Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Reik posted:

The game could definitely use some difficulty/re-balancing mods and a re-speccing mod.

EDIT: They already have a mod that replaces Vaan with Reks.

From what I vaguely remember from the strategy guide doesn't Reks have stupid good stats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I have completely forgotten 12 after only having played it once back when it came out. I just vaguely remember leaving it running in a room with infinite spawning enemies while going to class and being frustrated with some weird hunts. Maybe I should give it another shot.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Nephzinho posted:

I have completely forgotten 12 after only having played it once back when it came out. I just vaguely remember leaving it running in a room with infinite spawning enemies while going to class and being frustrated with some weird hunts. Maybe I should give it another shot.

For better or worse that’s basically the ff12 experience

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I can't think of a better way to have a boring time than auto-grinding for levels until you horribly outlevel everything and nothing is a challenge. If you don't want the game to feel like "autopilot", don't do that.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Gonna ask a Super Mario RPG question here, because close enough.

Is there an easy way to tell if you've fully leveled up Mario's Jump special? I haven't been counting how many times I've used it at all, I'm just using it in every fight as I play through normally and refilling with Flower Tabs when I run out of FP.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Pneub posted:

Is there an easy way to tell if you've fully leveled up Mario's Jump special? I haven't been counting how many times I've used it at all, I'm just using it in every fight as I play through normally and refilling with Flower Tabs when I run out of FP.

I think its Mg. Power in the Special tab in the menu will be true to how strong it is, but if there's nothing there, then there's really no way to tell.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pneub posted:

Level up a special attack? I'm not aware of that being something you can do in Mario RPG.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Level up a special attack? I'm not aware of that being something you can do in Mario RPG.

Yeah, every two jumps gives one more power to it, up to a max of 255 jumps.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Schwartzcough posted:

I can't think of a better way to have a boring time than auto-grinding for levels until you horribly outlevel everything and nothing is a challenge. If you don't want the game to feel like "autopilot", don't do that.

Yeah you don't need to over grind for that to happen

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Secret of Mana is kind of a Final Fantasy so I'm gonna post about it here.

I really really really recommend the new remake, despite (or perhaps because of ) anything you may have heard about it.

It plays the same. It is the same. Except there's inn conversations where the main three spend their time dunking on every NPC, and each other.

Turn off the voice acting, trust me. Predictably, only the Sprite's VA gave a poo poo.

The Girl would've been fine if her actress had ever seen Mean Girls, and also hadn't hit the valium during recording.

The redone music is mostly baffling experimental mixed-genre nonsense, but with some tracks that just blow the originals out of the water. Nothing in between.

But what is most important is that they faithfully reproduced most, if not all, of the bugs. If that in itself doesn't have legitimate postmodern artistic value, nothing does.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 20, 2018

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah you don't need to over grind for that to happen

I didn't do it until the tower towards the end of the game in the tower that turned magic on and off or something that I am remembering funny. Something about a room with skeletons.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

FF 12's final dungeon is pretty rear end, isn't it? I mean I got through it, but man.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah it's not exactly a high point

always be doing hunts, being overlevelled for the final stretch makes it a lot more bearable

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

man nurse posted:

FF 12's final dungeon is pretty rear end, isn't it? I mean I got through it, but man.

Most of the dungeons from the Stillshrine on are a bit of a mess. I think only FFXV has managed to beat out FFXII as far as torturous development cycles go. The fact that the game manages to hold together as well as it does is a bit of a miracle.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

man nurse posted:

Wait what do you mean by final dungeon? Because if you mean the airship that poo poo still confuses me.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
unlike those other games though I can appreciate the gambit system for letting me set things up so that i can just move the left thumbstick around while everything that runs up to me dies. and also fast forward through the process.

it does say a lot about these games' fundamental mechanics and the weakness thereof though.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Alxprit posted:

I think its Mg. Power in the Special tab in the menu will be true to how strong it is, but if there's nothing there, then there's really no way to tell.

I forgot about that screen, but no, it just keeps saying it has 25 pwr. It looks like it might've stopped getting stronger around Booster Tower. It's usually doing about 170-300 damage with Mario at lvl. 9.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Raxivace posted:

Wait what do you mean by final dungeon? Because if you mean the airship that poo poo still confuses me.

Nah I was talking about the Pharos. It was just a slog.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sapozhnik posted:

unlike those other games though I can appreciate the gambit system for letting me set things up so that i can just move the left thumbstick around while everything that runs up to me dies. and also fast forward through the process.

it does say a lot about these games' fundamental mechanics and the weakness thereof though.

ff12 has the weakest mechanics since ff1

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm kind of set on getting platinum in 12 now. Seems like the hardest one is the beastiary medal. And getting the last technick.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, but not having the eternal tension of just running around waiting for that horrible screen-blur and then the camera starts panning dramatically across the battle map and the opening bars of the music are starting to make your blood boil as the characters pose and you sloooooowly wait until you're allowed to tap the one button to smack this incredibly boring trash mob and then two steps later it happens again

makes up for a lot.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Vermain posted:

Most of the dungeons from the Stillshrine on are a bit of a mess. I think only FFXV has managed to beat out FFXII as far as torturous development cycles go. The fact that the game manages to hold together as well as it does is a bit of a miracle.

Give some credit to FF13 and FF14 1.0!

I'm sensing a pattern here.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wait so the diamond armlet is the reason everything's a knot of rust all of a sudden?

It's... kinda dull. Is it really worth keeping this thing on?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No, you'll get knot of rust from everything that's not a fixed item or spell and potentially miss out on some useful stuff

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

seiferguy posted:

I'm kind of set on getting platinum in 12 now. Seems like the hardest one is the beastiary medal. And getting the last technick.

If you haven't lucked out already getting all the concurrences is really annoying.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

MMF Freeway posted:

If you haven't lucked out already getting all the concurrences is really annoying.

I'm terrible at mist chains, and can usually only get off a combo of 7 or 8. Getting black hole is gonna suck.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Vermain posted:

As difficult as FF12's development was, the team had enough of a vision to have a playable build of the game at e3 2004. Matsuno, the game's original director, was also there meeting with the press and answering questions. FF13 didn't come together until the team developed the demo that came with Advent Children Complete.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
FFXVPC is currently $40 pre-order at Greenman. So it's actually cheaper than XII. Get in on the ground floor of all the great mods that will surely exist like replacing every voiced line with I'VE COME UP WITH A NEW RECIPAY

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
How is the FFXV gameplay? It reads like it plays closer to a dark souls type game than a traditional JRPG.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Reik posted:

How is the FFXV gameplay? It reads like it plays closer to a dark souls type game than a traditional JRPG.

The combat isn't anything like Dark Souls in any way apart from being real-time.. You hold down attack, or you hold down block, or you use a spell. Sometimes you teleport.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Reik posted:

Whoever told you this is an incredible liar

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

The combat isn't anything like Dark Souls in any way apart from being real-time.. You hold down attack, or you hold down block, or you use a spell. Sometimes you teleport.

And the rest of the party is AI controlled? I assume you can still impact what their AI does by how you equip them?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reik posted:

Not at all.

it's basically a very very light action RPG where you have an attack button or dodge button you hold down plus some minor movement/warping stuff.

Reik posted:

And the rest of the party is AI controlled? I assume you can still impact what their AI does by how you equip them?

They are AI controlled but an update allows you to directly control them.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Imagine if Nier: Automata combat was easier. It's that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Imagine if Nier: Automata combat was easier. It's that.

It's not

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
There is some neat stuff you can do with the combat because your attack strings are controlled by directional inputs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I hear the gameplay is Dark Souls mixed with Puyo Puyo mixed with Mario is Missing.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
FFXV tries to make it's combat look really really awesome, like a really frantic shonen anime fight series, with dudes leaping, teleporting, and doing wild and crazy attack sequences, and by and large, it does manage to do that, but the tradeoff is that unlike the more menu driven FF combat styles, it's very unstrategic and very unnuanced.

Then they knock it out of the park with the summons.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The summons are so loving perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

FFXV summons are the first time the summon animations really match the damage they dole out. It really does feel like gods helping you out, whenever they feel like it.