Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

iOS used to group notifications by app instead of by day, but it never collapsed them down into a single top level entry, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

guys not having my battery percent immediately available for viewing in the top bar thing of the x is really giving me anxiety

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Battery % is for chumps

Turn that poo poo off and never look back

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It’s a bold move cotton

I remember one time I wiped my phone since it was jailbroken and the apple dude almost denied my screen replacement claim because the battery percentage would linger even after a wipe if you enabled it via JB for a short period there

“Mhmm well I see this phone must have been ILLEGALLY JAILBROKEN since it has this battery percentage”

This is like iPhone 4 days. Thanks for reading

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
My phone has been randomly adjusting the volume every now and then by itself. Either while nothing is playing or while I'm listening to music. It's weird

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Do you have an Apple Watch ?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Do you have an Apple Watch ?

Yeah, I'll double check next time to see if I could accidentally be scrolling on it, but I didn't think I was.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Happens to me all the time when I'm wearing anything long sleeved

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Awesome thanks!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Over There posted:

Yeah, I'll double check next time to see if I could accidentally be scrolling on it, but I didn't think I was.

You scrollin bro.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

It’s a bold move cotton

I remember one time I wiped my phone since it was jailbroken and the apple dude almost denied my screen replacement claim because the battery percentage would linger even after a wipe if you enabled it via JB for a short period there

“Mhmm well I see this phone must have been ILLEGALLY JAILBROKEN since it has this battery percentage”

This is like iPhone 4 days. Thanks for reading

My battery percentage is still stuck on because I enabled it via jailbreaking and I have so many texts and stuff in my backup that the thought of doing a fresh install is anxiety inducing.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Wait, how would moving your watch crown change the volume on your phone at a time when the phone isn’t playing music?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I dunno, if music is paused could The now playing screen still be up on the watch?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
yeah I thought my phone was haunted but was too embarrassed to ask this thread. I forgot how I figured out it was my watch.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
iOS 11.2.6 is released!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

qi is cheap

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UCZGS6S/
Samsung pad (not stand), $15.92

and includes fast charge wall charger

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I wish Apple would put Alarm status/set times on the lock screen. Now that even that tiny clock icon is gone from the status bar its a bitch to have to go into the Clock app to see if I actually set my alarm or not.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

D C posted:

I wish Apple would put Alarm status/set times on the lock screen. Now that even that tiny clock icon is gone from the status bar its a bitch to have to go into the Clock app to see if I actually set my alarm or not.

The control panel (top right swipe down) will show the old alarm icon in the top right if you've got any alarm active.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
When my wife tries to sign into iCloud on her iPhone 7, she is told that she needs to verify her sign-in on another device. However, she doesn't have another device (verified through the iCloud settings screen - only thing listed is iPhone 7).

At the bottom of the "verification pending" screen, there's a "Unable to verify?" option that says that iCloud settings will be wiped, but it's vague as to what exactly will be wiped, and I'm afraid to do that.

How the heck do I fix this?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BoyBlunder posted:

When my wife tries to sign into iCloud on her iPhone 7, she is told that she needs to verify her sign-in on another device. However, she doesn't have another device (verified through the iCloud settings screen - only thing listed is iPhone 7).

At the bottom of the "verification pending" screen, there's a "Unable to verify?" option that says that iCloud settings will be wiped, but it's vague as to what exactly will be wiped, and I'm afraid to do that.

You *might* be able to verify using iCloud.com, but I’m not sure. You can always try the support forums on Apple or even call them up.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

BoyBlunder posted:

Welcome to the Apple ecosystem, friend! Enjoy shopping for your wife’s new iPad so she can fully utilize the cloud!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Pretty sure iTunes is a "device" that allows that - so you can open iTunes and see if it wants to spit you out codes.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

BoyBlunder posted:

It erases HealthKit data. It’s usually stuff people don’t even notice. Just erase it and create a new keychain.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

I've had to do this a few times and literally never noticed anything gone. That also ended up giving me the option to text myself the code, which should work for her.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Has anyone moved from gmail to iCloud email? I’ve basically resigned myself to being fully in the Apple ecosystem and the only thing left is gmail I think. Is iCloud email a decent service or should I stick to Google reading my emails?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Screw both of those. I use these guys: https://www.tuffmail.com Been with them for 12 years now, never raise my prices, always give me more storage when I ask for it, downtime is very very very rare, fantastic spam filtering although it takes a bit of work to configure, and they're in Canada so at least any hypothetical government snooping is done under sane laws.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dugong posted:

Has anyone moved from gmail to iCloud email? I’ve basically resigned myself to being fully in the Apple ecosystem and the only thing left is gmail I think. Is iCloud email a decent service or should I stick to Google reading my emails?

I set up forwarding ages ago in Gmail. This allows me to still use my gmail address to give most people, but still have everything come in to iCloud account. It's worked out well.

Bonus, I can use gmail search features if iCloud falls short, or even snag an email I may have deleted on iCloud.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

icloud mail is a lost cause if you want a domain that is not icloud.com. If you don't care about that, it's fine.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Dugong posted:

I've been using icloud for a long time. It's an old @me account. It's fine. It's email.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
So, I have an iphone 5s that I really like, it does all the stuff I need it to do just fine and I've replaced the charging port and the battery to keep it alive as I really don't want or need a new phone. I'm always wary of updates so I generally put them off as long as possible until the bugs seem to have been worked out. The other night my phone updated to iOS 11.2.3, and immediately I experienced terrible battery performance and erratic charging. At this point I can barely get the phone to take enough of a charge to turn on, and I've tried multiple chargers, cables (including factory Apple stuff), and battery packs.

I know the obvious solution here is "get a new phone" but I really don't want to give in and let a software update ruin a perfectly good device. Any way I can get iOS 10 back on there? It seems that it's no longer supported by Apple so any tips or whatever would be greatly appreciated.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Give it a few days to stop sucking. It’s redoing the file system or some poo poo in the background.

If it doesn’t stop sucking then go get a jitterbug or something. Something suitable for a person of your means.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've been using icloud for a long time. It's an old @me account. It's fine. It's email.

Same. My gmail account filled up with garbage nonsense almost immediately so I never use it, my iCloud email is fine. Email sucks.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

Bum the Sad posted:

Give it a few days to stop sucking. It’s redoing the file system or some poo poo in the background.

If it doesn’t stop sucking then go get a jitterbug or something. Something suitable for a person of your means.

Dude if I could still get a Nokia brickphone I would 100% do so. Spend too much time staring on my goddamn phone anyways.

I can barely get it to stay on all day but I'll try to wait it out, maybe an update will fix it but I'm not gonna hold my breath

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Pivo posted:

Screw both of those. I use these guys: https://www.tuffmail.com Been with them for 12 years now, never raise my prices, always give me more storage when I ask for it, downtime is very very very rare, fantastic spam filtering although it takes a bit of work to configure, and they're in Canada so at least any hypothetical government snooping is done under sane laws.

Judging by the site design: how's life in 2006?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Dude if I could still get a Nokia brickphone I would 100% do so. Spend too much time staring on my goddamn phone anyways.

I can barely get it to stay on all day but I'll try to wait it out, maybe an update will fix it but I'm not gonna hold my breath

They are literally selling this https://www.nokia.com/en_us/phones/nokia-3310-3g

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

carry on then posted:

Judging by the site design: how's life in 2006?

People who administrate mail servers aren't known for being flashy.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I use these guys: https://posteo.de/en
I like their attitude regarding privacy.
No push email in iOS but fetching once an hour is enough. Email doesn't need to be instant. That's what SMS and instant messengers are for.

Also I guess paying for something that can be had free isn't everyone's thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pivo posted:

People who administrate mail servers aren't known for being flashy.

Probably because they're still trying to figure out m4 syntax.

Or if they're on the cutting edge, fussing over the contents of master.cf

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I have a @me.com email that I never use instead of @icloud.com and apple employees freak out whenever they see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I kinda wish I'd gotten a @mac.com email. Shorter than @icloud I guess.