Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

DancingShade posted:

Too high tech.

It was probably a $3M fence that actually cost $40k and they pocketed the rest like you said.

And the public will never know because the govt will just hide behind 'operational security' or some poo poo and never disclose what was actually involved in the upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

Baldly going down the path of fascism.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

froglet posted:

Speaking of which-

NIMBY's against increased density near places people work and study in WA.

For those not local - Nedlands is near UWA and Peppermint Grove is one of the most fabulously wealthy suburbs in WA. As in, you occasionally see "starter units" selling for over a million there.

Is Nedlands even that exclusive of a neighbourhood? I know Crawley has some cheap rentals because there is gently caress all to do around there besides take a bus to Perth or Fremantle. It's undesireable even for UWA students/staff.

Also lol at preserving the leafy green suburban character and the safety of the neighbourhood. The Stirling Highway is as charming as Barnaby Joyce and barely any more pedestrian-friendly than some of the industrial suburbs around Perth. It could easily be turned into a more lively place like Northbridge/Highgate or better with some mixed-use lowrises and upgrading the bus routes to light rail once the density gets higher but that would take effort.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Feb 19, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ora Tzo posted:

Baldly going down the path of fascism.

Potato going a bit moldy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think I went to Nedlands once in WA. It didn't seem that fancy but I was mainly expecting to be confronted by herds of roaming Neds and left disappointed.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

eXXon posted:

Is Nedlands even that exclusive of a neighbourhood? I know Crawley has some cheap rentals because there is gently caress all to do around there besides take a bus to Perth or Fremantle. It's undesireable even for UWA students/staff.

Also lol at preserving the leafy green suburban character and the safety of the neighbourhood. The Stirling Highway is as charming as Barnaby Joyce and barely any more pedestrian-friendly than some of the industrial suburbs around Perth. It could easily be turned into a more lively place like Northbridge/Highgate or better with some mixed-use lowrises and upgrading the bus routes to light rail once the density gets higher but that would take effort.

https://reiwa.com.au/suburb/nedlands/

$1,550,000 ANNUAL MED.PRICE
$1,930,000 UPPER QUARTILE
$1,250,000 LOWER QUARTILE

Median Weekly Household Income Nedlands - $2,422 Perth - $1,643

Compared to Peppermint Grove

$4,500,000 UPPER QUARTILE
$3,550,000 MEDIAN
$2,300,000 LOWER QUARTILE

Median Weekly Household Income Peppermint Grove $3,481 Perth $1,643

And Kelmscott

$410,000 UPPER QUARTILE
$327,500 MEDIAN
$285,000 LOWER QUARTILE

Median Weekly Household Income Kelmscott $1,264 Perth $1,643

And just because I live there, Scarborough

$870,000 UPPER QUARTILE
$760,000 MEDIAN
$687,000 LOWER QUARTILE

Median Weekly Household Income Scarborough $1,870 Perth $1,643

Overall, yes, I would say that its exclusive, based on house prices.

I agree that Stirling highway is a rancid shithole that I try my hardest to avoid at all costs.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I thought Nedlands has a Nando's? With a liquor licence!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

bigis posted:

I thought Nedlands has a Nando's? With a liquor licence!

Oh true it does, it's closer to Claremont than the uni but it's there. There's a dominoes too now you mention it. And a Jesters. Just no drive thru fare.

The uni is considering knocking down some of their older properties and building infill so maybe that will shut up the nimbys.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
If I may effort post for a minute, after having lived away for a decade I went back to Perth a couple of months ago and it was fascinating to see all my memories of the city being generally poo poo, drivers being insane, nothing staying open ever etc. were all completely accurate and validated.

I was staying with my friend who is in the process of getting her PhD. and it was really interesting talking to her about her experiences having stayed there vs mine having left. My friend is nearly 24 and she's already feeling constrained living in Perth because the reality is, for the field she's in, there just aren't opportunities for funding or career advancement (and as such, she's having to move to Melbourne in the next two years or face under/unemployment). Her PhD is in stroke research, so not something pointless like underwater basket weaving or whatever the gently caress. The crabs in a bucket mentality is real, and it exists because of a real lack of opportunity - why should you succeed if I can't? Why should you get access to some opportunity if I don't? Except instead of taking that valid point and saying "therefore I should have access to that opportunity too", it's "gently caress you I'm going to sabotage you."

It's hard to explain how insular and Wake in Fright it is if you haven't lived there, but it's no exaggeration to say people know each others family backgrounds and relatives going back three, sometimes four generations. You haven't experienced tall poppy syndrome until you've lived in Perth (and probably other similarly isolated areas, but I can't speak to them) with that amount of expectation and prejudgement placed on you.

I'm not really sure what my point with this post is, but I think it's important to remember (not for anyone ITT, thinking more about my irl friends generally) that not everywhere is as progressive as Melbourne, and understanding has to go both ways in order for any real progress to be made on most things, even if it's just for the sake of understanding how to better communicate with someone and where they're coming from so you can change their mind.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://streamable.com/a0rub

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Whitlam posted:

If I may effort post for a minute, after having lived away for a decade I went back to Perth a couple of months ago and it was fascinating to see all my memories of the city being generally poo poo, drivers being insane, nothing staying open ever etc. were all completely accurate and validated.

I was staying with my friend who is in the process of getting her PhD. and it was really interesting talking to her about her experiences having stayed there vs mine having left. My friend is nearly 24 and she's already feeling constrained living in Perth because the reality is, for the field she's in, there just aren't opportunities for funding or career advancement (and as such, she's having to move to Melbourne in the next two years or face under/unemployment). Her PhD is in stroke research, so not something pointless like underwater basket weaving or whatever the gently caress. The crabs in a bucket mentality is real, and it exists because of a real lack of opportunity - why should you succeed if I can't? Why should you get access to some opportunity if I don't? Except instead of taking that valid point and saying "therefore I should have access to that opportunity too", it's "gently caress you I'm going to sabotage you."

It's hard to explain how insular and Wake in Fright it is if you haven't lived there, but it's no exaggeration to say people know each others family backgrounds and relatives going back three, sometimes four generations. You haven't experienced tall poppy syndrome until you've lived in Perth (and probably other similarly isolated areas, but I can't speak to them) with that amount of expectation and prejudgement placed on you.

I'm not really sure what my point with this post is, but I think it's important to remember (not for anyone ITT, thinking more about my irl friends generally) that not everywhere is as progressive as Melbourne, and understanding has to go both ways in order for any real progress to be made on most things, even if it's just for the sake of understanding how to better communicate with someone and where they're coming from so you can change their mind.

It's a HELL of a lot better than it was growing up. But yeah the tall poppy poo poo is loving real, as well as the small town ignorance from a lot of born and raised. Nobody knows how to merge either.

At least the food and coffee are creeping up to a decent standard, and the cost of housing is more reasonable than it was 5 years back.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Don Dongington posted:

Nobody knows how to merge either.

Sweet Jesus, do not get me started on people merging onto highways while still only going 80.

Or slower!

:arghfist: :corsair:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Gorilla Salad posted:

Sweet Jesus, do not get me started on people merging onto highways while still only going 80.

Or slower!

:arghfist: :corsair:

In Perth you accelerate to 60 on the on ramp, immediately swerve across 2 lanes into the far right lane, and then proceed to do 10 under for 40km.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think I almost maybe have a job for at least 28 days!

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Ben Carson worked as a neurosurgeon in Perth in the 1980s and called his first son (who was born in Perth) Murray Nedlands Carson

https://thewest.com.au/news/australia/us-presidential-hopeful-ben-carson-saved-lives-in-perth-ng-ya-132400

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Don Dongington posted:

In Perth you accelerate to 60 on the on ramp, immediately swerve across 2 lanes into the far right lane, and then proceed to do 10 under for 40km.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
I mean that just sounds like driving to sydney and back. Why the hell DO people brake before merging onto an empty highway or changing lanes down here?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
pissth

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

meteor9 posted:

I mean that just sounds like driving to sydney and back. Why the hell DO people brake before merging onto an empty highway or changing lanes down here?

In my experience Victorians rarely indicate when changing lanes and never indicate when merging onto a highway.
Also Toorak Tractors queuing across intersections, people racing up on the inside lane so they can merge back into the traffic when they get stopped behind a parked car, etc.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Queensland drivers can't use roundabouts properly and freak out when it rains

(in reality, drivers everywhere are poo poo)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

The Before Times posted:

Queensland drivers can't use roundabouts properly and freak out when it rains

(in reality, drivers everywhere are poo poo)

Country people know where it's at (drive in the widest arc around the outside so you don't have to brake)

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Schlesische posted:

In my experience Victorians rarely indicate when changing lanes and never indicate when merging onto a highway.
Also Toorak Tractors queuing across intersections, people racing up on the inside lane so they can merge back into the traffic when they get stopped behind a parked car, etc.

It's a lot more hectic, but I feel like drivers here have better situational awareness because of it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I feel like the point is getting lost which is that we should develop a strategic nuclear arsenal and test it in Perth

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Schlesische posted:

To be fair, if you're on the on-ramp already, what else are you gonna do?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Driving 3-6 hours a day for seven years is the reason I am a misanthrope that doesn't believe human life has any intrinsic value.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Lol walking back an actually useful position on the minimum wage and cozying up to coal, change you can believe in

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Lol walking back an actually useful position on the minimum wage and cozying up to coal, change you can believe in

I guess the numbers are really not looking good for them in Batman.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
The preference flow will be really interesting. On the conservative/right wing side so far there's an Australian Conservative and a Justice Party candidate. I'm assuming ACP will not direct preferences to Greens over Labor but IDK about Justice Party. I think the Greens will get it, but the margin might be quite small.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

The Before Times posted:

The preference flow will be really interesting. On the conservative/right wing side so far there's an Australian Conservative and a Justice Party candidate. I'm assuming ACP will not direct preferences to Greens over Labor but IDK about Justice Party. I think the Greens will get it, but the margin might be quite small.

That seems to be the common view. it's not going to be a trouncing like Northcote, but Bhathal will win with a 1 or 2% margin.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SA Premier is currently walking about our office doing some election photo op stuff. Think they are very much the underdogs given how much they need to gain over the last election just to keep their current number of seats but hope SA Labor win, they're doing good stuff lately.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Solemn Sloth posted:

I feel like the point is getting lost which is that we should develop a strategic nuclear arsenal and test it in North Sydney

FTFY.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Bill Shorten says there's a 'role for coal' and Adani mine just 'another project'

get hosed blib hooton

It's amazing, every time he talks, you're reminded why you like him better when he doesn't.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Solemn Sloth posted:

I feel like the point is getting lost which is that we should develop a strategic nuclear arsenal and test it in Perth
Don't you mean 'on'? Oh wait it's Australian technology, so same/same Heck we can probably even squeeze in North Sydney at a pinch.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah he should just go full greens policy and join them in that sweet, sweet 10% of electors never to form government club.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Cartoon posted:

Don't you mean 'on'? Oh wait it's Australian technology, so same/same Heck we can probably even squeeze in North Sydney at a pinch.

Yeah yeah but what about Nuclear Fusion to the Node??

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Yeah he should just go full greens policy and join them in that sweet, sweet 10% of electors never to form government club.

uniromically this

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

Ah yes, renewable energy and wage growth, truly the sole domain of the lunatic fringe

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

GoldStandardConure posted:

uniromically this

Agreed, a Liberal government is better than a Labor government

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

Sure, we may have locked up asylum seekers in tropical death rape camps but at least we were in power when we did it, check mate leftards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

Ah yes, renewable energy and wage growth, truly the sole domain of the lunatic fringe

Pretty compelling that in our modern age where these things have ascended to greater importance that the Liberal party has experienced greater success in the electorate than anyone else.

• Locked thread