes the finish was flat). It had a VHF dial, a UHF dial, a volume dial, and a selector knob to switch between VHF and UHF. Granted they bought this TV so my brother and I could play Nintendo in another room, but these things still existed into the early 90's.

Also, cable was considered expensive until the mid 90's and it wasn't until the early 2000's that it was considered the standard. My family got cable in the summer of 1994 because my mom "got a good deal*" on installation. I get the feeling that up until that point cable wasn't really that great anyway, and you'd just get a bunch of crap channels, with TNT, TBS, USA, Nickelodeon, and MTV. I remember FX was just a cable channel that would show reruns of Married with Children and In Living Color.

*knowing my mom, it wasn't a good deal

Oh, well do I remember these things. I was 13 when the Simpsons started, and we saw the first episodes on a 26-inch TV with dials and a screen that was medium greenish-gray when it was off.

It was old trash then though, and we were in the process right then of getting a whole new set of AV equipment, which was all slick black plastic and not a knob to be seen.

Aesthetically they were very much not trying to be cutting-edge. They were doing a show about behind-the-times schlubs. Hell, I think the TV even had a coat-hanger antenna on it now that I think about it.

The backwardness was absolutely on purpose, is what I'm saying.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I grew up in the late 80's / early 90's. We had a cable box or the lovely t.v. in my room that had dials still. And an HBO cylinder, because Tales From the Crypt was too expensive. I don't know anything about the phone numbers, but that entire post of things was normal at the time. :shrug:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The actual thing that dated Simpsons Classic back when it was new is Bart being obsessed with a television variety show clown. Now that's right out of the 50s

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Improbable Lobster posted:

The actual thing that dated Simpsons Classic back when it was new is Bart being obsessed with a television variety show clown. Now that's right out of the 50s

Krusty was designed to look like Homer :ssh:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Improbable Lobster posted:

this poo poo was on all kinds of local uhf channels back in the late 80s/early 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9IMebdCT6s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Iron Crowned posted:

Krusty was designed to look like Homer :ssh:

I never knew that. Looked it up on the Wikipedia page and apparently they planned a storyline where Krusty was Homer’s secret identity. That would have been pretty complicated.