Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah the soundtrack was definitely something I looked forward to, and Burn kills it.

I only ever watched The Soup from time to time, so it’s nice to jump into The Joel McHale Show from the start. I like the fact he’s now completely uncut and hope they use the Netflix sound as often as possible.

I loved the opening video clip, but I think it would've been perfect if it had started at the point where he said "Where was I? Oh right, The Bachelor."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Maxwell Lord posted:

MGM barely exist as a studio. How the gently caress are they gonna run a streaming service?

By trying to leverage 20 years of beloved TV and goodwill based around the Stargate franchise, but they've failed to realize on every level why people liked it and what was good about it just as they did when their mishandling of it eventually killed the franchise.

raditts posted:

Has there been any non-bad Stargate since Atlantis?

Universe got OK, but only just OK, toward the end of its run... but it still wasn't Stargate.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Like the new Trek ain't Trek. It never bothered me, I enjoy them both.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Like the new Trek ain't Trek. It never bothered me, I enjoy them both.

Well, that's a bit disingenuous isn't it? Discovery still features flying around in spaceships with a dumb saucer and fighting aliens and the prime directive and all that poo poo.

SG:U didn't use the Stargate.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I never saw The Soup but I’m watching McHale’s new show now and......this......isn’t funny at all?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
So glad Joel McHale is back.

Also, do pedestrians in South Korea just get hit by cars constantly, or what?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

I never saw The Soup but I’m watching McHale’s new show now and......this......isn’t funny at all?

Well it's The Soup in everything but name so you're probably not going to like it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just don’t get it. The writing is almost entirely the most basic, generic level of “snark humour” I’ve ever seen. I have no idea why this would be popular with any of you, for real. If a fictional show had this level of quality you all would despise it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

I just don’t get it. The writing is almost entirely the most basic, generic level of “snark humour” I’ve ever seen. I have no idea why this would be popular with any of you, for real. If a fictional show had this level of quality you all would despise it.

The pull for me has always been the clips themselves. McHale’s snark is just a button on it; it’s hit or miss, but either way the damage is done.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

The pull for me has always been the clips themselves. McHale’s snark is just a button on it; it’s hit or miss, but either way the damage is done.

That I get. Like, the video of the basketball announcer was funny, but then him doing the impression afterwards was painfully bad. Still, may just keep watching and tone out whenever McHale talks.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

Didn't say it was good. It's a less cruel/racist/sexist version of Tosh.0 basically.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

I saw a video about handguns from her

It looked like a youth cult-militia indoctrination/instruction video.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What the gently caress is Poppy?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Escobarbarian posted:

That I get. Like, the video of the basketball announcer was funny, but then him doing the impression afterwards was painfully bad. Still, may just keep watching and tone out whenever McHale talks.

Its still a million times better and more convenient than having to scroll through some lovely impenetrable Twitter thread or obnoxious YouTube compliation.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

Part of what makes The Soup (and now TJMSWJM) was how it revels in its mediocrity. Making fun of their own zero-effort graphics and "set", Joel and guests putting in as little effort as possible reading the teleprompter correctly, the jokes being lame and obvious.

But it's all intentional. It's not trying to be good or brilliant, because the stuff it makes fun of isn't. If it went in all highbrow and with great production values, the show would come off as completely-mean spirited and hurtful. So they put in as little effort as possible, relying on Joel's remarkable charisma to hold it all together. And, for some, it totally works.

It's not dissimilar to MST3K and the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. All those shows are stylistic sucky because it makes them endearing.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 19, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rarity posted:

I'm honestly not sure I really want to know and potentially open a Pandora's box

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

She has 50 million followers!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Joel McHale Show: a high-definition professionally edited montage of people in South Korean dramas being hit by cars with five seconds of Joel McHale smirking at the end, still less than a minute long

Twitter: "DAE notice how bad drivers are in kdrama?? #injoke #meme #hashtag*", 20 different poorly edited and compressed video embeds separated by a wall of @s and reactions

YouTube: Top 10 Korean Driver FAILS, random thing on the thumbnail circled with the obnoxious YouTube personality posing with their mouth open, 12 minutes long

Facebook: When drivers from [where you live] go to China!! 😂👌

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

The Joel McHale Show: a high-definition professionally edited montage of people in South Korean dramas being hit by cars with five seconds of Joel McHale smirking at the end, still less than a minute long

Twitter: "DAE notice how bad drivers are in kdrama?? #injoke #meme #hashtag*", 20 different poorly edited and compressed video embeds separated by a wall of @s and reactions

YouTube: Top 10 Korean Driver FAILS, random thing on the thumbnail circled with the obnoxious YouTube personality posing with their mouth open, 12 minutes long

Facebook: When drivers from [where you live] go to China!! 😂👌

All of these options are terrible.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Accretionist posted:

I saw a video about handguns from her

It looked like a youth cult-militia indoctrination/instruction video.

It's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-B7KRjByzI

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Poppy is unironically great.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
What's great is that she can apparently pay bills and poo poo by talking funny on youtube

The future is absurd

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzZrctQcNf8

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

So this is what the alien from Under the Skin has been up to.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Accretionist posted:

What's great is that she can apparently pay bills and poo poo by talking funny on youtube

The future is absurd

She tours and has an album out.

Also she's an actress and Poppy is the creation of a pretentious artist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw_tf9qMaXs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4nHLHDtyVA

precision fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 19, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Somebody stop this world I want to get off :gonk:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rarity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79hRMiSMxFY

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

And the '90s stuff is only just starting. We've got remakes of... Akira,

Is Akira really a 90s thing? I kinda consider that pretty timeless; it's not something that was really a fad, weebs have pretty much always considered it GOAT-caliber.

I also feel like Highlander is... odd to classify by decade, because the movie is 80s as gently caress, but the show is the most 90s thing ever and then Endgame is the most 2000s thing ever. I'd say more than being of any particular decade, Highlander is just pretty much always a hardcore period piece of whatever era it's made in (meaning the new one'll probably have synthwave, Snapchat selfies, parkour, and at least one immortal Youtuber)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It didn't come out in the 90s, but it took a fair while to get a following in the West I guess.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I remember seeing this poo poo on late night TV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIfu-FsxG00

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBSG3CRAtwk

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Poppy is a glossy Tammy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAq6gj21A54

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watched the first episode of Joel McHale and man, he couldn't be happier about that "kunt" joke.

Also, I guess Jason Priestly is tiny.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I never watched The Soup and I enjoyed the first episode of the McHale show. The Korea segment was great and the low effort jokes kinda worked. I'll keep watching I guess.

Is Z-Nation any good? Watched the pilot on a whim and I really liked it. It looks cheap as hell but the world building and the characters seem interesting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IRQ posted:

Well, that's a bit disingenuous isn't it? Discovery still features flying around in spaceships with a dumb saucer and fighting aliens and the prime directive and all that poo poo.

SG:U didn't use the Stargate.

I don't know if you're serious but they literally used the gate all the time on SGU.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hot Take: I never liked McHale's Soup. I always thought he had wooden delivery and he really liked laughing at his own jokes. Which I guess wasn't totally uncommon for the Soup hosts but it always stood out more to me with him.

I'm probably just old and secretly miss that weird spot on John Henson's head.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

STAC Goat posted:

Hot Take: I never liked McHale's Soup. I always thought he had wooden delivery and he really liked laughing at his own jokes. Which I guess wasn't totally uncommon for the Soup hosts but it always stood out more to me with him.

I'm probably just old and secretly miss that weird spot on John Henson's head.

"Guy who thinks he's above all this bullshit but is really just in on the joke" is kind of McHale's bread and butter, always has been. Doesn't work for everyone, that's for sure.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Popelmon posted:

I never watched The Soup and I enjoyed the first episode of the McHale show. The Korea segment was great and the low effort jokes kinda worked. I'll keep watching I guess.

Is Z-Nation any good? Watched the pilot on a whim and I really liked it. It looks cheap as hell but the world building and the characters seem interesting.

I can’t call Z Nation good, but it is definitely fun.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Z-Nation walks a really weird line between being incredibly schlocky and stupid and still taking itself seriously enough to treat deaths with gravitas. Its really weird and they kind of dance across the line for a couple of seasons sort of making it work. Eventually it kind of became about making the world crazier and crazier and doing more weird and goofy poo poo. Like the Z-Nation writing room sometimes seems like a bunch of stoners coming up with the goofy things they imagine would exist in a zombie apocalypse. At this point I think its kind of run its course and mined all the humor it really can while becoming just too ridiculous to have any gravitas. But it was fun for a few seasons.

Timby posted:

"Guy who thinks he's above all this bullshit but is really just in on the joke" is kind of McHale's bread and butter, always has been. Doesn't work for everyone, that's for sure.

Yeah, that's fair. I've just never really been into McHale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I'm on ep 4 now and I still like Z-Nation. I'm also somewhere in the middle of season 2 of Van Helsing and between these two shows The Walking Dead just feels redundant.

Z-Nation certainly feels a lot goofier but I just can't hate a show that has DJ Qualls as the Dj (heh) of the apocalypse.