Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Volcott posted:

But John Denver never died.

He may live on in your heart, but he doesn't live on in the shared universe we all inhabit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
Probably posted already but I had one of these bad boys for about a year before it got broken and then was immediately superseded by actual MP3 players. The MP3 CD walkman, burn a CD with 100 songs!!! Have fun skipping ahead to the one you actually want to listen to!!

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Doctor posted:

Probably posted already but I had one of these bad boys for about a year before it got broken and then was immediately superseded by actual MP3 players. The MP3 CD walkman, burn a CD with 100 songs!!! Have fun skipping ahead to the one you actually want to listen to!!

Sony must have been getting pretty desperate by that point if they deigned to allow use of normal mp3 files instead of just ATRAC.

I had an iriver mp3 CD player that was nice, although it had like 10000 buttons. That was the trend I guess until later when everyone started copying the iPod 4 (I think) by putting wheel controls on everything and not having physical volume buttons.

mystes has a new favorite as of 23:42 on Feb 15, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

Argh. Reply isn't edit.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Der Kyhe posted:

In a civilized country with annual road-worthy inspections they give you a shitlist that needs to be fixed within one month or you have to invest on a bus pass.

I come from MN. I can duct tape a hair dryer to a cat and call it road legal car as long as I pay for tabs.

Road worthiness? What is this word "Road worthiness"?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

mostlygray posted:

I come from MN. I can duct tape a hair dryer to a cat and call it road legal car as long as I pay for tabs.

Road worthiness? What is this word "Road worthiness"?

I’m from Georgia and we can duct tape that hair dryer to an even shittier cat as long as it’s farts aren’t bad enough to trip an emissions test.

Then again our cars last longer because winter isn’t actively trying to kill us every day.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

mystes posted:

Sony must have been getting pretty desperate by that point if they deigned to allow use of normal mp3 files instead of just ATRAC.

I had an iriver mp3 CD player that was nice, although it had like 10000 buttons. That was the trend I guess until later when everyone started copying the iPod 4 (I think) by putting wheel controls on everything and not having physical volume buttons.

the iriver was so rad, way better than the first gen ipod i inherited later, but stupid skipping kept me from ever being able to run with music on until much later.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

ryonguy posted:

And Stan Rogers. :canada:

How I wish I was in Sherbrook now...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

How I wish I was in Sherbrook now...
:black101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2YT8HDlCp4

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Ew.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

The Doctor posted:

MP3 CD players were pretty decent in cars, for that period in the 00's before USB MP3 players came to light. Much better than dealing with audio-CD's for sure, and gently caress radio.

Now I just have a miniature USB stick plugged into my headunit, filled with like 20 GB of music that plays on endless loop while driving. So great.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
MP3 CDs got me through a couple of years of working nights at a gas station during those few years before smart phones were a thing but MP3 players were expensive enough I worried about having one on a counter in reach of the public. Had a little Walmart CD boombox that could play MP3 CDs. I'd burn podcasts and audiobooks and customers would look at me like I was a Martian listening to that stuff.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Doctor posted:

Life hack: only ever have the absolute best songs on your Mix CD/tape/Itunes/whatever.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I had one of those visor disc holders with 20 MP3 CDs, my entire music collection.sd cw

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Then again our cars last longer because winter isn’t actively trying to kill us every day.

No, it only tries to kill you every couple of years https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZS9iSXKMLg

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Pilsner posted:

MP3 CD players were pretty decent in cars, for that period in the 00's before USB MP3 players came to light. Much better than dealing with audio-CD's for sure, and gently caress radio.

Now I just have a miniature USB stick plugged into my headunit, filled with like 20 GB of music that plays on endless loop while driving. So great.

For my first car, I got a head unit that was “MP3 Ready”. I got all excited, burned a disc of music, and... nothing.

“MP3 Ready” was apparently some esoteric marketing term for an aux jack. Like, what the gently caress? Ultimately the aux jack is preferable :to reading MP3 discs but who the hell greenlit that garbage decision?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dewgy posted:

For my first car, I got a head unit that was “MP3 Ready”. I got all excited, burned a disc of music, and... nothing.

“MP3 Ready” was apparently some esoteric marketing term for an aux jack. Like, what the gently caress? Ultimately the aux jack is preferable :to reading MP3 discs but who the hell greenlit that garbage decision?
I think there were a bunch of other cases where "xx ready" was used to mean a device that couldn't actually support something without additional equipment, but I'm having trouble remembering what they were now.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mystes posted:

I think there were a bunch of other cases where "xx ready" was used to mean a device that couldn't actually support something without additional equipment, but I'm having trouble remembering what they were now.

Well, there was Windows Vista Capable or something where they meant "maybe, slowly, with all the features turned off."

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

mystes posted:

IIRC in Australia when we were making the switch over to Digital TV, "HD Ready" just meant you could plug in a set top box while there was some other designation for actually being ready out of the box.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

mystes posted:

I bought a head unit that was "Sirus XM ready" but you had to buy an additional three-digit dongle.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
HD ready is/was "can display 720p", device most likely doesn't contain a digital tuner or if it does, it doesn't see HD channels.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
As a 30+ adult, I often hum tunes that are stuck in my head while working throughout the day. Most common is the Super Mario theme, followed by the Darkwing Duck and then Inspector Gadget themes. Sometimes that "mental track" jumps to a modern song for awhile, maybe a few days, but it usually always shifts back to one of those three. And, 100% of the time, there is a second, background track that is always mentally humming the Duck Tales theme song. No breaks, 100% of the time. If I am schizophrenic, all of the other voices in my head are preoccupied with the goddamned Duck Tales music, and therefore it keeps my sanity safe.

However, The Floppotron just broke that sanity today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2muqesqltk

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

carry on then posted:

Well, there was Windows Vista Capable or something where they meant "maybe, slowly, with all the features turned off."

Vista Ready meant "Can this computer that can only just comfortably run XP, run our newest OS with literally ten times the minimum hardware requirements? Uhh... Yes?" just so manufacturers didn't have to scrap their bottom-dollar budget PC lineup for the next year.

And honestly, if Microsoft had insisted that no, this really is the minimum system requirements, congrats about your midrange lineup suddenly becoming your bottom-dollar budget lineup and sorry about all the computers we just made you scrap, Windows Vista would be fondly remembered as a solid and respectable OS instead of the flaming dumpster fire it's remembered as now. After all, Windows 7 is literally Vista with a new taskbar and UAC turned down to tolerable levels out of the box.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

mystes posted:

I'm afraid I fell for a "1080p compatible" tv back in the day(it downscaled stuff to 720p while still displaying 1080p in the corner)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

rndmnmbr posted:

And honestly, if Microsoft had insisted that no, this really is the minimum system requirements, congrats about your midrange lineup suddenly becoming your bottom-dollar budget lineup and sorry about all the computers we just made you scrap, Windows Vista would be fondly remembered as a solid and respectable OS instead of the flaming dumpster fire it's remembered as now. After all, Windows 7 is literally Vista with a new taskbar and UAC turned down to tolerable levels out of the box.

I never, ever had any real issues with Vista once I got UAC sorted. Only reason I even upgraded to 7 was that was when I learned about 32 vs 64-bit, and realized my RAM and CPU were being hamstrung by the 32-bit version of Vista my prebuilt came with, and 7 was like a $40 upgrade vs paying whatever for 64-bit Vista.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Enourmo posted:

I never, ever had any real issues with Vista once I got UAC sorted.

This was my experience too. Vista was good once you made a few minor tweaks. Heck, you probably wouldn't have to tweak UAC if you installed it today, most programs these days respect limited user accounts and don't default to requiring local admin.

e. Windows 10 is pretty solid too once you find and turn off all the telemetry crap. That and actually find the real control panel, although they should eventually get everything rolled into Settings.

rndmnmbr has a new favorite as of 07:38 on Feb 19, 2018

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

cisneros posted:

I'm afraid I fell for a "1080p compatible" tv back in the day(it downscaled stuff to 720p while still displaying 1080p in the corner)

I mentioned the low-end projectors a few weeks ago and even those seem to mention 1080p resolutions on the box, but then clarifies it with something like, "**capable of accepting an input source signal of 1080p and converting it to the projector's native resolution of 320x480."

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Cables, why are all cables still dumb as poo poo?

Even the “smart” ones have been made stupid in various ways.

Let’s take usb. Any usb 1,2,3 device works on any usb 1,2 or 3 host (assuming you’ve got the right drivers and bios flags specified, but that’s another kettle of fish). This is great. And usb-3 has a different port and colour so you know what’s what.

then some genius decided to come up with usb-c. Also great, no superposition plugs.

Then some idiot decided to put thunderbolt down the same port. But not every usb-c port is thunderbolt 3, and possibly not every thunderbolt port is usb. The wheels are starting to wobble.

Then someone decided to put DisplayPort down usb-c. But only if your host device is wired up properly, and even if it is, compatibility varies (as far as I can tell, there’s DisplayPort down usb-c directly, and DisplayPort down thunderbolt).

Thunderbolt has multiple classes of cables for various features and speeds.

Then you’ve got HDMI that has versioned cables, loving cables that go obsolete.

And to top it off, you’ve got these brand new protocols, supporting a myriad of features, with both host guest and cable supporting different features. But nothing to diagnose problems. I spent 3 hours trying to work out why my monitor was running in 16bit colour the other day. All because the cable was having issues. But neither host or guest had the gumption to say “I’m running in 16bit, but you tried 24bit, replace the cable”

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

This is the greatest thing I have ever seen.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Vavrek posted:

This is the greatest thing I have ever seen.

Horse Clocks posted:

Cables, why are all cables still dumb as poo poo?

then some genius decided to come up with usb-c. Also great, no superposition plugs.

USB-C is it's own evil, because it can be usb v. 2 or 3 and there's not way to tell. Phones with USB-C will usually be the v. 2 variant, because why not.'

Also lol at thunderbolt whose cable length is 1m

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

JediTalentAgent posted:

I mentioned the low-end projectors a few weeks ago and even those seem to mention 1080p resolutions on the box, but then clarifies it with something like, "**capable of accepting an input source signal of 1080p and converting it to the projector's native resolution of 320x480."

Ahhh the nature's antialiasing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vic posted:

Ahhh the nature's antialiasing

Jokes on you: they use nearest‐neighbour downsampling.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
And then there's the DualShock 3, which refused to charge unless you had a USB cable capable of sending data and a device on the other end capable of sending the handshake. Because a consequence of using USB as a charging standard means there are some "USB" cables where the middle two data pins aren't even wired up!

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

As a 30+ adult, I often hum tunes that are stuck in my head while working throughout the day. Most common is the Super Mario theme, followed by the Darkwing Duck and then Inspector Gadget themes. Sometimes that "mental track" jumps to a modern song for awhile, maybe a few days, but it usually always shifts back to one of those three. And, 100% of the time, there is a second, background track that is always mentally humming the Duck Tales theme song. No breaks, 100% of the time. If I am schizophrenic, all of the other voices in my head are preoccupied with the goddamned Duck Tales music, and therefore it keeps my sanity safe.

you made me expect Floppotron DuckTales and now I am sad.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Boiled Water posted:

USB-C is it's own evil, because it can be usb v. 2 or 3 and there's not way to tell. Phones with USB-C will usually be the v. 2 variant, because why not.'

Also lol at thunderbolt whose cable length is 1m
Then there's Power Delivery. You've got a device with a USB-C connector. Will it charge itself from a Type-C charger? Will it charge another device? At what rate? :iiam:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Horse Clocks posted:

Then you’ve got HDMI that has versioned cables, loving cables that go obsolete.

HDMI bandwidth needs have increased considerably since HDMI has been a thing.

1080p at 60hz could get by with less than 4Gbps.

4K at 60Hz need nearly 13Gbps (newer cables are rate at 18Gbps).

The next level of calbe are rated at 42.6Gbps and support 8k at 120hz in some configurations.

Edit: Think of it this way. All HDMI cables should be compatable with pretty much any display and system, but you need to make sure that you have a high enough bandwidth for the video format you are sending. This is just like computer networking. You could use a CAT3 cable on any modern system, but you probably are not going to get 1Gb connections out of it, and VERY unlikely to get 10Gb.

Lowen SoDium has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Feb 19, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Enourmo posted:

And again the brake-by-wire is a technical necessity. Hybrids use regenerative braking (turn the drive motors into generators to recharge the batteries, which slows the car in the process), but that doesn't work above 5-10 mph,

I test-drove a Model S and the regenerative braking worked just fine above 5-10 mph. Lift up off the gas and regen instantly starts slowing you down (which is kind of cool because you can modulate your speed up and down with just the gas pedal), at least at speeds up to the 70mph or so I pushed it to. Press your foot on the brake pedal and you get friction braking.

Why would the systems in hybrids only work at such slow speeds?

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Feb 19, 2018

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I think he meant the opposite. The regenerative braking on a Prius doesn't work BELOW 7mph. Above 7mph is a combo of friction braking and regen braking.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

HDMI bandwidth needs have increased considerably since HDMI has been a thing.

1080p at 60hz could get by with less than 4Gbps.

4K at 60Hz need nearly 13Gbps (newer cables are rate at 18Gbps).

The next level of calbe are rated at 42.6Gbps and support 8k at 120hz in some configurations.

Edit: Think of it this way. All HDMI cables should be compatable with pretty much any display and system, but you need to make sure that you have a high enough bandwidth for the video format you are sending. This is just like computer networking. You could use a CAT3 cable on any modern system, but you probably are not going to get 1Gb connections out of it, and VERY unlikely to get 10Gb.

Sure. you can’t magically push more bits down an older wire.

But at least do the courtesy of either
A) conveying to users it’s not working right.
B) make the connector physically different

so when I try and plug the 2001 era cable into my 8k tv it either tells me it’s only able to negotiate 8k@10hz and maybe I should upgrade my cable.
Or the plug doesn’t fit in the socket.

Instead of exhibiting one of many behaviours that mask the incompatibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
I'm pretty sure you could tell if your TV was running at 10hz

photosensitive epileptics no https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q38l0aYGBo